The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Goddamn these DDossing f*ckers. A lot of (*cough*) sites getting bombed now. I wish these guys would get a life.

BTW, I just decided to try adding a solid state Millennium preamp on the master with high TIMED rates, it's extremely transparent but does something to the sound that makes way, WAY more pleasing to my ears. Those pesky mid-highs really sound better and it adds some punch.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
A built a new DAW and put in a request for a new license about two weeks ago but never got a license back with the supposedly automated process. Is this due to being hacked? Yes pirating sucks but how else would honest paying customers be able to use the product they bought? heh
email is not reliable and neither are automated systems , its odvious Nebula's automated system is not working and possibly to complicated.This is why logic went serial number.

I know people for instance who now buy software but if its ilok they then download a hacked version of the same software and use that ! .I know guys Fully registered with waves and cubase who use the hacked versions instead after paying for the real versions due to the fact many hacked programs run lighter and are easier to transfer from one machine to another.

Its not as easy as saying ' the business is victim ' and the hacker ' is evil ' , it really is not now and over protective and bad attitude companies play right into the hands of hackers , the more a product is copy protected and harder it is to crack the more the hacker community targets it , this drives your product higher up the list of software to hack ,gives it a higher profile in the hacking community and if you piss them off with an attitude they will go out of their way to mass distribute your hacked product just to get at you , its why logic went serial as they for years had an online battle with certain hacking groups and realised the only way to win was to stop fighting with protection that these hackers are driven to crack and to make it a pointless exercise for hackers to target you as a business and product.

i personally think we live in a world of cause and effect 100% , call it karma or whatever but i think if your open and a good business , Warm to deal with and you price fair you have little worries.As soon as customers get the feeling your over protective , paranoid , running convoluted protection systems out of fear of monetary loss they start to feel less warm toward you and your product and then some are driven to download it and find reason to morally warrant it.

Its a fine line , i dont support hackers at all but i know what motivates them ( a destructive sense of challenge / beating your protection ) and also i know what drives many to use hacked software and its not only selfish greed , its also Ease of use and not having dongle bull****e and dealings with companies with some attitude problem , sometimes people just cannot afford it but your promoting a product , creating desire in people and then surprised when they cant afford it they still take it ? some people want everything for nothing.

There is no solution really but i dont think fear , paranoia , over protective systems , cold mentality , fighting hackers and so on helps and making statements about them makes you a target , you wont beat them until you undermine them as logic did for instance by removing all copy protection and going serial.In an instant the hackers got pissed off and considered any focus on logic as pointless as it was but also moved away from logic , focused on the next business it saw as arrogant or a challenge.These hackers are oddballs , you need to know how to handle them.They love a war.

If your getting online site crashes from hackers or they are trying to take down your site for purely destructive reasons due to something you said in a hacking scene then dont be surprised , dont make enemies of these people ! they are bastards .
Old 2nd March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdn View Post
email is not reliable and neither are automated systems , its odvious Nebula's automated system is not working and possibly to complicated.This is why logic went serial number.

I know people for instance who now buy software but if its ilok they then download a hacked version of the same software and use that ! .I know guys Fully registered with waves and cubase who use the hacked versions instead after paying for the real versions due to the fact many hacked programs run lighter and are easier to transfer from one machine to another.

Its not as easy as saying ' the business is victim ' and the hacker ' is evil ' , it really is not now and over protective and bad attitude companies play right into the hands of hackers , the more a product is copy protected and harder it is to crack the more the hacker community targets it , this drives your product higher up the list of software to hack ,gives it a higher profile in the hacking community and if you piss them off with an attitude they will go out of their way to mass distribute your hacked product just to get at you , its why logic went serial as they for years had an online battle with certain hacking groups and realised the only way to win was to stop fighting with protection that these hackers are driven to crack and to make it a pointless exercise for hackers to target you as a business and product.

i personally think we live in a world of cause and effect 100% , call it karma or whatever but i think if your open and a good business , Warm to deal with and you price fair you have little worries.As soon as customers get the feeling your over protective , paranoid , running convoluted protection systems out of fear of monetary loss they start to feel less warm toward you and your product and then some are driven to download it and find reason to morally warrant it.

Its a fine line , i dont support hackers at all but i know what motivates them ( a destructive sense of challenge / beating your protection ) and also i know what drives many to use hacked software and its not only selfish greed , its also Ease of use and not having dongle bull****e and dealings with companies with some attitude problem , sometimes people just cannot afford it but your promoting a product , creating desire in people and then surprised when they cant afford it they still take it ? some people want everything for nothing.

There is no solution really but i dont think fear , paranoia , over protective systems , cold mentality , fighting hackers and so on helps and making statements about them makes you a target , you wont beat them until you undermine them as logic did for instance by removing all copy protection and going serial.In an instant the hackers got pissed off and considered any focus on logic as pointless as it was but also moved away from logic , focused on the next business it saw as arrogant or a challenge.These hackers are oddballs , you need to know how to handle them.They love a war.

If your getting online site crashes from hackers or they are trying to take down your site for purely destructive reasons due to something you said in a hacking scene then dont be surprised , dont make enemies of these people ! they are bastards .
BS. copy protection is great - it funds great products. the best products like UAD, slate, and cubase all have unbeatable copy protection and they haven't been pirated in years.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
BS. copy protection is great - it funds great products. the best products like UAD, slate, and cubase all have unbeatable copy protection and they haven't been pirated in years.
Not for a lack of trying… and, sooner or later just about everything gets cracked, doesn't it?
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

I'll never forget the steinberg story I heard - on one release of cubase or nuendo a large portion of the file size and rnd went into copy protection - only to have it cracked in 47 minutes.......
There will always be pirates - and if they try hard enough they'll be able to crack anything - and I mean anything, even uad. Why haven't they? Because it's mostly likely very difficult and they tnd to do it for bragging rights - they don't make money from it. Kids in bedrooms not sheds of robohumans
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Not for a lack of trying… and, sooner or later just about everything gets cracked, doesn't it?
No, I would say sooner or later everything does NOT get hacked. I would say the copy & protection gurus are about at the point of surpassing hackers... if it hasn't happened several years ago already. The majority of the world's finances and money is moved about via the internet and software... and the majority of it has never been hacked. If it could have been hacked and taken, it would have.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
No, I would say sooner or later everything does NOT get hacked. I would say the copy & protection gurus are about at the point of surpassing hackers... if it hasn't happened several years ago already. The majority of the world's finances and money is moved about via the internet and software... and the majority of it has never been hacked. If it could have been hacked and taken, it would have.
That's what I used to think… before Cubase, Logic, Protools (etc) all got cracked. But, to each their own opinion.

BTW, I think the folks at Target may disagree with you
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4471672.html
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

The website back online.

I like AlexB's latest MFC console too-
AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - MFC Modern Flagship Console - Nebula Programs
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm at day 2 or 3 with Nebula and I'm kinda getting my mind blown here. Why is there a 6787 page thread on Slate VST mic emulations and, like, 8 people using the Nebula platform? Why did I not know about this? Well, I kinda did. Really enjoying myself here. Going to have to make my current client wait for bit longer while I bring his mixes to life.....
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
I'm at day 2 or 3 with Nebula and I'm kinda getting my mind blown here. Why is there a 6787 page thread on Slate VST mic emulations and, like, 8 people using the Nebula platform? Why did I not know about this? Well, I kinda did. Really enjoying myself here. Going to have to make my current client wait for bit longer while I bring his mixes to life.....
Ha ha, I have stopped charging by the hour since I have accepted my "Nebulized" work-flow. I now charge by the project, and almost never a complaint from clients or me. I had to do a mix at someone else's studio in the last few months, and they were "Nebula-less".... It was hard for me to love the final product as much as I am used to.
Slate has the masses because he has pumped a ton of resources into the media exposure. Plus, he is a "people" sort of guy. He also has very nice GUI's and acceptable sounding products. I'd still take the hassles of Nebula over anything else.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You may very well find the 'blowing of the mind' with every new library purchased. It might not happen the first time evaluating, but like many choices an engineer has to make ... when the 'right' combination is struck ... its majic
Old 3rd March 2014
Quote:
I think its because for many people workflow trumps the marginal sound improvement of Nebula...
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Uad has not been hacked .Cubase 7 has and so has Slate .

My point is at what point do you allow fear and paranoia and over the top security to destroy your customer base , trust with them , make your product Disfunctional and a system hog ? if new systems of protection can be easy to install and use great but by their nature the more complex and convoluted the system of protection the more this costs the buyer or end user in some way i found , they end up tied to multiple companies for stuff , have constant hassle if they are not carefull and it ends up a pain in the arse as a working studio more often than not.

Its a sad situation and i personally dont think the remedy is in protection , i think its in dealing with the Psychological aspect of hackers , dealing with them direct , hackers want harder systems of protection to crack , many work in Security ! i think some companies employed ex hackers now , some big companies.

Not sure what the answer is but i think some black and white mentality of ' were great , they are evil ' is to simplistic and some sense of the psychological reason some people hack is needed , i dont think fear and paranoia and protection is the key , the key is to make no enemy , diffuse the situation with understanding and by connecting with your potential customers as Humans and then people will support you openly , they wont if you come across as arrogant and over protective.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I think its because for many people workflow trumps the marginal sound improvement of Nebula...
exactly.

Long time Nebula user/supported here but I have all the slate products because sometimes I have to mix as I go and the latency and workflow of Nebula precludes that.

If I have the time and budget then Nebula always gets used.

I will say though that even in the mix as you go scenarios I still will always use Nebula reverbs, mainly Plates and Springs. As they're on sends it's not an issue.

MC
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

I can see where that would be a problem. I'm messing around with mostly finished mixes. I can't imagine doing any major surgery with it. Still..............It's got soul and I'm diggin it.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
8 people? lol

Total Acustica members: 79630
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
.... the marginal sound improvement of Nebula...
That, of course, is totally subjective. I for one disagree with this, but to each their own.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Trinity EQ is now officially a month late. Looks amazing though.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
Trinity EQ is now officially a month late. Looks amazing though.
It sounds amazing and is a joy to use (testing right now!)
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
8 people? lol

Total Acustica members: 79630
Not really 8 people. Just seems that way here on GS. I tried to do a lot of research before I dove in..................
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not really 8 people. Just seems that way here on GS. I tried to do a lot of research before I dove in..................
No I know that haha but I also know that even what that hyperbole is representing is not accurate. There are a tons of people who use Nebula they just don't talk about it. One could speculate as to several reasons why but that's for another thread.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Nebula doesn't have the "bling factor" to make it a star here at GearSlutz. It isn't expensive, it isn't pretty to look at it doesn't come with masterfully written marketing. In fact, it's relatively cheap, clunky to use and practically undocumented (no, referring people to the chaotically organized forum does not constitute "documentation").

In this day and age we're used to "recording power tools". Nebula is more like a precision hand tool that requires constant sharpening, oiling and careful storage between uses. It is a sculpter's tool not a power tool. If you plan on building a house with such a tool plan on spending a lot of time. It's not about broad strokes but more of a fine varnish. At times it drives me crazy but damn it all.... I find myself coming back to it again and again.

Oh yeah, and to contribute to the actual purpose of this thread: I use the Fate compressor and the CD Soundmaster libraries the most.
Old 3rd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
exactly.

Long time Nebula user/supported here but I have all the slate products because sometimes I have to mix as I go and the latency and workflow of Nebula precludes that.

If I have the time and budget then Nebula always gets used.

I will say though that even in the mix as you go scenarios I still will always use Nebula reverbs, mainly Plates and Springs. As they're on sends it's not an issue.

MC
the good news is that as Nebula is being developed the workflow issues are being addressed...for example the upcoming Trinity EQ...4 band EQ...

I find the best is a mix of all - Nebula - algo plugs and outboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
That, of course, is totally subjective. I for one disagree with this, but to each their own.
I thought about the choice of word because marginal can seem negative - but I do think in the real world when you are working in the box - the difference in a 2-3db boost with a good algo eq and Nebula - is there - but at the same time its not huge - thus its fair to say its marginal. One has to understand the reasons why Nebula does not dominate the plugin world and that is one of them - workflow vs sound. I still prefer Nebula for many processing tasks and have been an AA fan since the start. But my outlook is balanced because being a fanboy I dont think helps them move forward...they need constructive critique and feedback to make the best of their technology and continue to compete with the increasing quality of algo offerings...
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have to agree with this one. The difference becomes way more apparent in the long run and usually the results sound less like "plastic" than done with traditional style plugins. I really hope that Nebula 4 will live up to all the expectations and fix these

This is NOT to say that you cannot get good results with stuff like Slates' or UAD..

But anyway, good to see the site's back online and everything running as usual.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Please, please, please, please, please, please and, again, please!

Mac 64-bit?
What do Acustica have against the Mac users?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Mac 64-bit?
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post

Mac 64-bit?
VST64 is available for Mac (Nebula3 server) but AU64 isn't there yet ...
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Things aren't getting better. I bought the Nebula Setups 2 license last week and I still haven't received it.

I ask AA and I'm told to ask the developer. I ask the developer and he asks me to ask AA. Round and round.

At this point I am just sooooooooooo fed up with AA.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
Things aren't getting better. I bought the Nebula Setups 2 license last week and I still haven't received it.

I ask AA and I'm told to ask the developer. I ask the developer and he asks me to ask AA. Round and round.

At this point I am just sooooooooooo fed up with AA.
Uh oh..... I just responded to you on the thread over at AA.....and I MIGHT have suggested checking with Acustica.....(maybe I have time to go delete that post........)
The old authorizations were done by uploading sers and waiting for licenses in emails. The new "dashboard" adds it to your account, and many people are missing it. Have you checked there?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uh oh..... I just responded to you on the thread over at AA.....and I MIGHT have suggested checking with Acustica.....(maybe I have time to go delete that post........)
The old authorizations were done by uploading sers and waiting for licenses in emails. The new "dashboard" adds it to your account, and many people are missing it. Have you checked there?
Hey rich!

Yeah I did check because that's where the developer told me to check. When I said to AA that my license was not showing up, they told me it shouldn't be there and it should come from the developer.

This is after going back and forth for a week at the rate of one message per day from AA asking me if I paid, which email I used, etc... All that just to finish by telling me it shouldn't be there. GRRrrrrr

It's Alexb MFC all over for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search