The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 9th June 2017
  #1891
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_of_ours View Post
I wish some users of this guy's stuff would put out some sample vids. This whole product line seems esoteric to me and his vids kind of mess with my brain and make me impatient. The music samples he uses are bizarre to my ear making it hard to distinguish "improvement". I keep skipping ahead in the vids hoping I will get to the good part. Yes, I could download and try the plugs myself. I could also fly to China if I want to try real Chinese food. Life is short and willpower is a word for a reason.
Your loss, mate, your loss. Esoteric and extremely excellent. Pressure4 is my favourite itb comp. And the gold nuggets are a many.....

Anyway, I didn't mean to cause an OT here, but a man asked about cheap tape and so there...
Old 9th June 2017
  #1892
Lives for gear
 
JulenJVM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_of_ours View Post
I wish some users of this guy's stuff would put out some sample vids. This whole product line seems esoteric to me and his vids kind of mess with my brain and make me impatient. The music samples he uses are bizarre to my ear making it hard to distinguish "improvement". I keep skipping ahead in the vids hoping I will get to the good part. Yes, I could download and try the plugs myself. I could also fly to China if I want to try real Chinese food. Life is short and willpower is a word for a reason.
So you want others to make the effort of making a video, but can´t make the effort yourself of downloading the dll?

His videos don´t tell me much either about the sound, the music is not conventional and he usually takes the plugin to the extremes.

What is revealing is trying the plugins on your own, known stuff, that´s the eye-opener.

Do yourself a favour and download Iron Oxide 5 from the first post in this thread. Copy the dll to your VST folder, and in 5 mins you´ll hear for yourself what it´s all about. IT IS worth the small effort
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...ac-pc-vst.html
Old 9th June 2017
  #1893
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Get Airwindows IronOxide5. It's free and awesome. And watch out for his coming ToTape for more awesome.
Thanks, guys. I went with the 37j tape and picked up C660 for now. About to use them ....

I've actually got IronOxide on a session right now. Wonderful plugin. I'm also using his dithers ... but I think FathomFive has to be my favorite of his. It's wonderful for saving a crappily recorded bass track or fattening up a kick drum. It can do things that usual ITB EQs just can't (like tap into massive, thick sub bass, for one) ....
Old 9th June 2017
  #1894
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Thanks, guys. I went with the 37j tape and picked up C660 for now. About to use them ....

I've actually got IronOxide on a session right now. Wonderful plugin. I'm also using his dithers ... but I think FathomFive has to be my favorite of his. It's wonderful for saving a crappily recorded bass track or fattening up a kick drum. It can do things that usual ITB EQs just can't (like tap into massive, thick sub bass, for one) ....
Thanks for the tip, that's one I haven't got yet.
Old 26th June 2017
  #1895
Lives for gear
 

I'm a little bit sad that the chatter has died down in this thread. Let me revive it with a question: I'm using MFC in mixing contexts along with MFQ, and the sound is fantastic. Now I'm looking for a different console for mastering contexts -- something clear and punchy. I'm thinking 4KC and MLC (9K) are prime candidates for this role. I know the 4KC gets a lot of praise ... but how does the MLC stack up? I've known a few productions to be recorded through the 9K and the sound is fantastic .... Full of punch and massive, tight low end, so that's why I'm drawn to MLC.
Old 26th June 2017
  #1896
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I'm a little bit sad that the chatter has died down in this thread. Let me revive it with a question: I'm using MFC in mixing contexts along with MFQ, and the sound is fantastic. Now I'm looking for a different console for mastering contexts -- something clear and punchy. I'm thinking 4KC and MLC (9K) are prime candidates for this role. I know the 4KC gets a lot of praise ... but how does the MLC stack up? I've known a few productions to be recorded through the 9K and the sound is fantastic .... Full of punch and massive, tight low end, so that's why I'm drawn to MLC.
If I'm not wrong AlexB said me (some month ago) that the MLC was the only console not 'updated' with his last sampling techniques. But I'm not 100% sure, you better ask him...
Why don't you check the demo of the SP79 German mastering console, too? I like it very much and often use it in addition to A16 (my default).
Old 26th June 2017
  #1897
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
If I'm not wrong AlexB said me (some month ago) that the MLC was the only console not 'updated' with his last sampling techniques. But I'm not 100% sure, you better ask him...
Why don't you check the demo of the SP79 German mastering console, too? I like it very much and often use it in addition to A16 (my default).
Thanks for the tip. I'll ask him, in that case. I have considered SP79, but I'm worried it won't sound modern enough and impart too much of a vintage thing. What do you think? What does it sound like? I would love to try out A16 as well ... but I'm torn as I'm trying to limit my budget for software lately.
Old 26th June 2017
  #1898
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll ask him, in that case. I have considered SP79, but I'm worried it won't sound modern enough and impart too much of a vintage thing. What do you think? What does it sound like? I would love to try out A16 as well ... but I'm torn as I'm trying to limit my budget for software lately.
I am not the right person to say that: never worked with hardware, and mixing is just a "side-job" for me Better to wait more seasoned guys here...
I just know what I like: And I like A16 and SP79. I listened to the various consoles demo and preferred that two, and the N14 that I have just bought (and never tried so far).
However... yes... maybe I have a 'vintage' taste...
Old 26th June 2017
  #1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
For the record, I don't like the C660 for vocals, I love it.... it's saved my azz several times, I do hate cheap Chinese condenser mic recordings, lol. I'll also add that Stay Level from Tim P would be another go-to for vocals, it's not as thick as C660 but it offers another great tone and can compress vocals so silky smooth. They are my 1-2 Nebula vocal comps.

Last, never take mine or anyone else word online...... ALWAYS test for yourself.

One day when you have nothing to do, a vid of you setting up these two would be a tremendous vid to add your Youtube presence. I'd watch it over and over
Old 26th June 2017
  #1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll ask him, in that case. I have considered SP79, but I'm worried it won't sound modern enough and impart too much of a vintage thing. What do you think? What does it sound like? I would love to try out A16 as well ... but I'm torn as I'm trying to limit my budget for software lately.
Don't worry, it will not impart too much of a vintage thing. It is probably the most transparent set Alex has to offer. I have the SP79 and A16 as well which is the most colored console. I use A16 mostly on drums in a virtual sidecar setup going into a MFC, 4KC or N14 bus. Now, Alex's N14 is my unsung favorite, everything I throw at it sounds absolutely gorgeous from rock, hip - hop, trap, EDM, metal, bluegrass and country. It is something special.
Old 26th June 2017
  #1901
Lives for gear
 

Thanks again, everyone! The SP79 sounds like a great option. I've seen some people on here sing praises about it for mastering. I can't go wrong with it, it seems. I like to do colored for mixing and then transparent (suprise, surprise) for mastering, so that's perfect. I also recall (maybe incorrectly) that the bandwidth is limited to 20k, but that's totally desirable to me. Keeps things cleaner and tame.

phantompower9, that sounds like a sweet setup. I was using N14 for drum sub mixes, but that A16 setup is intriguing. Interesting that you say A16 is very colored .... I would have thought punchy, full of mids, but clean and fast relative to the Neve stuff. This gets me excited.
Old 26th June 2017
  #1902
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Interesting that you say A16 is very colored .... I would have thought punchy, full of mids, but clean and fast relative to the Neve stuff. This gets me excited.
Thake my thoughts with a grain of salt, but from the demo it seems to me that the most colored console is the Neo. A16 colored too, but not that much.
Old 27th June 2017
  #1903
Lives for gear
 
davidgary73's Avatar
Keep a watch out for AlexB Rupert Neve R88 (Neve 5088) console. Hope AlexB put it up on his site soon
Old 27th June 2017
  #1904
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Keep a watch out for AlexB Rupert Neve R88 (Neve 5088) console. Hope AlexB put it up on his site soon
I actually saw that it's up there, but no link yet (can't click into a page). Very exciting. He had the 5088 before, but I guess he's resampling it then? I can't wait for this.
Old 27th June 2017
  #1905
Lives for gear
What I find concerning the AlexB consoles, there isn't a best for every song.
I've bought them all and I always try them out on a new song that I'm mixing or mastering.

The MLC is for sure on the punchier side, while the A16 is excellent on drums.
All three Neves are just wonderful, MFC=fat, N14=bit brighter and creamy and the sidecar is brilliant on vocals in my view.

The Sp79 sound good on almost everything.

One important thing to note is: when you put a program on it might at once sound better, brighter, fatter or what have you ...
but try bouncing the track and adjust the rms level before and after ... many times you'll be surprised that a tracks actually turns darker than you thought ...

Just my 2 ct
Old 28th June 2017
  #1906
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
What I find concerning the AlexB consoles, there isn't a best for every song.
I've bought them all and I always try them out on a new song that I'm mixing or mastering.

The MLC is for sure on the punchier side, while the A16 is excellent on drums.
All three Neves are just wonderful, MFC=fat, N14=bit brighter and creamy and the sidecar is brilliant on vocals in my view.

The Sp79 sound good on almost everything.

One important thing to note is: when you put a program on it might at once sound better, brighter, fatter or what have you ...
but try bouncing the track and adjust the rms level before and after ... many times you'll be surprised that a tracks actually turns darker than you thought ...

Just my 2 ct
Thanks for the info. I feel that I'll slowly just buy them all. Can't go wrong, really ....

Speaking of AlexB consoles, the N81 sidecar has caught my eye. It comes with line and mic programs, class A mixbuss, AND an entire EQ suite. MFC and N14 (both of which I have and love) get so much mention ... but how does N81 compare? Were you talking about N81 when you said the sidecar is brilliant on vocals?
Old 28th June 2017
  #1907
TNC
Lives for gear
 
TNC's Avatar
 

Dudes! I have a question if you don't mind. When you say Nebula sampling is like a snap-shot of the real hardware, what do you mean? For example if we are talking about a tape machine, does it mean Nebula gives you the color but not the wow and flutter? Like you get the sound but not the behavior? Thank you.
Old 28th June 2017
  #1908
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Dudes! I have a question if you don't mind. When you say Nebula sampling is like a snap-shot of the real hardware, what do you mean? For example if we are talking about a tape machine, does it mean Nebula gives you the color but not the wow and flutter? Like you get the sound but not the behavior? Thank you.
Acustica Audio's Nebula technology is a very advanced IR technology, but unlike static IR tech (Altiverb or Waves Q Clone) Nebula tech is dynamic and uses Ultrasound methods (Volterra kernels) to capture actual harmonics (up to 9th order), making it the most advanced IR tech around. It's resource and CPU heavy because of the large amount of samples used per second, but AA has been improving the engine efficiency the past 3 years.





Search on GS or youtube, there is a ton of information available. You may want to also look into the Acustica Audio Acqua plugins, they are Nebula technology in a more normal plugin format.

Acustica-Audio.com

Old 28th June 2017
  #1909
TNC
Lives for gear
 
TNC's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Acustica Audio's Nebula technology is a very advanced IR technology, but unlike static IR tech (Altiverb or Waves Q Clone) Nebula tech is dynamic and uses Ultrasound methods (Volterra kernels) to capture actual harmonics (up to 9th order), making it the most advanced IR tech around. It's resource and CPU heavy because of the large amount of samples used per second, but AA has been improving the engine efficiency the past 3 years.





Search on GS or youtube, there is a ton of information available. You may want to also look into the Acustica Audio Acqua plugins, they are Nebula technology in a more normal plugin format.

Acustica-Audio.com

Thank you. By the way I'm trying a demo. If a program is calibrated for 0VU at -10 dbfs, do you use a program like the hornet vu meter to understand and adjust what the dbfs is exactly until the nebula plugin or do you not have to be exact and just adjust the input by ear?
Old 1st July 2017
  #1910
Lives for gear
 

Do you all typically use the drive function to generate harmonics? I'm toying with the idea of trying out some mixes with tiny bit of drive on each N4 instance, and then a good amount when it's needed (sometimes for drums, bass, etc.). Is the sound of the drive specific to the sampled hardware? Do the developers sample the hardware units when they're driven, and does that determine the sound of the drive knob for a given library?
Old 1st July 2017
  #1911
Gear Addict
 
reggiejaxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Do you all typically use the drive function to generate harmonics? I'm toying with the idea of trying out some mixes with tiny bit of drive on each N4 instance, and then a good amount when it's needed (sometimes for drums, bass, etc.). Is the sound of the drive specific to the sampled hardware? Do the developers sample the hardware units when they're driven, and does that determine the sound of the drive knob for a given library?
I sometimes use the drive function but mainly just third party algos (exciters) nowadays because i think it's not very straightforward if the drive should be messed with.

Unless it says that using it is an option in the library manual i wouldn't bother, just use something else after that Neb instance.
Old 1st July 2017
  #1912
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
I've not been much of a Nebula user before, as while i've demoed, nothing so far has felt the right purchase for me or totally blown me away.

I'm happy to say Gold is amazing though! I've only used it on a mastering projects so far but as soon as I heard it, even with now EQ/Comp tweaks, just straight through, I knew I had to have it on every track. It's so good at taking that digital sheen off and adding that analog warmth.

Never mind actually using the individual components, which i've only quickly tested.

I love how you can switch models as they all have their own distinct character and i've found sometimes all I needed to get what I wanted from a final track master was the correct combination.

I def recommended.
Old 1st July 2017
  #1913
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Thank you. By the way I'm trying a demo. If a program is calibrated for 0VU at -10 dbfs, do you use a program like the hornet vu meter to understand and adjust what the dbfs is exactly until the nebula plugin or do you not have to be exact and just adjust the input by ear?
Yes, use a meter, I personally use Klanghelm's vu then use my ears.
Old 2nd July 2017
  #1914
Lives for gear
 
JulenJVM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
I've not been much of a Nebula user before, as while i've demoed, nothing so far has felt the right purchase for me or totally blown me away.

I'm happy to say Gold is amazing though! I've only used it on a mastering projects so far but as soon as I heard it, even with now EQ/Comp tweaks, just straight through, I knew I had to have it on every track. It's so good at taking that digital sheen off and adding that analog warmth.

Never mind actually using the individual components, which i've only quickly tested.

I love how you can switch models as they all have their own distinct character and i've found sometimes all I needed to get what I wanted from a final track master was the correct combination.

I def recommended.
When you get a chance, try Violet or Cobalt comps on your 2buss, or even on a mastering session. And if you want some more goodness, try AlexB's MFC console. Reading what you write on Gold, I'm pretty sure that these 3 will impress you quite a bit
Old 8th July 2017
  #1915
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

The new vari level skin looks and works great in N4.

Thank you TimP and JPN for this great update.
Old 11th July 2017
  #1916
Lives for gear
 

Is anyone typically running N4 instances in timed mode with increased ms? Is the sound quality improvement very large 1) going from freqd to timed and 2) increasing the ms when in timed mode? It seems that my CPU takes a major hit after upping the parameters in timed mode ... so is it worth it?
Old 11th July 2017
  #1917
Lives for gear
They're here!

New / updated releases from Alex B., been looking forward to trying these out.

Rupert 88 Console
Rupert 33 eQ
Rupert 43 Compressor
Rupert 42 Tape FX

AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - R88 Rupert 88 Console - Nebula Programs
Old 11th July 2017
  #1918
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
They're here!

New / updated releases from Alex B., been looking forward to trying these out.

Rupert 88 Console
Rupert 33 eQ
Rupert 43 Compressor
Rupert 42 Tape FX

AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - R88 Rupert 88 Console - Nebula Programs
I didn't know he was doing the eq etc. in addition to the console.

I'm not sure that I'll be buying right away, so let me know how it sounds if you've tried it please!
Old 11th July 2017
  #1919
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
It's nice Alex is re-releasing his older consoles but I hope he brings us something NEW like, Amek 9098i, Focusrite Forte, anything Trident, anything Quad Eight or vintage API.
Old 11th July 2017
  #1920
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
It's nice Alex is re-releasing his older consoles but I hope he brings us something NEW like, Amek 9098i, , anything Trident, anything Quad Eight or vintage API.
The R33 eQ, compressor, and tape emu machine are new, yes? I would love the Forte, Trident A Range, and/or Q8! But especially the A Range or Q8.

Edit: I see that the eq, compressor, and tape emu machine are just updates like the console.

Last edited by rosewood123; 12th July 2017 at 04:45 AM..
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
quincyg / Music Computers
754
Dom & Roland / The Moan Zone
10
marshallplexi / Music Computers
6
fingerbeats / Music Computers
10
Patric Noonan / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump