The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 23rd October 2014
...not sure about that Reck...I did compare...
Old 23rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
I'd encourage everyone to check out the new Lindell plugins. They are really a step up in the "algo" sound, especially that compressor. There is a bit of that "weight" and "real" sound to these plugs that we're all familiar with through the ol' Nebula.

I'm sure if the PEX-500 EQ was Nebulized we'd see the usual benefits over the algo version, but they are still subtle and unobtrusive like an EQ should be.

Anyway, not trying to derail here but it's a free demo that y'all may enjoy.
I'm not sure what's under the hood there, but one of the reasons Neb is on top of the game is that it simulates the behavior in such fast mode (hence the CPU usage). To my understanding, the non-linearities are exactly the reason why it sounds so much more "3-D" and real than most plugins.

I guess more and more plugins are heading into that directions in general.
Old 23rd October 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
...not sure about that Reck...I did compare...
I took great care in not using any language to incite the idea of "as good as" or "better than"
Old 23rd October 2014
Gear Addict
I do think "that Nebula sound" is almost entirely due to the convolution approach (please no VVKT speech, I know the difference).

I think just simply the fact that Nebula is not "processing" the sound, so to speak, but rather adding or replacing it with sampled audio is the clincher.

There was a lengthy thread some time ago about "hazy compressors" that basically hinted at there being a ubiquitous "algo" sound. I totally believe this and wish more algo developers would study it.

It's not that the algos just "aren't there yet", it's that the process of algorithmic digital signal processing itself is the source of the problem.
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
I do think "that Nebula sound" is almost entirely due to the convolution approach (please no VVKT speech, I know the difference).

I think just simply the fact that Nebula is not "processing" the sound, so to speak, but rather adding or replacing it with sampled audio is the clincher.

There was a lengthy thread some time ago about "hazy compressors" that basically hinted at there being a ubiquitous "algo" sound. I totally believe this and wish more algo developers would study it.

It's not that the algos just "aren't there yet", it's that the process of algorithmic digital signal processing itself is the source of the problem.
If you actually read the stuff that the devs wrote, the secret is that the simulation is so fast and the accuracy of the harmonics. Apparently the tech (kernels) wasn't actually made for music software in the first place, but rather for professional medical purposes or something.

It's pretty odd if you look into it.
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9-pMQzPqbo

It's long, but very interesting. Lecture given by Giancarlo Del Sordo from Acustica Audio at SAE Institute London on 11th February 2014.
Old 24th October 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
If you actually read the stuff that the devs wrote, the secret is that the simulation is so fast and the accuracy of the harmonics. Apparently the tech (kernels) wasn't actually made for music software in the first place, but rather for professional medical purposes or something.

It's pretty odd if you look into it.
Hmm, maybe like for some type of scanning, MRI or similar. Cool.
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

I must say that the 5033 is still probably one of the best, if not THE best ITB equalizer I've heard so far.. the 88RS program behaves strangely and IMO the mids sound still way better on the 5033. Just dropping that on the master and putting just a tiny bit of ultra high boost makes a huge difference to the tonality.. the filters on the 88RS are great 'tho.

The SHQ harmonics preset from the Gemini G76 is INSANE btw! (only takes 48% of my CPU power I paired that with the Reapers' comp with max oversampling and some SSL-style compression.. mad. I don't know if the harmonics work correctly but it's all over the place, in a very good way.

great stuff.
Old 29th October 2014
Gear Nut

Tim p's u76 v2 has definitely got something tasty going on.
Old 29th October 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
I must say that the 5033 is still probably one of the best, if not THE best ITB equalizer I've heard so far.. the 88RS program behaves strangely and IMO the mids sound still way better on the 5033. Just dropping that on the master and putting just a tiny bit of ultra high boost makes a huge difference to the tonality.. the filters on the 88RS are great 'tho.

The SHQ harmonics preset from the Gemini G76 is INSANE btw! (only takes 48% of my CPU power I paired that with the Reapers' comp with max oversampling and some SSL-style compression.. mad. I don't know if the harmonics work correctly but it's all over the place, in a very good way.

great stuff.
Yeah, the Portico high shelf definitely reaches up into the stratosphere frequencies; sounds endless.
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Head

Which nebula libraries are everyones favorites currently?

I know this thread has loads of suggestions for which libraries are the best for each purpose, but I'm wondering how much of this has changed with the devs now using improved sampling methods and better convertors.
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Head

Which nebula libraries are everyones favorites currently?

I know this thread has loads of suggestions for which libraries are the best for each purpose, but I'm wondering how much of this has changed with the devs now using improved sampling methods and better convertors.
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

Not much for me.. the Geminis' new compressors are great, I haven't had the chance to try out the new Tim P. stuff yet, but it's without a doubt top notch.

I really don't have much use for new EQ's, consoles or preamps etc.. Now I'm just waiting for the Neb 4 for better usability and then it's just music, music and more music

EDIT: btw, there' a new update for Nebula out, for example, AU64 support for Nebula3 Server and some engine tweaks.
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Head

Amazing news, I can finally take the step to Logic X without having to worry about annoying wrappers!!

Which do you mean by Geminis latest? Is that the G76?
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'm using the G76 on vocals and G2500 on drums. They actually compress.
I guess I'm going to update to the server version next month myself (drops the price for Nebula 4 too in the future).

The devs recently said that "Nebula 4 is still a mirage on the horizon" and that "it's done when it's done" so it could be delayed badly. Absolutely no timeframe yet for that.
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Head

Have you been using the G2500 with the settings it loads with? or have you been changing anything?

How about individual drum compression, do you do this with an algo or have you been using a nebula comp?
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

Individual drum compression for the stuff I make is a complete hassle. As I make IDM, there can be up to 20-30 tracks on the drum group by itself. I usually have an extra kick layer outside the group which I sometimes compress with an algo plugins, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I also compress the snare inside the group if there is a problem of if the snare has too much attack.
I use the G2500 on the drum buss as it is, I have no clue about the presets, it's a complete chaos, I've been just browsing through them and using the one that fits.

Reminds me, I wish that AlexB would step up his compressor game (lol) and use similar methods than Tim and Gemini Audio..

Here's a typical setup that I'm using now (in case someone is interested):

Drums:

• 88RS line amp (driven)
• 88RS comp (for the tone, not really compressing)
• A800 tape (15ips)
• G2500 (for actual compression)
• 88RS EQ

Bass / Guitars:

• 88RS comp
• A800
• 88RS EQ

Pads etc:

• Stradipad
• A800
• (sometimes EQ/filters)

Vocals:

• 88RS mic pre (driven)
• 88RS comp
• A800
• G76
• 88RS EQ

Master:

• 88RS console (driven)
• 88RS EQ filter(s)
• 33609 comp
• RND 5033 EQ
• Otari w/ ATR tape (30ips)

I also finish the stuff with a Elysia Alpha running M/S compression in default settings auto mode (adds width, pop and punch).

I am no pro by any means, this is just something I've ended up with.
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Head

I'm looking to expand my collection of nebula compressors.

Based on what I've read here, my shortlist is:

CDS 160A
Tim P Complex
Tim P U76
Rayphlex
Cupwise 660A
Cupwise 609
Cupwise Slick 9k

Would anyone care to give me any advice on which 1/2/3 to choose? I make house and techno music.
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Head

CDS 160A
Tim P Complex
Tim P U76
Rayphlex
Cupwise 660A
Cupwise 609
Cupwise Slick 9k

Would anyone care to give me any advice on which 1/2/3 to choose? I make house and techno music.
Old 6th November 2014
Quote:
Individual drum compression for the stuff I make is a complete hassle. As I make IDM, there can be up to 20-30 tracks on the drum group by itself. I usually have an extra kick layer outside the group which I sometimes compress with an algo plugins, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I also compress the snare inside the group if there is a problem of if the snare has too much attack.
I use the G2500 on the drum buss as it is, I have no clue about the presets, it's a complete chaos, I've been just browsing through them and using the one that fits.

Reminds me, I wish that AlexB would step up his compressor game (lol) and use similar methods than Tim and Gemini Audio..

Here's a typical setup that I'm using now (in case someone is interested):

Drums:

• 88RS line amp (driven)
• 88RS comp (for the tone, not really compressing)
• A800 tape (15ips)
• G2500 (for actual compression)
• 88RS EQ

Bass / Guitars:

• 88RS comp
• A800
• 88RS EQ

Pads etc:

• Stradipad
• A800
• (sometimes EQ/filters)

Vocals:

• 88RS mic pre (driven)
• 88RS comp
• A800
• G76
• 88RS EQ

Master:

• 88RS console (driven)
• 88RS EQ filter(s)
• 33609 comp
• RND 5033 EQ
• Otari w/ ATR tape (30ips)

I also finish the stuff with a Elysia Alpha running M/S compression in default settings auto mode (adds width, pop and punch).

I am no pro by any means, this is just something I've ended up with.
I've got a massively powerful new Mac Pro running Ableton and I'm getting digital crackling like my CPU is overwhelmed with only a handful of Nebula instances running.

I can't do much to busses because I can only freeze and flatten them.

-----

Are you on Logic? Are these all ran live?

Would you mind explaining your workflow? Are you using NebulaMan or something?
Old 6th November 2014
move to Reaper
sorry for the OT
Old 6th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy663 View Post

CDS 160A
Tim P Complex
Tim P U76
Rayphlex
Cupwise 660A
Cupwise 609
Cupwise Slick 9k

Id prob get 2 Tim P - U76 and compex - then Cupwise Slick and 660a.
Old 6th November 2014
I think, beside the fact one can do whatever he wants with his money, having too many choices ends up with a confusing chase of the best sound where having just 2 will force to learn them better and to get the best out of them.
just my thought
Old 6th November 2014
double post
Old 6th November 2014
triple post
wth
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Head

Perfect, thanks a lot SWAN, I'll grab those tonight.

If I remember correctly, you were the first person to suggest I tried Nebula when I started a thread regarding more "Analog vibe" for my ITB mixes.

I seriously cannot thank you enough for this!!
Old 6th November 2014
Quote:

If I remember correctly, you were the first person to suggest I tried Nebula when I started a thread regarding more "Analog vibe" for my ITB mixes.

cool

they are some great compressor libs - you could easily mix whole records with them...really sound nice...
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:

I am not sure if you should be thanking SWAN or cursing!! I have gotten about an even spread of emails and PM's with "thanks" and "f%$k you" from people I have encouraged/tricked into trying (and becoming hopelessly addicted to) Nebula.....

So "you are welcome" and "I am so sorry for your loss (of money and sanity)" to all of them collectively!
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaySchmitt View Post
I've got a massively powerful new Mac Pro running Ableton and I'm getting digital crackling like my CPU is overwhelmed with only a handful of Nebula instances running.

I can't do much to busses because I can only freeze and flatten them.

-----

Are you on Logic? Are these all ran live?

Would you mind explaining your workflow? Are you using NebulaMan or something?
First thing: ditch Ableton Honestly, I was a long time user of Ableton and then tried a bunch of different DAWs and then ended up with Reaper. Haven't looked back since.

Also, increase the DSP buffer size on the MSTR page. And yeah, they all run live.

I have pre-made presets/chains inside Reaper which I can load by just right-clicking the channel.
Old 7th November 2014
+1
the only down side of having so many Nebula istances in one project is the loading time.. unless you have super fast RAM

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search