The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nebula must have
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
TimP has a number of clippers included in his libraries. I don't use them too often and I don't own Diamond Lift, so I can't comment on a comparison of quality. But lots of people love TimP's clippers, and everything he does is top notch. Plus, these clippers are included alongside some of his awesome compressors and EQs. TimP makes the best compressors ITB too.
Off the top of my head it’s OPTO 32 and RA6 that come with clipping options.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
The Dual Tech EQ (Pultec style) comes with clippers as well. I can't recall now if any other of his libraries come with clippers.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by think2wice View Post
Are there any N4 libs that offer a clipper that rivals that of the one in the Diamond Lift Acqua?
FIY SoundDrops Mantis2 PWM compressor (Acqua library, N4 or N4Player required) includes a clipper stage both in single and multiband versions.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Dual Tech EQ (Pultec style) comes with clippers as well. I can't recall now if any other of his libraries come with clippers.
Thanks! I had forgotten that and I’m not sure I’ve ever tried it.

And I should have mentioned his Vari-Level as well - very nice clipper on that one.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
TimP makes the best compressors ITB too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteDal View Post
FIY SoundDrops Mantis2 PWM compressor (Acqua library, N4 or N4Player required) includes a clipper stage both in single and multiband versions.

Thanks for the responses! I should have known better to look at Tim P's stuff . Mantis2 sounds interesting as well. Although I think I made a solid choice by grabbing Tim's RA6

Thanks folks :D

Last edited by think2wice; 15th January 2020 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Head

@ AcusticaCM @ zaphod
Was thinking... instead of allowing nebula to slowly become a thing of the past. Why don’t you take 1 or 2 components from new releases and make them available for purchase (some free too) for like £20
It makes nebula very relevant plus nebula uses get the enjoyment of only using cpu power you need to use...

Everyone wins
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Seems like this thread has been allowed to slowly become a thing of the past.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trager View Post
Maybe that's why it's my favourite thread of all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

El Rey at crazy discount price but I own RA6 and testing them side by side I prefer RA6. Does anyone who owns both use El Rey and does it have strengths over RA6?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMaloogalooga View Post
El Rey at crazy discount price but I own RA6 and testing them side by side I prefer RA6. Does anyone who owns both use El Rey and does it have strengths over RA6?
El Rey is cleaner than RA6, and more transparent. It's kinda like having an RA6 with a smaller ratio, if that makes sense.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
El Rey is cleaner than RA6, and more transparent. It's kinda like having an RA6 with a smaller ratio, if that makes sense.
Thanks for the tip and that makes sense. Will probably end up buying of course
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, I've seen people say that they like El Rey on the mix buss as well. When I think about the action and how you can control the attack and release, that makes sense in comparison to RA6; I would never think to use RA6 on a mix buss. I've yet to really try El Rey on the mix buss, but I think I'll give it a more extensive shot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

As if such thing was possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by trager View Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Yeah, I've seen people say that they like El Rey on the mix buss as well. When I think about the action and how you can control the attack and release, that makes sense in comparison to RA6; I would never think to use RA6 on a mix buss. I've yet to really try El Rey on the mix buss, but I think I'll give it a more extensive shot.
you should try to use RA6 on the mixbus. A little bass-bypass and small Gain reduction and it tightens things up amazingly and more transparent than El Rey because the frequency response of RA6 is much more natural - no bass-boost like el rey.

I love both, but I think RA6 is the more transparent one as it does not change the freq-response. It just brings things to the front in a very nice way and beefs them up if you want.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisto View Post
you should try to use RA6 on the mixbus. A little bass-bypass and small Gain reduction and it tightens things up amazingly and more transparent than El Rey because the frequency response of RA6 is much more natural - no bass-boost like el rey.

I love both, but I think RA6 is the more transparent one as it does not change the freq-response. It just brings things to the front in a very nice way and beefs them up if you want.
I do agree, but I feel more the tubey sound in RA6 than in El Rey. I find it more colourful even though the frequency response is more linear. Transient shaping, maybe ? I never tried it on the mixbuss, but I think it won't wait too long !
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi guys. Can any of you help me and explain the various options in Tim P's Vari Level library? Thank you so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-vari-level.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisto View Post

+1 on this. Just make sure your mixbus is at 0VU.

Try Brighton there too with a slow attack and med/fast release
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Random thing to try for those who have both: Alex B’s vintage Neve console (mic pre) with the BX Console N EQ in “clean” mode (no noise or drive). The two complement each other quite nicely, with the analog character of the console and the flexibility, workflow, and CPU savings of the N EQ.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Hi guys. Can any of you help me and explain the various options in Tim P's Vari Level library? Thank you so much.
"Extra Part Linear release presets for fastest/longest release times on low gain reduction (Longest will be similar to a HOLD MODE). The sound is more reminiscent of a modern comp, possibly better for drums. Note these presets are also program dependent, so they will still change the release time on certain material."

"Two meters types M1 (Gain over threshold with attack and release characteristic, more similar to the hardware) and M2 (Normal Gain Reduction)"
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane View Post
Random thing to try for those who have both: Alex B’s vintage Neve console (mic pre) with the BX Console N EQ in “clean” mode (no noise or drive). The two complement each other quite nicely, with the analog character of the console and the flexibility, workflow, and CPU savings of the N EQ.
You can do the same with SSL too
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I was wondering if someone wouldnt mind, posting their current PC build. Im looking at building something to run multiple acustica plugs and I was wondering if the i5 9600k will suffice.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
TimP usually explains the details on the product pages on his site.

https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/vari-level/
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
I was wondering if someone wouldnt mind, posting their current PC build. Im looking at building something to run multiple acustica plugs and I was wondering if the i5 9600k will suffice.
The Today we build our studio pc thread always has up to date useful info for builders.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
The Today we build our studio pc thread always has up to date useful info for builders.
Thank you.
The reason I ask is because I was wondering what cpu people were using while specifically using acustica plugins and at what point the CPU starts to max out.

I dont want to buy an i5 9600 and then find out I can only run gold3 or something else on just a few tracks and experience problems.

Do you mind sharing your CPU and your current usage of nebula or other acustica plugs?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
Thank you.
The reason I ask is because I was wondering what cpu people were using while specifically using acustica plugins and at what point the CPU starts to max out.

I dont want to buy an i5 9600 and then find out I can only run gold3 or something else on just a few tracks and experience problems.

Do you mind sharing your CPU and your current usage of nebula or other acustica plugs?
Will you use W10? What DAW?

With i7-8700k up to 4.9ghz on W10 and using Reaper, I can run around 22-24 aqcuas channel strip with everything activated. You should consider buying an i7 instead of that i5.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
Will you use W10? What DAW?

With i7-8700k up to 4.9ghz on W10 and using Reaper, I can run around 22-24 aqcuas channel strip with everything activated. You should consider buying an i7 instead of that i5.
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Windows 10 and Reaper with an RME fireface UFX II.

i7 will be taken into consideration.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

A notable absence when people write about their ability/inability to use lots of/not many Acustica plugins is what sample rate they're working at...

-bryan
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma View Post
A notable absence when people write about their ability/inability to use lots of/not many Acustica plugins is what sample rate they're working at...

-bryan
True, I assume that if it is not indicated, they are 44, as is my case.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Nebula in combination with setups, lbx stripper (for eqs), fx chains and reamote (when possible) is a great setup...i think.
All the developers have done a great work developing their approach to sampling and kept their prices very very reasonable. It's true that having to freeze or render more often than not can be a work flow killer at times but sonically it's a pleasure to work with the libraries they have created and if you know what you are trying to achieve sonically they get you there very quickly.
I don't post here often but I red this thread for a long time.

I think I own (I think we all do) TimP, Alexb, CDS, Cupwise, HO and all the others who by now have stopped developing libraries, a public thank you for what I think it has been so far more a labour of love rather than a job. Of course all this would have not been possible without Giancarlo at acustica and his invention. Even though I did not always agree with Acustica's choices, not that it would or should matter (but I respect them and I say this as someone who owns some acqua plugins) all that Nebula has become started from him and he deserves full credit for it.
Acustica,in time, seem to have taken a different direction but I am glad that older libraries' developers did not give up and kept researching new and more effective way in building their libraries.

It has been so far a huge work in progress for both developers and ,sometimes, users but, beside some very rude moments, it has, more often then not, being a discussion based on being constructive (in particular in this thread).

So my thanks goes also to people like Will, Rj and all the others frequent poster that somehow helped in keeping the conversation here constructive...I learned a lot from them in terms of how to set up this tools and integrate them into my hybrid workflow. By now everything I use in the box is based on different type of convolution set-ups. Basically Nebula libraries and Liquidsonic for reverbs plus the occasional Acqua ( especially Titan 3 until someone does a library of that awesome multi band comp).......and, today more than yesterday, I feel like i can concentrate on writing and recording music rather than researching tools which could sonically integrate my outboard hardware while keeping the benefit of a digital workflow (recall etc).

I don't own every single library out there as I don't feel the need for it, but I own the ones which recreate the hardware pieces which I would not mind to own but that in the current industry climate represent an investment which would take too long to recoup. And let me tell you, in case you did not get it yet, I love them
I don't know if this technology has peaked yet but as it stands it has reached an incredible high
Ok...sorry for the long post but sometimes it is nice to be grateful
And now off to research the new AlexB Sp79 Golden edition....if it does to sound the way I expect then it is another great piece to add to the puzzle
Good music everyone
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Did anyone ever figure out the issue where N4 does not appear in DAWs in Windows 10? I already submitted a ticket, but I also saw that there's Acustica Forum threads regarding the same problem that were never resolved.

Update: Fixed it! I needed to install the 2010 C++ package.

Last edited by ziggysane; 3 weeks ago at 11:42 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search