The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nebula must have
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
It's a mistake, before I used to recommend it at the beginning, however I changed this but forgot to delete that line. I'll change this now. Keep in mind if there is a update this could change.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification, confusion gone
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
I know it's not the same. But, their Electric Mistress is one of the coolest sounding modulation pedals I've heard in person. I wish we had more EH stuff in Nebulaland...

I still have NAT3. Every now and again I toy with the idea of sampling gear...
me too! There are some things I never sampled like a Scholz Acoustic Guitar Pedal. I love that thing, it would take a piezo under the bridge pickup of my 12-string which would sound piercing unless it went through that pedal.

Only trouble with that is the noise was too high, and I noticed there's a lot of opamps or chip amps that could be swapped with drop in replacements. I had a couple talks with Burr Brown like 25 years ago and they were generous to send reams of white papers and all that. But I never got around to it.

Sampling though, I love my Fireface's ADs but not the DAs. I just bought an inexpensive MOTU M4 (thanks Synth Guru for the tip!) and think that extraordinary DA could work fine and use Fireface's AD. Thinking out loud.

Sholtz had and has outrageously good ears, and this is piece of that.

Things can go good and go bad with income but I've never been to poor to dream
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
me too! There are some things I never sampled like a Scholz Acoustic Guitar Pedal. I love that thing, it would take a piezo under the bridge pickup of my 12-string which would sound piercing unless it went through that pedal.

Only trouble with that is the noise was too high, and I noticed there's a lot of opamps or chip amps that could be swapped with drop in replacements. I had a couple talks with Burr Brown like 25 years ago and they were generous to send reams of white papers and all that. But I never got around to it.

Sampling though, I love my Fireface's ADs but not the DAs. I just bought an inexpensive MOTU M4 (thanks Synth Guru for the tip!) and think that extraordinary DA could work fine and use Fireface's AD. Thinking out loud.

Sholtz had and has outrageously good ears, and this is piece of that.

Things can go good and go bad with income but I've never been to poor to dream

So, you still have yours?

We have both a Scholz Acoustic pedal brand new in the box (if memory serves) and one of the Rockman headphone amps floating around here. I'll look around for that Scholz unit when I get back to the shop. It might be in one of our extra buildings... (I work in a shop with lots of vintage pedals, vintage tube amps, guitars, and rack gear.) If I knew how to sample and had the templates, I'd be sampling and uploading all kinds of stuff. That was one of the main reasons that I bought Nebula, after all. But, it looks like I won't be doing that. (I just don't see myself going to Italy anytime in the near future. I shouldn't have to go there just to be able to sample gear, either. IMO, of course.)

I used to have a Fireface, too!

That brings back memories - because back when I had that unit, I was actually creative. I mostly just made music with what I had. There was a type of beauty in that.

Now, I've got Lavry Blacks and Blues. I bought them back when I had some really fine outboard gear and was doing hybrid mixing.

Are you gonna sample anything?
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-20200806_165940.jpg  

Last edited by wagz; 6th August 2020 at 11:04 PM..
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, you still have yours?

We have both a Scholz Acoustic pedal brand new in the box (if memory serves) and one of the Rockman headphone amps floating around here. I'll look around for that Scholz unit when I get back to the shop. It might be in one of our extra buildings... (I work in a shop with lots of vintage pedals, vintage tube amps, guitars, and rack gear.) If I knew how to sample and had the templates, I'd be sampling and uploading all kinds of stuff. That was one of the main reasons that I bought Nebula, after all. But, it looks like I won't be doing that. (I just don't see myself going to Italy anytime in the near future. I shouldn't have to go there just to be able to sample gear, either. IMO, of course.)

I used to have a Fireface, too!

That brings back memories - because back when I had that unit, I was actually creative. I mostly just made music with what I had. There was a type of beauty in that.

Now, I've got Lavry Blacks and Blues. I bought them back when I had some really fine outboard gear and was doing hybrid mixing.

Are you gonna sample anything?
Nice! Yes I still have the Fireface and the Acoustic pedal. There was a catastrophic storm here in 2007 with such high and low voltage it blew out my entire DAW from left to right including the Fireface and several other items, but in luck because -=everything=- was under warranty and that particular Fireface batch had problems anyway . Even today on my dresser is a in-line transformer to convert Fireface's low impedance out to high impedance for it to run into a pedal. The input of Fireface has a highZ so that was my plan and never got that far! I also wanted to sample my CryBaby with mods from Torres Engineering (I loved that place when I was more active playing guitar). But the terrible storm clipped my wings real bad.

I'm kind of stunned to see this page of Sholtz items, and I can't vouch but it's a nice site and brings back pretty good memories.

So it'll be an Acustica Pedal now

It's killing me though, TLA 74 or some chip like that? Its got to go .

My goal is at least one album which is 3/4 recorded and a lot of steps don't mind things like MIDI where my interface doesn't matter as much. In fact, nut I am , most years I'll record fireworks July 4th, and equal to the best was one I recorded with a laptop, rock band-type USB interface and rock band-type microphone. It' s so punchy I can't explain it.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Nice! Yes I still have the Fireface and the Acoustic pedal. There was a catastrophic storm here in 2007 with such high and low voltage it blew out my entire DAW from left to right including the Fireface and several other items, but in luck because -=everything=- was under warranty and that particular Fireface batch had problems anyway . Even today on my dresser is a in-line transformer to convert Fireface's low impedance out to high impedance for it to run into a pedal. The input of Fireface has a highZ so that was my plan and never got that far! I also wanted to sample my CryBaby with mods from Torres Engineering (I loved that place when I was more active playing guitar). But the terrible storm clipped my wings real bad.

I'm kind of stunned to see this page of Sholtz items, and I can't vouch but it's a nice site and brings back pretty good memories.

So it'll be an Acustica Pedal now

It's killing me though, TLA 74 or some chip like that? Its got to go .

My goal is at least one album which is 3/4 recorded and a lot of steps don't mind things like MIDI where my interface doesn't matter as much. In fact, nut I am , most years I'll record fireworks July 4th, and equal to the best was one I recorded with a laptop, rock band-type USB interface and rock band-type microphone. It' s so punchy I can't explain it.
I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had with the storm. But, it's cool that

everything was covered. Maybe you can get back to making music soon. At least you have goals, unlike me...
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had with the storm. But, it's cool that

everything was covered. Maybe you can get back to making music soon. At least you have goals, unlike me...
Great stuff! Yes, it's the TL074 I'm pretty sure that is what was used in the first place. I'm half tempted to make this a nice winter project.

As an afterthought, while I was not happy the Acoustic pedal had a bit of a higher noise floor, hindsight says the piezo pickup and real-good but "regular" guitar cord could have contributed, and maybe not as evident if it's the to-die-for DA/AD of the unit used for Green 4 sampling. The Acoustic pedal was real hard on batteries too and I may have used an AC power adapter and that could have contributed.

As for no goals, that's a good thing. I consider myself more of a patron of the Recording Arts & Sciences more than a producer, engineer or musician. I love good sound and because my dad owning record stores decades ago, I see that the best music brings together the best people.

So, I'm the Forrest Gump of audio & music . I'm grateful to work with heavy people in various capacities but I don't want to be famous and a target basically. Even with the best of intentions, good music can draw jealous and immature types and they're a drag and dangerous.

So maybe "watch what you wish for" proves a lack of goals as a pretty Zen thing right out of the box, if that make sense.
Old 7th August 2020
Hey guys,
What's the most soupy/gooey/liquidy sounding compressor in Nebula land? (or even Acqua land for that matter)
Cheers
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore View Post
Hey guys,
What's the most soupy/gooey/liquidy sounding compressor in Nebula land? (or even Acqua land for that matter)
Cheers
Not that I've tried all of them and might not have the same reference point as you, but imo Tim P U76, cream comp A, magenta C1 or D1(don't remember right now) or caribou comp I would try for that.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey guys,
Cheers
I'm interested to hear the responses because that could mean any number of things depending your point of reference. When I think gooey I think slow, opto style releases, and so I would say Tim P's OPTO on LA-2A settings.

RA6 on dual release can also be gooey, but it has that harder limiter edge. OPTO 2A is smooooth.
Old 9th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osse_87 View Post
Not that I've tried all of them and might not have the same reference point as you, but imo Tim P U76, cream comp A, magenta C1 or D1(don't remember right now) or caribou comp I would try for that.
I just purchased the TimP U76 due to this recommendation + the glorious skin that ceejay just released.

Still interested to hear more opinions of the most gooey sounding compressors in Nebula/Acqua land.
Particularly from people who've used hardware
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just purchased the TimP U76 due to this recommendation + the glorious skin that ceejay just released.

Still interested to hear more opinions of the most gooey sounding compressors in Nebula/Acqua land.
What's that Abbey Road compressor Waves did that was gooey? RS something? Incredible at the time, and I always wondered if the hardware has ever been sampled?

Also to mention now that you've got the U76 is the donationware Blue model from STN <- link if the site is up. Bluey for $20 or under (or over, it's donationware) and while it's said not to compress even though it looks like it is, it's fresh as all getout on vocals etc in conjunction with the U76.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Hope you will like it! Ceejays skin is a big improvement to workflow to be able to swap ratios on the fly, especially as this comp ends up on a lot of tracks in my projects.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Using MagicDeathEye paired with Henry O's Fairchild mojo library here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I love the sound of the preamp but prefer other options for compression. MDE has a fantastic groove and a huge sweet spot, and has become a go to over the mix too, along with Unisum.

Quote:
Pulsar Mu does the trick for me, spent some time blind AB testing it vs the hardware.

My goto mixbus tube combo is MagicDeathEye + Cupwise C660 passthrough.

For the sake of clarity, are you guys raving about the Magic Death Eye Stereo (black) or the Magic Death Eye (silver)? Which of the two do you prefer?

Would it be safe to assume that I'll probably want to pair it with some sort of tube tone? You both seem to be using it for the compression action, adding tube tone on top.

Since we're on vari-mu compressors, I'm considering adding an algo as an alternative to or replacement for my N4 FENIX programs. (Sometimes, I get fed up with all of the handicaps that N4 has.) I use a Thermionic Culture Earlybird 2.2 mic preamp. And, I've wanted a Phoenix compressor for decades...

For the folks that have tried the actual hardware:

How close are AlexB's FENIX libraries to the real deal? Can anything in software get me closer to the real Phoenix? (AA's Violet is nice. But, it's missing something.)

I'll test FENIX Red and Black again this weekend after tweaking my 'Setup' according to Alex's recommendations in the manual: "TRICK: to emulate the original sound closely, you should set the AHEAD to 5.4ms."

But, do you all know of any algo that will do this:

Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
For the folks that have tried the actual hardware:

How close are AlexB's FENIX libraries to the real deal? Can anything in software get me closer to the real Phoenix? (AA's Violet is nice. But, it's missing something.)
AlexB has no compressing comp's due to old tech with long RTE programs, whereas TimP and acqua has long been using a new technique with separation of pre and low (0.041ms) RTE instance for compression.

You just use Alex comps for passthrough sound and even then, they all with ripple and degrade FP due to very short length kernels.

We are all waiting for the new release of MFC GE, because he promised for a working compressor. If he succeeds, there is a chance that we will receive an update in the future for all of his compressors, including Thermionic Phoenix)
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

@ wagz - have you tested Kush AR-1?

It's based on the famous Altec RS124 (as the Lisson is) and sounds spot on. Great vid from our man @ Jeezo here:

Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlandsamuel.re View Post
AlexB has no compressing comp's due to old tech with long RTE programs, whereas TimP and acqua has long been using a new technique with separation of pre and low (0.041ms) RTE instance for compression.

You just use Alex comps for passthrough sound and even then, they all with ripple and degrade FP due to very short length kernels.

We are all waiting for the new release of MFC GE, because he promised for a working compressor. If he succeeds, there is a chance that we will receive an update in the future for all of his compressors, including Thermionic Phoenix)
Thanks. I really do hope that Alex can do it! I own several of his comp libraries: Fenix Red, Fenix Black, N54, N64, and 4K G.Comp. I'd love it if he could get them to all to both function and sound much closer to the hardware.

His GE updates were definitely an improvement. But, God only knows how long it would take him to work through his process of re-sampling and tweaking his GE versions to get them just right. "Everything takes time."

Logically, he'll likely be starting with the biggest sellers in his catalog, right? I'm not complaining. But, it could be years before I see FENIX GE, depending on how things go.

Quote:
@ wagz - have you tested Kush AR-1?

It's based on the famous Altec RS124 (as the Lisson is) and sounds spot on. Great vid from our man @ Jeezo here:

No. I haven't tested it. I kept seeing AR-1 written on posts, but had no idea that it was a Kush comp. Thanks for letting me know.

By the way, which MDE do you prefer? Black or silver?
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

top secret leaked

Don't ask me, can't say a word, just wait a week or so
It's a new brand new lib, not released previously.
Just a hint - this one is a mastering aimed one.
Not much of this we have for Nebula.
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post

Dope
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Please be the ATR-102!
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:

Intrigued! I wonder if this has anything to do with TimP's upcoming release

Looks like it's some sort of tape plugin. I'm still yet to find my preferred mastering tape, maybe this will be it!!
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Please be the ATR-102!
That’s honestly the only one that EVERYONE goes for. Sighs.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
That’s honestly the only one that EVERYONE goes for. Sighs.
There's a gap in the market for it - there's no native version available. Only UAD. Guessing IK are working on one though, it had a lot of requests.

What would your choice be?
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

Nice.
Are you going to do the CDSM Apex tapes as well some day?
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_of_ours View Post
Nice.
Are you going to do the CDSM Apex tapes as well some day?
No doubt! It's on the voting list. And i planning to run 2nd voting poll next day.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way, which MDE do you prefer? Black or silver?
I can't speak for b0se, but I like the silver the most. The compression action is fantastic and there's a subtle brightening of things, but not in a bad way. It's still very transparent at low reduction. And then there's the hidden pinup/Laura setting that can be more aggressive (this setting is useful on bass and a number of other things).

The black version is a bit more relaxed and has some extra features (high pass filter, low and high EQ, harmonics control), and I thought it was really good, but I just find I have most of what I need covered with the silver.

Edit: I do remember really liking the high pass+EQ in the black version a lot .... Might try it again.

Last edited by rosewood123; 11th August 2020 at 02:16 AM..
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I can't speak for b0se, but I like the silver the most. The compression action is fantastic and there's a subtle brightening of things, but not in a bad way. It's still very transparent at low reduction. And then there's the hidden pinup/Laura setting that can be more aggressive (this setting is useful on bass and a number of other things).

The black version is a bit more relaxed and has some extra features (high pass filter, low and high EQ, harmonics control), and I thought it was really good, but I just find I have most of what I need covered with the silver.

Edit: I do remember really liking the high pass+EQ in the black version a lot .... Might try it again.
The Black version has the hidden Laura setting too

I have both, mainly because the Silver one was first.
I always use the black version now, love it.
Old 11th August 2020
What is this "hidden Laura setting" you guys speak of?

Also, is there a facebook group for Nebula?
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is this "hidden Laura setting" you guys speak of?
Hidden option to significantly change the character of the compression, more aggressive.
Without changing any other settings you will get/see more GR.

In the Silver addition you click on the MDE logo on the left of the GUI.
That is when Laura appears in the meter on the GUI.

In the Black version you click on the orange light.
Laura does not appear in the meter though like in the Silver one.
But the word Laura appears to the right of the L above the left meter.

Last edited by Beatworld; 11th August 2020 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: update
Old 11th August 2020
Cubase issue render in place

Cubase users please help. When i try to render in place an audio track with a few N4 inserts, the audio on the rendered file has a few milliseconds latency with the original audio file. Is this normal for Cubase to add the plugin latencies to the rendered file? Never have such problem in Pro Tools while committing N4 inserts.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, is there a facebook group for Nebula?
Not an authority on this, but “no”. You should join Azzimov’s Skins group though.
📝 Reply