The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 14th February 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_mod View Post
Expected replies like this as no one is ever thankful for the alarm.

My intention was to warn people who are using (or considering using) this library, not playing word games with the developer or getting respect from someone. Anyone can see for yourself, and decide according to their own expierence, if they want convolving their audio with that. If you beleive developer, fine, ignore it, filter it, use 44.1, whatever.
Your intention is to play the victim, offend Michael, and hurt his business.

You haven't offered anything in response to Michael's quite detailed explanation. Well actually you did; it was to insult his intelligence and accuse him of lying. Beyond the diatribe your only tangible offering is pictures, on a forum for technology designed to deliver SOUND.

My intention is to make sure that your empty accusations, your insults, and your poor character get no traction by others less familiar with the Nebula technology, and with Michael and his vast library of excellent products and supremely positive character.
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear
I have known and worked with Michael Angel on many levels for over 4 years now. One thing I can confidently say is that he never lies, and always tells it like it is. The times when he has been made aware of a problem in his software (or in his amazing hardware he made for a while), he made it right. Ringo, what he was trying to explain to you (quite eloquently), is that if you were get a graph from the actual hardware, you would see the same spike. The guy went out of his way to take the time and energy to explain this. What you have done is not a service to any future customer of his, you have only revealed your own small minded-ness and lack of willingness to accept an honest answer to a few things that you are clearly wrong about.
The funny thing is that him and I talked about this thread before he drafted his response. And one of the things he said was something to the nature of how he was pretty sure some kind of negativity would persist long after he responded, but he felt a need to offer an answer from someone (him) who actually understands this Nebula/Acqua technology. This is why we rarely see Michael post here, he is a positive and honest person.....
Are you a Nebula developer, Ringo? Do you actually understand the complexities involved with this?
I am in no way trying to insult anyone, but I am defending someone (Michael) who deserves to have a little support for his awesome work and impeccable goodness as a human.
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear

richinmusic, I understand what you trying to say.
But still, have you noticed the VTM-M2 topic? From here, CDSoundMaster releases VTM-M2 - The Vintage Tape Machine VST There is a long discussion about aliasing (almost till the end) and Michael precisely avoiding answers.

I don't have that much gear to test, but understand a little about digital. And that doesn't look right to me. I understand the reason why it alias. Not this fact upset me (this is common with 99% digital), but his behavior. Expected to hear a simple answer, something like "Yes, it's aliasing. This is the state of current digital technology. It's difficult to model the process as complex as tape without artifacts", and I would be fine with that, it's digital.

Maybe you can understand why I'm not the believer. Maybe he's right and this equipment is really resonates as hell at 38k, but how I supposed to trust now?
Old 15th February 2015
Quote:
But still, have you noticed the VTM-M2 topic? From here, CDSoundMaster releases VTM-M2 - The Vintage Tape Machine VST There is a long discussion about aliasing (almost till the end) and Michael precisely avoiding answers.

I don't have that much gear to test, but understand a little about digital. And that doesn't look right to me. I understand the reason why it alias. Not this fact upset me (this is common with 99% digital), but his behavior. Expected to hear a simple answer, something like "Yes, it's aliasing. This is the state of current digital technology. It's difficult to model the process as complex as tape without artifacts", and I would be fine with that, it's digital.

Maybe you can understand why I'm not the believer. Maybe he's right and this equipment is really resonates as hell at 38k, but how I supposed to trust now?
If I remember correctly - but I think the point of what he was saying was that VTM-M2 does alias - and that is intentional. As I understand it there are some ways to use aliasing for instance apogee apparently do that in some of their converters...I think because aliasing is like the bogeyman - Michael was probably trying to find the line between explaining - but not offputting people with a complex topic...

To be honest looks like the same situation again in which Michael provided very detailed and friendly responses - that most people appeared not to listen to...even when the idea was backed up by a post from Paul Frindle - people battled on arguing over their beliefs.

Last edited by SWAN808; 15th February 2015 at 03:33 PM..
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Nut

Sometimes people can have very rigid expectations about how a response should fit their mental models and evaluations. Then when someone responds explains who holds different (and often more detailed, nuanced and subtle) models than the requester, it can be easy to assume bad faith and deception especially if the requester doesn't understand the response a well as they think they do. And the ability to understand the response, can be greatly hampered, if filtered by the requesters rigid expectations.

Please respond to me in a way I expect and believe correct and then I'll believe you. Otherwise, I'll assume you are attempting to be deceptive.
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:

I don't understand your position, in all due respect. I think you are completely reading into what you call "his behavior", but I say that because I know him personally and know for a fact that he is one of the nicest, most honest, most fair, and most to-the-point person I know (and probably ever have). So I am naturally suspecting that if you are feeling deceived or that he has avoided answering a question, then it is likely (based on my knowing him) that it is a matter of you not hearing what you have predetermined to be "truth" about the subject. Nobody likes to be wrong or 'called out" on something, especially on a public forum, but in situations that involve someone as "upright" as Michael, I tend to trust him if he gently tells me that I am wrong (or "misguided") about something.
Take whatever you want from this, but back to the subject of software, I will still use and recommend all of the CDSM software for ultra-spectacular results in any audio, from home-studios to "A-List" facilities.
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
In other words, these spikes are absolutely unique for CDSoundmaster. Haven't seen anything like this on any sampling from any other developer, high-end on otherwise.
Regarding VTM-M2, I remember several people, including developers, noticing the difference between harmonics and aliasing, except author. Sorry, cannot give much credit to your words after this.

I hope you will fix this spike problem, whatever it was, in future releases even if you haven't acknowledged it, which is understandable.
Thank you for pointing out a potential issue, but please consider
carefully whether
a. this is a property of the sampled hw
b. what is the final practical effect on the audio.

CDSoundmaster in my experience is a meticulous developer
producing trully outstanding products. He also practices
customer support like few others. No need for acusations,
or conflict here...
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Just recently picked up AIR and LAy-2A Mojo from Olonga.. jesus!

Turned out that the LA-2A (never even touched a real one) does EXACTLY what I've been trying to do with EQ's and tapes to my top end. I was f*cking blown away. It sounds NOTHING like, let's say, the LA-2A plugin from T-Racks. Nothing.
And the AIR.. no words. Clarity, shine and width. All with two "simple" plugins. And they're cheap as dirt.

Man I'm so satisfied right now :D

Oh yeah, about the consoles being subtle.. push an aggressive/busy mix through one of the new AlexB consoles, listen for while then bypass.. then tell me it's "subtle"
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Just recently picked up AIR and LAy-2A Mojo from Olonga..
Indeed! Those 2 libraries have been some of my not-so-secret secret weapons for a couple years now. Awesome indeed!

Quote:
Oh yeah, about the consoles being subtle.. push an aggressive/busy mix through one of the new AlexB consoles, listen for while then bypass.. then tell me it's "subtle"
Try running all of the tracks individually through one of the inputs too....talk about some amazing sonic build-up!!
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
Try running all of the tracks individually through one of the inputs too....talk about some amazing sonic build-up!!
Not gonna happen Sir, since I usually use AT LEAST 40-60 tracks per project. Would be too much hassle even if my CPU could take it.. Sounds fantastic probably, but you have to draw the line somewhere :D
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Not sure if mentioned ... but everyone should grab a copy of the free book recently released by AA. There are some fine interviews from various engineers with some great insight and cool tips.

carry on ...
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Not gonna happen Sir, since I usually use AT LEAST 40-60 tracks per project. Would be too much hassle even if my CPU could take it.. Sounds fantastic probably, but you have to draw the line somewhere :D
I batch-process some tracks sometimes, worth it to me (and clients).
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

or guys you should mix in awesome Studio One cause you can insert plugins on the EVENT/CLIP themself and render it (bounce). and put all your plugins as Insert after like usual. the advantage is you can go back anytime. under the track EVENT and tweak the console, tape, preamp or all that you have in the chain and render back, save cpu and move on cant live without that.. I dont know if Reaper does this. maybe. well Pro tools behind like it is, added just the clip gain recently in v8 or 9 on EVENT/CLIP
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:

Turned out that the LA-2A (never even touched a real one) does EXACTLY what I've been trying to do with EQ's and tapes to my top end. I was f*cking blown away. It sounds NOTHING like, let's say, the LA-2A plugin from T-Racks. Nothing.
And the AIR.. no words. Clarity, shine and width. All with two "simple" plugins. And they're cheap as dirt.

Glad to see some love for the air bundle i was praising it lot seems many ppl neglect that one the clariphonic inside its unreal!

I got lot of the mojo series but some of them are not so special as the Man Vary Mu it doesn't sound so close to the real deal !
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I batch-process some tracks sometimes, worth it to me (and clients).
Yeah, it depends how you work.. if you work in more traditional way (no huge amount of post-processing etc) then it's the way to go. I work a lot in midi and I hate not being able to go back to editing. I usually freeze/print tracks ONLY when it's absolutely necessary (CPU/RAM).

I do use the line amps on drums, vocals etc. where it's most noticeable.

Oh yeah, the AIR = incredible. Does exactly what the original name says: clarifies I also tried to add the T-racks version after the LA mojo to do the actual compression.. no bonus. It just muddled things up and sounded flat and thin.
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeah, it depends how you work.. if you work in more traditional way (no huge amount of post-processing etc) then it's the way to go. I work a lot in midi and I hate not being able to go back to editing. I usually freeze/print tracks ONLY when it's absolutely necessary (CPU/RAM).

I do use the line amps on drums, vocals etc. where it's most noticeable.

Oh yeah, the AIR = incredible. Does exactly what the original name says: clarifies I also tried to add the T-racks version after the LA mojo to do the actual compression.. no bonus. It just muddled things up and sounded flat and thin.
Whatever works best for each person is the best!
Speaking of LA2A....
Tim Petherick already released a very nice UA version.... Just sayin'.....
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whatever works best for each person is the best!
Speaking of LA2A....
Tim Petherick already released a very nice UA version.... Just sayin'.....
Really? The only thing I can find is the Summit Audio 100A, that's not UA is it?
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Really? The only thing I can find is the Summit Audio 100A, that's not UA is it?
Oops...that's what I meant... oops again. It is a similar unit (I believe the TLA 100A) and a n amazing library.
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oops...that's what I meant... oops again. It is a similar unit (I believe the TLA 100A) and a n amazing library.
I was actually aware of that.. must look into that although I'm quite happy my compressors etc. right now. The SSL before the LA and tape dynamics after that give me pretty much just the right amount of compression, I only use the LA2A for it's tone.

Getting pretty kick ass results right now..
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Speaking of Nebula must have ... if I may.

Tonite I'm mastering a 3-piece Jazz session [Keyboards, Upright, & Drums] recorded in an 'intimate' location with just a handheld digital recorder.

I pulled in AlexB's new A16 console, using the 'Mic Pre-amp' with the 'Modern Bus' presets.
Sandwiched in between is the DMG-EQ that I'm using to sketch out some corrections.

Just have to say that this new V2 console library is just spectacular. It doesn't seem to matter what type of material I put through it. Tonite jazz ... the other day was a 3-piece Rock group from Texas.

This entire 'American' series is just so musically excellent. I may very well go to the A5M mastering EQ for this project too.

Grab the demo presets ... [if you dare].
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Grab the demo presets ... [if you dare].
Umm, where can you find such? Can't see them on his page..

Oh yeah, the Olonga EMI EQ presets (not full EQ unfortunately) are also hella juicy. They're all good, but my favorite is probably "warmth" which is great just before the limiter. Does exactly what the name says.
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Getting pretty kick ass results right now..
...and THAT's what it's all about!
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Umm, where can you find such? Can't see them on his page..
I see that the EQ's and the Dynamics have a demo preset, on each product page under the manual. You are right, I didn't see an A16 demo preset.

Everything but the new dynamics library where updates for me. Once hearing the A5D comp/lim ... had to complete the series
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Once hearing the A5D comp/lim ... had to complete the series
Just installed.. h o l y ****. That's all I'm going to say

Looks like early Xmas.. again.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just installed.. h o l y ****. That's all I'm going to say

Looks like early Xmas.. again.
Yep ... I hear ya Ultra !

The entire American package is something that I never expected to like, but much more importantly, find how much I can use it.

I've gone from a Texas Rock group ... a Big Band Jazz ensemble, another day was mastering a performance on a huge church pipe organ ... and last nite a 3 piece jazz group.

Now I have mixed it up using different master bus presets for the different projects ... but not only having the choices, but what each choice brought to the mastering ... I just didn't expect.

The A5M eq is also something special. On this jazz trio, the handheld recorder was in a general location [going by what I hear] ... the piano and the vocal needed to be pulled upfront a bit. I tried the DMG ... ok, tried a couple others [GML and Songtec for example] they were good, but not quite it. I pulled up the A5M mid preset ad give it 1/2dB boast .... mmmmm. I ended up using ~1/4 dB of boost with the full harmonics ... the upper end of the piano and the voice just stepped forward in the mix. Now I also had a few other A5M bands running, but I ran those with the CLEAN preset versions. [no or minimal harmonics]. All the 'coloring' is great ... but in the end, the master didn't need that much. The A16 was already providing the main IN/OUT vibe .... so just a touch of character from 1 band of the A5M.

The dynamics library is just a whole 'nuther animal that I'm just getting to learn about. I need more time with it ... but honestly, I've been using the demo preset ... no compression ... just for the sonic vibe and weight.

I think I'm better understanding the API appreciation and fans. I was more a NEVE. AlexB's MFC is another great sounding console/eq/dyn ... and I'll call on it anytime.

If I had a single gripe with the EQ ... I do like user control over the 'Q'. This vari-Q is very nice and musical ... but there are those times I want to have discreet control ... oh ... and there a one or two FREQ's that I wish were part of the hardware design ... but there are other's that can be called on.

Anyway ... I'm glad to hear your first impression. I really try NOT to suggest things like this because everyone has their own preferences. But man, ever one of these V2 releases have been

I hope the Mastering Console/package is in the update chain
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep ... I hear ya Ultra !

The entire American package is something that I never expected to like, but much more importantly, find how much I can use it.

I've gone from a Texas Rock group ... a Big Band Jazz ensemble, another day was mastering a performance on a huge church pipe organ ... and last nite a 3 piece jazz group.

Now I have mixed it up using different master bus presets for the different projects ... but not only having the choices, but what each choice brought to the mastering ... I just didn't expect.

The A5M eq is also something special. On this jazz trio, the handheld recorder was in a general location [going by what I hear] ... the piano and the vocal needed to be pulled upfront a bit. I tried the DMG ... ok, tried a couple others [GML and Songtec for example] they were good, but not quite it. I pulled up the A5M mid preset ad give it 1/2dB boast .... mmmmm. I ended up using ~1/4 dB of boost with the full harmonics ... the upper end of the piano and the voice just stepped forward in the mix. Now I also had a few other A5M bands running, but I ran those with the CLEAN preset versions. [no or minimal harmonics]. All the 'coloring' is great ... but in the end, the master didn't need that much. The A16 was already providing the main IN/OUT vibe .... so just a touch of character from 1 band of the A5M.

The dynamics library is just a whole 'nuther animal that I'm just getting to learn about. I need more time with it ... but honestly, I've been using the demo preset ... no compression ... just for the sonic vibe and weight.

I think I'm better understanding the API appreciation and fans. I was more a NEVE. AlexB's MFC is another great sounding console/eq/dyn ... and I'll call on it anytime.

If I had a single gripe with the EQ ... I do like user control over the 'Q'. This vari-Q is very nice and musical ... but there are those times I want to have discreet control ... oh ... and there a one or two FREQ's that I wish were part of the hardware design ... but there are other's that can be called on.

Anyway ... I'm glad to hear your first impression. I really try NOT to suggest things like this because everyone has their own preferences. But man, ever one of these V2 releases have been

I hope the Mastering Console/package is in the update chain
The comp demo is pretty aggressive, I'm guessing 4:1 or 8:1 ratio or something.. the "density" in this thing is pretty incredible, it handles the low mids way better than the old SSL programs (they're completely different beasts IK, but still..). I'll be getting the full version eventually but for now, I'm using the demo on my master :D

IMO all these big players sound good (SSL, Neve, API etc.), you can make great sounding stuff with any of these packs.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO all these big players sound good (SSL, Neve, API etc.), you can make great sounding stuff with any of these packs.
Yea ... but back then I usually had to be flown out to another city/state.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea ... but back then I usually had to be flown out to another city/state.
Old 1st March 2015
Gear Maniac

I checked the TSX demo by AlexB and it does a really good job on severeal sources. I also liked the American A5D Compressor:

AlexB Audio Engineering
AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - A5D American 5 Dynamics - Nebula Programs

The TSX works for me (FTS or MWT cranked with saturation) on the master! It has very nice harmonics and a little weight on everything! The A5D also gives some punch to a whole track.
Old 8th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:

I love the henry o air bundle. Especially on acoustic guitar. If you like it and haven't tried increasing the gdrive. Try it. I thought it was great and got a tip from henry to increase the gdrive. This made a great recording sound amazing. As henry told me gdrive is your friend

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search