The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

oh and I use to love softube plugins...Ask me how many I use now...ZERO
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Hey thanks. I am somewhat smart and have been recording forever so it's odd to be tossed into the idiot-newbe pile. That's OK-----------I will weather the storm. Anything for sound....................
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
Anything for sound....................
I hear ya brother
Old 26th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Right now you are in the tunnel from Shawshank Redemption.... have no worries, your audio will come out clean on the other end.
In about 17 years. heh

[img]http://www.newsn****.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Shawshank-Computation-Final-Dehahs1.jpg[/img]

(it seems I cannot resize the image, my apologies)
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
Holy cow. I'm in the Twilight Zone. Cranky forum-support ( Are you stupid? kind of feel ) post about an email I did not get. The licence installer on my dashboard page takes me back to the home page.........................?.......................cue Twilight Zone guitar riff.

Those old Softube plugs are looking pretty good right about now.
Sounds like you've taken your first bath in the Nebulizer. There is a steady 66.6% chance that any reply you read on the AA forum to a basic question will only create more confusion.

It will all come down to your OCD on sound quality. If you are obsessed with getting the best possible sonics ITB you will likely watch yourself going back for more punishment. And then one day you'll realize... you've just crossed over, into the Nebula Zone.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrhythm View Post
There is a steady 66.6% chance that any reply you read on the AA forum to a basic question will only create more confusion.
99% if the answer comes from Giancarlo or Enrique. I mean no disrespect but the language barrier is a big problem at AA.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Fellas, I started off with Cool Edit Pro. Remember that? My computer almost flew out the window a few times. I can handle it.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
It will all come down to your OCD on sound quality. If you are obsessed with getting the best possible sonics ITB you will likely watch yourself going back for more punishment. And then one day you'll realize... you've just crossed over, into the Nebula Zone.
If I read a statement like that without really knowing what you're talking about I'd be so put off. Nuh uh, won't go near anything like that, it's probably a sect.

But, ... they got me years ago. I was weak, and they knew me better than I know myself. So these days, like an empty shell, I just nod in brainwashee-typical agreement, "yeah dude, what the other dude said! Come on in, it's awesome!".

Tim Cupwise's latest couple of libraries are kicking ass btw
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Ha! The Scientology of Sound! Yeah, I've been looking into the libraries. Very cool stuff----------I'm dyin' to dig in.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac

can i ask why Nebula has such a bad name for installing and using ? is it the installation process ? or the way its registered on your system ? i am about to try the pro version and ive installed software for years and do alot of pc problem solving from os to hardware and just wondered what i am letting myself in for ?
is there one common problem or something that lets down the install process ? and whys it then tricky to us when installed ? love to know what peoples thoughts are so i can medicate myself ready ..
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Yah it is definitely worth weathering the storm of license and setting bull****. It's the best plugin investment you can make. The libraries are extremely cheap and accurate. The EQ's are the best.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdn View Post
can i ask why Nebula has such a bad name for installing and using ? is it the installation process ? or the way its registered on your system ? i am about to try the pro version and ive installed software for years and do alot of pc problem solving from os to hardware and just wondered what i am letting myself in for ?
is there one common problem or something that lets down the install process ? and whys it then tricky to us when installed ? love to know what peoples thoughts are so i can medicate myself ready ..
coders doing design and support/documentation. Coders should never see the light of day, nevermind interact with customers. This is what you get.
Old 26th February 2014
For Mac:

And Learn Digital Audio | Online Education for the Modern Music Producer seems to have some interesting courses (besides the library list).
Still collecting information.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Also, remember that newer versions of OS X make the Library folder invisible by default. In order to install these, you'll have to make the folder visible. Here's how:
OS X Is Hiding Your Library Folder

Good luck!
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
...The forum guys are cranky because every week there is someone like you who asks the same questions...
If you're referring to Support answers then yes they could use a tune-up. My experience is that there are end-users who sometimes pass along 'folklore' (including myself) and Preset Developers (who sample audio equipment) and Beta-Testers who are willing to discuss mis-conceptions and some settings issues. I don't find it to be a scary judging forum like some places.

It seems to me it is kind of a word-of-mouth environment where the documentation and UI haven't yet caught up. The tech-tips section of the website may tell you, don't touch this setting. A preset developer in a forum may tell you, for my preset touch this setting, they usually document those settings in their own manuals. Who's on first? Can take some time to know what to listen to and believe - kind of like the internet. The Nebula UI exposes a lot of internal developer-only settings so I ran into trouble with that a little also.

You kind of have to keep your hat on, keep a sense of humor and a lot of patience.

@unsung - I started with Cool Edit96 and know what you mean.

Anywho - that's my experience so far. I like the Nebula sound a lot but also just picked up the new IK multimedia 432 EQ and like that a lot 2, walking both worlds ITB. As far as Nebula must-haves I'm currently working with Cupwise 660 and AlexB MFC, CDSM Songtec EQ, putting them thru their paces.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you gents. I really appreciate the help. I have gotten as far as the video instructs. ( I'm PC by the way---but it seems the same ). It's the bit that comes after that that is confusing me. It's the middle of the night in Italy----I'll wait and bug them again.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Nut

I have found Cupwise' posts and manuals to be the most helpful and articulate, although a bit long winded sometimes (but sometimes that's needed to make sure one gets it). He also seems to understand the Nebula engine better than any other 3rd party developer. Reading some his posts and library manuals (available on his site) may help one to more quickly understand the different settings, etc.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have found Cupwise' posts and manuals to be the most helpful and articulate, although a bit long winded sometimes (but sometimes that's needed to make sure one gets it). He also seems to understand the Nebula engine better than any other 3rd party developer. Reading some his posts and library manuals (available on his site) may help one to more quickly understand the different settings, etc.
+1 and also Tim Petherick
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

When I do get this thing going, what do you guys recommend I start with? Just a few eqs, comps and reverbs.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Nut

EQ: I like the BMQ (API) and Pultec from from AlexB
Comp: Creamy 660 from cupwise seems to be the 'best' out there in Nebula land
Reverb: for vocals you need the VNXT EMT 140
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiw View Post
EQ: I like the BMQ (API) and Pultec from from AlexB
Comp: Creamy 660 from cupwise seems to be the 'best' out there in Nebula land
Reverb: for vocals you need the VNXT EMT 140
These are all excellent, and I would add TimP's EQs, the ELC24 v2 and Silk EQ, to the list.

Cheers,
Eddie
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Henry Olonga Curve Bender presets
get the free STN MCI console EQ for free. very colored.
get the new Henry Vintage Neve 1073 driven. as a preamp. so nice
Cupwise Tape Deck, cassette and reverb stuff are all awesome. stuff you cant get with algo.
also get some vintage filters like STN L Vintage Filter (Langevin) and the the console out
and another STN Powered Bus. very nice on master bus.
NAG Tape
Room Hunters for giving natural space to your instruments.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Any of the Cupwise stuff is great… VNXT plate… Nag tape… AITB EQs… CDSM tape and consoles… Gemini 1176…. there's so much stuff out there for not a lot of money…
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

anyone who hasn't tried nebula3, i only have the free version and it's still highly useful. bedroomproducersblog has links to a bunch of presets for the free one too. i'm gonna buy it but have more pressing needs ATM.
Old 27th February 2014
anyone having trouble with Nebula not compressing the audio?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
anyone having trouble with Nebula not compressing the audio?
Sorry to say (usability problem) some or most nebula compressors don't affect the gain reduction meters properly and some might even make them move. You have to lower the threshold and listen for the compression. Don't know if that's what you meant. If so think of it as good ear training...

But if you meant that you lower the threshold all the way and don't hear it compress then I guess that's something else. Maybe a preset auth or even nebula auth problem...I could guess some more but that gets frustrating, maybe contact the compressor developer or post on the nebula forum?

I use Nebula 3 Pro (it says Nebula 3 I believe), it seems like mine stopped working when I downloaded the wrong update one time. Good luck!
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Well, they have a new website now that's pretty fast, apparently they're hiring some outside help with the language barrier and getting an actual office for AA. The guys are obviously super proud of their product and sometimes it shows a bit

Once you get through the authorization thingy, usually things are pretty breezy after that when buying & installing 3rd party stuff (although now you have to wait for manual confirmation by people like AlexB, thanks to pirates). We're getting there, at increasing speed..

I'm still seriously considering buying a real outboard compressor, the compression just doesn't really cut it with Nebula.

BTTS, the Plex delay from signaltonoize is freaking awesome, especially at lower levels. I just adds some smoothness like that.
Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Well, they have a new website now that's pretty fast, apparently they're hiring some outside help with the language barrier and getting an actual office for AA. The guys are obviously super proud of their product and sometimes it shows a bit

Once you get through the authorization thingy, usually things are pretty breezy after that when buying & installing 3rd party stuff (although now you have to wait for manual confirmation by people like AlexB, thanks to pirates). We're getting there, at increasing speed..

I'm still seriously considering buying a real outboard compressor, the compression just doesn't really cut it with Nebula.

BTTS, the Plex delay from signaltonoize is freaking awesome, especially at lower levels. I just adds some smoothness like that.
using nebula EQ with some outboard compression is quite a sensible process...thats what I do - with a smattering of cupwise nebula compressors and some good algo ones....
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
using nebula EQ with some outboard compression is quite a sensible process...thats what I do - with a smattering of cupwise nebula compressors and some good algo ones....
Agreed.

I've been "interviewing" algo EQs since I started using Nebula because the slow workflow really affects the outcome for me. I think IK's White Channel might be my "cut and maybe boost EQ", with the gate/expander being used a lot. Still haven't found any character EQs in algo form worth the sound.

It seems like even the recent Neb comps still have a bit of hit or miss going on. One day Tim's 33609/Rayphlex/Slick is amazing, and the next day on a different track it's straight BROKEN. Too source dependent thanks to Nebula's limitations. Cupwise has certainly made it further than anyone else in combating this but I still need not be jumping back into my "problem solving brain" unexpectedly.
The 660 is the BEST ITB comp, period. The other Tim's TNT and CDL don't ever "spit" at you, they're just very particular characters. I still find that Abbey Road RS124 clearly competes with Nebula and covers territory it cannot.

What do you find yourself coming back to?
Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
Agreed.

I've been "interviewing" algo EQs since I started using Nebula because the slow workflow really affects the outcome for me. I think IK's White Channel might be my "cut and maybe boost EQ", with the gate/expander being used a lot. Still haven't found any character EQs in algo form worth the sound.

It seems like even the recent Neb comps still have a bit of hit or miss going on. One day Tim's 33609/Rayphlex/Slick is amazing, and the next day on a different track it's straight BROKEN. Too source dependent thanks to Nebula's limitations. Cupwise has certainly made it further than anyone else in combating this but I still need not be jumping back into my "problem solving brain" unexpectedly.
The 660 is the BEST ITB comp, period. The other Tim's TNT and CDL don't ever "spit" at you, they're just very particular characters. I still find that Abbey Road RS124 clearly competes with Nebula and covers territory it cannot.

What do you find yourself coming back to?
re algo EQ I now just stick with Logic EQ which is good enough and also Brainworx hybrid EQ for important jobs...I dont use gates much in electronic music...I dont even use compression too much and maybe use an LA type compressor occasionally - IK White or VC2A...I think I may pick up cupwise 660 to try in these places...
Otherwise I go OTB for master compression...Slate VBC is quite good I have to admit...and I'll use that if I cant go OTB...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search