The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I'm 98% all Nebula here while mixing, I can't go back, I took the N pill and woke up in the Natrix.
Nawberry fields fornever.
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Nut

My God, it's full of stars!
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrhythm View Post
My God, it's full of stars!
Huh??
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Guys i'm working on a new song/mix 95% nebula and itb. I even sold my dangerous d-box. you guys should hear the depth of that ****. sounds like pro stuff and im ****ing retarted. its sound so nice. )) im getting there
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Nebula is the Hattori Hanzo of plugins.
Old 22nd February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
i wish people would get over the clunky GUI and use their ears while mixing!
Well, I think the biggest problem is: e.g. when I have a Pultec emulation plugin on my screen I know what to do. Turn the right knobs. Nebula works totally different and that makes it 'difficult' to understand (I guess). The reason I'm interested at this moment is because it has such an overwhelming positive feedback about the sound results. But I'm confused about demo'ing it.

Nebula Bundle Feature Comparison

Can someone explain to me why there are several buying options? I mean, as far as the page shows, the server bundle seems to be the best one but do I need all the features? The Free Bundle has no '3rd Party Libraries Supported' so that's not an option. Which means that I can't demo it properly (I think?). I do understand why there is a light version. But does this mean that the other 2 could result in CPU issues? Using them on stems instead.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Think of it like this....
Nebula is made by creative geeks, not business men looking for the next big payday.
Nebula at first seems confusing, we've all be there, but with patience you'll figure it out, or give up frustrated. It's not for everyone, akin to Linux. Now if you are patient and willing to change your workflow for quality, Nebula is for you. If you need McDAW convenience, keep using algo plugins, seriously. Nebula is not fast, not convenient and not pretty, but the sound results can be amazing in the box.

Server bundle is for folks that want to run 2nd computer for processing or developers.
Pro bundle has the newest sound engine and cuda support, this is the version most use.
Nebula 3 bundle is the same as pro but an older sound engine (slower) and no cuda support.
All 3 above can use 3rd party packs.
Free version, limited version for trial type use, limited pack support, but free.

I ran the free version on and off for a year, never really impressed. I then decided to take the risk and went with the prov version.... it changed in the box mixing for me, the 3rd party plugs are fantastic. The first time I boosted 10db at 12k on the AITB Mammoth (Manley Massive Passive), I could no longer use algo eq plugins for my music. Then it was verbs, then saturation, filters, amps...... I'm now 98% Nebula on every mix and after 15 years of mixing in a computer, I am happy. It's not for everyone, but it is for me.

Nebula is the Hattori Hanzo of plugins, in the hands of the right person, amazing results can happen, lol.

Good is the enemy of great, and I personally strive for great.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamikemusic View Post
Well, I think the biggest problem is: e.g. when I have a Pultec emulation plugin on my screen I know what to do. Turn the right knobs. Nebula works totally different and that makes it 'difficult' to understand (I guess). The reason I'm interested at this moment is because it has such an overwhelming positive feedback about the sound results. But I'm confused about demo'ing it.

Can someone explain to me why there are several buying options? I mean, as far as the page shows, the server bundle seems to be the best one but do I need all the features? The Free Bundle has no '3rd Party Libraries Supported' so that's not an option. Which means that I can't demo it properly (I think?). I do understand why there is a light version. But does this mean that the other 2 could result in CPU issues? Using them on stems instead.
The free version is an ok demo, it comes with a huge collection of presets to use. The presets are all made from the same 3rd party devs that sell the larger libraries, so you get an idea abut what is available. I have never had the best performance from the free version, so in that respect, it is not the best representation of the power and sound of Nebula.
In regards to which version to get, I always suggest to buy whatever you can afford. Even if you don't need ALL of the features of the server version, for example, it is the best version (CPU and RAM use, investing in future options, etc). There have always been many buying options with Nebula, and while I like that they are trying hard to cater to so many needs, I do agree that maybe this could be one thing that they could simplify. Of course, if they remove the cheaper (and less flexible) version, SOMEONE will complain and accuse them of "gouging" customers, or something like that. Again, buy as high as you are able.
My statements about the GUI are personal, I come from an audio life of all hardware, and in that world I would often work with the lights out to force myself to not stare at controls and just USE MY EARS. I usually leave the lights up now since I can't feel the mouse cursor in the dark..... but the generic GUI of Nebula has been a great replacement for the purpose of using my ears and not getting influenced by a GUI. The presets are all labelled well, the functionality is obvious for the various presets (has been for me, at least).
I would be a liar if I told anyone that Nebula was easy to understand, easy to use, and was great at speeding up my work-flow... I would also be lying if I said that it is a brainless task using it....
But speaking strictly personally with full awareness that my opinions may be mine only, I made the decision many years ago to be constantly searching for ways to better my audio as technology makes new tools available to me. Many of the tools I have come across and have tried were more "placebo" than something that actually improved my audio in any way (sound quality, work-flow, whatever). But I would hate the idea of not having access to my collection of virtual hardware for my work, my ears tell me that it is good and necessary.
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Nebula is the Hattori Hanzo of plugins.
LOL! so true ...
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Think of it like this....
Nebula is made by creative geeks, not business men looking for the next big payday.
Nebula at first seems confusing, we've all be there, but with patience you'll figure it out, or give up frustrated. It's not for everyone, akin to Linux. Now if you are patient and willing to change your workflow for quality, Nebula is for you. If you need McDAW convenience, keep using algo plugins, seriously. Nebula is not fast, not convenient and not pretty, but the sound results can be amazing in the box.

Server bundle is for folks that want to run 2nd computer for processing or developers.
Pro bundle has the newest sound engine and cuda support, this is the version most use.
Nebula 3 bundle is the same as pro but an older sound engine (slower) and no cuda support.
All 3 above can use 3rd party packs.
Free version, limited version for trial type use, limited pack support, but free.

I ran the free version on and off for a year, never really impressed. I then decided to take the risk and went with the prov version.... it changed in the box mixing for me, the 3rd party plugs are fantastic. The first time I boosted 10db at 12k on the AITB Mammoth (Manley Massive Passive), I could no longer use algo eq plugins for my music. Then it was verbs, then saturation, filters, amps...... I'm now 98% Nebula on ever mix and after 15 years of mixing in a computer, I am happy. It's not for everyone, but it is for me.

Nebula is the Hattori Hanzo of plugins, in the hands of the right person, amazing results can happen, lol.
For the record, cuda support is not active right now. So don't look for that any time soon (that's my understanding, at least for now). Also, the server version has some amazing advantages over the other versions even if you are not using it in a server/slave set-up. It uses what they refer to as Ram Sharing, multiple instances of the same preset share RAM space, which is awesome.
And similar to Will, I am still blown away at how much I rely on Nebula to make music sound how I think it should sound. I bought the Server version right as they first released it, even if it was just to show the support at a time when I was using it like the Pro version (natively, on one computer). I am a cheapskate, I don't spend money very comfortably, but Nebula is one product that I was happy to buy the best, so as Acustica improved more and more, I would already be on board with the best of what they offered.
Old 22nd February 2014
Thanks for the replies! Step by step, it all becomes a bit clearer now. I recently bought Slate's Digital VCC and the next one will be UAD's Moog Filter but I'll add Nebula to my list of serious interests and try to find some more tuts, reviews, articles etc. in the meantime.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! Step by step, it all becomes a bit clearer now. I recently bought Slate's Digital VCC and the next one will be UAD's Moog Filter but I'll add Nebula to my list of serious interests and try to find some more tuts, reviews, articles etc. in the meantime.
Of course I am biased, but neither of those products comes close to Nebula for sound quality. UAD is a little closer to my ears, but still not close enough. Slate's stuff is awesome for algo plugins, but still flat algo for my tastes.
Old 22nd February 2014
Luckely for me I'm not a mixing pro (yet) so I can be satisfied a little bit easier .. well .. for now heh
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Step by step is really ok, I do believe to get the best from Nebula you should have a very good skill set and know the equipment from each pack.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't sweat the decision too much. You can always pick up the pro version and upgrade to server if you feel you need the extra features. Plus, it'll only cost you the difference in price between the two.

As far as demos, there ARE a few that'll work with the free version of Nebula. If I recall, Cupwise offers demos of some of his libraries. I think a few others do too. You may want to check here or the Neb forums:
Nebula Universal Program Explorer

As far as sound quality goes, I agree with richinmusic. It was a pretty easy decision to sell my UAD cards once I picked up Nebula and a few good (native) algo plugs. Good luck…
Old 22nd February 2014
Thanks for the reply!

I started to collect a list with products, starting with emulations I already have in plugin format so I can easily compare them (when I decide to buy of course). Seems that Henry Olonga, Alex B and - which I already mentioned before - CDSoundMaster have several interesting toys. heh But I think I need to do some more research first when it comes to real hardware. Because I don't recognize all the Nebula emulations (yet).

Strange thing by the way, plugins are much more expensive.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Is there anything like the uad moog? I think someone modelled some moog filters but I'm not sure how like for like the comparison would be
Old 22nd February 2014
When using the Nebula Universal Program Explorer and searching for Moog there are several examples but I'm also not sure which one comes 'closest' to the UAD. I see The VSF Vintage Synth Filters are based on Minimoog / Korg MS20 and I do know Cytomic has add new Sallen Key MS2 filters to The Drop which sound great. So that's comparable I guess.

Same with this one: I saw a tutorial with the SC81 SideCar 81 Console and because I have the Waves VEQ4 and demo'ed the UAD Neve 1081 I know how the emulation should work. I think this is a great way to enter the Nebula world between now and .. hmz .. when my money tree has grown.
Old 23rd February 2014
Lives for gear

STN Moog filter Nebula set comes the closest to........ a Moog, lol.
Old 23rd February 2014
Yep.
Quote:
True Analog-Sounding VCF Emulation in a Table Top Filter Set Plug-In
The Moog Multimode Filter represents the first truly analog-sounding VCF (voltage controlled filter) emulation made for mixing, performing, creating, or destroying. The Multimode Filter combines the best of Bob Moog’s classic designs with select features from his final Voyager instrument. UA meticulously modeled the analog behavior of the historical 4-pole ladder filter including all of the non-linearities of the original.
Moog 4pole – Nebula Programs | signaltonoize.com
Quote:
Goal = capture the analog LowPass filter from the Moog Voyager RME.
Details
4 pole lowpass-resonant filter.
Captured @ 24bit/96k
Programs
Moog 4pole Standard
Moog 4pole Sharp
Moog 4pole Soft
Old 23rd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
When using the Nebula Universal Program Explorer and searching for Moog there are several examples but I'm also not sure which one comes 'closest' to the UAD. I see The VSF Vintage Synth Filters are based on Minimoog / Korg MS20 and I do know Cytomic has add new Sallen Key MS2 filters to The Drop which sound great. So that's comparable I guess.

Same with this one: I saw a tutorial with the SC81 SideCar 81 Console and because I have the Waves VEQ4 and demo'ed the UAD Neve 1081 I know how the emulation should work. I think this is a great way to enter the Nebula world between now and .. hmz .. when my money tree has grown.
AlexB's VSF collection is a must have for any synth lover. Seriously...it adds magic. I can't find other words to describe it. I use one of the 3 filter types of all my synths. My favorite one being the Korg.
Old 23rd February 2014
Lives for gear

i only have nebula3 free but even that is dope as hell.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

I've heard that it is a difficult adventure but I decided to jump right in.....................Already flummoxed. I have a licence to download, but where does it go? Or am I waiting for something else? Reminds me of when I first started recording on the computer. Anyways---------excited about it.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
I've heard that it is a difficult adventure but I decided to jump right in.....................Already flummoxed. I have a licence to download, but where does it go? Or am I waiting for something else? Reminds me of when I first started recording on the computer. Anyways---------excited about it.
go to the AA forum ... the GANG is there to help ... but only if you're worthy.

Moog Filters ... I got the Moog filters from AlexB ...

they are nothing short of STUNNING.

As with most all of the 3rd party library developers, these guys pour their heart and soul into these libraries. It's an un-believable amount of work to test, experiment, and fine-tune .... then to deliver at a very affordable price.

For me ... I have trashed nearly all my algo plugins [oh they do what they say], but for my work, I prefer the sounds that Nebula brings.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

It's a total rewiring of how to work and what to use, but the results are nothing short of amazing. I've been sending my newer mixes out to friends in the biz and they want to know what studio I'm mixing at and what board I'm now mixing on, he he. I don't have the heart to tell them it's all PC, LOL!

I'm also close to removing almost all of my algo plugs, I may wait until my next computer redo and just install the 5-8 I still use, lol.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
I've heard that it is a difficult adventure but I decided to jump right in.....................Already flummoxed.
Right now you are in the tunnel from Shawshank Redemption.... have no worries, your audio will come out clean on the other end.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks fellas ------------ feel better already
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Nebula takes patience but the end results shine. You'll be challenged to rethink in the box mixing, you'll miss your old McAlgo plugs convince but the sound will make it worth it.... unless you need the fast food audio turnaround, if you do, maybe Nebula is not right for you. As always, to each their own.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Holy cow. I'm in the Twilight Zone. Cranky forum-support ( Are you stupid? kind of feel ) post about an email I did not get. The licence installer on my dashboard page takes me back to the home page.........................?.......................cue Twilight Zone guitar riff.

Those old Softube plugs are looking pretty good right about now.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

hey my man I hear you. I got pissed off SO OFTEN because of Nebula (still do) but it's just the way it is. It's pretty much an open source project if you think about it. Anyone can grab NAT, sample gear and then sell it.

The forum guys are cranky because every week there is someone like you who asks the same questions. Of course to me that means the website/user manual really suck but whatever...it's just the way it is. Believe it or not, it's MUCH MUCH better than it was about year ago when I got into it.

All in all...you need to know this. It will take you a good month before being somewhat comfortable with Nebula but it will be very rewarding.

You can PM me any time for questions if you want

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search