The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
re algo EQ I now just stick with Logic EQ which is good enough and also Brainworx hybrid EQ for important jobs...I dont use gates much in electronic music...I dont even use compression too much and maybe use an LA type compressor occasionally - IK White or VC2A...I think I may pick up cupwise 660 to try in these places...
Otherwise I go OTB for master compression...Slate VBC is quite good I have to admit...and I'll use that if I cant go OTB...
If you like the fundamental action of the IK White is you'll absolutely LOVE Tim's 660. Per Nebula usual, it will start to get angry at the extreme extremes. Obviously, these kind of comps you generally don't rip into with transients anyway. I heavily recommend it.

It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
If you like the fundamental action of the IK White is you'll absolutely LOVE Tim's 660. Per Nebula usual, it will start to get angry at the extreme extremes. Obviously, these kind of comps you generally don't rip into with transients anyway. I heavily recommend it.

It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts.
yeah Im being a bit tight about buying it at the moment...I dunno...I want to but Im a bit tired of buying Nebula Libs and not using most - especially compressors - but the feedback on the 660 is so good I prob ought to...

Yeah you are right Nebula comps are best to massage the signal not crush it - but to be honest thats all I really need to do most of the time because Im not tracking acoustic instruments...more synths and samples...
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

can anyone recommend some nebula programs for massaging the top end on some rather brittle ( not so bad but edgy ) mixes with alot of string and synth pads ?

i was considering trying some tape treatments to roll off the top end a bit but then noticed these

CDSoundMaster Audio Software

CDSoundMaster Audio Software

Silk EQ 259b | Tim Petherick

begs the question is there anything really effective for taking the fatigue out of digital highs ?

I know the 259 is very popular in mastering or for hi mids ? any advice on that ones strong points ?

The bax ? a mastering mate swears by it but i wasnt sure why or what its known for ?

then theres Henry Olonga – AIR......wtf is that ?

am i drifting into aural exciters for the nebula system now ?

Final question ( not really relative to the above mix situation ) was regarding a good V72 preamp program ? or just go for some Girthy Mastering EQ Mojo ?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Nut

In the Cupwise 660 manual he discusses lookahead:
http://www.cupwise.com/cup/product-m...amy_660A&B.pdf
<AHEADLENGTH> 23000 </AHEADLENGTH>

It took me about a year to get up the nerve to make a copy of my NebulaReverb.dll and NebulaReverb.xml in my VST plugins folder, change the names of the copies to NebulaReverb-Cupwise.dll and NebulaReverb-Cupwise.xml, edit the NebulaReverb-Cupwise.xml AHEADLENGTH to 23000 as shown in the Cupwise manual. This allowed whatever compressors he created with the lookahead length to go to whatever the max was. For the 660 I think the manual says 10ms. That makes a HUGE difference in the sound IMO.

@isdn - I was using Tim Pethericks might-fine SilkEQ to smooth some highs and shooting it against the new IK 432 which is might-fine also. They both are very good! I still like to have a trusty old algo available...
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdn View Post
can anyone recommend some nebula programs for massaging the top end on some rather brittle ( not so bad but edgy ) mixes with alot of string and synth pads ?

i was considering trying some tape treatments to roll off the top end
Why not just use EQ high shelving on individual tracks/groups instead of low pass filters and tapes? I just shelve the highs when things get too bright and then just add some volume on that (besides the usual tape saturation I almost always use on drums). The shelving will also sound better than low pass filters IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
I have my two keys in the dashboard. The 'help' FAQ that they keep sending me tells me to re-write the old demo-key file in the vectors section with my two new ones. So I deleted the one and dragged the two new ones into the vector folder.

Well of course that didn't work
You don't put any keys to the vector folder AFAIK..
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

The INIT.N2P goes in the repository PROGRAM folder

and the INIT.N2V in the VECTOR folder.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

I feel the pain. I can't wait for the AA to get their sh*t together and hire some professional customer service.

I bought Nebula Setups today and still no license. I don't have my order showing as "Pending" as the AA website says. I went through the same thing when I upgraded to the server edition. I bought it and didn't get anything. I waited for 24 hours because I have learned not to expect instant delivery from AA. Good thing I emailed them because that's the only way I got my download link.

I really REALLY want to love those guys but man are they making it hard for me. Since I've upgraded to server I've had nothing but trouble. It's now over a week I'm trying to get everything working fine and it's just not happening.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Why not just use EQ high shelving on individual tracks/groups instead of low pass filters and tapes? .
its actually on final mixes for mastering but thanks for the advice , i need to do some study on this and us emy ears a bit , i was more just wondering what some of the stuff like the Siemens W295B EQ can do to the mix in the hi end etc or if its something to consider using more , i keep hearing ' silky hi's ' mentioned when its mentioned.

On the registration front this is the alarming part.

As far as sound programs go if you wanted ' big and bold ' or something to make a weedy signal more big and bold what would you use in the Nebula range ?
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdn View Post
its actually on final mixes for mastering but thanks for the advice , i need to do some study on this and us emy ears a bit , i was more just wondering what some of the stuff like the Siemens W295B EQ can do to the mix in the hi end etc or if its something to consider using more , i keep hearing ' silky hi's ' mentioned when its mentioned.

On the registration front this is the alarming part.

As far as sound programs go if you wanted ' big and bold ' or something to make a weedy signal more big and bold what would you use in the Nebula range ?
Good EQ is a good EQ, I don't really care what it's designed for. I still use the RND 5033 (sounds best to my ears) with high TIMED kernel rates to do so final tweaking on the master, the transformer colorization is sometimes all you need to soften out those harsh/spiky highs. It's my workhorse EQ for basically everything.

To thicken out the mix in a natural way, I'm using the RS88 console, 30ips tapes (once again, in high TIMED rates) and some mild compression with the Neve 33609.
Old 28th February 2014
MKR
Gear Nut

Sorry total noob but how do you use an eq easily with the nebula controls? Is that the tricky thing about nebula with no Q knobs etc? Are there any vids anywhere that anyone knows about please?
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
The INIT.N2P goes in the repository PROGRAM folder

and the INIT.N2V in the VECTOR folder.
That was it? THAT WAS EASY. Sheesh. I've got,like, 5 back and forth emails with customer support!!

Wow. Thank you RJHollins. You are my hero.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Just loaded up the 660. Wow........
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Really liking the EQ demos.....
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
That was it? THAT WAS EASY. Sheesh. I've got,like, 5 back and forth emails with customer support!!

Wow. Thank you RJHollins. You are my hero.
Good to hear your running !
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKR View Post
Sorry total noob but how do you use an eq easily with the nebula controls? Is that the tricky thing about nebula with no Q knobs etc? Are there any vids anywhere that anyone knows about please?
No Q nobs? The Q nobs are there..

The notorious thing about the Neb EQs is that with most libraries, you can only use one band at a time. If you want more, you'll have to load an another instance of Nebula. To my understanding, they're working on that on the version 4.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
No Q nobs? The Q nobs are there..

The notorious thing about the Neb EQs is that with most libraries, you can only use one band at a time. If you want more, you'll have to load an another instance of Nebula. To my understanding, they're working on that on the version 4.
FWIW, AITB libraries have combo presets. Wish more libraries had them...
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
FWIW, AITB libraries have combo presets. Wish more libraries had them...
Yeah, but they're kinda one trick ponies. Would be cool having stuff like the Neve and API EQs with full setups (wouldn't even stress the CPU that much since you only need the saturation from one program and the rest are just curves which are really light and still sound better than most algo EQs for some reason).

But I think we're getting there..
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

BTW, everybody else getting "403 Forbidden" when trying to enter Acustica Audio site, right?
Old 1st March 2014
Here for the gear

Yes, "403 Forbidden" for me, too.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Head

The Suder and MBC were our favourites for Tape and Consoles. The Doc Fear is a truly beautiful sounding EQ - definitely worth a try!
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vando View Post
Yes, "403 Forbidden" for me, too.
Me too
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

I hope theyve not been hacked..weird stuff lately with lots of stuff getting pirated. hope its not a sabotage thing..haha im paranoid. im sure its nothing
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

I'd say they are updating the site for all the new goodies that are about to go on sale
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, site is offline here.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

hacker attack as usually
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
I'd say they are updating the site for all the new goodies that are about to go on sale
yes we are testing new products, they will be on sale soon
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick81 View Post
I hope theyve not been hacked..weird stuff lately with lots of stuff getting pirated. hope its not a sabotage thing..haha im paranoid. im sure its nothing
yes as usually. Ayway they are forcing to improve things in a better way. I think around the middle of april we'll be able to recover really quickly from an attack like this one. Maybe pirates didn't like our advice on malaware.
We are creating products, they wasting their time and damaging people who maybe need support. A reason more for not using pirated software, guys.
It's up to you the choice
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
yes as usually. Ayway they are forcing to improve things in a better way. I think around the middle of april we'll be able to recover really quickly from an attack like this one. Maybe pirates didn't like our advice on malaware.
We are creating products, they wasting their time and damaging people who maybe need support. A reason more for not using pirated software, guys.
It's up to you the choice
Sorry to hear that. Hope you guys are back up and running soon…
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah I was getting that too trying to submit a support ticket.
So what happened? Hackers tried to get what?
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Guru

A built a new DAW and put in a request for a new license about two weeks ago but never got a license back with the supposedly automated process. Is this due to being hacked? Yes pirating sucks but how else would honest paying customers be able to use the product they bought? heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search