The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 14th October 2016
Lives for gear
Excellent! Thanks for the hint. I love Focusrite comp for bass, will check it out!

BTW is anyone using anything from the stock library, I haven't even installed or used in, 100% commercial here. Just don't wanna miss a gem in the mud
Old 14th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
Excellent! Thanks for the hint. I love Focusrite comp for bass, will check it out!

BTW is anyone using anything from the stock library, I haven't even installed or used in, 100% commercial here. Just don't wanna miss a gem in the mud
Skip the AA stock library, but you MUST have the free HO "All You Can Eat", it should be considered the current stock library.
Old 14th October 2016
Totally agree! We use something from the Henry Olonga package every session. Start there and check back in a month or so after you've tried the tons of great programs. There are still some programs I haven't explored in his package. Nebula Hall of Fame!
Old 19th October 2016
I concur: SP79 and W95S sound fantastic. The clarity that comes from cleaning up the low mids and taming the full-bandwidth nature of digital recordings is really nostalgic and intoxicating.

I also purchased the Fa-tzu recently - what a killer library! Gonna get a bunch of use over here. I know it's been said, but I wish AlexB would do a Distress*r library.

I also wish for an awesome de-esser in nebula land. Anyone know of any newcomers? Would love to see a dbx 902. I have yet to fully put Sand through it's paces as a de-esser.

MG
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

I know the German Mastering Dynamics library from AlexB had a De-Esser in the GMD [1st version].

I hadn't used it ... and not sure if it is part of the V2 just released.
Old 20th October 2016
Gear Nut

I'm just getting to grips with Nebula land and finally sussed out the skins / setup thing last night so I could play with my TimP Surge and MR-5 EQs. I'm also running Sand on trial, having trialled Pink and Amethyst channel strips previously.

I should state up front that my tin ears are definitely not pro-engineer, I certainly appreciate a good mix but have never had the knowledge or inclination to pull up specific EQs for certain tasks - it's been Fabfilter ProQ2 across the board up till now. Compressors I find easier to judge differences better so have a few algo go-tos (mostly MJUC, but otherwise mpressor, the glue, vbc, psp old-timer).

But I'm definitely keen to nudge up the quality of my mixes if sweeter option are available. I have a habit of buying all the shiny new stuff then forgetting about it, so want to choose wisely in the Nebula world.

I am really impressed with the TimP eqs so far, the Surge sounds wonderfully smooth and the MREQs have that obvious Pultech sheen... maybe my ears do work! I also enjoyed playing with Sand - the workflow aspect is a big plus here I guess, having 4 bands of eq and the HP/LP filters to hand in one screen is a real time saver. Do I particularly prize the SSL "sound" and can I dial in tones I can't get through my TimP stuff? I don't think so. It just might take a little longer outside Acqua. Although that filter section sure is handy.

Compressor-wise: I have enjoyed playing with Sand's and Pink's snappy emulations, they definitely feel like a step up from my trusted algos. Can't say which I preferred - I guess I need to get stuck into a mix with both to hand to form an opinion. However if there are Nebula comps that I can buy a-la-carte which achieve the same sonic excellence then I would be very grateful to know which to try. I guess the ease of use aspect comes into play here again - e.g. having to select different programs for each ratio would be an extra level of hassle over Acqua.

Can I fulfil my needs without forking out the considerable $$$'s needed to get into Acqua? Maybe the workflow simplicity or "CoreX" coding make them a no-brainer? Or should I save my cash and source a carefully chosen selection of top notch Nebula libs to cover my high-end EQ/comp/pre/colouration needs?

Your thoughts much appreciated!
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazza26 View Post
I'm just getting to grips with Nebula land and finally sussed out the skins / setup thing last night so I could play with my TimP Surge and MR-5 EQs. I'm also running Sand on trial, having trialled Pink and Amethyst channel strips previously.

I should state up front that my tin ears are definitely not pro-engineer, I certainly appreciate a good mix but have never had the knowledge or inclination to pull up specific EQs for certain tasks - it's been Fabfilter ProQ2 across the board up till now. Compressors I find easier to judge differences better so have a few algo go-tos (mostly MJUC, but otherwise mpressor, the glue, vbc, psp old-timer).

But I'm definitely keen to nudge up the quality of my mixes if sweeter option are available. I have a habit of buying all the shiny new stuff then forgetting about it, so want to choose wisely in the Nebula world.

I am really impressed with the TimP eqs so far, the Surge sounds wonderfully smooth and the MREQs have that obvious Pultech sheen... maybe my ears do work! I also enjoyed playing with Sand - the workflow aspect is a big plus here I guess, having 4 bands of eq and the HP/LP filters to hand in one screen is a real time saver. Do I particularly prize the SSL "sound" and can I dial in tones I can't get through my TimP stuff? I don't think so. It just might take a little longer outside Acqua. Although that filter section sure is handy.

Compressor-wise: I have enjoyed playing with Sand's and Pink's snappy emulations, they definitely feel like a step up from my trusted algos. Can't say which I preferred - I guess I need to get stuck into a mix with both to hand to form an opinion. However if there are Nebula comps that I can buy a-la-carte which achieve the same sonic excellence then I would be very grateful to know which to try. I guess the ease of use aspect comes into play here again - e.g. having to select different programs for each ratio would be an extra level of hassle over Acqua.

Can I fulfil my needs without forking out the considerable $$$'s needed to get into Acqua? Maybe the workflow simplicity or "CoreX" coding make them a no-brainer? Or should I save my cash and source a carefully chosen selection of top notch Nebula libs to cover my high-end EQ/comp/pre/colouration needs?

Your thoughts much appreciated!
Both IMHO. Nebula has things you can't find in any Acqua with the single instance being the only draw back, Acqua's fill that workflow need and the comps are the best in the box, Tim's comps are my vocal comps while Acqua's are used everywhere else.

So what i do is use the best of both, In Reaper I premix or think of it as tracking, I'll use Nebula preamps, mics, tape etc track by track and then freeze 8-10 tracks at a time like I'm tracking the song in an 80 series/AMS Neve studio. Then I mix in S1 with mostly Acqua's (Sand) and Master the mix with Acqua's and Nebula if needed.
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Both IMHO. Nebula has things you can't find in any Acqua with the single instance being the only draw back, Acqua's fill that workflow need and the comps are the best in the box, Tim's comps are my vocal comps while Acqua's are used everywhere else.

So what i do is use the best of both, In Reaper I premix or think of it as tracking, I'll use Nebula preamps, mics, tape etc track by track and then freeze 8-10 tracks at a time like I'm tracking the song in an 80 series/AMS Neve studio. Then I mix in S1 with mostly Acqua's (Sand) and Master the mix with Acqua's and Nebula if needed.
Thanks for the response Will - yeah makes sense to have both I guess if they fulfil different tasks. What are your top Nebula go-tos may I ask?
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazza26 View Post
Thanks for the response Will - yeah makes sense to have both I guess if they fulfil different tasks. What are your top Nebula go-tos may I ask?
HO's free "All You Can Eat" would be #1 , I use it ever session and now that I'm using his mic's with my Slate VMS, I use it even more. If you don't have it, go get it today.

After that it's the usual top libraries most use, my library is huge and I just pre-mix like I was tracking using chains.
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

hello Nebula slutz

this one is a little of topic but only a nebula user who is used to the amazing nebula verbs qualifies to answer this

i truly thrust Nebula users when it comes to pure sound quality

what algo verbs is the most worthy to use beside nebula verbs to you ?

Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

The Nebula reverbs are the best, but cripple my machine sometimes on larger sessions, so I've had to find some flexibility in my approach, and found LiquidSonics Reverberate to be really quite decent.
Old 22nd October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
The Nebula reverbs are the best, but cripple my machine sometimes on larger sessions, so I've had to find some flexibility in my approach, and found LiquidSonics Reverberate to be really quite decent.
This. I had been completely avoiding neb verbs until today (even though I own a bunch), because I knew it would cause me to rework my mix approach due to the increased CPU usage. I will say that all the hype is correct - neb verbs completely smoke all algos :( Not what you want to hear I'm sure jfjer but just my findings. I still have a use for certain aspects of algo fx, however, I will almost entirely be using neb verbs from now on

MG
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Happily Second the appreciation of Liquidsonics Reverberate!

Even though it is actually not algorithmic. It is multiple streams of convolution modulated into one signal. It should be a familiar sound to Nebula users. It is not super light on CPU, but not to bad. Give it a try, and be sure to download the free Bricasti Fusion IRs. They are the best ones yet.

-Casey
Old 22nd October 2016
Gear Head

Exponential audio nimbus: (improved phoenixverb), amazing sound, natural and realistic.
Exponential audio R2: versatile and colored reverb, impressive sound, lexicon sound but more "elegant" and "subtle"
2caudio aether: "transparent" with a little character and "dark" sound, and one of the most versatile reverbs, is suitable even for sound design.
2caudio b2: similar concept to R2, but with more color and different options.
Relab 480: colored and amazing sound, the most accurate 480 amount algo plugins.
Flux ircam verb: probably the most transparent and realistic algo reverb, incredible sound.
Valhalla vintage verb: colored reverb, 3 different colors, a lot of reverbs, has enough options also, very good sound, and a cheap plugin, one of the best price-performance.

Zynaptic adaptiverb also seems really good but I didn't try it.

As convolutation reverbs:

Liquidsonics reverberate: the most advanced convolution reverb and the one with more options, its library is really excellent but not the most versatile.
Audioease Altiverb: very good plugin and sound, has the most versatile library and one of the best libraries, especially good for post-production and acoustic music.

I think these are the best algo reverbs
Old 22nd October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I know the German Mastering Dynamics library from AlexB had a De-Esser in the GMD [1st version].

I hadn't used it ... and not sure if it is part of the V2 just released.
Thanks, RJHollins. Yeah I remember seeing that but never purchased the GMD.

Another tool I'm really interested in finding is a stereo widener library. Annd a Cooper Time Cube library but I imagine that'll remain a tall order due to rarity.

MG
Old 22nd October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
hello Nebula slutz

this one is a little of topic but only a nebula user who is used to the amazing nebula verbs qualifies to answer this

i truly thrust Nebula users when it comes to pure sound quality

what algo verbs is the most worthy to use beside nebula verbs to you ?

Thanks
Get the free u-he Protoverb, too!! This thing creates some really good space.
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

This is my short list:

Liquidsonics Reverberate 2
Altiverb 7
Valhalla verb, vintage verb and plate
Exponential Audio verbs
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

I've been using Valhalla Vintage, but set to modern; preceded by a Hofa IQ EQ w a dynamic low shelf (set to around 300hz) that allows me to feed more kick/bass or any element where I'd like it to seem to be in the same "space" but low freq build up in the verb would be detrimental.

If you haven't tried a dynamic EQ on yr Verb aux before--- please play around.

The nebula part:

As mentioned I pretty much exclusively use the modern (cleanest) version of the verb, but have recently been adding an HO mic at the end. The Neumans have been winning.

As good as the Neb Verbs are, I'd suggest this as superior in many cases.

It wouldn't replace a Cathedral or a plate, but does a spectacular job of creating a pseudo studio space.

Last edited by David Ray; 22nd October 2016 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 26th October 2016
Lives for gear

Hey yall! I've been enjoying (and struggling a bit) with Neb3 Pro for few weeks now. The quality is just astonishing, so thanks @Shaolin for giving me the last push in the right direction.

I've adopted a workflow, some say Neb is a workflow killer, but the results are just so good and "easy" to achieve that this is making me work faster as there's no more endless tweaking going through hoops and chasing my tail, so for me this stuff just works, just like working with HW. There's a learning curve for sure, but after finding few favourites and getting them to resonate by driving them with levels that work it's all downhill from there. I've been surprisingly booked for a while and still am, so it's been a good test on the battlefield

Now, I'm using this thread as this is pretty active . . and I have some questions to the more experienced users.

After installing Nebula, things quickly went haywire, my system got shaky, with crashes and occasional system freezes. I use Reaper, so reading forums and doing some tweaks helped a lot, regarding Nebula usage, but at the same time some of the plugins that had earlier been rock solid started to cause problems. Mainly Kush's Omega plugs (huge cpu spikes) and Acustica's Pink strip. I have 16 GB ram (my sessions rarely have midi instruments, and if there's midi, it's always something "compact" ram-wise), and at first I noticed that after the project exceeded 3 GB ram usage the problems started to pile up big time. First thing (alongside the crashes) was the "latency" after stopping playback. The song would play for over 10 seconds at worst after hitting stop, and then would stop after some stutters. Enabling Anticipative FX processing helped here, but as I wrote, it made some other plugins useless. I'll have to dig into it deeper, as I remember that there's a feature to disable Anticipative FX processing on individual tracks if needed. I've luckily been busy working, so I haven't had the time to exhaust each possibility yet.

One weird thing with Nebula alongside with the Pink strip (which is currently the only Acqua plug I've bought) possibly comes down the memory usage also. On one project I had about 50 audio tracks, maybe about 15 Nebula instances and few, maybe 6 active Pink instances, iirc (there were maybe 6 more, but they were bypassed), and after copying one instance to another track, the new Pink instance went nuts, creating loud noises and claiming that I'd have to authorise it. Is this "normal" Nebula behaviour? I found a quick fix from Reaper, by opening the plugin browser, looked up Nebula (btw, I still haven't got the Neb Setups. I'll get it and go wild with it as soon as time allows), right clicking it and selecting "run as -> separate process". This made my system much more solid. On that said project I currently have 16 Nebula instances running, 4 active Pink strips, with total of 184 ( whoops!! ) plugins running, and the total cpu usage hovers under 20%! Ram usage is now at 3,4 GB and the buffer size is 2048. I like it And it runs smooth now.

However I'm afraid to add more as, even when there's plenty headroom, I'm afraid of things getting weird. And I haven't even gotten into using Nebula reverb libraries yet!!

Oh, one thing . . I've yet to purchase and to take the advantage of Nebula setups, but now I'm having a question about the .xml . . I've understood that using the Nebula3 Reverb, I'd save some more cpu, due to larger buffer size. However, when I try to open an instance of Neb Reverb, Reaper crashes instantly. So, should I tweak the main Nebula's .xml (and how) to make the buffer size larger? Or should I enter the Guru mode and tweak from there? And if I change it in this case (without Setups) from either one, will it affect every library?

All that said, I'm more than happy with the SOUND. Well worth all it. Time consuming, but this way I'll save several hundreds of thousands in cash and get the access to this luxury. I also made the quick impression that the tracks need much less processing/massaging/resurrecting etc, after learning to choose the "right" libraries, e.g. pre and console. Those alone make a HUGE difference. I was surprised as someone had described MFC being subtle! And someone heard no difference at all. I was floored after trying out stuff at the studio, listening through ATC scm25a's. My first impression was that all this stuff makes way too much of a difference, but after being a bit afraid and just going with it (and the some of the other libraries), stuff just sounds good!!

Thanks to all you in this thread, amazing library suggestions here (I subscribed this thread already years ago), and huge KUDOS to Acustica and the amazing 3rd party librarians

Last edited by ZenMaster; 27th October 2016 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: a typo
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

is there any harmonics in the lo pass filters in Alex B`s eq`s
or do i have to have the hi shelf at HQ as last in the chain ?

im not sure about this actually
it makes sense the LO pass could be the last one in the chain since it got HQ and LITE version

im setting up a full instance version of MMeQ

thanks and thanks for the algo verb tips good folks
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

Just a heads up, Tim P has released his beautiful sounding Vari-Level compressor!

http://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/vari-level/

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 4th November 2016 at 08:27 PM..
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

TimP vari Level is great
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Just a heads up, Tim P has released his beautiful sounding Vari-Level compressor!

Vari-Level - Tim Petherick
I love Tim's stuff and have quite a few of his EQs which are fantastic. However on the whole I have been underwhelmed by Nebula-based compressors (particularly compared to the newest Aquas). So keen to hear people's thoughts/experiences with this. If it is even half as good as it looks I will grab it.
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
I love Tim's stuff and have quite a few of his EQs which are fantastic. However on the whole I have been underwhelmed by Nebula-based compressors (particularly compared to the newest Aquas). So keen to hear people's thoughts/experiences with this. If it is even half as good as it looks I will grab it.
I've been out of Nebula land for a while. Are the aqua plugs doing something inherently different than Nebula does now, or you just like their particular captures better? I was under the impression that Nebula essentially is the architecture running behind nebula one-offs.
Old 6th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
I've been out of Nebula land for a while. Are the aqua plugs doing something inherently different than Nebula does now, or you just like their particular captures better? I was under the impression that Nebula essentially is the architecture running behind nebula one-offs.
I seem to recall it being related to which Core version was being used, with the more recent Acquas using an optimised version (but I could be wrong).
Old 6th November 2016
Lives for gear

Singularity is part of the 'Engine goal' of ACQUA and the next generation NEBULA.

It should be understood that not all ACQUA's require the latest CORE version ... so 'quality' should not be judged by reference to a core version number.
The needs of an Equalizer plugin are different than those of Compressors/Limiters, with the 'Core Version' meeting those requirements.
Old 6th November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
Is the same technology but nebula and libraries aren't updated to core8-9 (this engine version fix the compression problem that nebula had). The current aqua compressors with core8-9 work pretty good, there aren't a big problems anymore. Pink compressor, sand compressor, coral compressor sound amazing, and maybe the only problem is to make a more accurate compression with very long release (for example autorelase in sand).
Nebula4 will include core9 and we have to wait until third party developers make new libraries or new versions.
Old 6th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDerick View Post
Is the same technology but nebula and libraries aren't updated to core8-9 (this engine version fix the compression problem that nebula had). The current aqua compressors with core8-9 work pretty good, there aren't a big problems anymore. Pink compressor, sand compressor, coral compressor sound amazing, and maybe the only problem is to make a more accurate compression with very long release (for example autorelase in sand).
Nebula4 will include core9 and we have to wait until third party developers make new libraries or new versions.

Not all current libraries at this time are created the same way, a lot of issues can be solved by the technique used to create the library.

Long story short I never usually release any library unless something progressive is going on.

Vari-level the latest release, it probably has one of the smoothest long releases ever created in the tech, I'll be making some posts regarding this. Also there is a auto release created in vari level, that emulates a cap charge(something I've done before but more refined now) What is different is how the end result is achieved. We are lucky enough to have a xml linking page to change things inside nebula, as I know of only a few devs ever changed the things in the standard templates. Most releases use standard templates.

Last edited by TimP Nebula; 6th November 2016 at 10:24 AM..
Old 17th November 2016
Just want to give a shoutout for Cupwise's Slick 9k comps... I've been using them a lot in conjunction with SAND and just loving the results. I use all kinds of color boxes to get the funk going on, but for a utility comp, even all things considered that the lib was released a ways back, I think the tone and function is fantastic. The sound of the high frequency smack upon compression is really exciting to the ear and is a perfect companion for SAND preamps and SAND's buss comp. For me, basically an ideal SS-EL console Tim Cupwise has an ear for nebula compression and it shows in this lib.

MG
Old 23rd November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDerick View Post
Exponential audio nimbus: (improved phoenixverb), amazing sound, natural and realistic.
Exponential audio R2: versatile and colored reverb, impressive sound, lexicon sound but more "elegant" and "subtle"
2caudio aether: "transparent" with a little character and "dark" sound, and one of the most versatile reverbs, is suitable even for sound design.
2caudio b2: similar concept to R2, but with more color and different options.
Relab 480: colored and amazing sound, the most accurate 480 amount algo plugins.
Flux ircam verb: probably the most transparent and realistic algo reverb, incredible sound.
Valhalla vintage verb: colored reverb, 3 different colors, a lot of reverbs, has enough options also, very good sound, and a cheap plugin, one of the best price-performance.

Zynaptic adaptiverb also seems really good but I didn't try it.

As convolutation reverbs:

Liquidsonics reverberate: the most advanced convolution reverb and the one with more options, its library is really excellent but not the most versatile.
Audioease Altiverb: very good plugin and sound, has the most versatile library and one of the best libraries, especially good for post-production and acoustic music.

I think these are the best algo reverbs

Anyone using Nebula reverbs for Classical/Film Score stuff ? Im only using algos at the mo in my template. Close / Mid / Far's are all B2s and a really dry no tail b2 on the master. Looking for some good nebula options though *most seem to funky for classical).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search