The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
i`m looking to buy a nebula comp or two

what neb comp do you prefer on the master for rock ?
and what neb comp do you prefer for gluing rock drums ?

thanks for answers in advance

have a nice day good folks

Cheers
I like AlexB ssl4k on masterbuss , you just have to tame huge low freq peak before it to avoid some nasty artefacts (don't put it on a kick drum)

His new chandler is also pretty cool. You can choose library from quite transparent to very colorful.

The fenix can make wonder it's like velvet

Cupwise 609 and 660 can be great too on masterbuss.

I like also Kultcomp of Gemini, very interesting for main buss.
Sometimes their Api2500 too but it's a bit on the dark side i think.

For drums TimP Opto 3a is probably the one that behaves the best IMO
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

So are there any nebula libraries capable of heavy distortion/clipping? Something like a mic pre that can really crunch a signal ala decapitator? Last I checked this was still a limitation of nebula
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Nope, nothing as of yet. I will say that I use Nebula in chains and add a distortion plugin and it's so much better sounding than just the distortion by itself.
Old 11th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
So are there any nebula libraries capable of heavy distortion/clipping? Something like a mic pre that can really crunch a signal ala decapitator? Last I checked this was still a limitation of nebula
At the moment i do not know any algo or whatever plugin which can distortion as analog f.e. big muff fuzz sounds.... and if do it sounds digital and not nice...
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah I'm looking for an overdriven mic pre/console channel sound. All the usual suspects (vcc, nls, etc) are pretty subtle and not really believable when cranked. Alexb console libraries are great but again, subtle and not that aggressive. I've had the most luck with fxpansion maul (using the op-amp model) and native instruments driver. Was curious if any nebula libraries would fit the bill
Old 11th November 2015
Gear Guru

Thanks guys, running Nebula 3 Pro and all the vectors should be in there....I'll double check though, as that is not something I have done! I asked Henry, he suggested a procedure of deleting cache, xml file, etc, but it didn't do anything, nor did the suggested similar move from Acustica.

Could it be as stupid as the vectors not being in there...? lol I hope so and will find out tomorrow.
Old 11th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
Yeah I'm looking for an overdriven mic pre/console channel sound. All the usual suspects (vcc, nls, etc) are pretty subtle and not really believable when cranked. Alexb console libraries are great but again, subtle and not that aggressive. I've had the most luck with fxpansion maul (using the op-amp model) and native instruments driver. Was curious if any nebula libraries would fit the bill
Hmm no... there is no plugin i like.... They all sound ****. Try 500 series and google diy colour... or get an overdrive pedal for guitar and put it in front of your hardware preamp or record through the pedal. It will sound right. F.e. example bass into fuzz into preamp into opto compressor sounds cool.
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Head

Not been any posts in here for a while and there's been an insane amount of new libraries/updates to old libraries.

What does everyone think of the new stuff? What are your go to EQs, Comps + Consoles these days?

I've got a budget of about £100 to spend and would love to hear some opinions on what to go for. I make minimal/Romanian Techno and have got most of the older libraries + Gyrator EQ, MFC, MFD, MFQ.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy663 View Post
Not been any posts in here for a while and there's been an insane amount of new libraries/updates to old libraries.

What does everyone think of the new stuff? What are your go to EQs, Comps + Consoles these days?

I've got a budget of about £100 to spend and would love to hear some opinions on what to go for. I make minimal/Romanian Techno and have got most of the older libraries + Gyrator EQ, MFC, MFD, MFQ.
Consoles, AlexB A16 works great on EDM. The new AlexB 4K console is good as well and am tempted to get it soon.

EQ, Gyrator still using it a lot but am leaning more towards Acqua plugs like Magenta3, Navy and Green3.

Compressors, Cupwise new Flucti-Mew compressor is on my masterbuss for good. AlexB N54 is nice too for individual tracks or group.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Consoles, AlexB A16 works great on EDM. The new AlexB 4K console is good as well and am tempted to get it soon.

EQ, Gyrator still using it a lot but am leaning more towards Acqua plugs like Magenta3, Navy and Green3.

Compressors, Cupwise new Flucti-Mew compressor is on my masterbuss for good. AlexB N54 is nice too for individual tracks or group.
+1 for the Gyrator ,so nice low end, it's truly a special one,
to me its a must buy even though i got some of the absolute best aquas including the limited Pearl

+1 for the Flucti-Mew compressor, a beast on the master for me, but nice on buses and vocals too depending on the source

but for master i'm not removing it ever, so nice glue and polish
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Guru

To me the best thing about the Gyrator is its 2.8kHz. Beautiful edge in the mix. Pops.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
To me the best thing about the Gyrator is its 2.8kHz. Beautiful edge in the mix. Pops.
to be honest the Gyrator is very good in the mids too hehe
a good eq all over the place, but it got such a special low end to me that is worth the price alone, so it's a real keeper for sure
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

i have a question on The PAN Preset in the consoles, the only preset i haven't tried
i haven't thought about it and used it once

it's the only preset that i don't understand , where does this preset shine ?

i'm gonna read the manual again right now

but it would still be cool to know how you guys use it
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

ok so i read about it, think i understand now, is the analogue panner nicer than the pan law daw set up at -3db

in short does it add something to the sound to you ?
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

Just buy ALL of them. I'm almost close too owning them all. Lol.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy663 View Post

Best of the Newer.

Console - MFC
IMHO, the best console I've heard in ITB.

EQ - Any of the Acqua's, it's all about what flavor you prefer.
IMHO, great sounding with full bands and some have filters.

Comp - Tim P Opto 3A
Great sounding compressor, the future is looking up for compressors ITB.

Verbs - STN
He keeps adding more and more Nebula verbs, check regularly. His Space Station verbs don't much press, but they rock.

The new VNXT EMT 240 is also worth looking into.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 12th December 2015 at 02:34 AM..
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post

Best of the Newer.

Console - MFC
IMHO, the best console I've heard in ITB.

EQ - Any of the Acqua's, it's all about what flavor you prefer.
IMHO, great sounding with full bands and some have filters.

Comp - Tim P Opto 3A

Verbs - STN
He keeps adding more and more Nebula verbs, check regularly. His Space Station verbs don't much press, but they rock. The new VNXT EMT 240 is also worth looking into.
I assume that you know this, but the way you typed that last part (about STN) is a bit confusing for some (maybe)....
The VNXT EMT 240 is from VNXT, not STN. VNXT has many really good reverbs too.
But STN also has some very nice verbs...The Deep Sky presets are very very cool.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

What settings is best for nebula reverbs in the mast page for lowest cpu usage without compromise the sound ?, i had a good setup before i updated to server, now i cant remember hehe, obviously dsp buffer size has to be big

If someone could take a snapshot of good settings of they're mast page that would be awesome, as i dont want to mess around with the settings

best settings for the regular version server i also would like to know

I actually feel that the regular server version compared to pro3 is using more cpu than before

Thanks
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
What settings is best for nebula reverbs in the mast page for lowest cpu usage without compromise the sound ?, i had a good setup before i updated to server, now i cant remember hehe, obviously dsp buffer size has to be big

If someone could take a snapshot of good settings of they're mast page that would be awesome, as i dont want to mess around with the settings

best settings for the regular version server i also would like to know

I actually feel that the regular server version compared to pro3 is using more cpu than before

Thanks
Check the OPT TIMED setting. the newest nebula changed the default from 5 to 3, and it seems that this has increased the CPU load in some presets. Change it back to 5.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
Check the OPT TIMED setting. the newest nebula changed the default from 5 to 3, and it seems that this has increased the CPU load in some presets. Change it back to 5.
Thank you so much
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thank you so much
Post back after you do this, I am curious. I actually had some libraries that showed lower CPU usage, but only after the project had MANY. I think that Giancarlo and crew made this change for future use, but most libraries are not set up for the change (that's why the old setting works better for most). Other than that and DSP buffer settings, I only change xml settings for specific tasks (like reverbs, compressors, etc). Most "tweaks" I have left behind and only make changes when a dev suggests one.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Post back after you do this, I am curious. I actually had some libraries that showed lower CPU usage, but only after the project had MANY. I think that Giancarlo and crew made this change for future use, but most libraries are not set up for the change (that's why the old setting works better for most). Other than that and DSP buffer settings, I only change xml settings for specific tasks (like reverbs, compressors, etc). Most "tweaks" I have left behind and only make changes when a dev suggests one.
We really need to make one PDF or word file of the dev suggested tweaks in one file. After a few years and upgrades I forget who suggests what, lol.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Comp - Tim P Opto 3A
There's a new comp from Tim coming soon that will raise the bar in many levels that you won't believe it's Nebula.

[EDIT] Ha! I just received an email from Tim saying he just released it. Go check forums, guys. You won't regret this purchase a second. We worked on it really hard (well, I just did the heavy testing but it was a ton of work).... Sum100a.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

It's weird I don't Touch any settings and don't care for high CPU. I like the sound I commit and keep working.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
There's a new comp from Tim coming soon that will raise the bar in many levels that you won't believe it's Nebula.

[EDIT] Ha! I just received an email from Tim saying he just released it. Go check forums, guys. You won't regret this purchase a second. We worked on it really hard (well, I just did the heavy testing but it was a ton of work).... Sum100a.
Thank you for the infos.

Is there audio/video demo to show how good this Sum100a?

Cupwise comps are top notch. Just need more infos on how much better this comp can be since the bar has been raise in many levels.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for the infos.

Cupwise comps are top notch. Just need more infos on how much better this comp can be since the bar has been raise in many levels.
I don't know if Tim did audio/video demos but I'll see if I can get you some. Cupwise comps are indeed very good but in this case I'm taking about my experience with the hardware which I used for many years and know it very well. Unfortunately, I don't own one and I couldn't do any direct comparison while testing but since it's one of my favorite compressors I can tell you that it's incredibly close, both in behavior and tone/character.

Don't purchase it yet, let me get you some audio demos first and you can decide for yourself
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for the infos.

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eah3gng7l...8PJQLRc9a?dl=0
Old 12th December 2015
Gear Guru

ooh, that looks awesome!

I wonder, since it is called Sum100a V2, is there and upgrade path for less than the full 25 quid for owners of Sum100a V1?? Tim?
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

I think he'll tell ya 'free' upgrade to current owners.
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
it was actually at 5 in opt timed mode so maybe it's the Flucti Mew who is using a little more cpu than i'm used to

but at the same time i feel it is sounding better
can this be true that the server really sounds better with the Flucti Mew and compressors in general ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search