The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 27th December 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks a lot guys, i can't wait to try that libraries out
Ill be using nebula exclusive for mastering of House music, maybe worth to use something on the main channels of the mixing stage like Kick, Bass, Synth, Vocals ?
Because my cpu is not that great, any kind of libraries to do a mojo on that channels?
THXXXXX
Old 27th December 2014
Lives for gear

The new releases look amazing!!! A bit "pricey", if you can call 5 cents on the dollar "pricey" anyway........me want, saving up.......great job G!!!! So happy you've gotten to this point! Congrats, and enjoy that Ferrari!
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
• 88RS line amp (driven)
• 88RS comp (for the tone, not really compressing)
• A800 tape (15ips)
• G2500 (for actual compression)
• 88RS EQ
When you say 'driven' on the MFC console ins... how much dB typically? And this is with GDRV? Do you have to lower the input to compensate?

I'm using NebulaMan and tested the GDRV at +3dB (with no compensation on the IN) with good results so far.

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpd View Post
When you say 'driven' on the MFC console ins... how much dB typically? And this is with GDRV? Do you have to lower the input to compensate?

I'm using NebulaMan and tested the GDRV at +3dB (with no compensation on the IN) with good results so far.

Cheers
im not the one in the quoted question...

but if you really want to experiment with "drive" ..normally the input of nebula will give you only.. "only".. 6db... when you push it all the way up..

but if you really want to experiment with a little more gain adjust by ear etc...

TRY.. and i mena try..not that this is the best way...

load up lets say a preamp... program... and into nebula screen go to

EDIT> GLOB > normally the PAD IN is already selected...move the fader or knob into nebula increasing the pad in... "carefully" ... because it can get loud.. with a lot of artifacts...

and if you need to compensate the volume boost... click on PAD OUT... click on the number of DB and lower the fader or knob depending on the skin youre using...

tahts it... if you like it..you can SAVE... i dont recomend doing that.. because maybe someday you want to try with a different source...

but there you go... i normally do this a lot... and you can get crazy good results if you adjust it carefully...

Normally use the creator library without tweak... but since nebula is a tweak paradise... or nightmare... you can experiment...

if you dont like..just dont save it...

hope it helps.. peace!
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

There is also a G-DRV parameter that can be added ... it provides +/- 30 dB of gain.

The G-DRV uses reciprocal control of IN to OUT, maintaining unity.
Old 22nd January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I can not recommend the All you can eat bundle enough also, just a staggering amount of useful Nebula goodies, best for mixing IMHO.
For Mastering, Alex B's Mastering Console, AITB Mammoth (44.1Khz only) is where I would start. As always, to each their own.
Quick question on the "all you can eat", are they made to be used only in the Waves Q Clone? I downloaded the demo and couldn't get it load Henry's stuff. Where are you installing the package? Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Quick question on the "all you can eat", are they made to be used only in the Waves Q Clone? I downloaded the demo and couldn't get it load Henry's stuff. Where are you installing the package? Thanks
You get all programs and vectors for Nebula. Installation is the same as for the other libraries.
Old 22nd January 2015
Ksp
Lives for gear

the Purple lilpeq nebulised i thinks amazing.

I have that on the 2 buss all the time , just works for me.
Old 22nd January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkom View Post
You get all programs and vectors for Nebula. Installation is the same as for the other libraries.
When I purchased it the package came all in xps files. Did I purchase the wrong product, it looked like the only thing available on his site? Thanks for your help! I just checked and I did. When I went to his site he must have been updating it. I'll get the right one.

Last edited by RKeefe1032; 22nd January 2015 at 02:56 PM..
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

There are a few Q Clone presets in the "All You Can Eat", but it's mostly Nebula sets. I just picked up the 2014 update, just more fantastic Nebula goodies.
All Nebula sets go in the Nebularepository folder, on your boot drive.
Old 23rd January 2015
I picked up the right package and Henry was really great hooking me up with Programs/Vectors for Nebula. Wow, there are so many choices. I need a Mix Buss Compressor for a project right now, are there any favorites or places I should start looking? Also are there any of his programs that are considered classics and I should check out first. Thanks for letting me know about these Programs!!!

www.soundcloud.com/tkeefe
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpd View Post
Sorry for the late response, I've been idle for some time from GS..

It's only the new programs that come with GDRIVE.. from what I've understood (it's been a while since I read the manuals), it adds only the harmonic distortion in a natural way, the normal DRIVE-know just compensates the IN/OUT levels without raising the actual volume.

I remember AlexB saying something that it still doesn't work as well as with real hardware and that it should be used with caution.. I'm usually cranking the knob so that I'm hitting like -14-15 dFBS on the input meters (that's usually something like +3-4dB)

Hmm, anything else that interesting in Nebulalaland recently.. guess not.. purchased the SSL comp (which is an older release), it really compresses pretty well and sounds way different than ANY "normal" algo plugin that I've tried. Whole different ballpark I'd say even.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Sorry for the late response, I've been idle for some time from GS..

It's only the new programs that come with GDRIVE.. from what I've understood (it's been a while since I read the manuals), it adds only the harmonic distortion in a natural way, the normal DRIVE-know just compensates the IN/OUT levels without raising the actual volume.

I remember AlexB saying something that it still doesn't work as well as with real hardware and that it should be used with caution.. I'm usually cranking the knob so that I'm hitting like -14-15 dFBS on the input meters (that's usually something like +3-4dB)

Hmm, anything else that interesting in Nebulalaland recently.. guess not.. purchased the SSL comp (which is an older release), it really compresses pretty well and sounds way different than ANY "normal" algo plugin that I've tried. Whole different ballpark I'd say even.
Users can apply a "preamp patch" to get the GDRIVE, but it can break some presets, so always back up the n2p files first. Plus, you need to use NAT, so you have to be comfortable with that too. I'll look for it an post here.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
the normal DRIVE-know just compensates the IN/OUT levels without raising the actual volume.
I do not think this is correct.

the DRIVE control amplifies the harmonic engine, altering the original relationship.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I do not think this is correct.

the DRIVE control amplifies the harmonic engine, altering the original relationship.
RJ is correct about this. Most library developers suggest to use the normal drive function ONLY if your intent is to probably radically change the behavior away from the real hardware (as an "effect", for instance). The GDRIVE simply uses one knob/slider to do the same thing as raising the input and decreasing the output by the same amount.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
RJ is correct about this. Most library developers suggest to use the normal drive function ONLY if your intent is to probably radically change the behavior away from the real hardware (as an "effect", for instance). The GDRIVE simply uses one knob/slider to do the same thing as raising the input and decreasing the output by the same amount.
Ah, so it's basically the other way around.. ok, thanks for this.
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Maniac

hey... ehm guys,

Alex B made a new API Library ... console... eqs and so on... it uses newest tech also used in aqua plugins / nebula 4.

I tried out the demo of this API Compressor and loved it on the master together with blue eq and the titanium multicomp!!!

AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - A5D American 5 Dynamics - Nebula Programs

So that library seems really to rock and has good sound quality.... you can use it even with the freeware nebula 3 engine plugin!

of course look that you hit the master buss with around -12 peaks! Than it works really good in studio one for example... i use in the end a limiter to push it with +11 db after...

Ah and it worked also good for me on parallel drums... just added nice bottom and power to the drums...
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

Regarding CDSoudmaster GML 8200. I've noticed a strange artifact. Any idea why it has frequency response like this? Something clipped a little during sampling? My levels are ok. This looks like some sort of digital artifact.

Medium clean preset, 30 Hz, 2.5 dB boost.

Got it some time ago and never really used till today. Was interested what does GML curves look like.
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_mod View Post
Regarding CDSoudmaster GML 8200. I've noticed a strange artifact. Any idea why it has frequency response like this? Something clipped a little during sampling? My levels are ok. This looks like some sort of digital artifact.

Got it some time ago and never really used till today. Was interested what does GML curves look like.
this sample is damaged
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear

I just looked at my copy with VSTAnalyser.

The MED Clean - 30hz, +2.5dB does NOT have that spike that you have. I also checked the 'distorted' preset ... no spike either.

I bought the library the day it was release.
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I just looked at my copy with VSTAnalyser.

The MED Clean - 30hz, +2.5dB does NOT have that spike that you have. I also checked the 'distorted' preset ... no spike either.

I bought the library the day it was release.
For the record, I have also had this library since it was released and just checked, I do not have the spike at all. I'd talk to Michael, he'll surely want to straighten this out.
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
this sample is damaged
Tested it a bit more, on some settings the spike is lower or absent. But on most settings (randomly chosen) it's here. This is not just one sample, it's a ton of digitally damaged samples. The whole program is screwed.

It's hilarious how everyone praised how clean and analog it is, and it has nasty digital grit in it. Was suspicious about CDSoundmaster stuff after his aliasing-laden tape emulator (not R2R nebula library, but algorithmic VTM-M2 VST). But overwhelming good reviews on this program persuaded me.

BTW impulse response like this won't affect just frequencies > 38k. Its phase response is distorted, which causes ringing far below.

UPD:
Right now downloaded NICE EQ Free VST and it also has this artifact, but lower (around 3 db instead of 9). Anyone who entertain the thoughts of this being my dream or imagination can get it and check by oneself.

Randomly checked libraries from another devs at my disposal and more demos from CDSoundmaster site. None of them has a spike like this.

UPD2:
The story continues.
Found another library with a spike. CDSoundmaster MMP free, grandpiano2 preset

Smaller spike, but still exactly the same. Three libraries, this getting consistent. He definitely has a problem with a recording chain or software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
For the record, I have also had this library since it was released and just checked, I do not have the spike at all. I'd talk to Michael, he'll surely want to straighten this out.
Are you sure you're set VST Analyser sample rate to 96k and using 96k programs? My graphs are clickable. Notice the scale, this isn't 20k but 38. It shows up just fine.
Old 13th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnaut View Post
hey... ehm guys,

Alex B made a new API Library ... console... eqs and so on... it uses newest tech also used in aqua plugins / nebula 4.

I tried out the demo of this API Compressor and loved it on the master together with blue eq and the titanium multicomp!!!

AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - A5D American 5 Dynamics - Nebula Programs

So that library seems really to rock and has good sound quality.... you can use it even with the freeware nebula 3 engine plugin!

www.soundcloud.com/tkeefe

of course look that you hit the master buss with around -12 peaks! Than it works really good in studio one for example... i use in the end a limiter to push it with +11 db after...

Ah and it worked also good for me on parallel drums... just added nice bottom and power to the drums...
Off topic a bit but how did you get Studio One to recognize Nebula. It scans everything else but my nebula file, no matter which sub file I direct it to. Thanks for all the great info. New Nebula user but full on fan from now on. Will pickup AlexB API.
Old 13th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Off topic a bit but how did you get Studio One to recognize Nebula. It scans everything else but my nebula file, no matter which sub file I direct it to. Thanks for all the great info. New Nebula user but full on fan from now on. Will pickup AlexB API.
Just say studio one to scan the nebula temp. On my PC it is:
C:\nebulatemprepository

And you should read the manual very carefully!

And trust me: Push the Nebula PLugins only around -18db!!! If not you will get sometimes ugly noise! But you will find it out by trying anyway...
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnaut View Post
Just say studio one to scan the nebula temp. On my PC it is:
C:\nebulatemprepository

And you should read the manual very carefully!

And trust me: Push the Nebula PLugins only around -18db!!! If not you will get sometimes ugly noise! But you will find it out by trying anyway...
I don't even remember how the installer works at default in regards to locations, I have all of my plugins installed to other preferred locations. But I do know that this suggestion will only work if the dll's are in the temprepository, which mine have never been. So wherever the dll's are, that's where a DAW needs to be scanning.
Old 14th February 2015
Gear Nut

Hi Ringo,

Thanks for writing.
This is Michael - CDSoundMaster.

This is absolutely not a sampling error or a mistake in the sample or the gear, as Zaphod suggests.

I test the gear with multiple routines and paths, cables, and run dry loops to and from converters before, during, and after all processes.

The spikes are common with some pieces of gear. As you can see- it is specific to the changes to the frequencies being adjusted and sometimes it is not there at all. This is absolutely unique to the device.
For instance, you can view the MEQ-5 Mid Range Pultec classic EQ:

CDSoundMaster Audio Software | Pultec MEQ-5

Its electronics are very different from the 8200 and the SongTec.

In most devices, from EQ's to tube paths to tape machines, you will see a signature place somewhere in the extreme high end, well over 20,000Hz, that the linearity starts to break down- some devices are much cleaner than others, but the spike almost behaves like a high biasing frequency- it is completely inaudible in the signal path and certainly is not within 10,000Hz of the highest audible range of any eq filtering or any processing that is heard.

There are some consoles that have this character in the extreme high end and there are some eq's, but it is unique to the device.

As you can see on this classic American 500 series EQ, the frequency response is extremely flat, with variable Q width on the filtering:
CDSoundMaster Audio Software | ACQ 560 - The American Classic EQ

Above 25,000Hz it starts to show an increase in the signal noise but still a very small amount- if this sample continued into 100,000Hz and above, you would see more and more non-linearity. But- like the Pultec, the API design does not have the signature peak way up high in the top spectrum.

These characteristics are completely unique to the device- meaning that when the same cabling is plugged only into itself- the converters- there is a ridiculously clean, flat line- same cables, same volume setting.

When the volume of the sample is reduced by a large amount, we see an increase in the noise floor at extreme high frequencies, when the volume it peaked at the highest it can be for the device set to flat- it will show a very clean signal way up high.

Observe how the classic Neve console channel has very little variation all the way to the extreme highs with the eq bypassed:
CDSoundMaster Audio Software

When it receives a wide boost in the highs, you can see it starts to get a very small bend in the extreme high frequencies.

Now, for a completely different example:
CDSoundMaster Audio Software

Look at the nonlinearity from one tape setting to another. It still amazes me how well these perform even under extreme conditions- but the extra range of noise/bias/harmonics appears with a lot more character above the 25,000Hz range.

A few more notes on the same topic:

I've run tests not just with isolated instances:
Different cables, different converters, and different studios as well- we have run loop tests on the same gear in different facilities and the visual nonlinearities are very consistent with the same devices when they are given the same care.

And the fun part, in my opinion...
The GEQ and SongTec would absolutely classify as two of the 'cleanest' high end eq's in analog hardware. But, until they have been tested, analyzed, tested, sampled, edited, etc. no one ever rated them based on any visuals. I can speak from many years and thousandssssss of hours- analog is wonderful and the colorful signatures of devices are SO telling to why the digital algo version, even when similar, does not ever do them justice.

Mastering Engineers have used GML's and Sontec's with their ears and wallets for decades, never having looked to see if a 2kHz is actually in fact 2kHz, or whether +/-3dB is actually the case when the knob is turned to its position.

It is amazing the number of super high end devices, in perfect restored condition, barely move at their widest range of gain stages, by design, or move on a steady sloped volume change, meaning a 1/2dB may be marked as such- but it doesn't read in regular intervals at all. It is a blessing to be able to test, visualize, adjust- so that what is used in the software is actually the setting one hopes for. But, there are reasons that some people couldn't believe how different certain eq's sounded at certain settings- I am willing to bet they weren't anywhere close to dialing in the frequency expected or the amount of gain they thought. The cleaner designs, meaning those that have very little in the path, no transformers, etc. have the most issues in calibrating one level after the next.

I'm sorry ringo, but 'nasty digital grit' and 'anti-aliasing' regarding the VTM-M2.
These are simply not accurate statements.

The VTM-M2 is a completely original signal process design that I created for the purpose of generating the non-linearity that you can visualize. There is an extremely complex process of harmonic distortion that is always analyzing the input signal and fluctuating to adjust to the level, dynamics, change, speed, etc. If this process is removed- the visuals are clean as can be. The non-linearities are incredibly intentional and are the reason that it sounds the way it is designed to sound. Anti-aliasing is a completely different thing- it has nothing to do with the intentional processes I created with the intention of making a process in algo-form that could produce the complex analog processes that no one had gotten correct based either on the classic schematics-concept or through randomization- both which have flaws that do not sound authentic. I appreciate your interest, curiosity, attention to these details, but there is nothing unusual or unintended going on here- just excellence in reproducing the wonderful changes, variations, non-linear character of analog devices.

These are top notch representations of the sound of the gear at all of the various settings, and in analog terms they are pretty amazingly accurate up into the extreme highs and lows. I hope you will enjoy using them! :-)

God Bless You, Michael

Quote:

Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

In other words, these spikes are absolutely unique for CDSoundmaster. Haven't seen anything like this on any sampling from any other developer, high-end on otherwise.
Regarding VTM-M2, I remember several people, including developers, noticing the difference between harmonics and aliasing, except author. Sorry, cannot give much credit to your words after this.

I hope you will fix this spike problem, whatever it was, in future releases even if you haven't acknowledged it, which is understandable.
Old 14th February 2015
Gear Maniac

What a graceless reply to a very comprehensive, supportive and polite response from the developer.
Good manners cost nothing.
Old 14th February 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
In other words, these spikes are absolutely unique for CDSoundmaster. Haven't seen anything like this on any sampling from any other developer, high-end on otherwise.
Regarding VTM-M2, I remember several people, including developers, noticing the difference between harmonics and aliasing, except author. Sorry, cannot give much credit to your words after this.

I hope you will fix this spike problem, whatever it was, in future releases even if you haven't acknowledged it, which is understandable.
Very disrespectful and close-minded.

Last edited by ReckNC00; 14th February 2015 at 04:01 PM..
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
Very disrespectful and close-minded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by owen_musician View Post
What a graceless reply to a very comprehensive, supportive and polite response from the developer.
Good manners cost nothing.
Expected replies like this as no one is ever thankful for the alarm.

My intention was to warn people who are using (or considering using) this library, not playing word games with the developer or getting respect from someone. Anyone can see for yourself, and decide according to their own expierence, if they want convolving their audio with that. If you beleive developer, fine, ignore it, filter it, use 44.1, whatever.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search