The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

i was actually thinking of buying the Sum100a v.1
a couple of days before it got upgraded hehe

i regret i didn't do it,
but if it proves to be just as useful and as good sounding as the Cupwice Flucti was for me
the full price will absolutely worth it

And Tim deserve the extra money for his work

it's 25% off until Sunday also

does anyone know how much cpu Sum100a v.2 uses compared to the flucti ?

that's a very important point for me right now since my computer is already crumbling under the pressure from nebula and aquas hehe

New computer for me next year though so Sum100a v.2 will be bought sooner or later

Cheers
Old 12th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
ooh, that looks awesome!

I wonder, since it is called Sum100a V2, is there and upgrade path for less than the full 25 quid for owners of Sum100a V1?? Tim?
Just log in to your account at TimP's website and you'll find it ready to download.
Free!
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I don't know if Tim did audio/video demos but I'll see if I can get you some. Cupwise comps are indeed very good but in this case I'm taking about my experience with the hardware which I used for many years and know it very well. Unfortunately, I don't own one and I couldn't do any direct comparison while testing but since it's one of my favorite compressors I can tell you that it's incredibly close, both in behavior and tone/character.

Don't purchase it yet, let me get you some audio demos first and you can decide for yourself
Quote:
Thank you so much Mercado for your input and the audio demo. They sound really really good. I may get it . Just need to sort out some purchase priorities at hand.

Thanks mate and Cheers
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

thank you Mercado_Negro for the audio clips

im convinced

Sum100a v.2 is sounding fabulous, got nothing more to say

this one is sure gonna be hard to resist

i might get it now no matter what cpu usage hehe

Nebula compressors are getting incredible these days

Cheers
Old 12th December 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMaus View Post
Just log in to your account at TimP's website and you'll find it ready to download.
Free!
Boom!
Old 12th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
this one is sure gonna be hard to resist
Did anyone claim you have to? Just get it and enjoy your new stuff! It's really worth it.
I've just tried it on an acoustic guitar. Couldn't believe what I was hearing. Same applies for vocals. It's really good! The past days I have been fumbling around with different compressors and I thought "well, not bad, this acc guitar". I wasn't entirely convinced, though. It was ok, but not more.
Sum100a enters the stage...
Wow! I mean - WOW!
It's not only the sound. It's the soundstage. It virtually opens up the room. Many people overstress the expression "3D". But that's exactly what's going on there.
Fantastic work, Tim. Thanks very much!
Old 12th December 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Did anyone claim you have to? Just get it and enjoy your new stuff! It's really worth it.
I've just tried it on an acoustic guitar. Couldn't believe what I was hearing. Same applies for vocals. It's really good! The past days I have been fumbling around with different compressors and I thought "well, not bad, this acc guitar". I wasn't entirely convinced, though. It was ok, but not more.
Wow! I mean - WOW!
It's not only the sound. It's the soundstage. It virtually opens up the room. Many people overstress the expression "3D". But that's exactly what's going on there.
This is exactly what I want it for. Looking forward to it. Happy days.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow! I mean - WOW!
i always try to resist buying
well especially after going completely nuts at black friday hehe

but after what you just wrote about Sum100a and since vocals and acoustic guitars are my main thing
must buy must buy.....

Cheers
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

just bought Sum100a :D
Old 12th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Now I'm really curious what you both accomplish with the 100a!
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

I told you, it's good

I think my Softube's Summit Audio will sit in the bench from now on (and that comp was in ALL my mixes since it was released because it's actually VERY close to the real thing... It just lacks some "balls". Sum100a v2 has everything).

The Opto3a was probably the most accurate compressor in Nebula until now. I haven't heard the latest comp from Cupwise but I'm sure it's also very good but what Tim is doing here is top of the game innovation and really clever programming. If you have a TLA-100 or can find one please do the comparison yourself. It's spot on.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

the 100a is impressive
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I told you, it's good

I think my Softube's Summit Audio will sit in the bench from now on (and that comp was in ALL my mixes since it was released because it's actually VERY close to the real thing... It just lacks some "balls". Sum100a v2 has everything).

The Opto3a was probably the most accurate compressor in Nebula until now. I haven't heard the latest comp from Cupwise but I'm sure it's also very good but what Tim is doing here is top of the game innovation and really clever programming. If you have a TLA-100 or can find one please do the comparison yourself. It's spot on.
Bought. My Dec purchase budget just opened up.

It does sound good but somehow it has a slight blurriness in the tone when i just have it on drums. Only until i bring up the Dry signal, the clarity comes back.
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Bought. My Dec purchase budget just opened up.

It does sound good but somehow it has a slight blurriness in the tone when i just have it on drums. Only until i bring up the Dry signal, the clarity comes back.
Are you sure it's not some "hidden" details in your drums that it brings up front? It tends to bring up details that otherwise would remain hidden. I've seen that a lot with some compressors like MJUC, for example. They reveal things that are very low. In fact, in that drumloop I processed you can hear that, it brought up all the mic leak and I did gate those drums when I did that mix a couple of months ago. Interesting stuff.
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you sure it's not some "hidden" details in your drums that it brings up front? It tends to bring up details that otherwise would remain hidden. I've seen that a lot with some compressors like MJUC, for example. They reveal things that are very low. In fact, in that drumloop I processed you can hear that, it brought up all the mic leak and I did gate those drums when I did that mix a couple of months ago. Interesting stuff.
Yup it did.

I found out that it reduces the top end a bit and round everything up nicely hence i find it has slight "blurriness". Nothing major. Plus it does push forward the mids also.
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

That's how analog works, removes all that crappy highs and massages the rest of the frequencies.

That's why I still use a console and reamp my vsti's.
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Yup it did.

I found out that it reduces the top end a bit and round everything up nicely hence i find it has slight "blurriness". Nothing major. Plus it does push forward the mids also.
Yes, it's dark. It has a prominent roll off in highs, like the hardware. I've heard the TLA-50 is brighter and sounds "more modern".
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

Sum100a

im in love with this compressor , we clicked big time

It's adding warmth ! another word for dark guys hehe and it's very versitale for my taste
but it doesent sound dull at all to me, it sound right in the right application, and there are quite few places it shines already only spending a day with it

For me its the perfect companion to go along with the
Flucti Mew who is almost a counterpart in tone with that nice top sheen to it that oozes of finished quality, and makes it such a great comp for the master
But if you use that finished top everywhere depending on the source of course
in my findings it can start to build up and can get just a tad too bright for my taste
Very beautiful too bright tough but this is where the sum 100a come in

Altough Flucti Mew is an absolute killer and sounds nice pretty everywhere,
its very good to have the 100a with the insane amount of compression you can do for a nebula compressor that's a little more neutral sounding but still is very good sounding
, i really squeezed some tracks with it yesterday and i almost never dont like that with no compressor
except with the sum 100a yesterday haha i liked that squeeze it could do without feeling the audio was too squashed so i kept it and liked it, so it's a special compressor in my heart already
I love it, on vocals , piano, cellos, bass, and i know this dark beauty is going to sound killer with my own voice and my Martin D-18 :D
I'm pretty shure im gonna love it on drums too

Tim P is gonna add a hi-pass filter too on sum 100a he said so that's super nice and will make it even more versitale

I think the top neb must have compressors right now is Flucti Mew And Sum 100a
Seriously get both !

Cheers
Old 13th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Thought I'd just post here as you were talking about this comp

I added some High pass filter presets to the release... I can do more if people want them. It opens up very nicely, I measured a few side chains and decided with this fixed frequency first. It's called HP1 at the end of the preset names...

I put a link on the acustica forum thread Or you can get them from your accounts area.
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
Thought I'd just post here as you were talking about this comp

I added some High pass filter presets to the release... I can do more if people want them. It opens up very nicely, I measured a few side chains and decided with this fixed frequency first. It's called HP1 at the end of the preset names...

I put a link on the acustica forum thread Or you can get them from your accounts area.
Thank you so much Tim

i very much want them

this will make an incredible compressor even better

congrats with such a stellar release , really really nice work :

Have a nice day
Old 26th December 2015
Lives for gear

so what do you think of the Alex B G.Comp ?
didn't it just got upgraded a few weeks ago
Old 26th December 2015
Lives for gear

Now im a silver customer at Alex B
the plus is 20% off
the minus is that i have to wait much longer before i can actually purchase hehe

would have been nice to have an account like the one of Tim P and Cupwice
on the Alex B site too i must admit
Old 26th December 2015
Lives for gear

Any of you guys have any experience with gemini audio microphone bundle ?
Are they a nice adition to Henry Olonga's mic's ?

Thanks
Old 29th December 2015
Lives for gear

Hi guys, I've been totally out of the game this year and I'm slowly getting back into it. Last time I used Nebula it was extremely CPU intensive and couldn't load more than 2-3 instances. How have things changed since 2014? I asked the same question on AA board but I'm curious to read what you guys have to say.
Old 30th December 2015
Lives for gear

Tried the AlexB Neev 64 demo, and i must say it really does do something – tried it with breaks, and it does add some thump.
Old 30th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
Hi guys, I've been totally out of the game this year and I'm slowly getting back into it. Last time I used Nebula it was extremely CPU intensive and couldn't load more than 2-3 instances. How have things changed since 2014? I asked the same question on AA board but I'm curious to read what you guys have to say.
Well.....
The new Nebula 3 Server/Ultimate is now Core 7 which features the latest engine, which has better CPU optimization, AAX support and a new high CPU usage but zero latency mode, for tracking. Nebula 4 will be arriving in a few months and will allow us to run multi instances of different programs.

Tim P's work has been fantastic, all his new compressors are great, his LA3A is currently my favorite in the box compressor.

Alex B has been releasing v2 of most of his consoles. His MFC console is my favorite but many of his newer releases are great.

VNXT has released the EMT 240 that complements the 140 well.

STN has steadily been releasing more verbs in all his packs. His work has always been underrated IMHO.

Henry O has stopped his Nebula work and will be releasing his packs for free sometime over the next few months.

Acustica'a Acqua work has exploded, demo all you can, they are killer but expensive.

All in all Nebula 3 has never run better and our library has never sounded better. The Acqua Nebula 4 tech is slowly revolutionizing the industry.

It's a great time for computer audio.
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Well.....
The new Nebula 3 Server/Ultimate is now Core 7 which features the latest engine, which has better CPU optimization, AAX support and a new high CPU usage but zero latency mode, for tracking. Nebula 4 will be arriving in a few months and will allow us to run multi instances of different programs.

Tim P's work has been fantastic, all his new compressors are great, his LA3A is currently my favorite in the box compressor.

Alex B has been releasing v2 of most of his consoles. His MFC console is my favorite but many of his newer releases are great.

VNXT has released the EMT 240 that complements the 140 well.

STN has steadily been releasing more verbs in all his packs. His work has always been underrated IMHO.

Henry O has stopped his Nebula work and will be releasing his packs for free sometime over the next few months.

Acustica'a Acqua work has exploded, demo all you can, they are killer but expensive.

All in all Nebula 3 has never run better and our library has never sounded better. The Acqua Nebula 4 tech is slowly revolutionizing the industry.

It's a great time for computer audio.
Thanks a lot for this great post. I'm looking forward to get back into it. I LOVED Alex B's MF line. I emailed him for new licenses as I have since gotten a new computer and will need to re-register everything.
Old 6th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
so what do you think of the Alex B G.Comp ?
didn't it just got upgraded a few weeks ago
I have it. Pretty awesome compressor. Right up there with the best of the Nebula compressors that I have tried.
Old 6th January 2016
Gear Addict

Anyone using Nebula that hasn't tried any of Henry Olonga's libraries should grab them. I have bought dozens over the years and they are incredible. He's definitely spoiling us by offering them for free....don't be afraid to donate too. I'm hoping he stays involved with Nebula as he's an amazing developer and sincerely awesome guy.
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear
Hey guys, I'm about to upgrade my old i7 980x, is there any benchmark to see how many instances of nebula reverb one could load with a new 5960 processor?

What is that server version of nebula?

I need a beast of a pc that can load tons of nebula ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search