The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nebula must have
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
by the way, isn't it kind of weird that i can't say "****" or "****" at a forum called "gearslutz"

i think that's kind of weird.

maybe it's just me.

(also the $25 for cupwise tone isn't a discount, it's the normal price)

Last edited by Cupwise; 27th November 2020 at 08:48 PM..
Old 27th November 2020
Gear Head

IMO a developer who is this involved in the scene and this transparent about his thought process and methods, is one of the big things I have come to really value. Crave, DMG, TBPro, Airwindows, et al., TimP and Cupwise, all participate publicly in the discussions, respond super quickly to troubleshooting, and I can get back to working on how things sound. I'll take that and little to no BF sales any day over a dev who drops a fat BF discount on a plugin but doesn't ever support it.

Mr Wise, I really appreciate all you do and wish I could spend more money on your stuff.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Everything Andy said is true . . . but the sound . . . man-oh-man the sound. Gets used at least once on every mix I do and I’d be very sad to lose it - and I am a confirmed delay hoarder. Also great as a colour box as you can set it to give you the coloration of each box without the actual delays . . . basically like having 40 (or more? Less? I don’t remember the number) very colourful preamps in one plugin. I think it gets largely overlooked for this purpose.

Andy also made a guide to using Lemon that is very helpful.
Yes i forgot about the colour box of Lemon, it is really good for that too and you can also push some pretty convincing distortion out of it as well.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise View Post
by the way, isn't it kind of weird that i can't say "****" or "****" at a forum called "gearslutz"

maybe it's just me.

It's not just you, it's ridiculous. I think that Gearslutz is a repulsive name, it just shows how deeply ingrained misogyny is in the audio world.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

That was my point...any cheaper and you'd be giving it away.

I kind of assumed that this is a labor of love for you guys. But you gotta make something for your time and effort.

Well, other than the fact that you and a few other developers have dramatically changed the way a lot of us mix. I know I'm not alone in expressing my gratitude for your hard work.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Yes i forgot about the colour box of Lemon, it is really good for that too and you can also push some pretty convincing distortion out of it as well.
I'm glad you guys were discussing it, because I realized how cheap it is right now. 27 euro with all the discounts...needless to say it ended up in my shopping cart earlier.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
That was my point...any cheaper and you'd be giving it away.

I kind of assumed that this is a labor of love for you guys. But you gotta make something for your time and effort.

Well, other than the fact that you and a few other developers have dramatically changed the way a lot of us mix. I know I'm not alone in expressing my gratitude for your hard work.
yea i understood you, was just clarifying for anyone else who might not have

and i do appreciate that!
Lives for gear

Quote:

maybe it's just me.

Indeed . . . The name and language policy really coalesce misogyny and puritanism into a particular hypocrisy.
Lives for gear

Quote:
for my part, i've more recently actually raised some prices on some of my stuff because i look back over the years and feel like an idiot for having some of it priced so low. my first release, then called Tube FM 1, i originally priced at $16. i put lots of time into that and even had to invest a lot in the radios and other equipment. granted it's a bit of a weird thing, but i got lots of really intense compliments on that one (usually privately). i had someone tell me they had 'top engineers' in their studio in nashville who were 'floored' by those programs. saying that publicly probably would've got me a surge of sales, but hey, i don't always (or maybe even often) go out of my way to publicly praise things i buy either. i got $16 from that person. my own fault.

but my logic was if i put out a library and it's priced really low, i'll make lots more sales. if i've learned anything about business from my time with this- that type of thinking is self defeating and probably the opposite of the truth. because i think what ended up happening instead was that maybe a lot of people saw the low price, the unusual nature of the product, and assumed it was as cheap (quality wise) as it was priced. priced what it was worth, and not worth buying. it also seemed almost impossible for me to generate any meaningful 'word of mouth' promotion on forums, for years. maybe my low prices created some kind of psychological thing where people just didn't want to admit they were using my stuff, i don't know. but i would get some really crazy compliments in private emails, where nobody (prospective buyers) sees.

now i have the price on that same library at $32. i think it's worth that. i think i probably should've always had it priced that way. yeah it's not for everyone but if you're into that kind of thing it's pretty cool ****, imo, and a lot of variety of 'vintage tone'.

but it's not just that release, i (stupidly) did that with all of my stuff, for years (first compressors were ~$16 also). turns out if you try to 'cut people a deal' thinking it will increase sales, it results in people not talking about your stuff publicly, and just not buying much of it. but it was all *my* miscalculation. past few years i've been pricing stuff what i think it's worth and people actually buy my stuff, more than in the past. i think i also miscalculated how big the nebula customer base even was back then, too. it's not like i could've got hundreds and hundreds of sales, enticed by my really low prices. there probably just weren't that many potential customers (nebula owners).

anyway, i put many many hours in every release. i think i was the first dev to give out free updates for my stuff, or at least doing it as minor/major updates rather than a small big fix or something like that. in other words, constantly refining my programs. that tube fm (tube radios, direct, now) release i mentioned just got a recent update bringing it to my current standards. it's almost 10yrs old but now 'like new'. i haven't been able to do that with all of my older releases but i prioritize which ones need it most, and i think i've got all of them that really needed it. my compressors have had numerous, usually free, updates. possibly dozens. and i don't see sales increases out of doing that, either. usually they don't even get talked about in forums where i post them. i might get some 'thanks' type replies etc, but usually nobody ever says 'yeah i hear this or that improvement'. which would *probably* result in more sales. it would also give me some feedback and let me know people notice the improvement (i do get those comments, but they're RARE). but... i STILL do them. i've done them for years. honestly if it wasn't 'fun' for me to try to improve this stuff i wouldn't do it and i'd be crazy to.

i'm not really complaining i'm just pointing this out. i spent something like a month earlier this year to get all of my comps with 48 and 88.2khz, AND fix the 'low end ripple issue' because people were talking about it here. i got some 'thanks' type posts after doing that but i don't think anyone or almost anyone mentioned either of those changes publicly or even by email really. i more recently spent another month or so getting the n4 skins out, where you could push a button to switch between lite/full/shq. that, i thought would get some people talking, but nobody (or very few) said anything about being able to easily switch to lite for less CPU use while mixing, or if they use SHQ to render, or anything in depth like that. so honestly i have almost no idea if i just wasted my time with that update, if anyone even uses that feature! again, that's fine, i don't always do it myself. it's not owed or part of a contract, but it helps. it would help with sales, and letting me know what i'm doing is really appreciated, but that's fine, i enjoy doing it anyway.

i get people want big black friday deals. for me also, black friday seems like kind of a sham in general. i'd like some big crazy sales too! i want one of those raytracing graphics cards.. but they're crazy expensive, haha. anyway, bottom line is i have 20% off of what i still think are low prices, and if i went too far over that, i'd get one big surge of lots of people buying up lots of my stuff dirt cheap and then no sales until next black friday and i'd basically make a few handfuls of peanuts for a catalogue of stuff i've spent 10yrs and countless hours making. and i've already given too much away for too little, again, in my opinion.
Really enjoying CupWise Tone . . . and that bass-phase thingy (SPR) in the Rayphlex (Mode 2) is super interesting on some sources! Thanks for including it!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
for my part, i've more recently actually raised some prices on some of my stuff because i look back over the years and feel like an idiot for having some of it priced so low. my first release, then called Tube FM 1, i originally priced at $16. i put lots of time into that and even had to invest a lot in the radios and other equipment. granted it's a bit of a weird thing, but i got lots of really intense compliments on that one (usually privately). i had someone tell me they had 'top engineers' in their studio in nashville who were 'floored' by those programs. saying that publicly probably would've got me a surge of sales, but hey, i don't always (or maybe even often) go out of my way to publicly praise things i buy either. i got $16 from that person. my own fault.

but my logic was if i put out a library and it's priced really low, i'll make lots more sales. if i've learned anything about business from my time with this- that type of thinking is self defeating and probably the opposite of the truth. because i think what ended up happening instead was that maybe a lot of people saw the low price, the unusual nature of the product, and assumed it was as cheap (quality wise) as it was priced. priced what it was worth, and not worth buying. it also seemed almost impossible for me to generate any meaningful 'word of mouth' promotion on forums, for years. maybe my low prices created some kind of psychological thing where people just didn't want to admit they were using my stuff, i don't know. but i would get some really crazy compliments in private emails, where nobody (prospective buyers) sees.

now i have the price on that same library at $32. i think it's worth that. i think i probably should've always had it priced that way. yeah it's not for everyone but if you're into that kind of thing it's pretty cool ****, imo, and a lot of variety of 'vintage tone'.

but it's not just that release, i (stupidly) did that with all of my stuff, for years (first compressors were ~$16 also). turns out if you try to 'cut people a deal' thinking it will increase sales, it results in people not talking about your stuff publicly, and just not buying much of it. but it was all *my* miscalculation. past few years i've been pricing stuff what i think it's worth and people actually buy my stuff, more than in the past. i think i also miscalculated how big the nebula customer base even was back then, too. it's not like i could've got hundreds and hundreds of sales, enticed by my really low prices. there probably just weren't that many potential customers (nebula owners).

anyway, i put many many hours in every release. i think i was the first dev to give out free updates for my stuff, or at least doing it as minor/major updates rather than a small big fix or something like that. in other words, constantly refining my programs. that tube fm (tube radios, direct, now) release i mentioned just got a recent update bringing it to my current standards. it's almost 10yrs old but now 'like new'. i haven't been able to do that with all of my older releases but i prioritize which ones need it most, and i think i've got all of them that really needed it. my compressors have had numerous, usually free, updates. possibly dozens. and i don't see sales increases out of doing that, either. usually they don't even get talked about in forums where i post them. i might get some 'thanks' type replies etc, but usually nobody ever says 'yeah i hear this or that improvement'. which would *probably* result in more sales. it would also give me some feedback and let me know people notice the improvement (i do get those comments, but they're RARE). but... i STILL do them. i've done them for years. honestly if it wasn't 'fun' for me to try to improve this stuff i wouldn't do it and i'd be crazy to.

i'm not really complaining i'm just pointing this out. i spent something like a month earlier this year to get all of my comps with 48 and 88.2khz, AND fix the 'low end ripple issue' because people were talking about it here. i got some 'thanks' type posts after doing that but i don't think anyone or almost anyone mentioned either of those changes publicly or even by email really. i more recently spent another month or so getting the n4 skins out, where you could push a button to switch between lite/full/shq. that, i thought would get some people talking, but nobody (or very few) said anything about being able to easily switch to lite for less CPU use while mixing, or if they use SHQ to render, or anything in depth like that. so honestly i have almost no idea if i just wasted my time with that update, if anyone even uses that feature! again, that's fine, i don't always do it myself. it's not owed or part of a contract, but it helps. it would help with sales, and letting me know what i'm doing is really appreciated, but that's fine, i enjoy doing it anyway.

i get people want big black friday deals. for me also, black friday seems like kind of a sham in general. i'd like some big crazy sales too! i want one of those raytracing graphics cards.. but they're crazy expensive, haha. anyway, bottom line is i have 20% off of what i still think are low prices, and if i went too far over that, i'd get one big surge of lots of people buying up lots of my stuff dirt cheap and then no sales until next black friday and i'd basically make a few handfuls of peanuts for a catalogue of stuff i've spent 10yrs and countless hours making. and i've already given too much away for too little, again, in my opinion.
As someone who monitors this thread closely for deals but doesn't really use forums- let me just say that what Tim offers is an UNBELIEVABLE value. I own and use almost every single one of his compressors, because they give me something that nothing else in the box does (beside Tim Petherick's compressors). The nebula platform in general is criminally underused and what its developers offer are criminally underpriced. They give you the sound of the hardware- full stop- and all they require in return is some patience and imagination in usage.

I'm working on a few scripts for reaper to further streamline usage (simple things like randomizing preamp/console selection from a bank of presets, to complicated things like controlling EQ across multiple instances from a fabfilter pro-q style interface), and kicking around the idea of doing a video series on how to get started with nebula- because I think a lot of potential customers who are interested in the platform come here, see people talking about ripples and chirps, pontificating about the future of the platform, look at the standard UI, and frankly get scared off. It's still a platform that offers a ton and sounds incredible, and is just plain better-sounding than many of the first party Acquas being offered (although I own a few of those, as well).

For people who already own nebula, get Tim's lunchpail compressor. There's not a chance in hell you'll regret it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cornelius View Post
I'm working on a few scripts for reaper to further streamline usage (simple things like randomizing preamp/console selection from a bank of presets, to complicated things like controlling EQ across multiple instances from a fabfilter pro-q style interface), and kicking around the idea of doing a video series on how to get started with nebula- because I think a lot of potential customers who are interested in the platform come here, see people talking about ripples and chirps, pontificating about the future of the platform, look at the standard UI, and frankly get scared off. It's still a platform that offers a ton and sounds incredible, and is just plain better-sounding than many of the first party Acquas being offered (although I own a few of those, as well).

For people who already own nebula, get Tim's lunchpail compressor. There's not a chance in hell you'll regret it.
Please keep us posted on the Reaper Script development. It sounds very interesting.

I think a video series on getting started on N4/Nebula would be a godsend for new users.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I had an entire career playing guitar for negative $6 for like fifteen years . I do tend to look a person in the soul like a crow; sorry about that.
I forget then, do your libaries install offline? Like I said, my cellphone stopped allowing tethering two weeks ago so my Windows machines are offline and Aquarius frozen in time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yeah they do
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah, it's a fair bit more than a delay when you think about it. It can be a little saturation, it can be an EQ or a tone shaper, it's a chorus, it can be a reverb when you play with the feedback knobs, and of course a delay.

I just wish it had a little pitch shifter in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
I'm glad you guys were discussing it, because I realized how cheap it is right now. 27 euro with all the discounts...needless to say it ended up in my shopping cart earlier.
What discounts are you using other than the loyalty coupon? My loyalty discount only gets me to 32 euros. Just wanna make sure there's not something i'm missing out on
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore View Post
Yeah, it's a fair bit more than a delay when you think about it. It can be a little saturation, it can be an EQ or a tone shaper, it's a chorus, it can be a reverb when you play with the feedback knobs, and of course a delay.

I just wish it had a little pitch shifter in it

What discounts are you using other than the loyalty coupon? My loyalty discount only gets me to 32 euros. Just wanna make sure there's not something i'm missing out on
Just the BF sale and loyalty, I think mine is 40% now
Gear Addict

DibiQuadro PowerCabs at 14.50Euros is a steal. Bought yesterday and they have brought some tracked guitars to life, really impressed.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMaloogalooga View Post
DibiQuadro PowerCabs at 14.50Euros is a steal. Bought yesterday and they have brought some tracked guitars to life, really impressed.
Nice thanks for the tip
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Wow, i just read through this and discovered that some of the filter EQ's on some of the delay modules are boosts and cuts taken from EQ's like Purple, Ruby, Pearl and Ivory. And the "main signal" filter EQ is based on Emerald. That is some pretty incredible value. I'm surprised Lemon doesn't get talked about more. Is it just because it's been out a long time? How was the buzz behind it when it was first released in 2017 or whenever?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMaloogalooga View Post
+1

PowerCabs is a gem. I've stopped using IRs because of it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yeah they do
For all I know it could be the burner smartphone I'm on, but I couldn't find a place at your website to make an account. Even so I'm splitting hairs if now is the time for a tape sim anyway. You'r renowned for your compressors and I know the tube radio is right on.

But yeah, login button wouldn't hurt.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
probably it's the phone, should be in upper right corner

by the way i hope nobody takes that post earlier the wrong way. i've had lots of vocal support for AX102, way more than i expected, and for some other releases, and sales have been pretty good (for what it is) this year, so i'm not trying to act like i'm making nothing at this or getting no support from the community. just giving my background with this and why prices/sales are what they are. i did have someone else seem a bit disappointed with the 20% discount by email and i thought about going higher but i think i'd just be shooting myself in the foot in the long run

also i've had new support, or more like help in the form of max who has really been great!! (not just for me but for the community and nebula in general)
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's not just you, it's ridiculous. I think that Gearslutz is a repulsive name, it just shows how deeply ingrained misogyny is in the audio world.
You know, thank you for saying this. I have been thinking this since joining the forum...

[Edit: not for this thread]
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
probably it's the phone, should be in upper right corner...
Not possible or visible anywhere on this phone. I tried several times, but I'm back to square 1 in that saving $8 with all this effort was misplaced in the face of the rest of the list saving much more. Well I did try and several times, but maybe it's not meant to be.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Mr Granite and Mr Mcgroarty,
I know you mean well, but this condescension in the form of chivalry is actually a BIG part of the problem.

Hildur Guðnadóttir, Sylvia Massy, Susan Rogers, Leslie Ann Jones, etc. - have had more success than MOST men on this forum, and they did not NEED a man to "encourage" them to pursue a field they were/are already passionate about.

Women have no problems expressing themselves and their personal interests in 2020 (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, OnlyFans, etc).

*If* you believe that women are your equals - why would they need specifically male encouragement to excel in activities in which they are already capable?...(did you require female validation in pursuit of YOUR personal interests?).

We ALL need encouragement at times in our lives, but not banal encouragement based on the 'assumed collective sensitivities' of our respective genders (that is sexism 101).

I know numerous women working in the audio/visual field - some freelancers, but many working in successful companies, using gear that men on this website can only fantasize about!

Men of The Internet, please stop *simping* - your obsolete male virtue signalling will only cause you ostracism from BOTH sides of the isle.

Peace....✌
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frellin' Smesh View Post
Men of The Internet, please stop *simping*
Yes..For the love of God.........please..... stop.

Plenty of women who find the name Gearslutz inoffensive. Including my wife who actually enjoys this site. One of the last pure locations on the net where a man or woman can escape to share their love with peers for music, gear and plugins...and the people who obsess over identity politics and SJWs haven’t completely taken over.

Facebook and Twitter is THAT WAY <—-
Gear Addict

Soooooo

Is TimP Blue Mu as good as his other comps in terms of technique? Looking for a Nebula mastering comp to replace Ivory. Or TimC FluctiMew?

Oh and gearstudz.com is available if that’s a help. That’d definitely get the wives worrying
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It might be better to say 'support' rather than 'encourage'.
It might be better to say 'person' instead of 'woman'.
Anyone can be a slut.

The name Gearslutz is a joke of course. Maybe a sleazy one. Kind of like how 'jass' was used to describe early 20th century African American music.

The site name certainly isn't professional sounding.
Might be hard to change. Would take an evolution in collective consciousness.
That might some day be traced to the previous page. I know I've thought about this before but never posted on it.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frellin' Smesh View Post
Mr Granite and Mr Mcgroarty,
I know you mean well, but this condescension in the form of chivalry is actually a BIG part of the problem.

Hildur Guðnadóttir, Sylvia Massy, Susan Rogers, Leslie Ann Jones, etc. - have had more success than MOST men on this forum, and they did not NEED a man to "encourage" them to pursue a field they were/are already passionate about.

Women have no problems expressing themselves and their personal interests in 2020 (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, OnlyFans, etc).

*If* you believe that women are your equals - why would they need specifically male encouragement to excel in activities in which they are already capable?...(did you require female validation in pursuit of YOUR personal interests?).

We ALL need encouragement at times in our lives, but not banal encouragement based on the 'assumed collective sensitivities' of our respective genders (that is sexism 101).

I know numerous women working in the audio/visual field - some freelancers, but many working in successful companies, using gear that men on this website can only fantasize about!

Men of The Internet, please stop *simping* - your obsolete male virtue signalling will only cause you ostracism from BOTH sides of the isle.

Peace....✌
WORD!
THANKS FOR THAT!
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzb View Post
Yes..For the love of God.........please..... stop.

Plenty of women who find the name Gearslutz inoffensive. Including my wife who actually enjoys this site. One of the last pure locations on the net where a man or woman can escape to share their love with peers for music, gear and plugins...and the people who obsess over identity politics and SJWs haven’t completely taken over.

Facebook and Twitter is THAT WAY <—-
WTF?!
I'm sorry for you.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArimaTribe View Post
WTF?!
I'm sorry for you.
Don’t be! Save your emotions and use them for something worthwhile
📝 Reply