The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

any improvements in the new U73 Alex b dynamics ?

what do you guys think of his new upgraded German mastering libs in general ?

Thanks
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

Hi jfjer,

I'm A/B'ing the German Mastering Console and EQ [and Dynamics] between the original V1 release, and the just released V2 on a mastering session [that I've been stalling on because of the rumored update release].

I'm early in the testing ... and I'll say, very much overwhelmed with the improvements. I had no idea that this console/eq could be taken to this sonic level.

Honestly ... I'm not able to [yet] put into words to fully describe. I did post a quick observation on the AA forum, but I'm still in 'stun-mode'.

I am A/B'ing v1 to v2 chains [each with 6+ instances]. I need to verify that every setting and gain stage correctly match ... but the sonic improvement is so dramatic improvement, that it is difficult to WANT to test. I just want to take the time to listen.

I will quickly say that the 'little things' that bothered in V1 [and that I corrected] have been dealt with ... and then some. PLUS ... there are more Preset options, AND AlexB has included both 44.1 & 96K SR's. He has more than doubled the number of dynamic 'kernels' while still including the ND presets.

That's all I can say for the moment ... I've got to get back and listen to this Suite and the mastering session.

I'm absolutely glad I delayed the release.

later
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear
I just started working with the Mastering Eq using LE's & one HQ instance. No Input with Clean Bus Out & filters.

Overall the sound is cleaner but still has that nice full sound. HFs is more natural, find myself boosting it about +1db more than the older version. LFs is tighter while cuts sound more transparent than the previous.

Haven't tried the u73 yet but it's sounding nice with very little in the chain.

So far, so good! am pleased
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Hey people! I'm new to Nebula, loving the sound of course, but it is a bit unstable on my pc. I'm on Reaper with i7 4790k cpu, so far the cpu has been doing ok, and freezing tracks obviously helps. So far I've been using Henry O's bundle, Flucti-Mew and Signaltonoize's Powered Bus. Loving them all

Alexb's MFC and A16 channels caught my attention and seem to be highly praised here. How is the cpu consumption on these libraries? The libraries I already have offer already mojo and grit, I suppose MFC would help me a bit with the width and depth department right? Then again also the A16 seems to be great all-round solution..What do you say??
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Hey people! I'm new to Nebula, loving the sound of course, but it is a bit unstable on my pc. I'm on Reaper with i7 4790k cpu, so far the cpu has been doing ok, and freezing tracks obviously helps. So far I've been using Henry O's bundle, Flucti-Mew and Signaltonoize's Powered Bus. Loving them all

Alexb's MFC and A16 channels caught my attention and seem to be highly praised here. How is the cpu consumption on these libraries? The libraries I already have offer already mojo and grit, I suppose MFC would help me a bit with the width and depth department right? Then again also the A16 seems to be great all-round solution..What do you say??
MFC is incredible. But I wouldn't try using it live on every channel... you should pick up an offline renderer like NebulaMan or similar.
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

I'm a huge MFC fan, it's in between the SSL 9K and classic 80 series Neve in tone. If you go MFC, use the HO Titan (Helios) or 1073 (Neve) for pre's or line in, then chain it into the MFC, so you have vintage Neve or Helios into modern Neve, sounds fantastic! MFeQ is also great for the AMS 88RS Eq.
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

i used MFC on my master on my latest mix and it was rock
who would have though that
i hated MFC for rock not many months ago

for this song it worked out great
i did of course add some n14 for the buses and i added ssl 4k for the drum bus

its marvelous to hybrid the consoles up like that

and its exiting every time

i made a neb setup for all my master presets for my consoles
and a setup for all my console group bus presets

its very fast figuring out what i like the most at the time doing it this way
i follow my gut feeling and stick with it

for the tracks i use HO pres all the way i prefer them over any other nebula pres
i chimed it down to my go to pres and made a setup for that as well

did the same with HO and Gemini mics

Nebula rocks
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
i used MFC on my master on my latest mix and it was rock
who would have though that
i hated MFC for rock not many months ago

for this song it worked out great
i did of course add some n14 for the buses and i added ssl 4k for the drum bus

its marvelous to hybrid the consoles up like that

and its exiting every time

i made a neb setup for all my master presets for my consoles
and a setup for all my console group bus presets

its very fast figuring out what i like the most at the time doing it this way
i follow my gut feeling and stick with it

for the tracks i use HO pres all the way i prefer them over any other nebula pres
i chimed it down to my go to pres and made a setup for that as well

did the same with HO and Gemini mics

Nebula rocks
Sounds like somebody is developing a nice custom workflow.
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

I'm not sure what to expect from the MFC . . of course I should mix into the busses, and that's what makes me question the cpu usage. NebulaMan and Setups will have to wait for now. After two days of skimming through the AYCE bundle I found stuff that just works. So it's easy to gainstage and freeze. But the busses are a different animal as I would want to keep them open for whatever changes till the end, so no freezing there.

What would you say would be the biggest benefit from using the buss programs? There's no possibility to demo so it's all imagining for me until I purchase it.
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Oh, and Will The Weirdo, thanks for helping me with pm's and giving me a little push!
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Head
dont forget camel crusher
Old 1st October 2016
Quote:
What would you say would be the biggest benefit from using the buss programs? There's no possibility to demo so it's all imagining for me until I purchase it.
To me, it's just a bit more flavor. It makes a nice subtle difference depending upon the console you use.
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Head
Synth skills: how to make your soft synths sound real | MusicRadar

this technique seems more fun then plug ins

why not run through cheap analog mixer and cheap distortion/saturation pedal. that's guarunteed to add flavour. just an idea
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, and Will The Weirdo, thanks for helping me with pm's and giving me a little push!
i think Will has helped the most of us

Thanks Will
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfus View Post
Synth skills: how to make your soft synths sound real | MusicRadar

this technique seems more fun then plug ins

why not run through cheap analog mixer and cheap distortion/saturation pedal. that's guarunteed to add flavour. just an idea
You can make a burger with cheap stale bread and subpar meat, or you can try to do it with fresh bread and the best meat your butcher can get. Which one will taste better?
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
i think Will has helped the most of us

Thanks Will
You're welcome guys, I've been helped by many over the years, I'm just paying it forward.

I still remember my first Nebula days...... I was a bit lost. If I can help remove any % of that feeling for another, I do.
Old 3rd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I'm a huge MFC fan, it's in between the SSL 9K and classic 80 series Neve in tone. If you go MFC, use the HO Titan (Helios) or 1073 (Neve) for pre's or line in, then chain it into the MFC, so you have vintage Neve or Helios into modern Neve, sounds fantastic! MFeQ is also great for the AMS 88RS Eq.
Mmmkay.. Was MFC one of those plugins that DIDN'T work in Neb3 Pro? All I could see was init . . I had high hopes

I tried to reinstall but no go. Am I missing something?

*** EDIT ***

oops just read the manual. I didn't know about the registration procedure. Gonna try that one next
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

AlexB Consoles ...

Yet another Mastering session got the call for the German Mastering Suite [Console & EQ].

The project was a restoration/mastering from a live recording [est. 1972-3].

Part of my 'tools' consideration looks at equipment that would have been available in that time-frame.

Brought in AlexB's GMC & EQ [the very latest v2 release].

Must say, there is something so musical about this GM Suite. The Console has such a nice way of clearing up the low-mid bass. Helps re-define it so nicely, it already starts to sound like a record.

The EQ is equally surprising. There are 'only' 3 'Q' settings available, but the choice limit covers so many options. It really is difficult to mess something up.

Talk about cranking an EQ ... having to re-structure these live recordings, I had +10 or 12 dB on a specific band ... a tremendous amount of gain/correction ... but that was no problem for this EQ.

The HP/LP filters are great.

The Shelves have limited freq points, which at first didn't quite go to where I needed, but with a slight change in EQ strategy, was able to use a peak band and let the Shelves address their area of specialty.

The Console & EQ have a 'flavor' ... and very nice flavor [NEUMANN W495STB has good taste]. I had to be mindful of how many bands would use Full Harmonics, and which run 'clean'. I use a custom designed software MIDI controller [from my NVC dev series], that controls 12 NEBULA instances from this single GUI interface. For this latest session, I ran Filters FULL and the end Hi Shelf band FULL. The EQ's were 'bookend' with the Console PRE and the Vanilla master BUS.

This is getting to be a go to set-up.

I do still call on other support EQ's, comps/limiters. The TimP SURGE-EQ is just spectacular. Also, the AlexB MMeQ, SSL-Brn, and ELY, all bring great things to the sonic table.

On the ACQUA front, obviously the new UM-3, AM-3, and the new SAND are important. I'll mention ... TimP is working up a new compressor. We are still in beta with it ... but I can already say, this thing sounds great. Talk about firming up the bottom structure of a mix. I cannot wait for the next beta-release. [actually, I don't even care if it compresses ... this thing brings it like few others].

In defense ... I think MFC is an outstanding Console ... the whole package. I've purchased almost all of AlexB's creations. Because my work involves all types of musical styles/sounds, I'm happy to have a large pallet to custom chose from.

What that also means ... I may start from a NEVE flavor in early shaping, then could move to an SSL style for a particular genre, and certain client 'expectation'.

Haven't even mentioned CDS's TAPE libraries ....

Old 4th October 2016
MFC was a game changer. Just adds a wonderful "glue" and tone to your overall mix.

While we're waiting for our VMS to arrive, we've been experimenting with the HO mic programs and a Violet Design, fairly flat, mic. This is a whole new landscape of mic emulation. Try the 149, Gefell 930, Neumann U87, and the Telefunken, it adds some brilliant new mic sounds. You can really see where this whole field is headed.
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

yep HO mics are great
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
While we're waiting for our VMS to arrive, we've been experimenting with the HO mic programs and a Violet Design, fairly flat, mic. This is a whole new landscape of mic emulation. Try the 149, Gefell 930, Neumann U87, and the Telefunken, it adds some brilliant new mic sounds. You can really see where this whole field is headed.
I've had a lot of fun using HO's mic's and preamps with VMS, I wish Henry had a C800G.
Old 4th October 2016
Henry O was way ahead of his time! Hope someone like AlexB or TimP takes a stab at this whole concept. And yes, a Sony 800g would be a great addition. Something tells me with the success of VMS a great Nebula programmer might take a stab at more mics/preamps for the VMS. Or if you have an excellent flat mic and clean preamp already, the whole thing opens up for Nebula users with the right programs. Just thinking out loud!
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear
Looking for a nice Manley Vari Mu for Nebula. Is that available?
I do have the Rythmeinmind vari mu which isn't a manley afaik and it seems HO did a mojo preset that I haven't tested.
Old 5th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
Looking for a nice Manley Vari Mu for Nebula. Is that available?
I do have the Rythmeinmind vari mu which isn't a manley afaik and it seems HO did a mojo preset that I haven't tested.
Cupwise has it @ Flucti-Mew Mastering Compressor/Limiter – Cupwise FX
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear
Cool, thanks! Did anyone try it?
Old 6th October 2016
Gear Addict

Yes, flucti-mew is cool, sort of "melts" the audio into one in a special vibey way.
Old 6th October 2016
Gear Head

I hope some 3rd party developer will sample gyratec g14, I don't know a eq more euphonic and musical than this.
Old 13th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
AlexB Consoles ...

Yet another Mastering session got the call for the German Mastering Suite [Console & EQ].

The project was a restoration/mastering from a live recording [est. 1972-3].

Part of my 'tools' consideration looks at equipment that would have been available in that time-frame.

Brought in AlexB's GMC & EQ [the very latest v2 release].

Must say, there is something so musical about this GM Suite. The Console has such a nice way of clearing up the low-mid bass. Helps re-define it so nicely, it already starts to sound like a record.

The EQ is equally surprising. There are 'only' 3 'Q' settings available, but the choice limit covers so many options. It really is difficult to mess something up.

Talk about cranking an EQ ... having to re-structure these live recordings, I had +10 or 12 dB on a specific band ... a tremendous amount of gain/correction ... but that was no problem for this EQ.

The HP/LP filters are great.

The Shelves have limited freq points, which at first didn't quite go to where I needed, but with a slight change in EQ strategy, was able to use a peak band and let the Shelves address their area of specialty.

The Console & EQ have a 'flavor' ... and very nice flavor [NEUMANN W495STB has good taste]. I had to be mindful of how many bands would use Full Harmonics, and which run 'clean'. I use a custom designed software MIDI controller [from my NVC dev series], that controls 12 NEBULA instances from this single GUI interface. For this latest session, I ran Filters FULL and the end Hi Shelf band FULL. The EQ's were 'bookend' with the Console PRE and the Vanilla master BUS.

This is getting to be a go to set-up.

I do still call on other support EQ's, comps/limiters. The TimP SURGE-EQ is just spectacular. Also, the AlexB MMeQ, SSL-Brn, and ELY, all bring great things to the sonic table.

On the ACQUA front, obviously the new UM-3, AM-3, and the new SAND are important. I'll mention ... TimP is working up a new compressor. We are still in beta with it ... but I can already say, this thing sounds great. Talk about firming up the bottom structure of a mix. I cannot wait for the next beta-release. [actually, I don't even care if it compresses ... this thing brings it like few others].

In defense ... I think MFC is an outstanding Console ... the whole package. I've purchased almost all of AlexB's creations. Because my work involves all types of musical styles/sounds, I'm happy to have a large pallet to custom chose from.

What that also means ... I may start from a NEVE flavor in early shaping, then could move to an SSL style for a particular genre, and certain client 'expectation'.

Haven't even mentioned CDS's TAPE libraries ....

Thanks for the thorough feedback on this library, RJHollins. I purchased SP79 and W495STM for this reason I saw the comps you were mentioning, but out of curiosity, do you find any mastering comps getting a lot of use? Or do you just use whatever flavor(s) of Acqua seem to work with the track? I enjoy several combos of Acquas (AM-3, 7236, Titanium) and Neb comps for sure (Vari-Mew, Fenix Red) and I'm toying with the idea of Sand being killer for mastering duty just because it's one of the only fast attack comps I've really loved the sound of. However, I'm curious about the U73. I'm just ruminating on specifically what a "mastering" comp can bring to the party, and also on the feeling that new AA Core9 tech feels to me like it may smoke the old tech, which makes me want to look for newer comps even though I LOVE the tone of some of the old mainstays. Slightly OT but thoughts on this?

MG
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear
Hey guys, i was just wondering ... do we have a focusrite comp in nebulaland?
Old 13th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
Hey guys, i was just wondering ... do we have a focusrite comp in nebulaland?
Focus comp pro - Tim Petherick

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search