The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
HO has the mics i like the most , its crazy how some of them feels by slapping them on
no matter what mic that was used in the tracking,
they sound great even on my sm57 for vocals,
great on SM7b and Miktek CV4 on vocals as well
they add character for sure but also seems to clean up the audio a little

my personal go to`s for vocals
C12 , U47 and U67, i have to throw in the ROY(Royer) mics as well
they can certainly work on vocals too
but most of the time i tend to use the Royers on guitars(especiall electric) with notes that stick you in the ear now and then
to tame the ear sticking notes without feeling processed

all HO mics can be useful but C12 , U47, U67, and the Royers is a good place to start, at least for me
i went trough them all experimented for a long time and ended up with these as my go to`s

i always play a little with different distances for the mics, any mic that has options

Gemini mics can be great too, they're royer is also a good one
but i like that the HO ones have more options/presets
but that doesn't mean that the Gemini isn't good
if you like HO royers i do recommend getting the Gemini too

but you cant beat the price of zero with a quality that is very hard to beat even in late 2016

i love the C12 in omini if the track has to much low mids in it
it just cleans it up and sounds very very nice
U47 is lovely for bigger, fatter sounding especially if the vocals sounds a little thin

i also like HO bae,vintage 73 and titanv2 pres a lot for vocals
but there is times i go for the not go to`s as well with both mics and pres
when i feel the go to`s didn't work for the source

HO rules

HO also has the best sounding pres in nebula IMO

i bought Alex B PC&S mic pre collection, i ended up underwhelmed
and went right back to HO`s hehe

i would not mind to hear about your go to`s as well good folks
it could be and interesting discussion that we all might learn a thing or two from

Cheers
Thanks Jfjers. Very useful info. that's cleared the path for me, as always on Nebula stuff.
As you mentioned you have Alex B PC&S, I was perusing it to see what was there, and I saw what seemed to relate to a Fairchild type of flavour to colour the sound. Did I get that right? as I might indulge for those sounds if they are useful or were you referring to them all in comparison to HO?
Really appreciate the help you give of your experience.
Thanks, John.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTW View Post
Thanks Jfjers. Very useful info. that's cleared the path for me, as always on Nebula stuff.
As you mentioned you have Alex B PC&S, I was perusing it to see what was there, and I saw what seemed to relate to a Fairchild type of flavour to colour the sound. Did I get that right? as I might indulge for those sounds if they are useful or were you referring to them all in comparison to HO?
Really appreciate the help you give of your experience.
Thanks, John.
i went trough all the presets in the PC&S
i feel it was so subtle it was actually a little difficult to hear that difference you find in HO pres, and mojos
there where only a couple of presets i liked in that pack personally
i would not buy it again for my taste

Alex B consoles and eq`s is a different story though, really really great quality
he is one of my top favorites beside TimP for eq`s
Alex B for consoles and tim p for nebula comps beside they're top quality eq`s
sum100a and Vari level from TimP are my go to comps on vocals over anything else ITB

for fairchild flavor coloring try HO mojo
he has a lot of mojo stuff in all you can eat bundle that is really great for coloring,
some are meant to be used with a algo compressor or an eq
but if you only want the color, use just the mojo

the all you can eat bundle is really big
so its easy to forget some of all that great stuff in there sometimes hehe

here is a list of what every HO preset is based on :

http://www.nebulapresets.com/Nebulap...ion_preset.pdf

many pres from HO is sampled in many different input stages
that has a big impact to the sound especially if your gain staging is very good

try titanv2 for example, i mean really try it

first try the low sample and then the hi sample, the sound is night and day

it does interact very different to different sources,
so sometimes it can feel very subtitle
and sometimes the difference is huge depending on the source

i will add that small subtle changes for the better is not always bad ting though
lets say you do that on 40 tracks the end result will have a big impact when you A/B everything with and without

the hi preset on titanv2 can also be a good cleaner

i learned this from Will T W,
he said if i had a muddy bass,
try the hi preset on titanV2 pre and boost up the bass after it with for example a nebula pultec , acqua pultec works great too
well i did that, it really worked great, now i had a much cleaner sounding bass(not boring clean hehe) without the mud with a lovely low end that worked much better in the mix

same approach can work wonders on a muddy or to big sounding kick too

actually when we learn the tools in nebula i would say it actually saves time compared to try fix everything with a eq approach
and it sounds more natural as a result to me

the options in nebula are huge though, so asking for advice
is a vice thing to do

i did the same and pretty much learned everything from Will T W advice's to get me going, and im still asking for advice`s my self
so don't be shy asking advice for tools, people will answer

when you have some good go to`s in nebula that seems to work a lot of times
getting a good sound is much faster
compared to only using algos

find your go to`s that works for you and expand from there

for me nebula is not a workflow killer, its quite the opposite
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
i went trough all the presets in the PC&S
i feel it was so subtle it was actually a little difficult to hear that difference you find in HO pres, and mojos
there where only a couple of presets i liked in that pack personally
i would not buy it again for my taste

Alex B consoles and eq`s is a different story though, really really great quality
he is one of my top favorites beside TimP for eq`s
Alex B for consoles and tim p for nebula comps beside they're top quality eq`s
sum100a and Vari level from TimP are my go to comps on vocals over anything else ITB

for fairchild flavor coloring try HO mojo
he has a lot of mojo stuff in all you can eat bundle that is really great for coloring,
some are meant to be used with a algo compressor or an eq
but if you only want the color, use just the mojo

the all you can eat bundle is really big
so its easy to forget some of all that great stuff in there sometimes hehe

here is a list of what every HO preset is based on :

http://www.nebulapresets.com/Nebulap...ion_preset.pdf

many pres from HO is sampled in many different input stages
that has a big impact to the sound especially if your gain staging is very good

try titanv2 for example, i mean really try it

first try the low sample and then the hi sample, the sound is night and day

it does interact very different to different sources,
so sometimes it can feel very subtitle
and sometimes the difference is huge depending on the source

i will add that small subtle changes for the better is not always bad ting though
lets say you do that on 40 tracks the end result will have a big impact when you A/B everything with and without

the hi preset on titanv2 can also be a good cleaner

i learned this from Will T W,
he said if i had a muddy bass,
try the hi preset on titanV2 pre and boost up the bass after it with for example a nebula pultec , acqua pultec works great too
well i did that, it really worked great, now i had a much cleaner sounding bass(not boring clean hehe) without the mud with a lovely low end that worked much better in the mix

same approach can work wonders on a muddy or to big sounding kick too

actually when we learn the tools in nebula i would say it actually saves time compared to try fix everything with a eq approach
and it sounds more natural as a result to me

the options in nebula are huge though, so asking for advice
is a vice thing to do

i did the same and pretty much learned everything from Will T W advice's to get me going, and im still asking for advice`s my self
so don't be shy asking advice for tools, people will answer

when you have some good go to`s in nebula that seems to work a lot of times
getting a good sound is much faster
compared to only using algos

find your go to`s that works for you and expand from there

for me nebula is not a workflow killer, its quite the opposite

Wow! Am I glad I asked. This is my 2nd christmas this year!.
My 1st was definately Nebula, it changed my whole approach to my songs and instrumentals, because the effort is worth it as you say.

I can't say much about work-flow as I am an amateur in this field, but at this stage it takes as much effort, with a little knowledge to implement, say, EQ with Nebula as it does with maybe Equilibrium, I often mix the 2 of them, with good results.

Yes, Will is a good guy and willing to help, as are others like yourself. Glad you guys are there.
Many thanks for all that info. John.

Thanks for the link to HO. I had a quick look, and was like a kid in a candy shop
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Jfjer summed it up pretty good, HO's preamps and mic's are my favorite in all of digital audio...... and they are now free, so it's a no brain-er.

Learning HO's AYCE will take you very far, like in the real world, learning the tool is the key to success.
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Jfjer summed it up pretty good, HO's preamps and mic's are my favorite in all of digital audio...... and they are now free, so it's a no brain-er.

Learning HO's AYCE will take you very far, like in the real world, learning the tool is the key to success.
How dumb am I? I just bought HO AYCE and Titan 2 just 5 minuites ago, and forgot to get the free stuff.
I Better rush back in case the world explodes and I lose them.
Yeh, I know, it runs in the family.

Thanks for the encouragement Will.
Old 24th December 2016
Old 24th December 2016
From Will Blackburn link:

Quote:
The commercial libraries is a 10 GB library with more than 450 different real hardware emulations sorted by category.
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Addict

Hi fellas,

I was using Nebula 3 free wich came loaded with some usefull tape emu .Now i just instale Nebula 4 free on wich the free stuff came saparetly.Can anybody explain me how to load the emu libraries to the server?Thanx a lot!
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Hi fellas,

I was using Nebula 3 free wich came loaded with some usefull tape emu .Now i just instale Nebula 4 free on wich the free stuff came saparetly.Can anybody explain me how to load the emu libraries to the server?Thanx a lot!
The libraries in the commercial version installed themselves once you unzipped them and directed the installer to the chosen repository folder.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

I not certain that Neb-FREE can load commercial libraries.

I know that some 3rd party DEVs have DEMO PreSets available .... some do work on the 'Free' Nebula releases.
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Well, since I've gone mostly solid state now, I've decided that the Manley Voxbox is a keeper on vocals. I'm now using the 5043 on master buss also, the depth and detail is unbeatable. Also, the Neve setup is very clean (but thick) sounding, so I slammed an ADL600 (which is very aggressive) with Telefunken tubes after the comp for some beef.

I could be bying the ADL600 progs at some point, it's indeed very "modern" and heavy sounding tube pre. Works best on drums and (strangely) master IMO.
Manley Vox is part from any AlexB bundle or it is separate preset? I can't find it on AlexB website.

Aand 5043 is from which library please?
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

we have a small Facebook community that I would love you guys to share thoughts and opinions on here

Also check out this months CM magazine and get the free pink EQ. Drool worthy.
Old 5th January 2017
Quote:

Hi Will

Can I have a link to this free library. I went to Henry's website but just couldnt find free version. Maybe I missed something.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiq View Post
Hi Will

Can I have a link to this free library. I went to Henry's website but just couldnt find free version. Maybe I missed something.
FREE! - Nebulapresets
Old 5th January 2017
Quote:
Thank you !
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTW View Post
Hi, Gents. Looking to pick your brains again, if you have the time.
I've started using Nebula mics for vocal tracks and have had significant improvements in tone etc.
Was wandering if anyone uses them, and which they find the best, especially for vocals. Many thanks . John.
(The vocal is usually recorded with an inexpensive but modified chinese tube mic which is pretty clean into an ISA which again i can get a good clean signal from) I quite often use the Henry Olonga 47 or C12 libraries as first instance. then into a nice pre (i'm favouring the lime pres atm) then into a decent compressor (again, here it's either lime or something recent from acustica with shmod) then finally into an instance of modern flagship console. If EQ is required it's either lime eq, or a blend of a good aqua with a little bit of tim p here and there for surgical, either his blue neve eq or sometimes the mid range pultec eq to either boost (not very often needed with this chain, or usually to cut or smooth part of the mid range). The eq will go in the middle of the chain before the compressor usually. This is just a starting point. the vocal will always need some finesse, but this is a good default for me, basically emulating the kind of path i would use in the analogue domain, plus the advantage of the tone of the neumann mics from the HO libraries as starting point, i like em, they give the character pretty good, it's definitely workable...............

Last edited by drezz; 5th January 2017 at 05:28 PM..
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
(The vocal is usually recorded with an inexpensive but modified chinese tube mic which is pretty clean into an ISA which again i can get a good clean signal from) I quite often use the Henry Olonga 47 or C12 libraries as first instance. then into a nice pre (i'm favouring the lime pres atm) then into a decent compressor (again, here it's either lime or something recent from acustica with shmod) then finally into an instance of modern flagship console. If EQ is required it's either lime eq, or a blend of a good aqua with a little bit of tim p here and there for surgical, either his blue neve eq or sometimes the mid range pultec eq to either boost (not very often needed with this chain, or usually to cut or smooth part of the mid range). The eq will go in the middle of the chain before the compressor usually. This is just a starting point. the vocal will always need some finesse, but this is a good default for me, basically emulating the kind of path i would use in the analogue domain, plus the advantage of the tone of the neumann mics from the HO libraries as starting point, i like em, they give the character pretty good, it's definitely workable...............
Thanks Drezz, I'll have a play with those ideas they sound well crafted, got to improve my efforts. Talking about compressor for vocals, I've become smitten with Titanium 2 being able to tweak around the voice with 3x bands is handy and it's a really nice sounding compressor. You ever tried it?
Thanks, appreciate your help. John.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Haven't tried Titanium2 on vocals yet. Used it on a master the other day and it really delivered. Interesting to compare the Titanium1 with Titanium2 as well on that session. They sound different for sure. Titanium2 the clear winner.

For vocals it's Lime for me right now, i also had some good results with Tim P Vari-level on vocals.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
Haven't tried Titanium2 on vocals yet. Used it on a master the other day and it really delivered. Interesting to compare the Titanium1 with Titanium2 as well on that session. They sound different for sure. Titanium2 the clear winner.

For vocals it's Lime for me right now, i also had some good results with Tim P Vari-level on vocals.
Me too! Tried it a few times on master buss with good results. Found little tinkly things in the mix of one song I didn't even know was there !
Very flexible.
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm looking for a vintage Neve Eq. I already have Waves Scheps 73, what do you guys think about TimP Blue 1102 and AlexB N73? They are different from the Scheps one?
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Maniac

On Acustica forum are some great comments about new AlexB comp Ely XComp released just on this Xmas. Can it be candidate in "must have" list?
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I'm looking for a vintage Neve Eq. I already have Waves Scheps 73, what do you guys think about TimP Blue 1102 and AlexB N73? They are different from the Scheps one?
Well..... I've yet to use a Waves EQ that comes close to hardware or any Nebula or Acqua, but to each their own.

IMHO Tim P's 1102 is a fantastic EQ and well worth triple what Tim charges, I reach for the HP/LP all the time.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
hi ZenMaster , sorry for chiming in so late

personally i dont think any algo/ir verb can compete with nebulas plates and spring verbs,
they are really deep and blend in with the audio so effortless

i think VNXT 140 is lovely on vocals
i don't got all plates in nebula yet but you can try out a demo of Vnxt 140 plate , its a 2 second full quality preset so you
will instantly know if you like it or not

also try out the VNXT spring verb demos , the bx20 is lovely
its full quality demo as well and no time restriction same for the 140 plate
the sping verbs is lovely on guitars and several instruments, but can also work well on vocals

a certain well known artist called Adele used spring verb on her vocals with great luck

if you need pre delay just use a totally clean single digital delay before nebula verb instances
you will very likely find a delay like that in any DAW

i have not found any algos that i think can compete with these

i tried them against uad 140 plate, non contest, nebula wins easy
the newer ua bx20 sounds much better and more up to date but nebula still wins, nebula just got that something extra
i tried many others as well, Nebula is truly special
i usually print stems of the the nebula verbs when i have found what i like for vocals

i do agree that reverbrate 2 is a really good verb
one of the best non nebula verbs and a really great bang for the buck

but the first place for plates and spring verbs still goes to nebula IMHO
I did finally get the VNXT today. Well, the first impression was like Holy Sh*t!! And after few hours with it I was still like Holy Sh*t, lol .. I also purchased PoolTeQ.. So far Gyrator has been my only Neb EQ. What a fun day I think you can relate.. After all it is my first day with THESE sounds. They're both HUGE!!!
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Addict

Hey Will what's your recommended nebula signal chain for vocals,gtr piano,bass and drums,in trying to emulate an analog workflow.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiejaxx View Post
Hey Will what's your recommended nebula signal chain for vocals,gtr piano,bass and drums,in trying to emulate an analog workflow.
I use a lot of different combinations in my chains, I've listed a few in different threads. I do not have a set chain, every song requires a different approach.

The real way to approach it is to just duplicate as best you can a hardware signal flow.

Nebula really provides too many options, lol, but that is also the fun.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well..... I've yet to use a Waves EQ that comes close to hardware or any Nebula or Acqua, but to each their own.

IMHO Tim P's 1102 is a fantastic EQ and well worth triple what Tim charges, I reach for the HP/LP all the time.
Thank you, Will. I will look into it in a few months.

For now, I am having a lot of fun with HO AYCE and TimP J37 tape (my first 3rd party buy).
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

using Lime comp a lot here ... shot it out against everything I have, nothing delivers what this does.. absolutely nothing
Neb4 ... finally :-)
Titanium 2 is indeed an improvement
AA workflow has most definitely gone up 10 fold... the core 8/9 offerings are stable and you can use loads on a normal i7 computer
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

So people have received neb4? Website hasn't caught up in several ways.

Neb4 says preorder, but without any description of what that means.

Also, what about Neb3 pro users? Is the upgrade included? Discounted? It doesn't say anything about it on page I'm looking at.

And... it says minimum system requirement is i7 and osx 10.9.

Does that mean it does not work on xeons (Early 2008 harpertown Macpro 3.1)? As for the os, I'll probably upgrade soon anyway, but I'm currently running osx 10.8.2. Anyone confirm that it does or does not work on 10.8.x?
Old 14th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
So people have received neb4? Website hasn't caught up in several ways.

Neb4 says preorder, but without any description of what that means.

Also, what about Neb3 pro users? Is the upgrade included? Discounted? It doesn't say anything about it on page I'm looking at.

And... it says minimum system requirement is i7 and osx 10.9.

Does that mean it does not work on xeons (Early 2008 harpertown Macpro 3.1)? As for the os, I'll probably upgrade soon anyway, but I'm currently running osx 10.8.2. Anyone confirm that it does or does not work on 10.8.x?
I'm totally new to Nebula and I actually bought the N4 "preorder" 2 days ago to find it was already available in my member dashboard downloads. So yes, it is already available for downloading
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

If the website stipulates what the deal is for Neb 3 pro users, I'm missing it.

Is Neb 4 free upgrade? Discounted? Whole new thing?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search