The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Hmmm, now I'm having some trouble getting N-TEN-AT4 to show up in Logic. I put the Acqua Host Installer files in the Frameworks folder, put the folder containing VSTs and others in the VST folder, and then opened the VSTAU manager and installed the N-TEN-AT4 VSTs. The manager only tells me that the files are installed, whereas with other VSTs, it says "AU exists." When I open Logic and try to load up N-TEN, it's nowhere to be found (not in the plugins manager either).
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

So after stocking up on some console and preamp libraries, I decided to try out an EQ library and replace the algorithm EQs I have going on in a file. All I can say is WOW. Now THIS is what I've been looking for. I picked up the MFeQ from AlexB (88rs), and oboy, it far surpasses all the algo EQs I've tried in terms of giving things that weight, warmth, and depth we associate with analog gear and consoles. Things in the mix are just sitting better together. I get the impression that even some questionable EQ moves will still sound good, whereas with the algo plugins, this would not fly. For example, bass balancing was always a headache with algo EQs for me; with this Neb library, things just sound warm and woolly and thick, and even if I went too far with it, it would probably still be pleasing. Bass-heavy, sure, but more like that nice analog thick heaviness.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

The low shelf in TimP's Surge is amazing on toms.

They said this thing was a problem solver. They were right. Devine.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
The low shelf in TimP's Surge is amazing on toms.

They said this thing was a problem solver. They were right. Devine.
I think I've got to give Surge a try. Everyone says it's absolutely stunning. Do you know what EQ was sampled? It says a 1987 active discrete unit. My young self does not know what that is.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

I saw it in one of the 50 page threads, but can't recall. Maybe a veteran can chime in.

Both shelves are beautiful. Taming overheads and room mics today with the high shelf. Very elegant. I just got it. Haven't even given the bells a try out really. Tomorrow I can hear the Q working with some guitars.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

If I had one wish for SURGE-eQ, it would have been for a 'lite' option in the PreSets.

Yes ... go right ahead and DOUBLE the price. It is that good.

Full disclosure. TimP reached out to me, with my work in Mastering, to be part of the beta-team on this library. My immediate impression ... SURGE set the quality standard, and 2nd ... although everyone's taste is different, the hardware SURGE is derived from is highly respected, as is the Designer. If you should so happen to meet and converse with ... you have been given a very special moment from the Audio gods.

TimP has pushed the AA technology into a higher level. The catalogue may not be so large or encompassing, but they are in the tops to quality.

I don't see many GS postings from TimP. It seems the AA forum is the meeting point.

And to that point ... anyone wanting to know anything about available libraries [or ACQUAs] who DON'T read the AA forum are missing out on a wealth of information.

Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I don't see many GS postings from TimP. It seems the AA forum is the meeting point.

And to that point ... anyone wanting to know anything about available libraries [or ACQUAs] who DON'T read the AA forum are missing out on a wealth of information.

I have read much of the forums there, although there seems to be more current info and general discussion here. The AA forum is great for announcements.

I reached out a week ago on AA forums about info for skins, and any graphics related info as I do a lot of that type of work. I PM'd several members to see if I could gleen any info. Radio silence. It appears it is a private club.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I think I've got to give Surge a try. Everyone says it's absolutely stunning. Do you know what EQ was sampled? It says a 1987 active discrete unit. My young self does not know what that is.
Massenburg GML 8200.

I wouldn't change a thing in the sound of Surge, and I don't remember thinking something like this with any other plugin.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Ah, GML 8200! Lovely. Yes, this does indeed sound sweet.

brockorama, I PM'd TimP recently about his CADPAN and he replied within a few hours! :P
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

brockorama, I PM'd TimP recently about his CADPAN and he replied within a few hours! :P
apples and oranges

your inquiry is a 9 dollar plugin he wants you to buy

Mine is about info on a subject apparently nobody wants us to know about.

I was hoping after dropping 350 bucks for N4, I might be able to tinker with some personal skins and relax and have some fun with it. Guess not.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

If you're on REAPER ... check out the LBX script.

You can make your own GUI for an entire chain of N-4s. [or anything else].
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
apples and oranges

I was hoping after dropping 350 bucks for N4, I might be able to tinker with some personal skins and relax and have some fun with it. Guess not.
As AA in in full control of N4, I would contact G directly on the AA site or here with skin questions..... remember N4 is new and most don't have any idea about N4 skins, also it's proprietary software you are asking about and not a club.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
As AA in in full control of N4, I would contact G directly on the AA site or here with skin questions..... remember N4 is new and most don't have any idea about N4 skins, also it's proprietary software you are asking about and not a club.
It's just something I wanted to do as a side hobby when I am not making music.

Something to de-compress that is productive.

As I said, I contacted about 8 people at AA site forum. Nothing.

JPN is making them for N4, so I know the info is available somewhere. It should be available for download.
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
apples and oranges

I suppose, but you could say that it would be in AA's interest to stay on top of such information to both keep customers happy and expand their user base .... But they are notorious for being difficult with these things, and as was mentioned, N4 is new and not many know about these things (including 3rd party developers who are quite invested in the software). I can't entirely blame them though since, I'm assuming, there probably isn't a large number of developers contributing to and maintaining the technology. I'm ultimately just glad for the sound quality benefits. I'll take it.
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm ultimately just glad for the sound quality benefits. I'll take it.
Sounds very good
Old 27th May 2017
Lives for gear

I have Sand. Should I still get AlexB's SSL 4k library, or would that be a waste of time and money and, um, not so "logical?"
Old 27th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
I have Sand. Should I still get AlexB's SSL 4k library, or would that be a waste of time and money and, um, not so "logical?"
Well....... "should" is something only you can decide for yourself.

I'll say having thousands of SSL hardware hours logged, and having all the AlexB SSL & CDSM SSL libraries with Sand......

IMHO:

Sand has both the full 4K and 5K EQ's and filters with the most accurate 4K buss comp (minus the auto release), 10 routing options and separate modules.

Alex B has the full console, channel comp (sounds correct but action is off) and buss comp (sounds correct but the action is off), but everything is single instance only due to current Nebula shortcomings. Alex's SSL preamps are my favorite.

CDSM has both full E and G series 4K SSL libraries that are a bit wider than Alex's on the busses, single Nebula instances.

I personally mix and match all 3 happily.
Old 28th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Well....... "should" is something only you can decide for yourself.

I'll say having thousands of SSL hardware hours logged, and having all the AlexB SSL & CDSM SSL libraries with Sand......

IMHO:

Sand has both the full 4K and 5K EQ's and filters with the most accurate 4K buss comp (minus the auto release), 10 routing options and separate modules.

Alex B has the full console, channel comp (sounds correct but action is off) and buss comp (sounds correct but the action is off), but everything is single instance only due to current Nebula shortcomings. Alex's SSL preamps are my favorite.

CDSM has both full E and G series 4K SSL libraries that are a bit wider than Alex's on the busses, single Nebula instances.

I personally mix and match all 3 happily.
If I am understanding you correctly, get Sand to get the best SSL comp, yeah?
& Gold for the Neve comp?
N4 for coloration (i.e. full board ins/outs, etc.; EQ...)

How would you compare TimP's comps (my research points to them being the "best" - please advise if not so) with Acquas (namely Sand and Gold)? Are Acqua's action superior? OR, is a better option perhaps algo then an HO mojo following it?

Decisions, decisions. Good fun - Appreciate any thoughts Will (and others). I've learned a lot reading your posts.
Old 28th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post

How would you compare TimP's comps (my research points to them being the "best" - please advise if not so) with Acquas (namely Sand and Gold)? Are Acqua's action superior? OR, is a better option perhaps algo then an HO mojo following it?

Decisions, decisions. Good fun - Appreciate any thoughts Will (and others). I've learned a lot reading your posts.
Tim puts a lot of time and effort into his compressors. They are great for achieving certain sounds. It's really a question of how many flavors you want. Sand has a tighter punchier sound than other Nebula compressors imho. But Tim's comps are all a little different from each other and that has value too.
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Imho, i would recommend getting AlexB 4KC. His Masterbuss presets are much better than Sand MIX A & B Overall, a big plus and if you have time, checkout AlexB MFC as well
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I use Tim's comps mainly on vocals, they shine there IMHO, while the Acqua comps are quicker and punchier with much more control, and are better suited for drums, buss work and the 2 buss.

Also remember that Alex B has the whole consoles, we've yet to have an Acqua console. I do feel since Sand AA rules the ITB compressors, but there is still room for improvement.

We have lots of options these days.

As always test for yourself.
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't really like Gold comps, they are a bit clunky to me.

On the other hand, the EQs and the preamps are wonderful.
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Since we're talking about compressors, what do you all think about AITB's Fate Compressor? I've heard great things. Is it nice on the master buss, and is the release fast enough on this type of Neve comp in general?
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I don't really like Gold comps, they are a bit clunky to me.
Easy to understand, the hardware Neve comps Gold is sampled from are a bit different and take some getting used to.... they are not super accurate or fast comps, I love them on vocals, bass and strings.
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since we're talking about compressors, what do you all think about AITB's Fate Compressor? I've heard great things. Is it nice on the master buss, and is the release fast enough on this type of Neve comp in general?
I love AITB verbs and they make good EQ's, but their comps are near the bottom in Nebula libraries IMHO. There is no real comp control in Fate, with Fate you'll want to use an algo comp then follow it with Fate for tone.
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love AITB verbs and they make good EQ's, but their comps are near the bottom in Nebula libraries IMHO. There is no real comp control in Fate, with Fate you'll want to use an algo comp then follow it with Fate for tone.
Thanks, Will. Good to know. I'll sift through this thread to see what the consensus top compressor picks are (seems like Cupwise and TimP comps come up a lot ...).
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Head

Any preferences for Timp 37J vs CDSM R2R + Tape Booster?
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any preferences for Timp 37J vs CDSM R2R + Tape Booster?
I'm on a mix right now that Tim's tape worked on to fatten up one snare while R2R really worked on the other snare, lol..... so both. Do remember R2R is 6 or 7 different tape machines with different tape and tape speeds. I would personally start with R2R for the sheer amount of diversity, then look at Tim's tapes for more flavor.
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm on a mix right now that Tim's tape worked on to fatten up one snare while R2R really worked on the other snare, lol..... so both. Do remember R2R is 6 or 7 different tape machines with different tape and tape speeds. I would personally start with R2R for the sheer amount of diversity, then look at Tim's tapes for more flavor.
Thanks again. You've been an invaluable source of insight!
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Will (or anyone else who cares to say), what are your favorite tube samples? I've got HO's and AlexB's preamp collections, which do have some tube pre offerings (and sound great). Am I good with those? Are there others I'm missing out on? (CDSM's Vintage Tube collection comes to mind, but how much different will the Mullards and such sound from what I've got?)

The tubes in Gold are quite nice. I've been trying out the new Cobalt pres and compressor and I've got to say it's quite something. I've mostly just been using the compressor on the master buss for a bit of tubey goodness, and it excels ... but I also want to avoid the price tag just for the tube flavor if I can and get just a tube library that's comparable (I know, I know .... I'm being picky here).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search