The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
Cheers.

So looks like the target release date in November 2014. Still a little while to go yet.

I suspect it'll be pushed back at least once, so in my mind I'm anticipating Q1 2015. I could be wrong of course.
Well, the guys said they're targeting Christmas so we can all nerd out on holidays
Old 31st March 2014
they are motoring away at it - a lot of work happening at the mo...I think they could hit that target...engine is in beta on PC already...
Old 31st March 2014
MKR
Gear Nut

Has anyone heard if they are planning to have an upgrade price from Nebula 3.

i believe they did this from Nebula 2 to 3 and i'm thinking of buying Nebula 3 but would rather not if Nebula 4 is due soon and i'd have to pay full price twice.
Old 2nd April 2014
I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned before on this thread but I want to be sure you all know about Henry Olonga's Air... go and buy it because it's fantastic.
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRain View Post
I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned before on this thread but I want to be sure you all know about Henry Olonga's Air... go and buy it because it's fantastic.
Agreed. I'm a HUGE fan of Kush and their plugins, but compared to the Clariphonic DSP, Henry's presets kill it (the Clarity frequencies aren't even close!).
Old 3rd April 2014
I was looking for something to help me out on the Kick Drum and on the Bass sound and I decided to buy AlexB Vintage PoolTeQ.... the reason I thought about it it's the combo programs, cut and boost for low freq.
this thing is incredible... I know it has probably already been mentioned in this thread and it's not a new library but the 60 and 100 cps boost and cut combo programs are amazing.
Old 3rd April 2014
double post
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was looking for something to help me out on the Kick Drum and on the Bass sound and I decided to buy AlexB Vintage PoolTeQ.... the reason I thought about it it's the combo programs, cut and boost for low freq.
this thing is incredible... I know it has probably already been mentioned in this thread and it's not a new library but the 60 and 100 cps boost and cut combo programs are amazing.
Well, it probably sounds pretty close to the hardware.. the bottom end in AITB Doc Fear is even more massive IMO, although I don't usually like tube gear on drums. The Pultec sounds a bit more modern and not as saturated, so it's more versatile i think.

BTW, good news ahead soon:

• View topic - 1.3 .700

Another reason for the pirates to pull the trigger on a legit copy of Nebula 3. Also, you won't be publicly crucified by the Nebula cult if you get caught using pirated versions

EDIT: oh yeah, the 88RS EQ is out :P .. my god, buying tomorrow. It's even better than the 5033. Incredible.
Old 3rd April 2014
I have Doc Fear too.... very good too... but I think having cut and boost for bass freq. on the same library is a must.

Edit: You know what... I'm checking the manual now, there is actually a bass boost and cut combo, but I don't recall having it on my libraries, maybe it has been added recently I have the Doc Fear since years... must check
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know what... I'm checking the manual now, there is actually a bass boost and cut combo, but I don't recall having it on my libraries, maybe it has been added recently I have the Doc Fear since years... must check
Yep, and the cut frequency is also sliding. They both sound excellent but surprisingly different but for some reason they don't get that much use here, especially b/c the Doc Fearn is 44.1k only.

I though today.. Nebula has taught me so much about mixing, "analog" gain staging, saturation and frequencies (because of the damn one band EQs ) that I'm actually now GRATEFUL for the hickups and limitations it comes with. But this is about to change.. big time.

I'm REALLY getting some results I'm happy with now, seems like the MFC was the final fix.. and it only took 10 years . I've always struggled with mixing, having to start from a scratch without any advice or help besides online tips, forums etc.

Great, great times ahead for Neb users.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Air is pretty amazing, alright! I love Henry's libraries. The Mojo stuff is esepcially awesome along with the Elite Pro stuff. Very inexpensive, too. Henry is amazingly helpful, too.
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKR View Post
Has anyone heard if they are planning to have an upgrade price from Nebula 3
I just asked this on the forums and Antonello said:

Quote:
We need to study the price policy...but...sure...we'll build an upgrade policy for Nebula3 customers
So it will be as usual. If you purchase it now you'll "lose" some money (60$? or something) but you'll also take a smaller hit later on when/if you decide to upgrade to version 4. It's also over 6 months away, so you'll get into the nebula world faster. Apparently the version 4 will be a very different beast 'tho, so take your pick. Personally, I haven't regretted getting the Pro version for a day.

So excite! Money is tight, but I guess I'll purchase the MFC EQ now anyway
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Both the MFC console and the new MFeQ are something very special.

Tonite I put both these libraries to the test ... mastering some 'less then stellar' 2 mix.

Absolutely stunning EQ.

It does not burden with heavy character ... but what character it brings is very tasteful and discreet.

Characteristic of many Nebula eq's ... but at what seems even a more refined aspect ... the sound and the EQ are 'One' .... I don't know how better to explain, but it doesn't seem to matter how much gain is applied, the source sound changes, but you don't notice the EQ ... they are of one sound. In my 'test', I have +18 dB gain in the MID ... along with some radical eq'ing throughout ... no one would ever know that was going on.

AlexB has taken Nebula EQ to a new level with this creation.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

I couldn't agree more. MFC + MFQ = Audio BLISS

Best console and EQ in software. Nothing comes close.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post

Well look at that...we agree 100% on this!
Even with many Nebula libraries, I tend to zero in on one console at a time (it's my way of virtually having a single console sound for the studio). The MFC and MFeQ together have been like an expensive upgrade that I can't afford!
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post

How would you guys compare the MFQ to Alex's SSL and Portico?
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

I have only Globe and vintage BBC consoles from cdsoundmaster, any opinions about those?
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
I have only Globe and vintage BBC consoles from cdsoundmaster, any opinions about those?
LOVE the Globe!
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

I think I have all of Alex B's consoles and I have CDSM's Trident and there's definitely something extra in the MFC.

Although all the other ones do have a great sound, the MFC actually really sounds like I'm working on a NEVE88R. While the other ones sound like I'm working on a software version of the consoles. It's hard to explain. Buy it with MFQ and you will see.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Is TrinityEq the same as AlexBs SSL4000 EQ?
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Addict
I'm getting very tempted so get the MFC. The demos are reflecting all of these nice words here so far.

However, console EQs and any general purpose EQs are the ones where the Nebula workflow hurts the most.

Anyone have DMG Equillibrium to A/B with? I'd run out of demo period(s) a long time ago, but I do recall the 88 being in there. I also recall Equillibrium being the only EQ that came close to Nebula, and VERY VERY close it came at that.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
I'm getting very tempted so get the MFC. The demos are reflecting all of these nice words here so far.

However, console EQs and any general purpose EQs are the ones where the Nebula workflow hurts the most.

Anyone have DMG Equillibrium to A/B with? I'd run out of demo period(s) a long time ago, but I do recall the 88 being in there. I also recall Equillibrium being the only EQ that came close to Nebula, and VERY VERY close it came at that.
Sorry. Equilibrium isn't even close to me. It still sounds clean. Nebula EQ's have the hardware MOJO. That's what I want from my EQ. There's no way Equilibrium can do what some of the Nebula EQ's do to the high boosts. It's just not happening. To preface that: Equilibrium is my goto EQ for surgical work, so I do use it often, and I do really like it.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Equilibrium is a clean algo EQ, the regarded Nebula EQ's are hardware models with strange unique curves and tons of saturation. Completely different beasts.

I don't really know how many different Nebula threads we need BTW, if there was just one or two topics, there could be a change that people would actually READ through the thread instead of asking the same questions over and over

BTW, the kernels in the MFQ are set very strangely, they were all were in SPLITH mode and the TIMED one was set to 2.2ms (!) which really kills the low end. I had to set them to my basic 50ms FREQD/TIMED manually. I don't know what this was all about.. tempted to ask Alex but cannot be bothered since the communication is so slow

EDIT: Oh yeah, the LP filter = god given on drums! Talk about set & forget.. can't wait for the dynamics. Maybe Cupwise and Alex should collaborate on that one?
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
BTW, the kernels in the MFQ are set very strangely, they were all were in SPLITH mode and the TIMED one was set to 2.2ms (!) which really kills the low end. I had to set them to my basic 50ms FREQD/TIMED manually. I don't know what this was all about.. tempted to ask Alex but cannot be bothered since the communication is so slow

EDIT: Oh yeah, the LP filter = god given on drums! Talk about set & forget.. can't wait for the dynamics. Maybe Cupwise and Alex should collaborate on that one?
So how did you set it up, just 50ms for TIMED, or still in SPLITH-mode?

And what's that LP filter about with drums, just the sound or some kind of resonance?
Old 10th April 2014
Quote:
Equilibrium is a clean algo EQ, the regarded Nebula EQ's are hardware models with strange unique curves and tons of saturation. Completely different beasts.

I don't really know how many different Nebula threads we need BTW, if there was just one or two topics, there could be a change that people would actually READ through the thread instead of asking the same questions over and over

thats interesting because Alex is quite clear that he thinks things should be left as set by the developer...are you sure his settings are causing problems?
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Head

Which Henry Olonga libraries are really good?
I have AIR and it's amazing, i heard Titan is also good, what would you guys recomend? there are so many...
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jure24 View Post
Which Henry Olonga libraries are really good?
I have AIR and it's amazing, i heard Titan is also good, what would you guys recomend? there are so many...
Just get his all you can eat, it's so damn cheap, and you get ever library he has, and they all have a use, lol.
Old 10th April 2014
Nrt
Lives for gear

Quote:
True. Equilibrium emu sounds like hardware without distortion, and I use "colored" EQ less and less these days since Equilibrium. I'm now a believer of clean EQ. The channel EQs should not to be distorted, unless some kind of special effect is needed. I mostly use separate plugin VCC, Satin etc. for 'saturation'. No more UAD EQs, except API for special occasion. Equilibrium for main EQ and Nebula etc. for some special purpose effect is reasonable to me.
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Just get his all you can eat, it's so damn cheap, and you get ever library he has, and they all have a use, lol.
yes i know, but there are too much of them, i just don't have time to test everything.
and to be honest some just don't make too much sense.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
thats interesting because Alex is quite clear that he thinks things should be left as set by the developer...are you sure his settings are causing problems?
Yeah, I know, that's why it's weird. I remember the devs saying that you shouldn't even be using the SPLITH mode b/c it's causing some problems with the kernels, and also 2.2ms (the default minimum?) is way too little for any EQ program.

It's no biggie, it takes like 15 seconds to change the settings and save as default, but it's kinda weird 'tho. I'd rather run the programs in 50ms FREQD than some very short TIMED rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
So how did you set it up, just 50ms for TIMED, or still in SPLITH-mode?

And what's that LP filter about with drums, just the sound or some kind of resonance?
Well, if you want to get complicated :D, I usually

1) Switch to "classic" (the switches are upside-down so it's even more confusing, so the display says "SPLITH" when it's actually using the classic mode) if the settings are messed up like this to begin with.
2) being in NORMAL mode (once again, the display says ECONO because ^), I set the clean kernels (both, TIMED and FREQD) to 50ms.
3) Switch to ECONO (for tracking, editing, basic workflow)
4) Save

this way, I can easily flip to TIMED mode by just switching between NORMAL <-> ECONO with just one click for rendering. I usually just do it for drums and master, but it's a good basic setup for any settings.

I hope this wasn't too complicated ;P

The MFQ works wonders with the default 18kHz cut on the drums, just to shave off those pesky ultra-highs for more clarity. It certainly SOUNDS like it was designed to do just that. Just what the doctor ordered

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search