The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 24th September 2011
soulstudios
CDSoundmaster's standalone plugin vtmm2 is also incredibly important. Far more interesting than the r2r stuff imho (it's meant to be used in combination with those).
Old 24th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstudios View Post
CDSoundmaster's standalone plugin vtmm2 is also incredibly important. Far more interesting than the r2r stuff imho (it's meant to be used in combination with those).
Yeah... but it's Windoze only...
Old 25th September 2011
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
Yeah... but it's Windoze only...
Only if you don't use SBPro's VFX wrapper for Windows VSTs:
SM Pro Audio • V-Machine Downloads •
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

I did a little test - processed at 24 bit 96khtz, resampled back down to 16 bit 44.1, before mp3ing at 320kbps

1) original SE Code 8 analog synth with CS80 filter multimode test, straight into audio interface. Raw and unprocessed. It's pretty warm and tapey sounding as is

2) Same with Nebula Nag 30 ips tape + tape booster low saturation and VTM-M2 tape compression

3) Same but with TFT Pro demo console programs inserted in the channel and master bus

Like to hear some comments on which you liked best and why etc
Quick download
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

or below
Attached Files

CCJ_Code8-CS80.mp3 (2.19 MB, 985 views)

CCJ_Code8-CS80_Tape.mp3 (2.19 MB, 984 views)

CCJ_Code8-CS80_Console_Tape.mp3 (2.18 MB, 948 views)

Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I really like the vintage Iron. I use the 21 most often.

The vm tube is a freebie that really adds some great shimmer.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

I processed the above clips overnight on my DT880 cans, and they sounded ok then, but today back on speakers, I can hear a big difference, something headphones don't seem to allow for!

I found the TFT console makes everything too tubby and muddy, I hope the other ones are much better...

Even my long departed Mackie SR24-4 was better, and my Speck Xtramix makes everything so airy and warmy, almost analog tape like, without the mud!

I can hear some phasing to stereo imaging with TFT - I wonder if it's due to TFT stereo line in programs
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

As far as the AlexB console go I found the audio files he had for comparison hard to get a feel for, especially with the vocal dominating and the overall dark and non percussive sound

So what I did was make a small instrumental cut, which loops nicely, still at the 24bit 96khz, then you can load em all up in your audio editor in loop play and switch ebtween them quickly

All zipped up
Alexb_Nebula Console.zip

So what I found was - the original sound decent, nice and even

WBC - adds a low mid bass, and sounds flattering, but on close inspection sub bass are down, and mid range sounds a bit boxey. Drums sound "slow"

MLC - better, not nothing really special either

CLC - good bass and subs, punchy drums, but mid range a bit flat and boring, sterile

VBC - upper mid emphasis, sheen, bottom end subdued as a result

MBC - good bass, but a bit murky in definition, euphonic mid range, sweet top end, decent punch on drums

So they all have their points - but for percussive electronic music and dance, it would be between the MBC and CLC for me. MBC has more valve like colour and sweetness so I went for that
I like what the MTC did for vocals, like honey, and the tube did some nice tone on the bass, but drums and overall sound seem'ed smaller than the others

Off course all the various preamps can be used as "consoles" too
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
I did a little test - processed at 24 bit 96khtz, resampled back down to 16 bit 44.1, before mp3ing at 320kbps

1) original SE Code 8 analog synth with CS80 filter multimode test, straight into audio interface. Raw and unprocessed. It's pretty warm and tapey sounding as is

2) Same with Nebula Nag 30 ips tape + tape booster low saturation and VTM-M2 tape compression

3) Same but with TFT Pro demo console programs inserted in the channel and master bus

Like to hear some comments on which you liked best and why etc
Quick download
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

or below

I bought AlexB MBC - API 1608 console?
Anyway big difference from the demo Toft console, much clearer and nicer
Same RMS, but harmonics make it sound louder and bigger

Makes this Code 8 sound more like a Jupiter 8 now

http://download1145.mediafire.com/fa...nsole_Tape.mp3
Attached Files
Old 28th September 2011
I've been usong all this time the VBC thinking it was API and it's Neve... Daaaamn...
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

OMG!! bought Alex B's 1073 EQ.... after 15 years of ITB i feel like i have finally found heaven !!!!!
Old 29th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
OMG!! bought Alex B's 1073 EQ.... after 15 years of ITB i feel like i have finally found heaven !!!!!
interested - using at 44 or 96?
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

CDSoundmaster's N-ten-at4 is a better buy, it's a Neve 1084 preamp and EQ package. Same thing but better, and you get the Neve console sound as well as the EQ
CDSoundMaster Software Online

And for about $10 more, if you ask him, he will give you the self contained VST plugin version with the nice interface if you buy them together...
There is a free version here
CDSoundMaster.com

I'm thinking for jumping on that and the Nice EQ (Millennia NSEQ-2) along with the VST versions
Previous customers get a discount, so it ends up being the same price with the VST versions added on for me
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sure thing but that is my issue with nebula
In that package you have 42 different proggrames all with Cryptic names ,this curve that curve, distortion,clean, narrow q, wide bell etc etc it just does my head in
At least with the 1073 eq's there are what they are... low ,mid,high ,easy to use but sounding the nuts !
If I want to get surgical I'll use a digital eq
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

That's why I said you can get the VST versions of Nice EQ and N-Ten-AT4 - even easier to use! And smaller

The N-Ten-AT4 is the Neve 1084, which is an improved design of the Neve 1073.
based on the demos, they sound about the same too.
They have that fat, but rough sound
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure thing but that is my issue with nebula
In that package you have 42 different proggrames all with Cryptic names ,this curve that curve, distortion,clean, narrow q, wide bell etc etc it just does my head in
At least with the 1073 eq's there are what they are... low ,mid,high ,easy to use but sounding the nuts !
If I want to get surgical I'll use a digital eq

exactly! it's why i NEVER bought a cdsm eq before.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's why I said you can get the VST versions of Nice EQ and N-Ten-AT4 - even easier to use! And smaller
On a mac around here
Old 30th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
exactly! it's why i NEVER bought a cdsm eq before.

me too...I just find the cdsm program lists ridiculous frankly...OTT
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
me too...I just find the cdsm program lists ridiculous frankly...OTT
well, I bought TB+ which I absolutely love (and it's simple), especially since I bought NAG tape...now it all makes sense!

So, to throw in my 2¢: NAG tape and TB+ is a must have - for me.
Old 30th September 2011
Quote:
well, I bought TB+ which I absolutely love (and it's simple), especially since I bought NAG tape...now it all makes sense!

So, to throw in my 2¢: NAG tape and TB+ is a must have - for me.
oh yeah I like TB+...

However - got to be honest...some of the algo stuff is so good now...I start wondering if there is really a big difference...RoundTone gets some good tape sat! SonicTimeworks EQ is good (and old)! EQuality is good!

I need to do another A/B test session to see how much the difference is...
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh yeah I like TB+...

However - got to be honest...some of the algo stuff is so good now...I start wondering if there is really a big difference...RoundTone gets some good tape sat! SonicTimeworks EQ is good (and old)! EQuality is good!

yeah good stuff out there for sure! i use roundtone but for me it's often hard to find a sweet spot (metering would help) i also never heard enough difference in the soft/medium/hard algos.. i like it but never felt really safe (unless it's a drumbuss or single sound) for mixbuss duties or after-processing.

also the "speed" knob....never heard something noticable tbh...

NAG & tb+ is easy to dial in for me, so i trust it and use it like when finished songs were recorded onto tape. that does give me a nice signature, punch and cleans up lows (most of the times i tried) + not having options besides input and output.

i had equality and sold it. never found it special tbh...cool layout, yes, but to me nothing special and analog phase is impossible to use (CPU)
to me the coolest algo eqs are psp squad. demo expired but they remind me of hardware days! must have!

back to nebula:

one thing i can't feel is ALL compressors for nebula. just don't get along with it...

recently re-discovered doc fear (haven't used in a long time - almost as long as the loading times it uses to be available ) that's a cool eq!
i love AITB stuff. simple, good, not 1mio. programs...it works well...
Old 30th September 2011
soulstudios
Quote:
RoundTone gets some good tape sat!
I was using Roundtone - but try cdsm's vtmm2 plugin - it's no comparison.
Night and freakin day!
Old 1st October 2011
Quote:
NAG & tb+ is easy to dial in for me, so i trust it and use it like when finished songs were recorded onto tape. that does give me a nice signature, punch and cleans up lows (most of the times i tried) + not having options besides input and output.
yeah might have to grab NAG! Got the whole R2R but not so sure...yeah Roundtone not perfect but good for tape FX saturation...thickening...

Quote:
one thing i can't feel is ALL compressors for nebula. just don't get along with it...
agreed

Quote:
recently re-discovered doc fear (haven't used in a long time - almost as long as the loading times it uses to be available ) that's a cool eq!
i love AITB stuff. simple, good, not 1mio. programs...it works well...
yes FLEX EQ bundle is a must buy...I dunno maybe going thru a bit of Nebula fatigue at the mo with the drawbacks and all...

Must try that Noble Q...

Quote:
I was using Roundtone - but try cdsm's vtmm2 plugin - it's no comparison.
Night and freakin day!
night and day on PC...
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah might have to grab NAG! Got the whole R2R but not so sure...yeah Roundtone not perfect but good for tape FX saturation...thickening...
same thing as with cdsm eq's: too many options, tapes etc.
NAG is 15 and 30ips, that's it. less (options) is more - as so often (and it's cheap on top!)

sorry cdsm fans nothing against michael's great work. i just prefer the simple things more...

Quote:
Must try that Noble Q...
bought it. it's great but i prefer the squad's more. i really regret i didn't buy these when they were 99$

Quote:
night and day on PC...
LOL yep...!
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh yeah I like TB+...

It's like comparing a softsynth VA emulation to round robin multi GB sample library with articulation scripts. I know which sounds closer to the real deal

Off course the other is more flexible and better with HD space....!
Had to get rid of all the reverb presets, way too much space. Just kept the spring reverbs and plates.
Was nice to find a SRe-555 spring reverb, which I used to own, but it does sound different....

Edit - Noble Q sounds craptastic compared to Nebula EQs that digital top end sheen =
Nebula powered Nice EQ and N-Ten-AT4 are much better

After buying Mammoth EQ from AITB, I'm staying away from their stuff....
Long load times, and only 44.1khz
Waste of money! The load times are so bad, I'm just not inclined to use it
Shades of Yamaha Samplers!
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
same thing as with cdsm eq's: too many options, tapes etc.
NAG is 15 and 30ips, that's it. less (options) is more - as so often (and it's cheap on top!)

sorry cdsm fans nothing against michael's great work. i just prefer the simple things more...
Well I guess you like a Minimoog sample library with only one filter setting

Tape changes sound depending how hard you hit it. R2R covers a good aspect of it, plus different tapes sound different
NAG has a certain sound, which doesn't suit all things, and a tone I dont really associate with "tape sound"
So I don't consider it the one and only tape program you need
We don't even know how hard the tape was hit when NAG was captured.
But I suspect pretty hard as the top end is a bit sizzley

Nebula, unlike algo stuff, can't cover the whole spectrum with just one capture and program.
Next time look at a sample library and see how many mic positions are used for pianos and so on these days.
Old 1st October 2011
soulstudios
Quote:
night and day on PC...
Or on mac
Old 1st October 2011
Quote:
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Actually after comparing the AlexB 1073 EQ and CDSM's 1084, they don't really sound alike

The 1073 has a fat and fuzzy tone, while the 1084 has a crisper top end - when doing the same kind of boost or cuts.
1073 sound more "vintage"
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually after comparing the AlexB 1073 EQ and CDSM's 1084, they don't really sound alike

The 1073 has a fat and fuzzy tone, while the 1084 has a crisper top end - when doing the same kind of boost or cuts.
1073 sound more "vintage"

As they should as they are different EQ's & that's precisely how their analog counterparts compare as well...

Also, to be fair NOble Q doesn't sound "craptastic" it's just very different. In fact I think, since the wonderful pultecs done by CDSM and Alex sound vastly different
compared to Noble, that Noble is somthing more of an inspiration rather than a direct model of a pultec. Nice EQ and 10 AT 4 are totally different EQ's and shouldn't be compared with noble
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
As they should as they are different EQ's & that's precisely how their analog counterparts compare as well...

Also, to be fair NOble Q doesn't sound "craptastic" it's just very different. In fact I think, since the wonderful pultecs done by CDSM and Alex sound vastly different
compared to Noble, that Noble is somthing more of an inspiration rather than a direct model of a pultec. Nice EQ and 10 AT 4 are totally different EQ's and shouldn't be compared with noble

Yes but I find all the EQs in Nebula share a common "analog" sounding top end. Noble Q does not, it sticks out like a sore thumb when you boost the top end. Along with harmonic distortion that doesn't sound all that pleasing to me. Just sounds flat

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search