The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
That's funny. I was just looking for pics of the original, to see what would be involved
i was looking at the prices what an original unit costs yesterday lol

darn its expensive lol

agent and nebula its a incredible less pricey solution haha

i hope you're pro tools issues get fixed by the way xmission
Old 13th August 2016
I have faith in AA getting it straightened out eventually.

I'm going to demo the bluecat patchwork plug and see if it helps.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Surge-eq has 4 sample rates. Nice.
Old 13th August 2016
I'm finding Surge pretty easy to dial in, and it sounds nice.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

So..... what's Tim's new Tube mid range EQ sampled from?
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
So..... what's Tim's new Tube mid range EQ sampled from?
Pultec MEQ-5
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Agent and patchwork + SRC

Hey guys, especially the cat with the cigar and The Weirdo !

I'm using setups in Nebula with Patchwork, and I'm trying Agent that JFJer and Will are using. In both cases, I'm having this issue : I do my chain using setups with automatic loading of a default preset, at 44.1. But when I have to load a session in any different sampling rate than 44.1, Nebula is not doing the SRC properly. Did you guys find a workaround ?

Thanks !
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post

I'm using setups in Nebula with Patchwork, and I'm trying Agent that JFJer and Will are using. In both cases, I'm having this issue : I do my chain using setups with automatic loading of a default preset, at 44.1. But when I have to load a session in any different sampling rate than 44.1, Nebula is not doing the SRC properly. Did you guys find a workaround ?

Thanks !
if you are doing 96 session for example with 44.1 nebula lib versions = not good

thats like upscaling a digital picture to the point where you can see the pixels
it becomes a very inaccurate presentation of the original picture
but if you downscale a picture it will not cause much loss in quality, if any

i think the same apply to nebula sample rates

if you regularly change you're session sample rates perhaps set up nebula with 96 libs as standard, the cost is a little longer loading times
CDSM use only 96 sampled nebula libs to my knowledge and they work in all sample rates
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
if you are doing 96 session for example with 44.1 nebula lib versions = not good

thats like upscaling a digital picture to the point where you can see the pixels
it becomes a very inaccurate presentation of the original picture
but if you downscale a picture it will not cause much loss in quality, if any

i think the same apply to nebula sample rates

if you regularly change you're session sample rates perhaps set up nebula with 96 libs as standard, the cost is a little longer loading times
CDSM use only 96 sampled nebula libs to my knowledge and they work in all sample rates
What I meant is that Nebula is not doing the conversion properly. The frequency flashes. Plus, I could load significantly less instances if I was doing my setups at 96k default. Are you guys loading 44.1 by default, and not working at all in other rates ?
Old 14th August 2016
Quote:
What I meant is that Nebula is not doing the conversion properly. The frequency flashes. Plus, I could load significantly less instances if I was doing my setups at 96k default. Are you guys loading 44.1 by default, and not working at all in other rates ?
Avgatzeblouz, I have had this exact same issue on Mac 10.10 with Pro Tools 12 using Patchwork and Agent, as well as in Reaper 5 just using the vst Nebula Setups. Very frustrating. I work almost exclusively in 48k. I've posted about this on AA's forum to no avail, and also opened a support ticket. I have not tried their recommended approach yet because I am concerned about corrupting my current working system amidst multiple projects.

Wish I could be of more help, but I wanted to let you know you're not experiencing this alone.

MG
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks !
I've found that any instance of BlueCat's Patchwork loaded with a 44.1kHz version of Nebula (from say a template originally made at 44.1) into a 96kHz session will not work correctly until removing all 44.1kHz instances and then saving and reopening the session. You could also open a second instance of Patchwork and copy 96kHz Nebula plugins from there and paste them into the Patchwork instance that had the 44.1kHz plugins. Either way should get Nebula back to the correct sample rate settings.
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Hi guys, thanks for your input. I wonder if this is a Nebula or a chainer issue. Benj, you mean ou have to close and reopen your DAW or your Patchwork instances ?
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a setting in your Nebula.XML file that needs to be adjusted.

The marker is:

<RATECONVERSION> 4500000 </RATECONVERSION>

I don't recall the MAX setting for this, but a search on AA forum for RATECONVERSION will tell. On my old [now dead] computer, the setting was: <RATECONVERSION> 6000000 </RATECONVERSION>

Just load the XML file into NOTEPAD. Make the edit. Save.
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for your input. I wonder if this is a Nebula or a chainer issue. Benj, you mean ou have to close and reopen your DAW or your Patchwork instances ?
After relacing 44.1kHz Nebula instances with 96kHz, close and reopen the session. If you don't want to do that, then you can try making a new instance of Patchwork and add 96kHz instances of Nebula there and copy and paste them into the original patchwork instance.

This is assuming you have Nebula instances that read 44.1kHz to 44.1kHz in a 96kHz session and adding a 96kHz Nebula program in the same Patchwork instance reads as 96kHz to 44.1kHz.

The best practice would be having different templates for different sample rates.
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
The best practice would be having different templates for different sample rates.
I think so too, but it is a little PITA... Thanks for your input, man !
Old 14th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
There is a setting in your Nebula.XML file that needs to be adjusted.

The marker is:

<RATECONVERSION> 4500000 </RATECONVERSION>

I don't recall the MAX setting for this, but a search on AA forum for RATECONVERSION will tell. On my old [now dead] computer, the setting was: <RATECONVERSION> 6000000 </RATECONVERSION>

Just load the XML file into NOTEPAD. Make the edit. Save.
FWIW, this did not work for me in global or local tweaking.
Old 14th August 2016
Quote:
I have had this same issue when opening vst Nebula Setups instances in Reaper (no chainers/wrappers in use). And in my particular case, my PITA workaround is to hit reload every time and then the SRC sticks. Remembering that you are a Windows user, I'm not sure this is relevant for you but best of luck getting it sorted.

MG
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Just a heads up, HO just posted a zip with some missing files for AYCE....

http://www.nebulapresets.com/1_Henry...sing_files.zip
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
I have had this same issue when opening vst Nebula Setups instances in Reaper (no chainers/wrappers in use). And in my particular case, my PITA workaround is to hit reload every time and then the SRC sticks. Remembering that you are a Windows user, I'm not sure this is relevant for you but best of luck getting it sorted.

MG
Did you post this at the AA forum ??

There was an issue that AA had to deal with, and added a special setting [in XML file] to lock NEBULA to a SampleRate. Certain 'chainers' did not report session SampleRate when Nebula was loading ... so it didn't know].

I don't recall all the details ... but maybe the issue is covered with this. Post at AA so that it will be seen by Tech.
Old 19th August 2016
Quote:
Just a heads up, HO just posted a zip with some missing files for AYCE....

http://www.nebulapresets.com/1_Henry...sing_files.zip
Thanks Will!
Old 19th August 2016
Guys, I've got to tell you...

Yesterday I decided to test out the consoles deal, and took a song that I felt was mixed pretty well, and added console LI,panners, busses, and 2 buss to the song for each console that I have (MFC,4kG,A16). I wasn't really floored by any of them, although they each had something I liked. The API absolutely had a big full bass sound that wasn't on the others, and the drums sounded very good, the SSL seemed to bring a little more punch to the drums that I thought was a little nicer than the API (I do already have some pink on some of the channels though), and the 88 had more open sparkle, and let the space show more. If I had to choose one, I'd have chosen the 88, but the bottom wasn't what I wanted.

So, API on the bass stuff
SSL on the drums with the exception that I wound up back with the 88 drum buss, to let more sparkle though
88 on everything else.

It's a step above my original mix now. Wow
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
Guys, I've got to tell you...

Yesterday I decided to test out the consoles deal, and took a song that I felt was mixed pretty well, and added console LI,panners, busses, and 2 buss to the song for each console that I have (MFC,4kG,A16). I wasn't really floored by any of them, although they each had something I liked. The API absolutely had a big full bass sound that wasn't on the others, and the drums sounded very good, the SSL seemed to bring a little more punch to the drums that I thought was a little nicer than the API (I do already have some pink on some of the channels though), and the 88 had more open sparkle, and let the space show more. If I had to choose one, I'd have chosen the 88, but the bottom wasn't what I wanted.

So, API on the bass stuff
SSL on the drums with the exception that I wound up back with the 88 drum buss, to let more sparkle though
88 on everything else.

It's a step above my original mix now. Wow
Yeah, mixing and matching the consoles is great. I'm currently loving a vintage Neve tracking approach then a modern Neve MFC for mixing, but with the SSL Bus Comp and Cupwise Vari-Mu just touching the 2 bus...... yummy. I just picked up the FNX Red and will see how that can blend too.
Experimentation is the key, you can really bend an album's sonics is such a subtle but noticeable way....... gotta love Nebula.
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

A point on console use.

While adding a console setup AFTER you've put a mix together ... is one thing. Yep, it is a way to evaluate console flavor, texture, size, depth ...

but it is NOT utilizing the full potential. [i know ... hard to believe at first read ... but stay with].

Beginning your session with a console emulation established FIRST.

Now ... every sonic decision [eq, compression, etc], interact with the console character.

Think about it ... High-end Consoles are not considered a 'sound effects' unit. Rather, they are the sonic landscape that everything is interpreted through.
This can have a profound impact on your sonic choices and decisions.
It is also a cumulative impact.

To truly A/B [rather than a fast compare]. You would begin a new mix in a complete console enviro of choice ... THEN
you do a 2nd, NEW, mix with a different console.

For each test, you start from the raw track. EQ choices would NOT be 'trying to remember what you did in the 'other' mix, you're mixing fresh to the desired sonic goal.

After completing ... now compare the 2 mixes, from different consoles in A/B. It is an 'interesting, learning' experiment that may surprise ... AND enlighten.
Old 20th August 2016
Quote:
Yeah, mixing and matching the consoles is great. I'm currently loving a vintage Neve tracking approach then a modern Neve MFC for mixing, but with the SSL Bus Comp and Cupwise Vari-Mu just touching the 2 bus...... yummy. I just picked up the FNX Red and will see how that can blend too.
Experimentation is the key, you can really bend an album's sonics is such a subtle but noticeable way....... gotta love Nebula.
I'm gonna buy that vintage Neve, but then that's it.... Yeah right.
Old 20th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
A point on console use.

While adding a console setup AFTER you've put a mix together ... is one thing. Yep, it is a way to evaluate console flavor, texture, size, depth ...

but it is NOT utilizing the full potential. [i know ... hard to believe at first read ... but stay with].

Beginning your session with a console emulation established FIRST.

Now ... every sonic decision [eq, compression, etc], interact with the console character.

Think about it ... High-end Consoles are not considered a 'sound effects' unit. Rather, they are the sonic landscape that everything is interpreted through.
This can have a profound impact on your sonic choices and decisions.
It is also a cumulative impact.

To truly A/B [rather than a fast compare]. You would begin a new mix in a complete console enviro of choice ... THEN
you do a 2nd, NEW, mix with a different console.

For each test, you start from the raw track. EQ choices would NOT be 'trying to remember what you did in the 'other' mix, you're mixing fresh to the desired sonic goal.

After completing ... now compare the 2 mixes, from different consoles in A/B. It is an 'interesting, learning' experiment that may surprise ... AND enlighten.
Makes sense.

I did want to hear the differences in character of each one though.
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

... and that makes sense too.

to add ... even though Mastering is my main focus, I do get called on to mix [what I did in another lifetime].

Now the game is open ! [and why I own most every Nebula Console library with all support libraries].

Back in the daze [as a tracking/mix engineer], there where often times I had to fly out to sessions to match up with musicians [on tour].
This meant, picking facilities that both offered the studio sound and Control equipment that the Producer wanted.

Although basic tracks went down at one location, overdubs, re-writes, changes, might happen in a different recording environment.

Now ... ITB ... those same options can be realized with NEBULA and the excellent console libraries available. I use the same mindset, approaching a mix today, on an instrument by instrument basis. Drums through a NEVE or maybe an API ... maybe something else. A Rhythm guitar might go SSL ... whatever.

Now, the overall sonics of the song have flavor/character from different palettes. What is key about this, I find I need much less [sometimes nothing more] to enhance a sterile digital track recording. These are sonic of the subtle niceties that make LISTENING to music enjoyable ... colors, textures, flavors, that compliment the intent of the individual parts and to the overall song. A way to impart Your sonic signature.

Of course, tracking through one console and mixing on another was something we often did. Back then, we also had to balance automation considerations along with sonic preferences.

Today ... we can A/B them and never leave the farm
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
How are you liking the Alex B FNX?

It's next on my list, just after Blue Mu and Flucti-Mew.
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear
Make sure you check out Alex B's SP79 German Mastering Console that will be released in a few days.

It's replacing his GMC / GMD, The GMC is a definite Nebula must have. I'm interested in hearing the differences between the two.
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
How are you liking the Alex B FNX?

It's next on my list, just after Blue Mu and Flucti-Mew.
Honestly I've yet to really use it much, just been too busy producing and tracking, but in the next month I've got a lot of mixing to do, so I'll report back after I test it on a bunch of things.
Old 19th September 2016
Lives for gear
New Alex B releases-
SP79 (new version of older GMC)
W95S (German Mastering eQ)
W95B (German Mixing eQ)
U73 (German Mastering Compressor)

AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - Nebula Programs - Audio Upgrade

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search