The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Addict
I know exactly what is meant by "snappy" in regards to the 33609, and really most Nebula compressors of that "first generation".

The 33609 was a big step forward compared to the rest. But still, the harder the transient, the louder the "cough" in the attack. I'd have to assume this is due to the envelope speed, or program rate... whatever it is. The thing that is being directly addressed by the Acustica team as we speak (Black Comp - Nebula 4).

I did find that printing the 33609 at the mega-super-high quality mode did help this quite a bit. I just tired of printing tracks like this and I like to mix into buss compression, so that was a no go.
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback. I do have the 33609 comp and I agree it does sound amazing but for dance music I'm not sure. I also run all my stuff through a Allen & Heath Xone V6 vacuum tube DJ Mixer (very rare, sounds incredible). In the past I've found the Neve sound does not gel well with the tubes...too sweet and sibilant. I've found it best to do some basic cuts with a linear freq EQ cuts then feed the V6 with clean, up front SSL style compression with a perhaps a tad of nebula tape/bus saturation then let's the tubes smooth everything out. Once back in the box I apply some nebula EQs boosts which really brings out the character of the V6.

Some programs I like are NAG tape and powered bus from STN, API and SSL 4k/9k console from alexb, the Neumann EQs from AITB, vintage master EQ and API 5500 (probably my favorite library) from AlexB, and a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten.

I'm wondering if Nebula compression is really necessary given all the vibey EQs and saturation libraries I use. I'm intrigued by the Gemini API 2500 but I hate nebula programs that are huge and overly complex. I have the Glue and the Elysia Alpha compressor...not sure what else would be good because you'd want it to be highly oversampled for mastering...
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Some clips of the U76 here, Someone even made a comparison to a hardware. Bass drum and bass not a problem with this library.
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Nut

I actually like the Orange EQ. I found a little goes a long way with that one. I mostly put the bandwidth at the widest setting (or sometimes medium) , and adjust just a few dB. Due to the interface that's just a few pixels ;-) But I do like it's sound.

I actually only bought it because of the payback deal, with which you basically get it for free if you plan to buy something else. Haven't decided if I want to wait for magenta or black, or get blue now. I don't want to deal with nebula, but I like the acquas.
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Grabbed the V2 of Modern Tube Console yesterday and gave it a whirl - really nice for occasions where one of the other million or so amazing Nebula programs doesn't work

Good times...
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
In the past I've found the Neve sound does not gel well with the tubes...too sweet and sibilant.
The modern Neve stuff sounds very different from the vintage gear, actually the 88RS line does a slight reduction on the high end and adds a quite a bit of fat on the low end.

But yeah, if you want heavy pumping compression, 33609 is definitely not the way to go (or Nebula in general as it is right now). Better just stick with some good algo plugin paired with some saturation from the Neb.

I personally wouldn't use Nebula tube gear on the master for "dance music" because I don't like what it does to the low end but to each their own..
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Hey man, do all the OTHER drum & bass classics sound so good?

Sometimes it's all about the skillz

I had tons of your old 12''/EP stuff on my HDD but I had a crash.. things like "Paranormal Apachetivity" :bow: I think you have innovated a lot of people.

those 12'' are da bomb.. just sayin'
Thanks!

So yeah, I got the Alex B MFC…put the Air & Punch one on the master…weighty!!
Old 11th October 2014
Tim P has done a quick video showing his recent 1176 program - you can see its quite authentic and natural sounding...

Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Tim P has done a quick video showing his recent 1176 program - you can see its quite authentic and natural sounding...

Very good sounding indeed!
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

JESUS that sounds incredible. What program is that?
I have a full paid for version and a **** load of paid for libraries but i never ever use Nebula. I dont think Ive set it u right from the start and have tried a few times with no success.
So when is Neb 4 coming out and will it be easier to set up. In fact if its not dead simple and so is the rest I will finally give up on this. Im a musician not a computer scientist... and Ill continue to admire from afar
Old 11th October 2014
Here for the gear

I was wondering if the Nebula experts could answer a question for me. In my downloads section it says Nebula 3 pro is active and has the download arrow but when i click on it it asks for a password to download. i am not sure if i have Nebula 3 or Nebula 3 pro is there any way to tell which version i have.

Thanks
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blused View Post
I was wondering if the Nebula experts could answer a question for me. In my downloads section it says Nebula 3 pro is active and has the download arrow but when i click on it it asks for a password to download. i am not sure if i have Nebula 3 or Nebula 3 pro is there any way to tell which version i have.

Thanks
EDIT: never mind, I read that too quickly. Sorry.

Not sure what you're asking here, but the password for the dropbox should be located in the upper left corner. Just copypaste that into the field. If it doesn't show up, try a different browser.
Old 12th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
JESUS that sounds incredible. What program is that?
I have a full paid for version and a **** load of paid for libraries but i never ever use Nebula. I dont think Ive set it u right from the start and have tried a few times with no success.
So when is Neb 4 coming out and will it be easier to set up. In fact if its not dead simple and so is the rest I will finally give up on this. Im a musician not a computer scientist... and Ill continue to admire from afar
its Tim P U76 programs. They are 1176 - and he has some other compressors at similar level...its very cheap - £16 - give it a try! You only need to update to the latest version - then load the program - not too hard to set up...

There will be aqua plugins coming soon but they will be more expensive and there are lots of excellent programs available now for not much...
Old 12th October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
EDIT: never mind, I read that too quickly. Sorry.

Not sure what you're asking here, but the password for the dropbox should be located in the upper left corner. Just copypaste that into the field. If it doesn't show up, try a different browser.
Thanks ultra i did not see the serial number there
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

I'm pretty damn bummed that the Bricasti didn't happen.. now my Neb reverb is just sitting there, pretty useless.. I rarely use room simulations, even the EMT.. I just need that ONE huge tailed preset. If we have the capabilities, where are the Eventides, Lexicons, Bricastis..?

What I understood is that the Bricasti has some modulation going on and the Nebula cannot reproduce that. What's the point having super-accurate simulation of the actual "reverbaration" if some of the most important features of these units cannot be simulated?

Still waiting..
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm pretty damn bummed that the Bricasti didn't happen.. now my Neb reverb is just sitting there, pretty useless.. I rarely use room simulations, even the EMT.. I just need that ONE huge tailed preset. If we have the capabilities, where are the Eventides, Lexicons, Bricastis..?

What I understood is that the Bricasti has some modulation going on and the Nebula cannot reproduce that. What's the point having super-accurate simulation of the actual "reverbaration" if some of the most important features of these units cannot be simulated?

Still waiting..
we'll improve reverbs after compressors. Anyway, vnxt reverbs are amazing. He just released an other gem
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

That's awesome news, will there be some type of modulation?

I don't need any more room simulations or anything like that. What I need is a massive, otherworldy hall type of verb, 5-6 sec tail as my MAIN reverb . Out of all the libraries, there are like two or three presets that are officially over 5 seconds but in reality are not. STN Lex480 and TC6000, AITB E.A.R.. tried them all, no cake.

Thanks for all the hard work you're putting into this BTW, can't wait for the new stuff, I really hope you guys blow up the bank!
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those Aqcua plugins have terrible latency BTW
Not only that, but any time i use these plugins in a session, it take FOREVER for the DAW to load that session. Sometimes 5 minutes.
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird View Post
Not only that, but any time i use these plugins in a session, it take FOREVER for the DAW to load that session. Sometimes 5 minutes.
Are you talking about the Acqua plugins? If yes well, this is the first time Im hearing such thing and really sorry to hear that you're experiencing this but from all the people (including Beta Acustica Family), no one ever experience a loading project that had neither Nebula nor the Acqua that takes 5 minutes to load up. It's the opposite, with the latest Acqua plugins as well as Nebula, the loading time has been amazingly increased as well as preset library loading is really really fast.

You should honestly maybe post your issue to the Nebula/Acqua acustica forum and someone there will be able to give the support as an Acqua/nebula owner.

Again sorry to hear about your loading time issue
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Are you talking about the Acqua plugins? If yes well, this is the first time Im hearing such thing and really sorry to hear that you're experiencing this but from all the people (including Beta Acustica Family), no one ever experience a loading project that had neither Nebula nor the Acqua that takes 5 minutes to load up. It's the opposite, with the latest Acqua plugins as well as Nebula, the loading time has been amazingly increased as well as preset library loading is really really fast.

You should honestly maybe post your issue to the Nebula/Acqua acustica forum and someone there will be able to give the support as an Acqua/nebula owner.

Again sorry to hear about your loading time issue
Appreciate that. Yeah Aqua, Red, and Orange. Ive had a couple of issues actually, and have a ticket open. They were super cool over there.

Its not really a busy mix time for me right now and i havent been sweating it too much. Just trying to get some of the smaller issues worked out before attempting to make purchases on the more expensive items. I really hope they get a demo worked out

As a side note and one i'll discuss on a ticket - Red takes about 15 seconds to activate once it has been selected as a plugin choice. Orange about 20-30 seconds, and Aquavox is almost instant. I7 quad core 16GB Ramm Win7.

Kind of you to be concerned.
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

How does the pay back policy work on Orange? It says you receive a discount coupon, but it doesnt say for how much. I was surprised when ultra171 (i think) mentioned that it works out to be free?? I was under the impression you just got $10 back...i dunno..it doesnt really say what you get. I realize that you need to send your coupon code in.
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
How does the pay back policy work on Orange? It says you receive a discount coupon, but it doesnt say for how much. I was surprised when ultra171 (i think) mentioned that it works out to be free?? I was under the impression you just got $10 back...i dunno..it doesnt really say what you get. I realize that you need to send your coupon code in.
I said that

If you mail AcusticaAudio your ordernumber after purchasing OrangeEQ (which is discounted to €20 right now), you'll get a vouchercode which you can use on your next purchase. That voucher code is good for €30.

So if you're planning to get something else from them (like the upcoming Magenta, compressor, or even Nebula), you'll basically get OrangeEQ for free.
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's awesome news, will there be some type of modulation?

I don't need any more room simulations or anything like that. What I need is a massive, otherworldy hall type of verb, 5-6 sec tail as my MAIN reverb . Out of all the libraries, there are like two or three presets that are officially over 5 seconds but in reality are not. STN Lex480 and TC6000, AITB E.A.R.. tried them all, no cake.

Thanks for all the hard work you're putting into this BTW, can't wait for the new stuff, I really hope you guys blow up the bank!
yes we can do it now
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Appreciate that. Yeah Aqua, Red, and Orange. Ive had a couple of issues actually, and have a ticket open. They were super cool over there.

Its not really a busy mix time for me right now and i havent been sweating it too much. Just trying to get some of the smaller issues worked out before attempting to make purchases on the more expensive items. I really hope they get a demo worked out

As a side note and one i'll discuss on a ticket - Red takes about 15 seconds to activate once it has been selected as a plugin choice. Orange about 20-30 seconds, and Aquavox is almost instant. I7 quad core 16GB Ramm Win7.

Kind of you to be concerned.

your one seems a bug. Are you speaking about a single instance of red? 15 seconds? in any case yes, you'l get support using tickets. Red eq is free for this exact purpose, you can test issues before buying: here red loads in less than 1 second, there is no apparent reason why acquavox should load quickly and red not.

edit: contact me, maybe I have a solution. Ask to enrique (the support ticket) to put in touch with me directly
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
yes we can do it now
Holy ****! I really hope that Olonga gives that Bricasti another try..

Dirtbird, there's definitely something wrong with your installation. Also, you can reduce the latency by editing the DSPBuffer size in the XML file. I just hope that AA would have mentioned this somewhere in the first place..

Looking good mangs.
Old 14th October 2014
Quote:
yes we can do it now
great! so we could have a modulated reverb like the EMT250?
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
great! so we could have a modulated reverb like the EMT250?
yes, exactly. Also true stereo and other common features
Old 14th October 2014
Quote:
awesome...I love the 250...that in an aqua would be sweet...its quite a simple verb...

I wonder if this will re-start the free Bricasti project...
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

So can any betatesters or anyone in the know tell me whether I should pre-purchase the Magenta today? I mean, is it good?
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Niiiiiiice

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search