The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 10th April 2014
I think you need to edit the xml to be able to get more than 10ms in TimeD mode?
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I think you need to edit the xml to be able to get more than 10ms in TimeD mode?
Correct
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Yeah, I know, that's why it's weird. I remember the devs saying that you shouldn't even be using the SPLITH mode b/c it's causing some problems with the kernels, and also 2.2ms (the default minimum?) is way too little for any EQ program.

It's no biggie, it takes like 15 seconds to change the settings and save as default, but it's kinda weird 'tho. I'd rather run the programs in 50ms FREQD than some very short TIMED rates.

Well, if you want to get complicated :D, I usually

1) Switch to "classic" (the switches are upside-down so it's even more confusing, so the display says "SPLITH" when it's actually using the classic mode) if the settings are messed up like this to begin with.
2) being in NORMAL mode (once again, the display says ECONO because ^), I set the clean kernels (both, TIMED and FREQD) to 50ms.
3) Switch to ECONO (for tracking, editing, basic workflow)
4) Save

this way, I can easily flip to TIMED mode by just switching between NORMAL <-> ECONO with just one click for rendering. I usually just do it for drums and master, but it's a good basic setup for any settings.

I hope this wasn't too complicated ;P

The MFQ works wonders with the default 18kHz cut on the drums, just to shave off those pesky ultra-highs for more clarity. It certainly SOUNDS like it was designed to do just that. Just what the doctor ordered
great tip with economy mode you saved me a lot of time thanks man!
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jure24 View Post
great tip with economy mode you saved me a lot of time thanks man!
Glad to help, that's just one one workflow improvement I've come up with. What would be even more god given would be some type of global command to switch ALL the Nebula instances from ECONO to NORMAL with just one click, but I guess that would be a little too much to ask.. at least at this point.

One thing also.. I couldn't be arsed to change all the EQ tweaks from the good ol' 5033 to MFQ because (honestly) the 5033 mid range sounds just as good or even better as the MFQ. Also the Q-settings sound wildly different to my ears. The filters are WAY better/fatter (steeper?) with the MFQ 'tho for modern stuff.

The MFQ presets are also more user friendly and much more comprehensible.

But yeah, blah blah blah, *insert technical bs here*, happy music making
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Glad to help, that's just one one workflow improvement I've come up with. What would be even more god given would be some type of global command to switch ALL the Nebula instances from ECONO to NORMAL with just one click, but I guess that would be a little too much to ask.. at least at this point.

One thing also.. I couldn't be arsed to change all the EQ tweaks from the good ol' 5033 to MFQ because (honestly) the 5033 mid range sounds just as good or even better as the MFQ. Also the Q-settings sound wildly different to my ears. The filters are WAY better/fatter (steeper?) with the MFQ 'tho for modern stuff.

The MFQ presets are also more user friendly and much more comprehensible.

But yeah, blah blah blah, *insert technical bs here*, happy music making
Yeah thanks for that tip. Trying to wrap my head around how to use nebula PROPERLY - I'm wondering how nebula 4 is going to cure all this. If it's going to cure all this. Is nebula 4 going to be a lot easier to set up and maintain?
Reason is I'm trying to learn 2 elektron boxes, pmi and Cisco Certs, nebula, ohms law and my heads actually melting.
So in a way I'm thinking about leaving nebula to the side until v4. Is there anywhere that I can read all the new stuff in nebula 4? I'm having difficulties finding anything?
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I'm wondering how nebula 4 is going to cure all this. If it's going to cure all this. Is nebula 4 going to be a lot easier to set up and maintain?
Reason is I'm trying to learn 2 elektron boxes, pmi and Cisco Certs, nebula, ohms law and my heads actually melting.
So in a way I'm thinking about leaving nebula to the side until v4. Is there anywhere that I can read all the new stuff in nebula 4? I'm having difficulties finding anything?
It will APPARENTLY be way more faster and user friendly with all sorts of tweaks, but it's impossible to say what all the features will be since it's over a 6 moths away.. and (as I've stated before), the guys are super secretive and it's by far their biggest project yet.

If you have tons of s*it to learn now, I'd say pull the trigger later and wait for the Neb 4 so you don't get completely frustrated
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

^^^^ thanks ultra - I watched the nebula tutorial which made me way more knowledgable but showed me how many little tricks and whatnot I don't oone to make it Sing like it's supposed to and I keep hearing about how much things are going to be improved in 4...
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

Hey hey - off my back fellas. I watched a film (I nearly wrote it then) on iTunes last night and called it a "DVD" sorry.
I actually watched it at a mates place on a computer and no I didn't ask for a receipt and ask we're she got it - I assumed she paid for it.....
I'm a paid up nebula user. Check my acustica account.....
I completely understand your frustration if your work is being pirated but to blame me outright like that.
In fact I'm really pissed off. I'm pissed off at everyone who just assumed I'd done something wrong with 0 evidence bar a out of context quote from a post - I hope you all feel heaps better for making me feel like **** -- tah
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Dud I'm assumed at you - how dare you keep going like that - I didn't steal **** from you and you slander me like this - crap. I owe you nothing and have reported you.
I have PM'd you and I hope we can sort this out.
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Maniac

!!!

Righteous indignation ahoy!
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

New update is available:

- faster loading times
- minimized audio dropouts when switching programs

good stuff :nod:
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
New update is available:

- faster loading times

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm looking forward to when Acustica sends out announcements on such updates.
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
New update is available:

- faster loading times

Wow. Thanks for the info !

Nebula 3.7

- Optimized global loading time
- Optimized preset loading time
- Minimized audio dropouts during preset loading and bypass processing
- Event-driven acquision and release of resources: better multithreading behaviour
- Fixed stereo switch and splith switch bug
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
New update is available:

- faster loading times

Very cool - thanks!
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

1) Switch to "classic" (the switches are upside-down so it's even more confusing, so the display says "SPLITH" when it's actually using the classic mode) if the settings are messed up like this to begin with.
2) being in NORMAL mode (once again, the display says ECONO because ^), I set the clean kernels (both, TIMED and FREQD) to 50ms.
3) Switch to ECONO (for tracking, editing, basic workflow)
4) Save

this way, I can easily flip to TIMED mode by just switching between NORMAL <-> ECONO with just one click for rendering. I usually just do it for drums and master, but it's a good basic setup for any settings.

I hope this wasn't too complicated ;P

The MFQ works wonders with the default 18kHz cut on the drums, just to shave off those pesky ultra-highs for more clarity. It certainly SOUNDS like it was designed to do just that. Just what the doctor ordered
Hi. I'd love to fully understand your settings but it's still a bit confusing. I want an easy "normal to economic" switch, me too !
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

..my VU meters are maxing out/not moving when loading a full project with this update, but the input levels are just fine. Also, when loading a fresh, new instance of Nebula, everything works fine. :|
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

hmmm .... that might suggest that you may have 2 different versions of Nebula going on. One from an early project before the update. Do you have any 'custom' Nebulas in the old project ? Maybe the new XML file is messing up the older version ??

Just a guess ... would definitely report this at the AA forum.
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

if you experience gui issues in 32 bits mode mac osx just try the 'vstgui3' version
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

There is no 64 bit au/vst version to run it in is there? Nebula 4 can't wait
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

FWIW... Cupwise has explained this elsewhere... but changing the TimeD and FreqD does absolutely nothing, unless they were set too low for the particular set you're using in the 1st place. Look on the Kernels page. Your TimeD and FreqD settings need to be higher than the maximum displayed there for the specific program. These are fixed in the program of a set when they are created, but will list on the Kernels page too small if your settings are not high enough. Don't worry about making the settings too high. Nebula will still only take up whatever is needed by the set to run as intended. On the other hand, having the TimeD and FreqD too low will limit the particular program of the set and cause it to not perform or sound as intended.
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
hmmm .... that might suggest that you may have 2 different versions of Nebula going on. One from an early project before the update. Do you have any 'custom' Nebulas in the old project ? Maybe the new XML file is messing up the older version ??

Just a guess ... would definitely report this at the AA forum.
Actually.. this was the case

And I was so sure I replaced all those old instances, thanks man
Deleting those old versions also solved a couple more issues too.
Old 19th April 2014
Lives for gear

Is there a 64 bit version for osx? I've run the installers from my dashboard and I've only got 32bit
Old 19th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually.. this was the case

And I was so sure I replaced all those old instances, thanks man
Deleting those old versions also solved a couple more issues too.
ahh ... good to hear !
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear
Hey guys, what is the best MS Matrix to use nebula for mid side in cubase ?

I know of Voxengo MSED but I find it alters the sound a bit too much, any other options ?
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
Hey guys, what is the best MS Matrix to use nebula for mid side in cubase ?

I know of Voxengo MSED but I find it alters the sound a bit too much, any other options ?
BX_solo

It's free.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...l/bx_solo.html
Old 2nd May 2014
MKR
Gear Nut

Anyone on this thread who owns nebula 3 pro and harrison mixbus please? I now own Mixbus(cause they have their crazy 20 dollar deal!) but not nebula yet.

If so can you test if Nebula 3 now works, i know there were issues before but i believe mixbus 2.5 may of fixed those?

Thanks!
Old 2nd May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
FWIW... Cupwise has explained this elsewhere... but changing the TimeD and FreqD does absolutely nothing, unless they were set too low for the particular set you're using in the 1st place. Look on the Kernels page. Your TimeD and FreqD settings need to be higher than the maximum displayed there for the specific program. These are fixed in the program of a set when they are created, but will list on the Kernels page too small if your settings are not high enough. Don't worry about making the settings too high. Nebula will still only take up whatever is needed by the set to run as intended. On the other hand, having the TimeD and FreqD too low will limit the particular program of the set and cause it to not perform or sound as intended.
where can i read this?
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

This thread has been dead long enough

Nowadays my master channel setup goes like this:

AMS Neve 88RS Air & Punch (driven pretty hard)
FATSO pre, with a healthy dose of "warmth" knob cranked (I tried this, now I can't take it off the chain)
AMS Neve 33609 with a 3dB+ compression with med attack and release
Studer 820 NAB driven HOT!

I'm in heaven bros. Everything else I try to stick on the master is just degrading the sound IMO. The ultimate setup for me? Could be.
Old 13th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

FATSO pre, with a healthy dose of "warmth" knob cranked (I tried this, now I can't take it off the chain)

I'm in heaven bros. Everything else I try to stick on the master is just degrading the sound IMO. The ultimate setup for me? Could be.
Please, post a sound clip of the result, it would be awesome.
Old 13th May 2014
Gear Head

Quote:

Hi ultra! Could you please give more details? where to fi
nd them (manufacturer and specific name they give) and how exactly do you use them (BUS for instru or master?) That would be great! thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search