The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear
Is there a way off realtime batch processing with Nebula ?

I know there is Nebulaman, but it doesn't render in realtime afaik ...
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
Is there a way off realtime batch processing with Nebula ?

I know there is Nebulaman, but it doesn't render in realtime afaik ...
Not from within Nebula, it is just the plugin platform. I batch process in Reaper, so I am guessing the answer to your question depends on which DAW software you use.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
Not from within Nebula, it is just the plugin platform. I batch process in Reaper, so I am guessing the answer to your question depends on which DAW software you use.

I'm on Cubendo and I have Wavelab which has a batch function, but still not realtime. I did some shootouts and realtime processing with Nebula sounds better to me. I was even thinking about RX 4 that has batch processing and can load 3rd party plugins, but even that is not realtime I guess.

So reaper ... hmmm never touched that programm ... thanks for the hint bro

Last edited by soundgeezer; 8th April 2015 at 05:12 PM..
Old 19th April 2015
Lives for gear

Resurrect!

The new update is great, finally fixed the "click" when bypassing, changing parameters etc. Thank you lawd! Also new gear from AlexB.. :D
I've been using the dynamic section from Bootsys' FerricTDS with the R2R and TapeBooster+, works great, sounds way better than the VTM-M2 and it's completely free!

The new 2254 from AlexB sounds FAT! I may have to get this one..
Old 19th April 2015
Lives for gear

Still no sign of Nebula 4?
Old 19th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
I've been using the dynamic section from Bootsys' FerricTDS with the R2R and TapeBooster+, works great, sounds way better than the VTM-M2 and it's completely free!
Cool. Might have to check that out!

Edit: Nevermind - PC only... oh well
Old 20th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
Still no sign of Nebula 4?
Oh yes there is ...

The '4' technology is showing up in the very latest IVORY-EQ [Acqua]. At what level/version it's at for public release I'm not certain ... but we have been heavily testing this major engine build within the 'Beta' group.

It is making its way also into Nebula proper [again in Beta].

I have no specific details that I can share, other than to say, we are now focusing on further optimizations and finer tuning to response of controls.

The special sampling program, NAT, has been another 'behind the scenes' focus.

All this is taking the NEBULA technology to an even higher level ... particularly in user work-flow, some of which is being slipped into NEB-3.
Old 20th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Oh yes there is ...

The '4' technology is showing up in the very latest IVORY-EQ [Acqua]. At what level/version it's at for public release I'm not certain ... but we have been heavily testing this major engine build within the 'Beta' group.

It is making its way also into Nebula proper [again in Beta].

I have no specific details that I can share, other than to say, we are now focusing on further optimizations and finer tuning to response of controls.

The special sampling program, NAT, has been another 'behind the scenes' focus.

All this is taking the NEBULA technology to an even higher level ... particularly in user work-flow, some of which is being slipped into NEB-3.
Awesome, thanks, I love this kind of insider info in this situation.

So the waiting game continues..
Old 21st April 2015
Lives for gear
Maybe I am totally misinterpreting some of the posts here (which wouldn't surprise me since I am on day 2 of a flu....yuk), but there is nothing wrong with waiting for good developments. I get the idea that people start feeling that a dev (or team of devs, as in Acustica) are just sitting around....I am also a tester and can verify that the developers at Acustica are kicking some serious butt with their work. Patience, patowans......
And for everyone "on the fence", waiting for the newest Nebula: It is amazing software as-is, right now. I've been using it for over 3 years, and recently, Nebula is 75% of any plugin use (It's been awesome). Yes, I was fortunate enough to upgrade my CPU, and that alone made a huge difference in my enjoyment. You are still going to want as much CPU as possible with any version of Nebula, this is not the algo plugins our mommas raised us on!!
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

I just decided to drop the "NYC Parallel Comp" program from TDC (The Drum Compressor by CDSM) on the master just for f*ck of it. Such aggression, bite, clarity and punch I can't believe! It brings out the drums out MAGICALLY to a perfect level and does so extremely transparently (I mean you can't really tell that it's compressing unless you really crank it up). Amazing, works even better on the master than on the drums IMO. I also added a little bit of low end from the Baxandall.. boom!

Now I have to go and remaster all my stuff.
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
I just decided to drop the "NYC Parallel Comp" program from TDC (The Drum Compressor by CDSM) on the master just for f*ck of it. Such aggression, bite, clarity and punch I can't believe! It brings out the drums out MAGICALLY to a perfect level and does so extremely transparently (I mean you can't really tell that it's compressing unless you really crank it up). Amazing, works even better on the master than on the drums IMO. I also added a little bit of low end from the Baxandall.. boom!

Now I have to go and remaster all my stuff.
The TDC and the TGC (Guitar) libraries, in my opinion, are vastly under-rated and overlooked. Both are amazing once you wrap your head around how they work and how they are set up. Too many people are intimidated by the "preset" notion and they miss out on how versatile and usable these are.
Speaking of CDSM Compressors.... Check THIS out.....
New Fast FET...It's a monster.
Old 25th May 2015
Gear Nut
CDSM plugins and Nebula libraries are incredible. They are truly versatile tools that can provide the missing pieces to the tone or sound you are after. I appreciate how some of the plugins are to be used to complement your existing plugin to enhance the sonic capabilities of the plugins you may currently own. I think that is pure genius. Highly recommend.
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

Just a head-up that the CDSM libraries are on sale right now:

Quote:
From Now until Monday, May 25, Buy Any CDSoundMaster Nebula Pro Program Library at its regular price and get ANY CDS Nebula Pro Program Library of the Same or Lesser Value for FREE!!!

Call It A BOGO...
Call It A 2 For 1...
Call It Whatever You Want!

Just go and get 'em now!
:-)

Go and grab your choice of any of my CDS Nebula Pro Program Libraries and send me an email with your second library choice(s) and I'll send your download link right to your email.

Do You Want To Rack Up? Unlimited Quantity BOGO! Grab Two, Three, Five... however many and ask for the same number of same or lesser value!!!

Yes, this is just for my Nebula Pro Program Libraries :-)

As Always-
If you have a special discount need for anything else just let us know and we will create a special combo especially for you!

Thank you so much and God Bless You.
Sincerely,
Michael
CDS
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

Does anyone know when the full Nebula 4 might be getting a release?
Old 10th June 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
You mean the CUDA mode? As far as i know, it only works with programs with one kernel only, what does it mean? Check their FAQ for further information.

About the EQ, somebody on their forum is working on a way to load the 7 instances of CLeQ from Alexb (SSL 4000 Eq) in one GUI so you can have it like all other EQ plugins, which is an exciting new development. He will make some other versions with another combination as well, like preamp+tape+console.
Take a look here
• View topic - VST plugin - CLeq User interface Alpha testers wanted

I've decided to go with nebula a couple of weeks ago, and i have to say, it was the best investment I've ever made. I don't have UAD, but i can say nebula is the best thing I've ever heard in digital world.

There was a shootout thread recently between OTB, and all kind of ITB plugins included nebula, Slate, and waves, and it was quite revealing. Unfortunately it's been deleted for some unknown reasons. If you're interested, PM me.

The other thing with nebula is, the library makers are very active and keep releasing awesome stuffs almost every week with no brainer prices, beginning from 3$.

With your 6 core cpu you can handle nebula for mixing purposes quite easily.
One good tip is though to run all your stems once through a good preamp-tape-console chain and then do the mixing afterwords. That way you can save alot of CPU power for further process.
Hey man I have an i7 4770s at 3.1 GHZ and I can only get about 3-4 instances of Nebula at 6 Kernals, 50ms timed. Is this normal? How many instances can you load and what settings do you run it on (kernals, timed/freq). TY
Old 10th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm03 View Post
Hey man I have an i7 4770s at 3.1 GHZ and I can only get about 3-4 instances of Nebula at 6 Kernals, 50ms timed. Is this normal? How many instances can you load and what settings do you run it on (kernals, timed/freq). TY
Hi, you should rise the DSP buffer setting in the xml files. I have mine at 4096 on xml's and 1024 on my soundcard as asio guard in cubase won't work with higher one. I can put maybe 50 instances like this.

You should buy nebula setup if you have a lot of library, so you can do a generic xml and assign it to all libraries in a minute.

have a great day!
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 about BUFFER. Also dont mix above 48k or it will eat the **** out of your CPU. I have the same CPU as you and was having the same problem mixing at 88k and 512 BUFFER. Switched to 48k and 1024 and now I can run abunch.
Old 10th June 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
+1 about BUFFER. Also dont mix above 48k or it will eat the **** out of your CPU. I have the same CPU as you and was having the same problem mixing at 88k and 512 BUFFER. Switched to 48k and 1024 and now I can run abunch.
Weird I'm mixing at 44 KHZ and my buffer is ridiculous, at 4096 samples delay. How many kernals do you run nebula at and do you used timed mode (if so what MS), if you don't mind me asking? I should mention is use FL studio, not pro tools... perhaps that plays a part but the people on the FL forums seem to think that it isn't an issue with the DAW. TY
Old 10th June 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by roystone View Post
Hi, you should rise the DSP buffer setting in the xml files. I have mine at 4096 on xml's and 1024 on my soundcard as asio guard in cubase won't work with higher one. I can put maybe 50 instances like this.

You should buy nebula setup if you have a lot of library, so you can do a generic xml and assign it to all libraries in a minute.

have a great day!
Thanks for the info! I will definitely check that out. How many kernals do you run Nebula at? I've heard 10 kernals is redundant so I'm looking for a number that is the best compromise between quality and CPU. TY
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Weird I'm mixing at 44 KHZ and my buffer is ridiculous, at 4096 samples delay. How many kernals do you run nebula at and do you used timed mode (if so what MS), if you don't mind me asking? I should mention is use FL studio, not pro tools... perhaps that plays a part but the people on the FL forums seem to think that it isn't an issue with the DAW. TY
Just to be clear... are you talking about the Nebula settings "DSP BUFFER" or your ASIO buffer? We are all talking about the Nebula setting on the MASTER page in Nebula. Using the "Nebula Reverb" VST it defaults to 512 I think. I run the default kernals and kernal mode set by the developer. I have tried TIMED and did not hear that big of a difference than the mixed mode.
Old 10th June 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
Just to be clear... are you talking about the Nebula settings "DSP BUFFER" or your ASIO buffer? We are all talking about the Nebula setting on the MASTER page in Nebula. Using the "Nebula Reverb" VST it defaults to 512 I think. I run the default kernals and kernal mode set by the developer. I have tried TIMED and did not hear that big of a difference than the mixed mode.
Thanks for the info.

I was using 2048 Nebula buffer and 4096 as my ASIO mixer buffer. I have edited the XML files to set nebula at 4096 as well just now, and it seems to help a little but the problem still persists. Really though if I leave the kernals as is I can get about 20 instances running but if I push the kernals and go into timed mode, that's when things slow down considerably. I have a stock soundcard and my hardrive is not SSD, maybe that slows things down?

Also, FL studio is showing a 173.27 MS delay with NebulaIICore 64 Reverb plugin set to 4096 buffer - do you have this as well? Do you manually adjust the MS on other tracks to fix the lag problem or does your DAW take care of that for you? I don't think the FL studio auto Plugin Delay Compensation catches Nebula.

I have done some listening and to my ears using more kernals and going into timed mode (50ms) gives a better sound.. although I'm not sure if it's worth it because the projects become unworkable. BTW I am using the AlexB libraries and CD Soundmaster tape libraries.

TY
Old 11th June 2015
Lives for gear

Remember ... TIMED mode will allow you to bring ANY computer to its' knees ... with a whimper.

At most, if/when I use TIMED mode [and that is after extensive testing ... BECAUSE, it is NOT a 'universal' better. This is confirmed even from the 3rd party Devs themselves].
IF you do run TIMED, and understand the proper settings, it may only be beneficial if only the MAIN kernel is switched to TIMED [with the proper sample length - ms]. Running the Even/Odd harmonics is rarely worth it ... if at all. This is my personal analysis within my rather high-end Mastering Suite, and is only my opinion and weights heavily on the practicality. For MY use, IF I use TIMED ... it will be a console INPUT and OUTPUT that bookend an entire FX chain. I DON'T have a super computer [yet] ... but mastering a single stereo track requires most everything my CPU can throw at it.

My DSPBuffer is bumped up to 2048 for most Acquas and Nebula. I can deal with the latency. Keep in mind ... each computer system seems to have its' sweet spot regarding buffer sizes, AND they MUST be multiples of 512 [like 1024, 2048, 256, etc]. Bigger is NOT always better.

We all know that 'convolution' reverbs take much more horsepower than most algo reverbs. Well ... Nebula/Acqua are layered levels of convolution that are vectorially link [layman's descript]. This takes plenty of CPU and RAM ... its the nature of the beast. But for those of us that have heard the sonic output ... it is the cross we bare, and alter our work-flow to suit the best we can ... we also 'pre-render' or 'freeze' tracks as often as needed.

However ... with using Nebula or Acqua ... I also find that I need MUCH LESS processing of a track. Like working with the hardware ... it just comes together better and faster.
I do have/use DMG Equilibrium for my algo eq ... but I need to switch to large FIR sizes when I render 65k+ .... but DMG is never at the end of the chain, ALWAYS some type of Nebula/Acqua so as to NOT lose the depth and dimension.

hope some of this is useful.
Old 11th June 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Remember ... TIMED mode will allow you to bring ANY computer to its' knees ... with a whimper.

At most, if/when I use TIMED mode [and that is after extensive testing ... BECAUSE, it is NOT a 'universal' better. This is confirmed even from the 3rd party Devs themselves].
IF you do run TIMED, and understand the proper settings, it may only be beneficial if only the MAIN kernel is switched to TIMED [with the proper sample length - ms]. Running the Even/Odd harmonics is rarely worth it ... if at all. This is my personal analysis within my rather high-end Mastering Suite, and is only my opinion and weights heavily on the practicality. For MY use, IF I use TIMED ... it will be a console INPUT and OUTPUT that bookend an entire FX chain. I DON'T have a super computer [yet] ... but mastering a single stereo track requires most everything my CPU can throw at it.

My DSPBuffer is bumped up to 2048 for most Acquas and Nebula. I can deal with the latency. Keep in mind ... each computer system seems to have its' sweet spot regarding buffer sizes, AND they MUST be multiples of 512 [like , 2048, 256, etc]. Bigger is NOT always better.

We all know that 'convolution' reverbs take much more horsepower than most algo reverbs. Well ... Nebula/Acqua are layered levels of convolution that are vectorially link [layman's descript]. This takes plenty of CPU and RAM ... its the nature of the beast. But for those of us that have heard the sonic output ... it is the cross we bare, and alter our work-flow to suit the best we can ... we also 'pre-render' or 'freeze' tracks as often as needed.

However ... with using Nebula or Acqua ... I also find that I need MUCH LESS processing of a track. Like working with the hardware ... it just comes together better and faster.
I do have/use for my algo eq ... but I need to switch to large FIR sizes when I render 65k+ .... but DMG is never at the end of the chain, ALWAYS some type of Nebula/Acqua so as to NOT lose the depth and dimension.

hope some of this is useful.
You say that you use Nebula is ALWAYS at the end of the FX chain, does that include the limiter? I would assume not because post limiter volume would be way too loud to go into Nebula.

Also if you use it at the end of of your effects chain while mixing on a given track, how do you go about bouncing stems to save CPU? It seems if you want to have Nebula at the end of the chain, you would be bouncing tracks individually as opposed to a group... but then if you decided you wanted to tweak the track (maybe because of other elements in the mix changing), you would have to restart the process to make sure Nebula is at the end of the chain. I am in the habit of applying nebula on what needs it, bouncing everything with only Nebula on it, then reimporting the track and applying EQ, compression etc. as needed. This way if I can tweak EQs etc as I continue mixing but I am open to adjusting my workflow if you have had better results with Nebula at the end of the chain!

This is great info and pretty much the reason why I log on here. Thanks!
Old 11th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You say that you use Nebula is ALWAYS at the end of the FX chain, does that include the limiter? I would assume not because post limiter volume would be way too loud to go into Nebula.

Also if you use it at the end of of your effects chain while mixing on a given track, how do you go about bouncing stems to save CPU? It seems if you want to have Nebula at the end of the chain, you would be bouncing tracks individually as opposed to a group... but then if you decided you wanted to tweak the track (maybe because of other elements in the mix changing), you would have to restart the process to make sure Nebula is at the end of the chain. I am in the habit of applying nebula on what needs it, bouncing everything with only Nebula on it, then reimporting the track and applying EQ, compression etc. as needed. This way if I can tweak EQs etc as I continue mixing but I am open to adjusting my workflow if you have had better results with Nebula at the end of the chain!

This is great info and pretty much the reason why I log on here. Thanks!
It does not need to be at the end of your FX chain. This will not affect CPU usage. It sounds to me like your problem could be your sound card. Driver and sound card can majorly affect plugins CPU usage. You can see the difference here: DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking . Check that site and get a cheap ASIO card. I bet it will help alot.

(http://www.dawbench.com/audio-int-lowlatency2.htm this is the chart you want to use)
Old 13th June 2015
CD Soundmasters Acqua Plugins

I demoed CD Soundmasters N-TEN-AT4 sometime ago and I was very impressed with the sound. Can anybody tell me if they have any of this companies Acqua plugins running "smoothly" in Logic X? If I remember, it was a PITA to get working, I think I had to go the VST route using DDMF's Metaplugin and the GUI was horribly sluggish. Any feedback would be welcomed on this~
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
And won't allow using long enough impulses for a proper EQ besides sounding strange. Ended up switching everything to frequency domain convolution (FREQD).

By the way, I risking bringing some fanboy wrath on me again, but CDSoundmaster EQ is not the only one with strange artifacts. AlexB PoolTeQ has multiple impulses instead of one, like a short multitap delay/reverb, on 96k. 44.1 version does not have these. CDSoundmaster sampling is "reverb-free" too. Out of interest, I tested one of clones myself and no reverb either.

Every other library by AlexB I own has absolutely pristine frequency/impulse response besides sounding fine.

Speaking of GEQ, remedied my disappointment by Son(g)tec sampling by the same dev which has absolutely no weird spikes.

I think now it was't digital artifact but some weird pickup or resonance, which can be fixed by using it on 44.1k (brickwall filtering).

This shows it's difficult for a dev to make sure every sampling is absolutely top notch and let no quirks through.
Old 15th June 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_mod View Post
And won't allow using long enough impulses for a proper EQ besides sounding strange. Ended up switching everything to frequency domain convolution (FREQD).

By the way, I risking bringing some fanboy wrath on me again, but CDSoundmaster EQ is not the only one with strange artifacts. AlexB PoolTeQ has multiple impulses instead of one, like a short multitap delay/reverb, on 96k. 44.1 version does not have these. CDSoundmaster sampling is "reverb-free" too. Out of interest, I tested one of clones myself and no reverb either.

Every other library by AlexB I own has absolutely pristine frequency/impulse response besides sounding fine.

Speaking of GEQ, remedied my disappointment by Son(g)tec sampling by the same dev which has absolutely no weird spikes.

I think now it was't digital artifact but some weird pickup or resonance, which can be fixed by using it on 44.1k (brickwall filtering).

This shows it's difficult for a dev to make sure every sampling is absolutely top notch and let no quirks through.
No wrath here, the bigger the Nebula fanboy you are the more you should want to know about problems in libraries.

You should maybe even start a Nebula artifacts thread, would be very valuable.
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear

Don't think it worth another thread. After this spike, tested circa 100 GB of Nebula libraries including nearly everything that was released for demo/free and found no major offenders besides "CDSoundmaster spike" and "AlexB Pultec reverb" (which is quite low btw). Some inverted phase here, a bit of HF garbage here, but nothing criminal or unusable. Sampling quality for Nebula is very high overall, I was quite surprised after that case. Actually expected to find a lot of sloppy samplings.
Old 15th June 2015
Deleted User
That's good then. Pultec reverb, lol. Which CDSM library has it?
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you first edit your XML file to handle larger values ?

As to possible 'artifacts' ... maybe other's can confirm who run 96k. I use 44.1k and, as you mention, not seen, heard any problem.

I own many of the AlexB libraries. Alex has begun releasing v2 of several previous libraries [for a token fee to customers]. The new releases are simply stunning, and highly recommended.

It might be worth noting ... Nebula development has not stopped. This includes updates to the special NAT application that Devs use to create libraries. It could be expected that more updates may be release [if original hardware still available]. This is only a guess on my part ... I've no inside info, but I do know that the 3rd party Devs take their work quite seriously.

hm ... as to the 'artifacts', I do recall discussion on this topic. I thought that this was addressed within the Nebula engine itself? I may not be recalling correctly. What version of Nebula are you using ?

As to the 'fanboy' comment, the product/ libraries have the determination for me. I have no financial interests to gain. Actually, I'd prefer that NO ONE ELSE knew of Nebula or Acqua to be very honest ... hows that. Nonetheless, should you hear of something better, I'd appreciate learning about it. Thank-you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search