The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 21st January 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
Meaning Aquamarine wasn't close to the hardware? I have no doubt it isn't there, the compression action doesn't seem right... especially the opto. But I found at the time it came out... with very minimal gain reduction, that it could sound very nice on the 2-bus. Much more pleasing than the algo stuff I had (which maybe UAD Vari-Mu and TDR Kotelnikov were my favs).

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

There are definitely some Acqua plugins that I wouldn't purchase again... but at the time (without Nebula) they were the best sounding options. So very glad to have gone Nebula!
If you listen to the comparison some mastering engineers recently posted, I think the UAD sounds much better. And it's not just the compression. Even in the transformer-only files, the UAD is much more like the hardware.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
If you listen to the comparison some mastering engineers recently posted, I think the UAD sounds much better. And it's not just the compression. Even in the transformer-only files, the UAD is much more like the hardware.
Interesting!

Did they compare SKnotes' as well? Curious if they used Acquamarine or Murano as they do sound different...

I'd love to hear it, have a link?

I haven't tried it (Brainworx) in a long time and never actually compared the two. I demo'd it long ago before I ever got into mastering (which is just a side-project, slow learning, for the love of all things recording type of thing at this point) but never remembered it feeling very special.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it again next time I'm working on a master.
b
Old 21st January 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Interesting!

Did they compare SKnotes' as well? Curious if they used Acquamarine or Murano as they do sound different...

I'd love to hear it, have a link?

I haven't tried it (Brainworx) in a long time and never actually compared the two. I demo'd it long ago before I ever got into mastering (which is just a side-project, slow learning, for the love of all things recording type of thing at this point) but never remembered it feeling very special.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it again next time I'm working on a master.
b
Acustica Aquamarine Mastering Compressor (Acqua Plugin)

Yes Sknote too, which actually came out a bit better than Acustica to me.
Old 21st January 2016
Lives for gear

Im really locking forward to Tim P Sta Level
He is the king of compressors in nebula right so i expext it to be a good one

Im very impressed by he's classic blue 1102 eq
it has that Neve sound but it is indeed the smoothest sounding one of the classic Neve's

Now i want the MFq from Alex B hehe, i got to have all the neve's
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

Hey fellas.

Just stumbled upon this plugin after getting ***** off at having to use an iLok :¬)

47 pages is too much to read, so please excuse my 2-part question:

1) People were saying how Nebula destroys other (surgical) EQs by sounding analogue and deep. Is that in general or does a specific pack/preset do that?

2) What are your go to included presets/packs?

3) What are the "holy **** must buy" packs/presets? So far I've noticed Henry O, TimP and AlexB.

Has anyone compared Nebula to Magneta or Navy plugins? They caught my eye…

Any pointers would be hugely appreciated as there is too much in this 47 page thread for my brain to absorb!

P.S. I produce hip hop (old school style). Male vocals (compressed/distorted).

P.P.S. If it helps, I used to default to the Slate VMR FG-N and Revival to give things a kick and some air/shimmer, but recently replaced that with DMG Limitless.
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

@b0se

Hope my answers will help you to find the right tools for your work.

Quote:
1) People were saying how Nebula destroys other (surgical) EQs by sounding analogue and deep. Is that in general or does a specific pack/preset do that?
All of 3rd party Nebula EQ has that analogue sound

Quote:
2) What are your go to included presets/packs?
Tim Petherick:
EQ - Gyrator. His recent 1102 Blue EQ has fantastic reviews.
Compressors - Sum100a & U76. Opto3a said to be great for vocals.

AlexB:
Consoles - MFC & A16. MFC has an open sound. A16 is more upfront and punchy and its great for Hiphop and EDM genre.
Compressors - 4KD GC, his new SSL G Comp sounds great even with the demo preset. The full version will give you more control.

HO - All you can eat bundle. Great all rounder.

Quote:
3) What are the "holy **** must buy" packs/presets? So far I've noticed Henry O, TimP and AlexB.
As per above answers

Quote:
Has anyone compared Nebula to Magneta or Navy plugins? They caught my eye…
I have Magenta3 and AlexB MMeQ sounds much better than Magenta3 but Magenta3 has a better work flow. As for Navy, nothing come close to it yet and sound fantastic with Drums, bass etc.
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Hope my answers will help you to find the right tools for your work.
Thats incredibly helpful, thanks David!

I read (here, I think), that Titanium is great for drums too. Ever tried that? :¬)

The decision I have to make now is: do I have the patience to wait for Nebula4?

(Probably not.)
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Thats incredibly helpful, thanks David!

I read (here, I think), that Titanium is great for drums too. Ever tried that? :¬)

The decision I have to make now is: do I have the patience to wait for Nebula4?

(Probably not.)
Ya i read that Titanium is great on drums as well but i did not buy it. I went with Navy instead.

The current Neb Server Ultimate works really well and you don't have to wait till Neb 4 (tentatively to be release in April)
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Ya i read that Titanium is great on drums as well but i did not buy it. I went with Navy instead.

The current Neb Server Ultimate works really well and you don't have to wait till Neb 4 (tentatively to be release in April)
Is that because NSU uses core8 already?

Edit: No, I see it's core7. All very confusing to the newcomer :¬)
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Is that because NSU uses core8 already?
It's only core 7 now. Not sure there will be an upgrade to core 8. As far as i know, owners of NSU will have an upgrade path to Neb4 for a fee
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear
I'm still on Neb3pro should I switch to NSU for better performance on my pc.
Or is the server version only good when using several pcs?
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
I'm still on Neb3pro should I switch to NSU for better performance on my pc.
Or is the server version only good when using several pcs?
The server works fine in standalone
I would upgrade mostly because of zero latency at this point
If you dont need zero latency, wait for nebula 4 and save some money
Estimated release on nebula 4 is in April
it will be core8 at release
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

There will not be a upgrade plan from nebula 3 to nebula 4 just so you know
Only a discount for those who already own nebula 3
When Acustica are talkin discounts we are locking at 10-20% off
So prepare to save up some money before it hits guys
Nebula 4 will be considerd a new product
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear
good to know, thanks!

I'm just building a new PC than can load more instances of Nebula.
i7 5820 with 32 GB Ram

Is there anywhere a comparison of how many instances one can load with different processors?
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
good to know, thanks!

I'm just building a new PC than can load more instances of Nebula.
i7 5820 with 32 GB Ram

Is there anywhere a comparison of how many instances one can load with different processors?
this CPU will rock with nebula and aquas

i asked about this regarding the Navy in the Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion thread
aquas is running on the Nebula 4 engine

my computer is an mac late 2012 I7 Quad 2,2 ghz

i can run one instance of Navy with everything engaged in zero latency mode at 128 buffer, 4 at a 256 buffer size with no room for other plugins, completely maxed out hehe
while BasariStudios can run 30 in ZL at 256 buffer size with all buttons and whistles engaged and only hit 25% CPU with the exact same CPU you are gonna get

core7(even core6) is so much more optimized for the 5ft gen and later I7`s

so an i7 5820k is indeed a great buy
im gonna upgrade too, im going for either i7 5820k or the Skylake i7 6700k

the biggest reason im considering the Skylake is that the motherboards are cheaper so i can afford the upgrade sooner
i dont expect the skylake to be better than the i7 5820k, im expecting i7 5820k to take the win if it was a contest between them
but i think it will be close enough for me since skylake is running at higher clock speeds

the skylake can also easily be overclocked too 4,8ghz with a good CPU cooler

Here`s a video of BasariStudios running the Navy(nebula4) on i7 5820k for proof hehe :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q420UhdNHxA
Old 30th January 2016
Gear Guru

I got TimP's Blue-Mu comp today and have to say I love it so much I have been smiling all day! This thing does not get the press it deserves!!

If you do modern dance music or electronica, this thing has a completely delicious, pillowy bounce and smooth, silky tone. Completely awesome. And with NebSetups running it with its own GUI you get working meters and dials, so it feels like using a real compressor.

One thought, if you're reading this TimP, if you ever do a V2 of this one, could you add a dry dial like on the other V2's, pretty please!! That would make it that one last step of awesome.

Happy compression day is today.
Old 30th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I got TimP's Blue-Mu comp today and have to say I love it so much I have been smiling all day! This thing does not get the press it deserves!!

If you do modern dance music or electronica, this thing has a completely delicious, pillowy bounce and smooth, silky tone. Completely awesome. And with NebSetups running it with its own GUI you get working meters and dials, so it feels like using a real compressor.

One thought, if you're reading this TimP, if you ever do a V2 of this one, could you add a dry dial like on the other V2's, pretty please!! That would make it that one last step of awesome.

Happy compression day is today.
Are you using it on the 2-bus? I've been liking this one more and more as well! Love having this, Sum 100a, Opto and U76... a very nice, diverse collection of great tones! Wondering if TimP will do V2 on TNT Dynamics and Complex?
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are you using it on the 2-bus? I've been liking this one more and more as well! Love having this, Sum 100a, Opto and U76... a very nice, diverse collection of great tones! Wondering if TimP will do V2 on TNT Dynamics and Complex?
Haven't tried on 2bus yet, just drum groups and different separates ...first day. But the way this thing creates a punchy, but not pointy and instead BIG bump is superb. Like being hit with a big, firm but friendly foam plank.

Often you get punchy comps becoming either pointy or pinchy the more punch you squeeze out, but this thing does a healthy, pillowy broad wallop that lands with authority. Helped by the sidechain hipass of course. The only thing I'd want to see in a V2 is a dry dial for parallel.
Old 1st February 2016
Gear Maniac

If I own the original Nebula Server, do I automaticly get the updated, Core7 Ultimate Version?

Couldn't find it from my user profile's Dashboard. Is it just a new update to run or does it run as a separate plugin instance?
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
If I own the original Nebula Server, do I automaticly get the updated, Core7 Ultimate Version?

Couldn't find it from my user profile's Dashboard. Is it just a new update to run or does it run as a separate plugin instance?
you should get the upgrade from server to ultimate for free yes

if you're on a mac you have to ask for the juice version(Ultimate core7) by support as its not officially released yet, still its very stable, have no problem with it at all
its just as stable as regular server in logic
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear

I'm thinking of getting one of Alex B API eq's 550a or 550b
I can only afford only one today, im getting both eventually
So if you could only have one at a time what would you choose first of them ?

I'm working on a rock song right now, so thats what i want to use it for

Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post

Thanks
The 550b= More bands, more control. You could us H.O.'s 550a Mojo's to supplement until you get your hands n the Alex B. 550b
I use this in conjunction Gemini's G2500 to sculpt my drums.
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear
Or you could go with the black master eq which is very versatile and is also great for mastering
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
Have you tried the demos yet? The 550a is warmer, which can be nice. But I often find myself reaching for the 550b more often. 5500 is also nice, but has more air and detail... Less weight. I find it very different from the others in use.
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies guys
Im going for the 550B for starters
I love the Neve stuff,
but API is also a legend for a reason
I got to have all the legend stuff hehe

Thank's again

Cheers
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

So what other Nebula eq's do you consider as must haves for mixing tracks besides Neve and API ?
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

When needed, my API go to is AlexB's 5500 in mastering. I also have the 500, 500B.

Lately, the MMeQ is still getting a lot of calls. That's a main reason I had to build a NVC controller for it.
Same with the 5500. I want ALL bands available, with absolute, full control, from a single User GUI.

Another excellent EQ package is CDS 'Mastering Suite'. It is very different in library design, and maybe limited in available native SR's,
but it is very effective.
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what other Nebula eq's do you consider as must haves for mixing tracks besides Neve and API ?
Since you are Alex B-ing right now......
SSL Black & Brown
MFeQ

Both are cleaner more surgical EQ's for mixing purposes while the API and Neve EQ's are more broad based with tone.
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah, with AlexB I also like MFQ (cleanish, flexible but a little more character than SSL to my ears) and I think VMeQ is pretty unique sounding. Can grab texture in the mids in a cool way... say try boosting 1K-ish on a classic guitar w/phaser (use TimP's modulation collection) and you'll get a really thick texture that is different from API and Neve. It also softens the highs a smidge, which can be just right for certain things. Try the demo! And if you don't already have Orange, the Orban EQ is also unique, especially in wide band (10).

I can't wait to try his V2 Pultec, which is said to be coming in coming months...
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Oww ... been some time since I ran the SSL's ... but wanted to join Will in saying the MFeQ is another beautiful EQ.

Rupert says that the 88 series is the culmination of all his knowledge and experience .... the pinnacle.

His earlier efforts were not to shabby.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search