The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear
I wouldn't call the MWC fat ... to my ears it's smooth. The fatest console from Alex is still the MFC in my view

YVVM as always
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
i didnt know it was a demo on it , isn't it only audio demos ? ,
but it really depends what youre looking for in a console for sound, the MFC is on the clean side while N14 give more color

what style of music you create or mix ?
N14 its called the fat console, but i actually think the fattest sounding one is the MWC , thats the RND 5088
that one was too fat for my style actually hehe, a friend of mine has it
im hearing rumors its gonna get a v2 upgrade but i would not count out v.1 if you want a really fat console

love the amethyst acqua together with the N14, but im also gonna add the ssl
the ssl is not fat sounding but nice and punchy

and the story is back in the day and it still is
many often track on a vintage neve and mix on a ssl and many of my favorite bands do that still today

Metallica only used ssl 4k console on the black album but the eq is a big part of the sound too of course and dont forget lars billion drum mic`s haha
Well the thing is I worked for years in a studio equipped with a Neve 8014, and an SSL duality... So I know the tones very very well. And we did track through the Neve and mix through the SSL, when the budget allowed it. I don't wanna be disapointed...You are right, there is no demo on Alex site. I yet have to find a way to use the MFC properly, I guess. Or it is not for me. Thanks for the help provided.
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
I wouldn't call the MWC fat ... to my ears it's smooth. The fatest console from Alex is still the MFC in my view

YVVM as always
strange how we perceive it so different, i thought MWC sounded huge
of course MFC has that low and top end in the modern preset
but at the same time its to clean sounding for me
i just dont click with MFC

i like the N14 and use only that one of those two ,
MFC is the only big miss of a purchase i have done in nebula hehe,
its good but not for my style
i should have gotten the ssl or api American instead i think
i do rock and acoustic, but mostly rock lately
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
Well the thing is I worked for years in a studio equipped with a Neve 8014, and an SSL duality... So I know the tones very very well. And we did track through the Neve and mix through the SSL, when the budget allowed it. I don't wanna be disapointed...You are right, there is no demo on Alex site. I yet have to find a way to use the MFC properly, I guess. Or it is not for me. Thanks for the help provided.
i cant use the MFC, i really dont like it for my style, it just dont add the color i want, i knew it was going to be clean, but i just dont use it
i went back to my N14 pretty fast after buying MFC
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
i definitely hearing more than more lows and top in those consoles
MFC is not my favorite, it doe-sent suit my style
i love the N14 definitively give a nice polished sound that would be very hard to emulate with eq for me
sometimes i slap on more than one bus preset too if i would like more color

even sometimes slap on master preset clean and bus clean on a vocal if i want it fat sounding, and believe me it can get fat, its really like running it trough transformers, but its crazy how much evident it is when im listening trough a flat system

i have no rules when it comes to this tools, thats the great ting about itb and the crazy good nebula

but lately i have spent much time with the Amethyst and gotten crazy good results running only the console on master
its only a pre mix as im in record mode, but it sounds good on my mono ipad speaker and good in my car`s bad speakers, so i think the end results will be pretty good

what i actually almost newer use is tapes

many would probably go , what are you crazy hehe
but i dont feel the need for it to be honest
i am probably crazy though
I am very impressed by the N14, purchased it on a whim a month ago, but have not explored it until recently on some acoustic material of guitar, washtub bass and junkyard drums.The N14 and A16 are now my favs to use because of what I can get sound wise. Even thought I have MFC & 4KC at my disposal which are my work horses.
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompower9 View Post
I am very impressed by the N14, purchased it on a whim a month ago, but have not explored it until recently on some acoustic material of guitar, washtub bass and junkyard drums.The N14 and A16 are now my favs to use because of what I can get sound wise. Even thought I have MFC & 4KC at my disposal which are my work horses.
i really hit home run for my first console N14 hehe

i will add the ssl 4kc and then a16, more consoles i dont need, its important to stop and make or mix music too hehe

ok have to work on my track now, see you later good folks
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Love the A16, my personal fav..
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
i cant use the MFC, i really dont like it for my style, it just dont add the color i want, i knew it was going to be clean, but i just dont use it
i went back to my N14 pretty fast after buying MFC

I know what you mean, at first when I tried MFC it just didn't vibe with it in spite of the VR-88 being favorite console to track on. So, experimentation is in order since "there are no rules" heh heh. I use the A16 console, equalization and dynamics in sidecar fashion for drums only to get that fat punch and color I desire, then pump them into MFC G-Bus Clean/M-Buss Modern with all the other tracks into MFC, MFeQ and MFD most of the time. I do this primarily on my rock, metal and hip hop sessions to great effect.
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know what you mean, at first when I tried MFC it just didn't vibe with it in spite of the VR-88 being favorite console to track on. So, experimentation is in order since "there are no rules" heh heh. I use the A16 console, equalization and dynamics in sidecar fashion for drums only to get that fat punch and color I desire, then pump them into MFC G-Bus Clean/M-Buss Modern with all the other tracks into MFC, MFeQ and MFD most of the time. I do this primarily on my rock, metal and hip hop sessions to great effect.
that was interesting
very cool stuff, i have the MfeQ too very nice sounding eq

i think you just inspired me to give MFC another try thanks
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

I dont remember we ever removed threads! Are you sure it is not in ultramarine section?

About your nebula issues I don't have a clue! Open a ticket and stress them till they don't solve it! But beware: acqua plugins are seriously optimized, it is normal nebula uses way more resources. If nebula pro performs better than server just change the fft algorithm from 25 to 11 (for the exception of zl version): a beta had this exact issue. If you don't know how to do it (or what it means) just ask to support (it is the ofreqd optimization in mast page, you should modify it, save and reload). Or post in our forum, there are faster answers than here (we have more guests connected to our board than here, there are constantly 20-40 connected users, with peaks of 100-150). Nebula threads here have way less users connected. We are trying to avoid to provide support on gs, the forum would be cluttered easily.
About instructions, we are keeping repeating instructions in email replies and user manuals. The website is not good and we are upgrading it. We know that. An authorization app is on the way and it will be a serious revolution.

About testimonials and pro: agreed! We are sorting it! If you are a "pro" and you want to help just contact us!
About dealers and local worshippers: we are DOING it now! We are trying to cover all countries! If you are a dealer just contact us! We are doing it, it requires a bit of time but we are sorting it!
About language barriers, there will be more people helping soon.

Last edited by zaphod; 30th March 2016 at 10:01 PM..
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I dont remember we ever removed threads! Are you sure it is not in ultramarine section?

About your nebula issues I don't have a clue! Open a ticket and stress them till they don't solve it! But beware: acqua plugins are seriously optimized, it is normal nebula uses way more resources. If nebula pro performs better than server just change the fft algorithm from 25 to 11 (for the exception of zl version): a beta had this exact issue. If you don't know how to do it (or what it means) just ask to support (it is the ofreqd optimization in mast page, you should modify it, save and reload). Or post in our forum, there are faster answers than here (we have more guests connected to our board than here, there are constantly 20-40 connected users, with peaks of 100-150). Nebula threads here have way less users connected. We are trying to avoid to provide support on gs, the forum would be cluttered easily.
About instructions, we are keeping repeating instructions in email replies and user manuals. The website is not good and we are upgrading it. We know that. An authorization app is on the way and it will be a serious revolution.

About testimonials and pro: agreed! We are sorting it! If you are a "pro" and you want to help just contact us!
About dealers and local worshippers: we are DOING it now! We are trying to cover all countries! If you are a dealer just contact us! We are doing it, it requires a bit of time but we are sorting it!
About language barriers, there will be more people helping soon.
thanks Giancarlo

i really dot have time to play games with support right now cause thats what it feels when they dont answer my questions and start to explain something totally different

but thanks for the heads up for going at them and push them til they give in hehe
im sure gonna do that when im done with this project

there where something really strange about the behavior with the server ultimate edition on my windows boot camp

when i changed the buffer in regular version the zl got the same settings, it was like they was linked to same master page, the regular and zl ,
i cant remember that happed in os x with the server ultimate,
so nebula pro 3 is preforming better right now and it feels safe,
and since im finishing a song for a client i don't dare changing anything before its mixed and delivered

very good to hear Acustica is gonna improve in support too cause i have
seen very much improvement everywhere else with Acustica latest 6-7 Months

im definitely looking forward to the auth app

and improved support

and pink, black.ivory comp. ruby hehe

Cheers
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
I did not hit it hard enough ? That could very well be. About Nebulaman, I don't see the difference with this and freezing inside my DAW. Am I missing something ?
Well, you need your RMS to hit it like you would the original - in this case around -18dBFS - imagine that as the 0 on your VU (as AlexB calibrates 0 on the VU to -18dBFS)... so sometimes a bit over, sometimes under, but generally there..
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpd View Post
Well, you need your RMS to hit it like you would the original - in this case around -18dBFS - imagine that as the 0 on your VU (as AlexB calibrates 0 on the VU to -18dBFS)... so sometimes a bit over, sometimes under, but generally there..
Yeah, I always do that. Thanks.
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
i just went to windows boot camp reaper and the aquas i can actually run twice as many in mixing mode compared to os x reaper and they give me no problems even in ZL
twice the performance with the acquas is pretty amazing on same exact computer
I see you've beaten me to that test we were talking about!

As I suspected, performance under Windows greatly exceeds that under OSX. And on OSX, VST outperforms AAX.

I really haven't been persuaded to part with money for any of the Acqua range, as all the OSX/AAX trial versions perform so badly and cost so much!

The best I can do in ProTools 12 on Mac at the moment is to make VST64 setups and use them inside Nyrv agent. Avoids the horrible CPU spikes that typify Acqua AAXs and is a lot more reliable regarding ALT-copy and ALT+SHIFT-instantiate. Sessions don't hang on loading either (most of the time)

Hopefully, Nebula/Acqua AAX Mac will get some love sometime, but I'm not holding my breath. According to Enrique, the issues are solved, but when pressed to release the update, he fell silent
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
I see you've beaten me to that test we were talking about!

As I suspected, performance under Windows greatly exceeds that under OSX. And on OSX, VST outperforms AAX.

I really haven't been persuaded to part with money for any of the Acqua range, as all the OSX/AAX trial versions perform so badly and cost so much!

The best I can do in ProTools 12 on Mac at the moment is to make VST64 setups and use them inside Nyrv agent. Avoids the horrible CPU spikes that typify Acqua AAXs and is a lot more reliable regarding ALT-copy and ALT+SHIFT-instantiate. Sessions don't hang on loading either (most of the time)

Hopefully, Nebula/Acqua AAX Mac will get some love sometime, but I'm not holding my breath. According to Enrique, the issues are solved, but when pressed to release the update, he fell silent
i also think apple is to blame cause they are holding back information
im not sure thats a vice decision cause when the day acustica tools explode and everyone wants them( it will happen) and find out Windows is superior people will be gunning for windows computers not macs

i cant think of mac as a pro computer anymore for music after i found out this shocking difference in performance

my mac mini 17 quad is gonna make a hell of a media center though when i upgrade to 5820k win computer for music computer in June

yep completely shocked how good windows is with acustica compared to os x

in your situation why not try boot camp with pro tools and nyrv just like you do now ? but with the superior windows
im pretty sure that would give you a lot of more juice for acquas and Nebula

my favorite Acqua is the one i spent less money on , the Amethyst and its getting core8 implementation in a couple of days
Old 2nd April 2016
Jus
Lives for gear

Just for fun, I will list my ”top ten, or fifteen, or twenty”… won’t list any Aquas (there is another thread for that), nor Henry’s libraries, as they are great and everybody can get them for free… FREE! - Nebulapresets . (I tend to use some of the Mojos, Air, and Preamps the most.)

My favorite consoles for different needs:
AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - MFC Modern Flagship Console - Nebula Programs (the ”modern” preset for master bus as my go to)
AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - N14 Vintage Neev 14 Console - Nebula Programs
AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - A16 American 16 Console - Nebula Programs

EQs:
AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - MMeQ Massive Mix eQ - Nebula Programs
http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/..._neev_73eq.htm
Vintage Gyrator eq - Tim Petherick
Silk EQ 259b - Tim Petherick
CDSoundMaster Audio Software

Dynamics:
C660 Compressor Cupwise FX (I love this!)
Flucti-Mew Mastering Compressor/Limiter Cupwise FX
Blue mu Comp/Limit - Tim Petherick
Sum 100a leveler V2 - Tim Petherick
And several of AlexB’s newer ones (e.g. http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/...5_dynamics.htm) seem great, but I have not had much practical experience with those yet.

Reverbs:
Plates of Legend vol. I Cupwise FX
AITB - E.A.R. - Halls
CDSoundMaster Audio Software (the ”Real Spaces” collection in this)
(There also some other great ones, like the one by Gene Lennon, but the first two of these have a ”preview” or such option, which is not too heavy to use while mixing, and CDSM reverb is not that heavy to begin with.)

Tapes:
T Tape - Tim Petherick
CDSoundMaster Audio Software
AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - DTE - Nebula Programs

Last edited by Jus; 3rd April 2016 at 12:05 AM..
Old 9th April 2016
Gear Maniac

I've switched computers recently and tried to get AlexB's MFC working. The programs won't load. Alex mentioned that I need to re-authorize the library but he failed to mention or answer, how am I to do that.

I have only back'd up the programs and vectors plus the ser and aut file so I don't have any read me's and couldn't find a faq from Alex's site.

Any ideas?
Old 9th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
I've switched computers recently and tried to get AlexB's MFC working. The programs won't load. Alex mentioned that I need to re-authorize the library but he failed to mention or answer, how am I to do that.

I have only back'd up the programs and vectors plus the ser and aut file so I don't have any read me's and couldn't find a faq from Alex's site.

Any ideas?

Here is what to do:
Delete the mfc.ser and mfc.aut files
Open your daw, open nebula, load mfc

you will get "INIT" which is okay

now a new mfc.ser file has been created.

Send this file by email to Alex and he'll send you back the mfc.aut file.

Now put that mfc.aut file next to the mfc.ser file and it will work.
Old 9th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
Here is what to do:
Delete the mfc.ser and mfc.aut files
Open your daw, open nebula, load mfc

you will get "INIT" which is okay

now a new mfc.ser file has been created.

Send this file by email to Alex and he'll send you back the mfc.aut file.

Now put that mfc.aut file next to the mfc.ser file and it will work.
Cheers, that's what I thought .
Old 9th April 2016
Gear Maniac

I've been enjoying TimP's DualTech very much but I'm now looking for something for tighter low end boosts. Tim's Gyrator EQ seems to get much love in this department. Anything else out there that I should consider?
Old 9th April 2016
So interesting to read about all the different tastes in AlexB consoles. MFC is my go to for our pop/rock sound using the modern on the Master. Haven't had a chance to try the Neve yet because we always had bass build-up with Waves NLS or VCC.

Our new favorite is to track vocals with Henry's preamps usually a Focusrite or Neve, not listening to track through direct monitoring and it always sounds good on playback. Add MFC mic preamp to the track, maybe a little Slate VMR with some light compression and a tiny bit of white exciter. Good to go with male and female vocalist.
Old 10th April 2016
Hey Nebulites,

Are there any killer de-esser libraries out there?? DBX 902, Weiss DS1, Empirical Labs DerrEsser? Would be awesome to achieve a hardware de-esser quality ITB.

Best,
MG
Old 10th April 2016
Lives for gear

The latest Tim Petherick libs are awesome! Girator and u76 all the way on this new mix I did.

also the Alexb MFC so good..
Old 10th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Hey Nebulites,

Are there any killer de-esser libraries out there?? DBX 902, Weiss DS1, Empirical Labs DerrEsser? Would be awesome to achieve a hardware de-esser quality ITB.

Best,
MG
Sorry for the derail, but if you're running on OSX and AU, I highly recommend checking out Airwindws's DeEss3. No fancy hardware modelling or anything like that but the quality is simply superb.
Old 12th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
Sorry for the derail, but if you're running on OSX and AU, I highly recommend checking out Airwindws's DeEss3. No fancy hardware modelling or anything like that but the quality is simply superb.
Thanks, Soundslikefog. I have checked this out (and I use a bunch of AirWindows stuff, but this one didn't float my boat particularly.

I am curious to find a library of the DBX or the like mainly because I am curious how the hardware functions, as I've never had the chance to track with one.

Cheers,
MG
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMaus View Post
This is the reason why I've given up purchasing anything Acqua. G stated that this stuff is for "professionals", and for me that implies anybody having trouble with the Acqua stuff is a non-professional.
So this software clearly is not designed for people like me and I don't care any more what G has to say about his software. Perhaps childish but I don't like his attitude towards his customers. My decision, i know...
I stick to the third-party developers for Nebula. People like AlexB, cdsoundmaster, TimP, Cupwise and Henry Olonga. They are exceptionally helpful, very fast when it comes to answering any questions that might arise. It is pure fun to work with their presets and I actually enjoy supporting such nice and cheerful folks like them who, additionally, provide such high quality stuff.
I'm glad there are still people like them around, with so much enthusiasm and modesty.
By him saying acqua is for pros confirms my nebula 3 experience.... That it was a beta proving ground for tinkerers, diy, amateurs, etc... It is not a fully coceptialized product and if not for the alexb's of the world it'd be basically an expensive ITB version of health kit.

It seems like the aa folks came up with an interesting concept in nebula, but really didn't have any follow through... After their engine was made useful by 3rd party devs, they started churning out these overpriced aqua, pink, etc units.

The nebula experience was so off putting to me that I would never give AA another dime.

Nebula is only as good as its users and 3rd party devs...
Old 22nd April 2016
Gear Head

Prompt somebody ... I AlexB in console versions of libraries have a Line IN and Line IN st. Which of them should be placed on a stereo signal, so it was a real mixer? In the instructions it says that operates Line IN on the stereo signal as dual mono (obtained as a real mixer channel two?). And what is then the Line IN st. and how he got it?
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacan View Post
Prompt somebody ... I AlexB in console versions of libraries have a Line IN and Line IN st. Which of them should be placed on a stereo signal, so it was a real mixer? In the instructions it says that operates Line IN on the stereo signal as dual mono (obtained as a real mixer channel two?). And what is then the Line IN st. and how he got it?
Run Nebula's exactly like you would an analogue signal chain.
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Hey Nebulites,

Best,
MG
+1
Old 17th May 2016

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search