All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nebula must have
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Guys can someone explain the AlexB Panner to me?

I'm using Ableton 10, it has the "regular" panner and the "split stereo" panner. I experimented with the 3db AlexB Panner and it sounds "better", more natural in the stereo field. Maybe I'm imagining things?

What does it do which your DAW's panner does not? I tried matching settings (quarter, third, half way, then full) and of course the full left-right matches up with each but in-between I hear the difference.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

hey , just to say Im using the vnxt reverbs - all the big plates on the new 2019 macbook pro - and it is a doddle - i can run a dozen of them at once - the fan never kicks in - i was using the 2014 mid macbook pro only a month ago and that thing could not cope with it at all - all the n4 stuff doesnt stress the new macbook at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
Bought the VNXT version. Really pleased with it. Yeah buffer is at maximum, interestingly Nebula seems to be usually super efficient (at least most programs), but reverbs kill it all. But I'm fine with it, I simply use plugin reverbs then switch them around at the end (after freezing most channels). Then do bus/master processing separately after printing.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post
hey , just to say Im using the vnxt reverbs - all the big plates on the new 2019 macbook pro - and it is a doddle - i can run a dozen of them at once - the fan never kicks in - i was using the 2014 mid macbook pro only a month ago and that thing could not cope with it at all - all the n4 stuff doesnt stress the new macbook at all.
Nice. I have 2018 macbook pro, the i5 version, and it runs 3x to 4x more AA plugs then my previous desktop with i7 4790k (which in regular benchmarks still is better). Now i can load 8-10 Crimsons easy (previously just 3). It would seem that AA plugs like the newer generation cpu's better. The same of course for N4 programs.

Last edited by 7blanche; 1 week ago at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Precise
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7blanche View Post
Nice. I have 2018 macbook pro, the i5 version, and it runs 3x to 4x more AA plugs then my previous desktop with i7 4790k (which in regular benchmarks still is better). Now i can load 8-10 Crimsons easy (previously just 3). It would seem that AA plugs like the newer generation cpu's better. The same of course for N4 programs.
Wow, impressive!
My Mac Pro 2010, 2x3,33 12 cores can handle just 2 instances of Crimson.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Hi, Guys!
I have a question. (@RJHollins?) Does anybody know what outboard gear did AlexB use in his presets in consoles (GTR, AmbFX, MModern and so on)? Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
Line and Mic preamps are two different thing as the mic is a bit more "colored". Usually instrument levels get to the line input (bypassing the mic preamp), while the mic input will be "transformed up" to line (console) level. Even on cheaper mixers you usually find separate line and mic ins.
Thanks! Yes. But does it mean, that Mic program has sampled both Mic Preamp and line device, or it is separate, and I should put Mic Preamp program after Line in program?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

can anyone suggest something for me please ?

right - I'm looking for a nebula prog that will do special panning .... I've been using the Boz pan knob and I love it

I have heard Alex b does a special panner - is that right and what is it ?

I am new to this natural panning thing and its great - anyone point me in the direction of nebula panner if there is one please ?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:

right - I'm looking for a nebula prog that will do special panning .... I've been using the Boz pan knob and I love it

I am new to this natural panning thing and its great - anyone point me in the direction of nebula panner if there is one please ?
Yes AlexB has a panner. If you buy any of the SSL console you get a -4.5db panner, not sure about where I got the -3db one, I don't remember which one had it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Check out TimP's CadPan too.

https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/cadpan/
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

thanks guys - yeah i will buy the cadpan one - thanks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I use Pan Knob all the time, it's brilliant! I could be wrong but I'm not sure the nebula panning is the same idea, they implement different pan laws as opposed to what pan knob does which is only panning selected frequencies.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
I use Pan Knob all the time, it's brilliant! I could be wrong but I'm not sure the nebula panning is the same idea, they implement different pan laws as opposed to what pan knob does which is only panning selected frequencies.
What are the benefits of using such bread and not that of DAW itself?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
But cadpan has no xover.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

once you try the boz pan thing then the normal daw L/R seems to sound bad. Its like you can set the L/R a bit forward and backwards also to similate depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Despite all the advantages of Pan Knob plug - it's algo and have the same disadvantage like all algo plugs - the static code in core of the development. So therefore even pan in nebula will be more natural, cos FR and phase sampled and react dynamically.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Ah , so thats what im interested in - this natural panning sound - I thought the boz one was great - but if theres better ones i want to hear about it - any suggestions anyone for cracking ideas on how to get some good panning ones for nebula other than the tim p one above - or are there other choices to get naturual panning other than Boz pan and Goodhertz pan?

I was listening to this cracking Goblin album from the 70s and their panning was great - maybe a bit full on but very natural sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlandsamuel.re View Post
Despite all the advantages of Pan Knob plug - it's algo and have the same disadvantage like all algo plugs - the static code in core of the development. So therefore even pan in nebula will be more natural, cos FR and phase sampled and react dynamically.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Hi guys. A couple of useful bits of info from Tim P on facebook.

1. If you have T-Tape for N4 (not N3) download the latest version. It fixes a kern length problem which comes from a new N4 cpu setting.

2. Explaining Opto32 Tim said that the "TILT FREQ is basically a way of controlling the program dependent attack on the low end. You can change the speed of attack on low end material. It also acts as a kinda eq tilt in the sidechain. Turn it to the right and you will pull sensitivity away from the lows... this can be subtle depending on the material used on. It’s changing the effectiveness of the auto attack time on the lows. Turn to the left and you will increase sensitivity to lows. The middle is approximating the hardware. +/- was used as this is a program dependent feature."

Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi guys. A couple of useful bits of info from Tim P on facebook.

1. If you have T-Tape for N4 (not N3) download the latest version. It fixes a kern length problem which comes from a new N4 cpu setting.
Can you point me to that post...I don't see any mention of that update on FB..

Thanks,
LC
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclyman View Post
Can you point me to that post...I don't see any mention of that update on FB..

Thanks,
LC
I have summarised them, but here are the discussions:
https://facebook.com/groups/70392743...809558155&_rdr
2. https://facebook.com/groups/21611862...08060646083551
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, there it was...and as you posted, it would be better if Tim let his customers know directly.

Thanks for the links..

LC
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Is it me or is algo kicking some serious ass right now? I’ll never stop using Tim P stuff...but damn. Kazrog, EndeavorFX, Airwindows, even Apogee is on fire right now. All extremely Low CPU hits. I’m basically only here for Tim P updates...
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
Ok i'm back from working on analog repair...

so as we have seen mentioned lbus update is coming. With the feedback tweaks (separated element,feedback and level dependent release time) made in other comps and also the glue mod. Note also I have fixed the old age problem block attack from threshold limitation both of these are exclusive to my libraries. The auto will not really change that much but its important to note this is still the only separated element auto attack in the tech in exsistance imo. There will be no need to select sample rates in the new version.

Edit-I currently can't write about any updates on the forum (some sort of error) so I'm writing here for the time being
Tim P "The Legend".. Glad to have you back and looking forward to the update.
Your libraries have been in every mix that i've done since getting N4 on the 70% off deal that they had a few months ago..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustream View Post
Tim P "The Legend".. Glad to have you back and looking forward to the update.
Your libraries have been in every mix that i've done since getting N4 on the 70% off deal that they had a few months ago..
Where did you write that? Is there a departure date? L-bus is my favorite compressor among any nebula, aqcua and any plugin, I use it always and in everything! And I'm waiting for the V2 of l-bus to decide if I buy a 500 series SSL
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianjackson View Post
Is it me or is algo kicking some serious ass right now? I’ll never stop using Tim P stuff...but damn. Kazrog, EndeavorFX, Airwindows, even Apogee is on fire right now. All extremely Low CPU hits. I’m basically only here for Tim P updates...
It's just you..... lol.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
It's just you..... lol.

@ corianjackson , Algos are cool and will always have their place, right under AA tech! Haha! Jk

On another note, L-Bus 2 is looking promising! Alpha version is already competitive with top contenders and is potentially the best-sounding, in reference to the CURRENT market, IMO. BUT!!!! It must be also be very accurate to the hardware, on individual elements, at high & low gain reduction, long sustained elements, and fast transient material, so I’m assuming, that alone is going to make the process more time consuming. I’m just glad that Tim is officially back and is working hard to get us the best tools possible. Peace.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut
Well..if and when Tim P ever decides to do a console I’ll be first in line
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianjackson View Post
Well..if and when Tim P ever decides to do a console I’ll be first in line
+9999 to SSL console and Eq's, especially Brown 02 and Black 242 and we have the full SSL setup along Gbus and channel XR618/XR418 from Cupwise.

I want SSL eq's from Petherick, cos Alexb's has the fu cking ripple and i loose the low end. Recently compared them to Sand 3 eq's and low end was completely better, cos they have a less ripple. But the harmonics are so lo low, compared to hardware.

So, SSL eq's from Tim - it's a Jedi Magic - no ripple at all, no chirp and true level of harmonics = best low end ever)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search