The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

Great thread, i'm definitely checking out nebula one of these days... will probably buy some alexB the first day i get Neb. pro 3...
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

Still waiting on Neb 4. Im seriously hoping its a bunch easier to use. Im also hoping that my libraries are gonna work as the current limitations obviously effect the way stuff is made in the first place. So the muli-band comps, eq's (particularly) and the list goes on.
I still think that the Neb method is the best around and I hope its developed as far as it can.
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
33609 = MFD from Alex B?
"Smooth 609A" from Cupwise.. All the "Modern Flagship" stuff is AMS Neve 88RS gear.

BTW, I'll say this again: The Stradipad is freaking priceless. Just throw that baby on pads/strings, activate the "analog" button, crank up the "warmth" to taste (yeah, I know..) and you're usually good to go. Saves a ton of CPU juice too. No more tweaking those goddamn muddy pads.

Those Aqcua plugins have terrible latency BTW, even worse than Nebula @2048 DSP.. I hope they implement some sort of low latency mode.
Old 16th September 2014
you can adjust the latency of aqua plugins by opening the xml file in a test editor and adjusting the DSPBUFFER parameter...but naturally its takes more CPU the lower the buffer...
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
you can adjust the latency of aqua plugins by opening the xml file in a test editor and adjusting the DSPBUFFER parameter...but naturally its takes more CPU the lower the buffer...
Really? I thought this was only Nebula feature..

Thanks!

BTW Acustica Audio, how about full 88RS setup in Acqua versions? You would murder the plugin market
Old 16th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Really? I thought this was only Nebula feature..

Thanks!

BTW Acustica Audio, how about full 88RS setup in Acqua versions? You would murder the plugin market
its a nice idea but aqua is limited to 4 nebulae at the mo...although I think that could be increasing...they got some cool 4 band eq upcoming....
Old 17th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
its a nice idea but aqua is limited to 4 nebulae at the mo...although I think that could be increasing...they got some cool 4 band eq upcoming....
I meant Acqua versions of all the MFx gear.. also, AA should hire White Tie to do the skins

More on the techniques, I was checking out some descriptions about the CDSM R2R tapes, Studer A800 meant for tracking, Otari meant for mastering, so I decided to drop Studers @15ips+VTM on bus groups and Otari @30ips+VTM on the master. Makes mixing way easier, getting some pretty good results. The VTM handles the tape dynamics nicely and cuts some peaks.

The tapes pretty much kill the ultra lows and I remembered reading something how some pro engineer uses a Pultec after the tape, so I decided to try that. Just a .5-1db bump on the 20c gives it a nice, warm body. So now my master looks something like this:

- 88RS console (driven pretty hard)
- 33609 Comp
- 88RS EQ mid cut
- Otari w/ ATM tape @30ips
- VTM-M2
- Pultec EQP1

Same **** goes for other gear too, I tried similar settings with just the Reaper native plugs and Bootsy's tape emu. Sounds great, but Nebula's stereo image is unbeatable.. man I wish somebody had told me this stuff 10 years ago :D
Old 17th September 2014
ok I get it-I guess you like the neve stuff a lot but...they have loads of aqua products coming up - new stuff...
Old 17th September 2014
Just one question on the experienced pro users of Nebula and the ones which have knowledge of the recent Alex B consoles. I do own the Modern White Console besides lots of the other Nebula 3rd party libraries. But to be honest, with the console emulation I feel the least instant satisfaction - compared to eqs and compression and tape programs which I absolutely love. It might be that I also use VCC and (rarely) NLS and sometimes Britson and Satson and not getting yet the real benefit of the Nebula consoles. (Maybe one reason is that I bounce the Nebula programs and therefore have a hard time A/B-ing.
Anyhow, here are my questions: I now want to get one of the new consoles from Alex B: the Modern Flagship or the Modern Tube V2. Can only afford one of them.
a) Which one do you think is the most rewarding when already using VCC? One could argue that there are already quite a few Neve emulations in my portfolio and I already have the Modern White (which is only 96 and not 44.1 - and does that make a difference as I am working in 44.1?)
b) Is the AMS Tube from Alex B in anyway similar to the RC Tube of Slate? (Don't think so).
c) Is it worth getting any of the two anyhow if I not have managed the Modern White yet?

I am doing mostly Rock an Pop Music, lots of acustic instruments with drum samples and some synths.
Thank you very much for your help, Geret
Old 18th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Just one question on the experienced pro users of Nebula and the ones which have knowledge of the recent Alex B consoles. I do own the Modern White Console besides lots of the other Nebula 3rd party libraries. But to be honest, with the console emulation I feel the least instant satisfaction - compared to eqs and compression and tape programs which I absolutely love. It might be that I also use VCC and (rarely) NLS and sometimes Britson and Satson and not getting yet the real benefit of the Nebula consoles. (Maybe one reason is that I bounce the Nebula programs and therefore have a hard time A/B-ing.
Anyhow, here are my questions: I now want to get one of the new consoles from Alex B: the Modern Flagship or the Modern Tube V2. Can only afford one of them.
a) Which one do you think is the most rewarding when already using VCC? One could argue that there are already quite a few Neve emulations in my portfolio and I already have the Modern White (which is only 96 and not 44.1 - and does that make a difference as I am working in 44.1?)
b) Is the AMS Tube from Alex B in anyway similar to the RC Tube of Slate? (Don't think so).
c) Is it worth getting any of the two anyhow if I not have managed the Modern White yet?

I am doing mostly Rock an Pop Music, lots of acustic instruments with drum samples and some synths.
Thank you very much for your help, Geret
I have both new consoles and it is subtle but my mix sounds very good and I dont use tape much anymore. its a good thing.. I would say the tube is more colored for reasons. you have to know that the AMS88RS it is made to be a very clean console and its mainly use for film score so you see the point... and I dont know what you mean by AMS Tube.. the modern tube console its not AMS Neve at all . its based on the TL Audio VTC

hope that helps friend
Old 18th September 2014
Lives for gear

Subtle is such a subjective term.. The RND 5088 (MWC) is made to be ultra clean, it just mainly gives you better stereo image and some minor transformer sweetening. 88RS sounds fatter and when driven pretty hard (with the GDRIVE) it sounds anything but subtle IMO, adds some body and makes things "pop" a bit.

Depends on the material, for modern stuff, I'd go with the 88RS. If you want more grind-y classic rock sound, use the tubes. *shrug*
Old 18th September 2014
Thanks for your answers! @Patrick: Yeah, sure I meant the TL Audio with the Tube Console - was a bit late last night. @ ultra171: Good to know, that you say that MWC or RND 5088 is ultra clean with only minor sweetening. That's maybe why I had a hard time listening to a constant and prominent effect. When the 88RS is fatter then the MWC I might go for the MFC first - and then get the Tubes later. That is always what is happening...

Continued question: Do you use the Alex B Consoles on each channel with the different line input variations, and then on groups and on the master? Do you bounce all channel tracks before going into mixing? Or can you handle that many instances?
This might raise another question on the side line. Does the bouncing of the tracks that I do after tracking theoretically deteriotate the audio quality despite floating point calculation? I am still 32-bit...
And a last one: your ultra logo is hebrew saying ultra, isn't it?
Thanks again, Geret
Old 18th September 2014
Thanks for your answers! @Patrick: Yeah, sure I meant the TL Audio with the Tube Console - was a bit late last night. @ ultra171: Good to know, that you say that MWC or RND 5088 is ultra clean with only minor sweetening. That's maybe why I had a hard time listening to a constant and prominent effect. When the 88RS is fatter then the MWC I might go for the MFC first - and then get the Tubes later. That is always what is happening...

Continued question: Do you use the Alex B Consoles on each channel with the different line input variations, and then on groups and on the master? Do you bounce all channel tracks before going into mixing? Or can you handle that many instances?
This might raise another question on the side line. Does the bouncing of the tracks that I do after tracking theoretically deteriotate the audio quality despite floating point calculation? I am still 32-bit...
And a last one: your ultra logo is hebrew saying ultra, isn't it?
Thanks again, Geret
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

Nebula Program Libraries - ABOUT

I put some before/after samples..Use them mostly for clean material
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulguitar View Post
Nebula Program Libraries - ABOUT

I put some before/after samples..Use them mostly for clean material
Cool new site mate any plans of future nebula programs?
Old 26th September 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
I meant Acqua versions of all the MFx gear.. also, AA should hire White Tie to do the skins

More on the techniques, I was checking out some descriptions about the CDSM R2R tapes, Studer A800 meant for tracking, Otari meant for mastering, so I decided to drop Studers @15ips+VTM on bus groups and Otari @30ips+VTM on the master. Makes mixing way easier, getting some pretty good results. The VTM handles the tape dynamics nicely and cuts some peaks.

The tapes pretty much kill the ultra lows and I remembered reading something how some pro engineer uses a Pultec after the tape, so I decided to try that. Just a .5-1db bump on the 20c gives it a nice, warm body. So now my master looks something like this:

- 88RS console (driven pretty hard)
- 33609 Comp
- 88RS EQ mid cut
- Otari w/ ATM tape @30ips
- VTM-M2
- Pultec EQP1

Same **** goes for other gear too, I tried similar settings with just the Reaper native plugs and Bootsy's tape emu. Sounds great, but Nebula's stereo image is unbeatable.. man I wish somebody had told me this stuff 10 years ago :D
nice have to try this! tnx
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

I added the 88RS comp before the 33609 and EAR reverb master ambience (good god this thing rocks!) to the setup above. The 88RS just firms up the bass so well that I just can't take it off, the 33609 is known for it's smoothness so the 88RS adds some cool in-your-face aggression. The reverb adds "naturality" and "bigness"
Otherwise it's the same for a few months now, it's nice, I usually just have to dial in the EQ gain, comp thresholds (I don't usually even touch the attack & release) and the amount of the Pultec. Otherwise it's usually good to go, makes life helluva lot easier.

ION, for those of you who don't read the AA forums, apparently the Nebula 4 will (unsurprisingly) delayed..

Quote:
by Support » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:47 pm

As we talked in AA HQ last week, Nebula4 has delay. Any way you should product upgrade to Nebula3 Server, Nebula3 Server is VST 64 bits and also has RAM sharing feature and CORE5 + VSTGUI4. We always ask you for the difference of the price.
Quote:
by giancarlo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:40 pm

we are working on the tech... the first time after seven years... nebula is coming out a complete different beast.... meanwhile we are releasing skinned libraries, acquas, they will be libraries featuring a gui for nebula4
So acquas are a good investment... they work now, they will work even better tomorrow
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Bumping this again.. There should be some super official fanboy thread.

After some intense listening, I still wasn't happy with the instrument "separation" so I decided to be arsed with the console preamps on each buss and drive those babies pretty hard.. result: super punchy mix. Even punchier than a lot of the commercial releases I listen to. Needless to say, I'm pretty damn happy with the results. It also adds even some more width, so I decided to drop the reverb off the master. Having some pretty bad RAM issues 'tho (8GB), will probably be purchasing more RAM and the Nebula Server edition next week.

I actually love the AA upgrading system, you can slowly work your way towards the better versions and not blow all your money at once
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

They should consider a ssl 4000e acqua

Given their popularity (vcc, console 1)
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
After some intense listening, I still wasn't happy with the instrument "separation" so I decided to be arsed with the console preamps on each buss and drive those babies pretty hard.. result: super punchy mix.
Which ones did you use?
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
Which ones did you use?
The 88RS Line In for instruments and MIC for vocals.. I think the Mic is a bit more saturated, gives that nice little push and presence when driven really hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
They should consider a ssl 4000e acqua

Given their popularity (vcc, console 1)
Yeah well, it's like the most popular compressor ever. I'm just waiting to see how the new tech actually manages compression..

EDIT: Damn, GS being extremely glitchy today..
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 88RS Line In for instruments and MIC for vocals.. I think the Mic is a bit more saturated, gives that nice little push and presence when driven really hard..
Hmmm, what company? I tried Googling, but not sure… Alex B?
Link pls! :-)
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmm, what company? I tried Googling, but not sure… Alex B?
Link pls! :-)
Yeah, AlexB Modern Flagship Console bundle, it's a complete steal IMO.

What do you need them for anyway? your albums sound great
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, AlexB Modern Flagship Console bundle, it's a complete steal IMO.

What do you need them for anyway? your albums sound great
Haha, thanks, but nah, always after better sound – especially today, got extremely critical (most of the old stuff sounds ****).
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, thanks, but nah, always after better sound – especially today, got extremely critical (most of the old stuff sounds ****).
Hey man, do all the OTHER drum & bass classics sound so good?

Sometimes it's all about the skillz

I had tons of your old 12''/EP stuff on my HDD but I had a crash.. things like "Paranormal Apachetivity" :bow: I think you have innovated a lot of people.

those 12'' are da bomb.. just sayin'
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Looking to get back into the nebula game as I've got some mastering projects coming up. I'm set for EQs but what are people liking for compressors? I'm doing dance music. The slick 9k from cupwise sounds pretty good. Has anyone heard the API 2500 from Gemini audio? Looking for snappy gluey kinda stuff
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Well, I use the 33609, but it's definitely not snappy. The new AMS Neve 88RS comp is pretty damn snappy and does compression better than the old programs. I still end up using an algo plugin after the Nebula, it just doesn't do fast attacks well and high ratios well. API 2500 sounds great. There are tons of great options.
Old 10th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
Looking to get back into the nebula game as I've got some mastering projects coming up. I'm set for EQs but what are people liking for compressors? I'm doing dance music. The slick 9k from cupwise sounds pretty good. Has anyone heard the API 2500 from Gemini audio? Looking for snappy gluey kinda stuff
I think Tim P compex could be good for this - using the hpf and mixing in the dry signal...punchy...I didnt like Gemini 2500...too many programs and patchy performance...
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Maniac

After i tried the aqua-eqs and many nebula eqs... this here would be my choice:

1. Coolteq EQp1 (on Bassdrum amazing!)
2. Blue EQ (useful on guitars, bass, voice, overheads - a bit taste of the red eq but even better!)
3. Red EQ (very cool on guitars and bass... and freeware!)

...also good but no must haves:
3. Silk EQ (not as good as i hoped, but sometimes useful.. for example low or highpass)
4. Orange EQ (not useful! don't like sound and behavior... but for 20 bucks okay. In my next live i would save the money

library EQs:
Many of the AITB EQs are good! Massive Passive... Doc Fear and so on...

Tapes:

1. Nag-Tape @15 speed and -10db
2. Aphex Tape Demo (on guitars sometimes nice)
3. Colour Tape (standard nebula) great on drums!!! But sometimes artifacts.

Console
MFC (is ok - does slightly better the sound and gives punch to mix)

Compressor
i really wait for the Black Comp, because all nebula comps have often problems with bassdrum, snare and bass... can't handle strong peaks... and we need peaks to hit the limiter :D But the Black Comp will do it hopefully. For all other things i use a Neve Comp by AITB.

Reverbs:
still testing and searching...
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Nut

@flipnaut: check out TimP new U76, it's great! And for reverb EAR is great ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search