The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nebula must have
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Which console would you recommend for Memphis Soul/Funk vibe ?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans ➡️
Wish I‘d not voted for Brexit now
I have some of EAR but have barely touched it due to CPU - bought 7th Heaven instead. Think I only have the Rooms but can sell if interested.

Edit: Not even sure if sales are possible anyway..
It's fine thanks anyway though. I just grabbed some of Tim Cupwise's stuff seen as he had a discount on
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHstudi00 ➡️
Memphis Soul is about 99% about the song, instruments and performance attitude. Decent mics and some gutsy pres help too. And tape.

Maybe you could try MCI, Harrison or API? They're all out there in Nebland. But if you have all of the stuff above, even a Mackie would do the job!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHstudi00 ➡️
I would go with something lively sounding. R88, Flexmix, Harrison.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i already have some more samples but i can't really make any promises because there was a lot of work involved in getting from having samples to having final programs. i've been working on a new comp for a while and that's been giving me issues, so it could be a while before i'm ready to look at the tape stuff again.

i got a handful of otari decks sampled as either bonuses or favors, along with some other (more desirable) decks, and i was thinking about doing something with those first. partly just because i have enough of them to make a 'package' out of and, well, because i have them. again, it'd probably be a while but i'm trying to get things done.

glad you like 102!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise ➡️
i already have some more samples but i can't really make any promises because there was a lot of work involved in getting from having samples to having final programs. i've been working on a new comp for a while and that's been giving me issues, so it could be a while before i'm ready to look at the tape stuff again.

i got a handful of otari decks sampled as either bonuses or favors, along with some other (more desirable) decks, and i was thinking about doing something with those first. partly just because i have enough of them to make a 'package' out of and, well, because i have them. again, it'd probably be a while but i'm trying to get things done.

glad you like 102!
Yeah you nailed a classic in CupReels AX102! One is aesthetic and two in series is erotic! If I batch process any it will be a lot of that and today's score: YouRei HP/LP Filters

Hey Tim, this aside, what's the steepest analog db/octave filter in practice? I just never trusted digital highpassing and suspect your use of this technology's brute force can carve better. Dynamic HP/LPs, nice!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➡️
Yeah you nailed a classic in CupReels AX102! One is aesthetic and two in series is erotic! If I batch process any it will be a lot of that and today's score: YouRei HP/LP Filters

Hey Tim, this aside, what's the steepest analog db/octave filter in practice? I just never trusted digital highpassing and suspect your use of this technology's brute force can carve better. Dynamic HP/LPs, nice!
Interested in this as well, although there is always plugin doctor...

I grabbed the YouRei filters a couple days ago too. I was spending some time with them yesterday and I have to say that I really like them. Unexpectedly, one of my favourite things about them is that I don't get to see what it's doing, I only get to hear it. For example, it is really nice to work on the bottom end of a guitar track and to be forced to listen to how the fullness, balance and clarity between the guitar and bass/kick/snare changes while just moving a dial. Made some surprising moves that I may not have made if I could have seen what the plugin was doing.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
Interested in this as well, although there is always plugin doctor...

I grabbed the YouRei filters a couple days ago too. I was spending some time with them yesterday and I have to say that I really like them. Unexpectedly, one of my favourite things about them is that I don't get to see what it's doing, I only get to hear it. For example, it is really nice to work on the bottom end of a guitar track and to be forced to listen to how the fullness, balance and clarity between the guitar and bass/kick/snare changes while just moving a dial. Made some surprising moves that I may not have made if I could have seen what the plugin was doing.
Yeah, it's crazy to see yourself LPFing a vocal down to 10 KHz. But if that's what sounds good...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cupreels AX102 update

1) I'm sending out emails for this right now, but it's going to take me a few hours after posting this to get all the emails out. So if you don't have this email after seeing this post, be patient, wait a couple/few hours, and if you still don't have it you can get in touch and ask about the update.

2) The only thing this update does is lower artifact levels, as seen in analyzers like Plugin Doctor (which I really like and use heavily while developing my stuff). I believe the artifacts were already acceptably low, even for multiple passes, but I found a way to lower them further, so I did it. Now they're verrrry low, mostly under -125dB, as shown on the harmonic distortion graph of Plugin-Doctor. Every dynamic Nebula program is going to have artifacts of some kind. The question is are they a problem, and I'd say no, not here. Especially after this update.

3) While I use Plugin-Doctor heavily, I want to say that its graphs can be misleading in some cases, with Nebula programs. For example, I'm pretty confident that the artifact levels you can see on the harmonic graph, are not typically what you're getting at any given moment, in actual use. I think in actual use, it's even lower.

Basically, Plugin Doctor seems to be using lots of fast pulses to measure the harmonics (it also uses this method for the frequency response graph, which can be misleading there as well). What happens is that the harmonics graph is showing you something like a constant stream of 'transients', or a signal going from silence to a loud level, over and over. So the artifact levels seen are what happens during that kind of quick transition from really quiet or silence, to really loud. If you analyze a sustained tone, or even one fluctuating in level by a few dB, with something like Voxengo Span, you'll see much lower artifact levels.

So I think what this means is that since most of the audio anyone is going to be processing with these programs is not like a series of never-ending transients, the level of artifacts is going to be even lower than what's shown on the graphs of Plugin-Doctor. And now after this update I think even the levels shown in the graphs are very clean and low and outside of human hearing by many dBs, so it shouldn't really be something to worry about.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So I think what this means is that since most of the audio anyone is going to be processing with these programs is not like a series of never-ending transients, the level of artifacts is going to be even lower than what's shown on the graphs of Plugin-Doctor. And now after this update I think even the levels shown in the graphs are very clean and low and outside of human hearing by many dBs, so it shouldn't really be something to worry about.
As long as the update does not remove any of that 102 sound quality Tim, I'm happy for the update. Test just a few Acqua's and you'll find out real quick what over cleaning up can accomplish.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

You guys can probably help me out.

In nebula land you see a lot of programs in 44, 48, 88, 96. So I was wondering is that related to the audio setting in your daw? Mine is 48 for example.

Or does the audio setting not matters how the daw handles the sample rate in nebula programs.

In other words: Can I use a program in 96 while my daw, while the audio setting is 48 and would it be beneficial. Or is that only when my daw audio setting is also in 96?

Thanks!
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 ➡️
You guys can probably help me out.

In nebula land you see a lot of programs in 44, 48, 88, 96. So I was wondering is that related to the audio setting in your daw? Mine is 48 for example.

Or does the audio setting not matters how the daw handles the sample rate in nebula programs.

In other words: Can I use a program in 96 while my daw, while the audio setting is 48 and would it be beneficial. Or is that only when my daw audio setting is also in 96?

Thanks!
If your DAW is at 48 you should have the libraries available at 48, if you are at 96, the same.

Nebula is capable of doing the conversion, but you can get unpleasant results and also higher CPU usage.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
If your DAW is at 48 you should have the libraries available at 48, if you are at 96, the same.

Nebula is capable of doing the conversion, but you can get unpleasant results and also higher CPU usage.
Great, then my intuition was doing it right.

Thanks for your help
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
I'm also working in 48kHz and using 48 Nebula libs inside Metaplugin with 2 or 4X oversampling in offline mode, just to avoid any aliasing (just in case). It works for some libs but not all of them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
1) I'm sending out emails for this right now
I never got an update email Tim, will it be in our account?
Gear Nut

Quote:
3) While I use Plugin-Doctor heavily, I want to say that its graphs can be misleading in some cases, with Nebula programs. For example, I'm pretty confident that the artifact levels you can see on the harmonic graph, are not typically what you're getting at any given moment, in actual use. I think in actual use, it's even lower.
I'm a big fan of Plugin Doctor, especially for my personal learning curve. Looking at various API or Neve bells, shelves, and curves, copying them with Crave EQ, learning how they divide up the freq spectrum for example. Seeing wow/flutter on tape emu's and dialing it up or down, learning about different attack/release curves, what look-ahead does, and the performance tab has been very useful for weeding out the higher CPU culprits. I'm not a card carrying member of the alias police union, I'm just trying to understand how these tools work with my eyes AND ears AND brain, etc.

That said, I was playing with different name brand preamps (names omitted to protect the innocent) on drums for an upcoming acoustic jazz project. I narrowed it down to a couple I really liked, one was darker and the other was brighter in the upper mids. So I thought I'd slap them into PD to see where the bump or dips were, only find they were both ruler flat from about 150hz up, more or less.

So ok, PD isn't showing me where the differences I am hearing. At the end of the day, no big deal, I decide with my ears, my gut, etc. But I want to get a deeper understanding of where this difference is coming from. Perhaps it's in the harmonic content response? I poked around in the various tabs and graphs and nothing jumped out as obviously illustrating the difference I was hearing.

Hope this makes sense.

Any insights?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyohmy ➡️
I'm also working in 48kHz and using 48 Nebula libs inside Metaplugin with 2 or 4X oversampling in offline mode, just to avoid any aliasing (just in case). It works for some libs but not all of them.
You may want to test ...

If running Nebula inside MetaPlugin at 2X oversampling ... you are effectively running at 96K [with the DAW session at 48k].

Try running with the 96K native Nebula library while inside MetaPlugin.

Otherwise ... Nebula has to do its own samplerate conversion, rather than using native.

I don't know if Nebula will automatically switch rates internally when running inside Metaplugin, and auto load the new OS rate [2x - 96k]
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
I didn't get one either, would love to know also if the latest downloads are in our account.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean8877 ➡️
I didn't get one either, would love to know also if the latest downloads are in our account.
I never saw a place for the Lunchbox update either; if there was one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
yes

the emails go out to the addresses attached to the paypal account used
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
You may want to test ...

If running Nebula inside MetaPlugin at 2X oversampling ... you are effectively running at 96K [with the DAW session at 48k].

Try running with the 96K native Nebula library while inside MetaPlugin.

Otherwise ... Nebula has to do its own samplerate conversion, rather than using native.

I don't know if Nebula will automatically switch rates internally when running inside Metaplugin, and auto load the new OS rate [2x - 96k]
I don't think Nebula auto loads anything does it? The user chooses the sample rate of the library when they load the Nebula program, so if your project is 48 and you load a 48 library, then you metaplugin OS Nebula 2x, Nebula is going to src. Kind of counter-productive I'd say, unless you are running the 96 Neb program and you 2x OS your 48 project as you are suggesting.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudscape ➡️

Any insights?
maybe phase? did you check the phase responses? or as you said i guess it could be related to the harmonics. it also could be that the frequency response changes at different drive levels, and the graph you're seeing is possibly just at one particular amount of input level.

are you talking about hardware preamps, or nebula programs?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyohmy ➡️
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
i really do think you'd want to be using 96khz programs in this situation (if available) instead of 48.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yes

the emails go out to the addresses attached to the paypal account used
Why not just login your site and have updated downloads? I've gotten no messages from you if there were any.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
I don't think Nebula auto loads anything does it? The user chooses the sample rate of the library when they load the Nebula program, so if your project is 48 and you load a 48 library, then you metaplugin OS Nebula 2x, Nebula is going to src. Kind of counter-productive I'd say, unless you are running the 96 Neb program and you 2x OS your 48 project as you are suggesting.
Yes ... exactly why I brought it up to the OP.

And to the OP ... I'd question, then, taking Nebula/N4 beyond 2x oversampling.

I've not 'listen' tested ... just thinking through the logic.

But as kindafishy pointed out ... you have to pre-load the Nebula inside Metaplugin, with the 96k Presets .... then select 2x.

This will put Nebula into native 96k [from a 48k session], and not have samplerate interpolation.

Be sure to view Nebula's GUI, and NOT see a flashing '!', and that the display shows 96k>96k. Then good.
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudscape ➡️
I'm a big fan of Plugin Doctor, especially for my personal learning curve. Looking at various API or Neve bells, shelves, and curves, copying them with Crave EQ, learning how they divide up the freq spectrum for example. Seeing wow/flutter on tape emu's and dialing it up or down, learning about different attack/release curves, what look-ahead does, and the performance tab has been very useful for weeding out the higher CPU culprits. I'm not a card carrying member of the alias police union, I'm just trying to understand how these tools work with my eyes AND ears AND brain, etc.

That said, I was playing with different name brand preamps (names omitted to protect the innocent) on drums for an upcoming acoustic jazz project. I narrowed it down to a couple I really liked, one was darker and the other was brighter in the upper mids. So I thought I'd slap them into PD to see where the bump or dips were, only find they were both ruler flat from about 150hz up, more or less.

So ok, PD isn't showing me where the differences I am hearing. At the end of the day, no big deal, I decide with my ears, my gut, etc. But I want to get a deeper understanding of where this difference is coming from. Perhaps it's in the harmonic content response? I poked around in the various tabs and graphs and nothing jumped out as obviously illustrating the difference I was hearing.

Hope this makes sense.

Any insights?
have you tried the hammerstein tabs? Here you can see how the harmonomics will act at the corresponding frequencies.
Old 20 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➡️
Why not just login your site and have updated downloads? I've gotten no messages from you if there were any.
the downloads at my site are always the latest versions. when will asked and i said yes that's what i meant but i guess i wasn't very clear about that. so yeah you can always just log in and download the latest version that way.
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
Yes ... exactly why I brought it up to the OP.

And to the OP ... I'd question, then, taking Nebula/N4 beyond 2x oversampling.

I've not 'listen' tested ... just thinking through the logic.

But as kindafishy pointed out ... you have to pre-load the Nebula inside Metaplugin, with the 96k Presets .... then select 2x.

This will put Nebula into native 96k [from a 48k session], and not have samplerate interpolation.

Be sure to view Nebula's GUI, and NOT see a flashing '!', and that the display shows 96k>96k. Then good.
"But as kindafishy pointed out ... you have to pre-load the Nebula inside Metaplugin, with the 96k Presets .... then select 2x."
I'm almost certain you need to do OS in Metaplugin FIRST, then load (i.e) 96k Neb after. Otherwise SRC occurs. You can check the status of the Neb OS in the Edit menu of the Neb instance. From memory, if the sample rate in the Edit menu is flashing it means SRC is taking place. I could be wrong but this was my conclusion when I looked into this a few months ago.
Old 16 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssamson ➡️
"But as kindafishy pointed out ... you have to pre-load the Nebula inside Metaplugin, with the 96k Presets .... then select 2x."
I'm almost certain you need to do OS in Metaplugin FIRST, then load (i.e) 96k Neb after. Otherwise SRC occurs. You can check the status of the Neb OS in the Edit menu of the Neb instance. From memory, if the sample rate in the Edit menu is flashing it means SRC is taking place. I could be wrong but this was my conclusion when I looked into this a few months ago.
correct.
📝 Reply