The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Blackburn View Post
Anyone using Nebula reverbs for Classical/Film Score stuff ? Im only using algos at the mo in my template. Close / Mid / Far's are all B2s and a really dry no tail b2 on the master. Looking for some good nebula options though *most seem to funky for classical).
I've often wished and hoped someone would do an Alterverb type thing with Nebula... sampling a bunch of nice acoustic halls and studio rooms. At this point all of the best Nebula reverbs to me are plates and springs done by Cupwise and VNXT. These make sense in the Nebula format, since most of these boxes didn't have many different setting. I think real acoustic spaces also make sense, but it's probably not cheap for a developer to make...
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear
To be honest, I am using a lot of nebula compressor but just for the cororation, not for any gain reduction ...
Old 23rd November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
I've often wished and hoped someone would do an Alterverb type thing with Nebula... sampling a bunch of nice acoustic halls and studio rooms. At this point all of the best Nebula reverbs to me are plates and springs done by Cupwise and VNXT. These make sense in the Nebula format, since most of these boxes didn't have many different setting. I think real acoustic spaces also make sense, but it's probably not cheap for a developer to make...
A big cupwise fan so if he did one it would be an insta buy. I really wanted to like Altiverb but it breaks my mix, i just can't get anything intimate enough with it, all of it sounds too roomish, even Teldex which seems to be the go to for film comp sounds muddy. I love the vnxt 140 in there but can't miz/write with it realtime :(
Old 24th November 2016
Gear Nut

Great thread, btw. Lots of good info.

I saved a few links to posts of users 'best of' list, for anyone who's interested:

What are you go to included presets/packs
Best of the Newer.
"top ten, or fifteen, or twenty"
After i tried the aqua-eqs and many nebula eqs... this here would be my choice:

I'd personally reccomend Tim P Gyrator EQ, CDS R2R, AlexB MFC, AlexB Fa-Tzu.

I've been using Nebula for a few weeks now (after carefully studying everything and making sure I have @ least a rough use case scenario for each program (instead of blindly buying stuff and not knowing what to do with it ) and I'm definitely never going to back to pure-algo.

The EQs sound more "natural" that algos. My mix results sound more "polished". It's almost cliche at this point, but I'd say that the tech helped me bridge the 5% I felt was missing from my work when honestly A/Bing with commerical mixes (!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
To be honest, I am using a lot of nebula compressor but just for the cororation, not for any gain reduction ...
I've had a similar experience with the compressors.

For mastering, I've purchased a few comps that have good word of mouth (MFD, Fenix Red, Smooth 609 - among others) but I haven't found a use for them yet on my master. And TBH, outside of a subtle high-end boost on some programs, I'm not sure I can perceive the color imparted by just turning the plugin on/off. My ears are p decent so I feel like I might not be using it properly.
Old 24th November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F K View Post

For mastering, I've purchased a few comps that have good word of mouth (MFD, Fenix Red, Smooth 609 - among others) but I haven't found a use for them yet on my master. And TBH, outside of a subtle high-end boost on some programs, I'm not sure I can perceive the color imparted by just turning the plugin on/off. My ears are p decent so I feel like I might not be using it properly.

Check out Cupwise's Flucti Mastering Comp. It's not a 'slap it on sounds good' type library but if you dial it in right it's a great tool.

Flucti-Mew Mastering Compressor/Limiter – Cupwise FX
Old 24th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
I'm using those comps with gain reduction and I like the results a lot. Especially Opto-3A, Fenix, MFC, Vari-Level and Vari-Mu. Never huge compression, though, and never relying on the Nebula GR meter.
Old 24th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone using Nebula reverbs for Classical/Film Score stuff ? Im only using algos at the mo in my template. Close / Mid / Far's are all B2s and a really dry no tail b2 on the master. Looking for some good nebula options though *most seem to funky for classical).
Have you checked out AITB 'EAR Reverb' collection?
Old 25th November 2016
Gear Nut

I've been demoing the Empirical Labs Arouser and am really loving it. Still pretty steep $$$ even with the Black Friday discount though.

So my question is: can I achieve a similar quality of Distressor compression style / saturation / distortion / sidechain eq through Nebula? Is there a defacto "nailed it" Distressor library, or would it be better to emulate the different elements of the sound with a chain of libs? Which libraries should I be looking at?

Many thanks!

(please excuse cross post in Aqcua thread)
Old 27th November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Have you checked out AITB 'EAR Reverb' collection?
No mate but my favourite compressor ever is the 660 which is EAR. I must check it. Any good for classical stuff? I wih i could afford the EAR Harware units :(

ps - do you use it? any idea what the cpu hit is like?
Old 27th November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazza26 View Post
I've been demoing the Empirical Labs Arouser and am really loving it. Still pretty steep $$$ even with the Black Friday discount though.

So my question is: can I achieve a similar quality of Distressor compression style / saturation / distortion / sidechain eq through Nebula? Is there a defacto "nailed it" Distressor library, or would it be better to emulate the different elements of the sound with a chain of libs? Which libraries should I be looking at?

Many thanks!

(please excuse cross post in Aqcua thread)

I;ve been looking forever for a Nebula emulation of the distressor. Pretty sure Henry Olonga has done something related as part of his 'mojo' series.

There's also this by cdsoundmaster but again i don't think it can do what the distressor does.

CDSoundMaster Audio Software | EL8 Preamp Collection
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
I'm using those comps with gain reduction and I like the results a lot. Especially Opto-3A, Fenix, MFC, Vari-Level and Vari-Mu. Never huge compression, though, and never relying on the Nebula GR meter.
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up demoing a bunch of Acquas. After many hours testing and doing loudness-compensated, blind shootouts, my ears favored the Lime C comp (based on the Neve 8051) on my master
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I;ve been looking forever for a Nebula emulation of the distressor. Pretty sure Henry Olonga has done something related as part of his 'mojo' series.

There's also this by cdsoundmaster but again i don't think it can do what the distressor does.

CDSoundMaster Audio Software | EL8 Preamp Collection
Disto by SKNote plus a HenryOlanga Mojo after it... As close as I can find.

SKNote is incredibly high value version of Distressor/Fatso. HO gives it that last little bit (free if you have Neb Pro already).

That's a whopping $30...
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Hey yous! I've had wonderful time with Nebula, also frustrating as I seem to have some exotic issues performance wise.. But sooner or later they will be ironed out and then it will be time for me to dive into reverb offerings.

Now, there's VXNT, Plates of Legends and whatnot.. What would be the recommendation for the "absolute sweetest, most impressive" reverb library for female voice? And not just any female, she's my loved one and her voice is like honey, so I want something really special for my lady <3
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
RoomHunters did something similar with Theater of Life. It is now free, you can find download links in the Acustica forum. While I love the concept and think it has serious potential, the room they chose is, in my opinion, much too colored to be useable for classical/orchestral. It would be awesome if somebody would sample a concert hall that way.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
RoomHunters did something similar with Theater of Life. It is now free, you can find download links in the Acustica forum. While I love the concept and think it has serious potential, the room they chose is, in my opinion, much too colored to be useable for classical/orchestral. It would be awesome if somebody would sample a concert hall that way.
Perhaps I should try it again, but I remember not finding it terribly useful. It seems like there aren't a ton of people with the computer power or wanting to work around the latency to use Nebula reverbs so it's hard to imagine someone investing the time and money to sample a bunch of nice acoustic spaces, halls, cathedrals, studios, etc.

Who knows, look what Giancarlo has done with Acqua over the laster year... maybe he'll figure something out?
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Just curious as to why you would want to run room samples on Nebula that have no nonlinearities whatsoever. What am I missing?

-Casey
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Just curious as to why you would want to run room samples on Nebula that have no nonlinearities whatsoever. What am I missing?

-Casey
Good question. I guess my experience with plates and spring reverbs done in Nebula is much more convincing than similar devices using a convolution reverb. I only assumed that a real room captured would also sound better... but I'm not sure this is true. Just speculating...
Old 1st December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post

-Casey
Are reverbs truly linear? I've heard that mentioned rather often, but I have never found any research about it. If they are completely linear than there is indeed no need to sample them with nebula.
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, real spaces are linear. The time of arrival of discreet portions of the reverb may slowly change randomly over time. Pitch does not change. This is different than the nonlinearities based on signal amplitude that Nebula reproduces.

Real plates and real chambers are not linear in that they are driven by electronics that introduce their characteristic nonlinearities.

-Casey
Old 1st December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've often wished and hoped someone would do an Alterverb type thing with Nebula... sampling a bunch of nice acoustic halls and studio rooms. At this point all of the best Nebula reverbs to me are plates and springs
There are actually a lot of great nebula reverbs, but you might have to do some digging and some xml tweaking. The CDSM producer pack has some nice verbs and I believe they are real spaces and not sampled boxes. Even the latest convo plugs cant touch the gooey gluey wetness of neb verbs and the ones that get kind of close actually use more cpu.
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Maniac

The "drum room" in the CDSM pack is quite nice....

Stratman
Old 14th December 2016
Hi, I have a question to the users of Nebula (setups) and Blue Cat Patchwork. I just bought Patchwork to be able to use AU plugins, f.e. Blue EQ from Aqua line, in PT and also to chain Nebula libraries. Now I found out, that when I load an AU in Patchwork it doesn't show me the setup libraries I created with Nebula Setup (they are only existent as XMLs in a special folder and cannot be opened by Patchwork). This is strange, because as native AAX plugins the Nebula Setup libraries are existent as AAX-plugins in the Avid plugin folder. This is odd because one gets so used to using Setup libraries with individual skins etc. Especially with all the new libraries by Tim. So my question: has anybody been confronted with the same problem and found a workaround or something? Or are all others using Nyrv Agent? I tried that to but I preferred Patchwork. Thanks for your help! Geret
Old 14th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Hi, I have a question to the users of Nebula (setups) and Blue Cat Patchwork. I just bought Patchwork to be able to use AU plugins, f.e. Blue EQ from Aqua line, in PT and also to chain Nebula libraries. Now I found out, that when I load an AU in Patchwork it doesn't show me the setup libraries I created with Nebula Setup (they are only existent as XMLs in a special folder and cannot be opened by Patchwork). This is strange, because as native AAX plugins the Nebula Setup libraries are existent as AAX-plugins in the Avid plugin folder. This is odd because one gets so used to using Setup libraries with individual skins etc. Especially with all the new libraries by Tim. So my question: has anybody been confronted with the same problem and found a workaround or something? Or are all others using Nyrv Agent? I tried that to but I preferred Patchwork. Thanks for your help! Geret
Have you tried using VST instead of AU? I have no problem opening Nebula's I've created from Nebula Setups, but I'm in Windows opening VST Acqua's and Nebula's.
Old 14th December 2016
Quote:
Have you tried using VST instead of AU? I have no problem opening Nebula's I've created from Nebula Setups, but I'm in Windows opening VST Acqua's and Nebula's.
That's funny, Benj, the moment I received the note that somebody (you) answered my post, I thought - well, why don't I try to create VSTs with setup (normally I only create AUs and AAXs because I only use PT and Logic) and see if they show up as plugins. And then you posted the same idea, thanks, I will try and then report back. Nice of you to help out so fast, cheers, Geret
Old 14th December 2016
Quote:
Hi Benj, great, it works, thanks, that looks like fun I am gonna have tonight....
Kindly, Geret
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Hey yous! I've had wonderful time with Nebula, also frustrating as I seem to have some exotic issues performance wise.. But sooner or later they will be ironed out and then it will be time for me to dive into reverb offerings.

Now, there's VXNT, Plates of Legends and whatnot.. What would be the recommendation for the "absolute sweetest, most impressive" reverb library for female voice? And not just any female, she's my loved one and her voice is like honey, so I want something really special for my lady <3
What, no love?
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

@ZenMaster it's without a doubt reverberate 2 from liquidsonics.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Addict
Nebula 3 pro

Hi, Gents. Looking to pick your brains again, if you have the time.
I've started using Nebula mics for vocal tracks and have had significant improvements in tone etc.
Was wandering if anyone uses them, and which they find the best, especially for vocals. Many thanks . John.

Last edited by FFTW; 17th December 2016 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
What, no love?
hi ZenMaster , sorry for chiming in so late

personally i dont think any algo/ir verb can compete with nebulas plates and spring verbs,
they are really deep and blend in with the audio so effortless

i think VNXT 140 is lovely on vocals
i don't got all plates in nebula yet but you can try out a demo of Vnxt 140 plate , its a 2 second full quality preset so you
will instantly know if you like it or not

also try out the VNXT spring verb demos , the bx20 is lovely
its full quality demo as well and no time restriction same for the 140 plate
the sping verbs is lovely on guitars and several instruments, but can also work well on vocals

a certain well known artist called Adele used spring verb on her vocals with great luck

if you need pre delay just use a totally clean single digital delay before nebula verb instances
you will very likely find a delay like that in any DAW

i have not found any algos that i think can compete with these

i tried them against uad 140 plate, non contest, nebula wins easy
the newer ua bx20 sounds much better and more up to date but nebula still wins, nebula just got that something extra
i tried many others as well, Nebula is truly special
i usually print stems of the the nebula verbs when i have found what i like for vocals

i do agree that reverbrate 2 is a really good verb
one of the best non nebula verbs and a really great bang for the buck

but the first place for plates and spring verbs still goes to nebula IMHO
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTW View Post
Hi, Gents. Looking to pick your brains again, if you have the time.
I've started using Nebula mics for vocal tracks and have had significant improvements in tone etc.
Was wandering if anyone uses them, and which they find the best, especially for vocals. Many thanks . John.
HO has the mics i like the most , its crazy how some of them feels by slapping them on
no matter what mic that was used in the tracking,
they sound great even on my sm57 for vocals,
great on SM7b and Miktek CV4 on vocals as well
they add character for sure but also seems to clean up the audio a little

my personal go to`s for vocals
C12 , U47 and U67, i have to throw in the ROY(Royer) mics as well
they can certainly work on vocals too
but most of the time i tend to use the Royers on guitars(especiall electric) with notes that stick you in the ear now and then
to tame the ear sticking notes without feeling processed

all HO mics can be useful but C12 , U47, U67, and the Royers is a good place to start, at least for me
i went trough them all experimented for a long time and ended up with these as my go to`s

i always play a little with different distances for the mics, any mic that has options

Gemini mics can be great too, they're royer is also a good one
but i like that the HO ones have more options/presets
but that doesn't mean that the Gemini isn't good
if you like HO royers i do recommend getting the Gemini too

but you cant beat the price of zero with a quality that is very hard to beat even in late 2016

i love the C12 in omini if the track has to much low mids in it
it just cleans it up and sounds very very nice
U47 is lovely for bigger, fatter sounding especially if the vocals sounds a little thin

i also like HO bae,vintage 73 and titanv2 pres a lot for vocals
but there is times i go for the not go to`s as well with both mics and pres
when i feel the go to`s didn't work for the source

HO rules

HO also has the best sounding pres in nebula IMO

i bought Alex B PC&S mic pre collection, i ended up underwhelmed
and went right back to HO`s hehe

i would not mind to hear about your go to`s as well good folks
it could be and interesting discussion that we all might learn a thing or two from

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search