The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

There is constant "cross pollination" in the audio industry, so maybe it is possible. If so, I wish Nebula would benefit from Slate-type GUI's. Perhaps their upgrade will accomplish this. Only thing holding Nebula back, IMHO.
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

I just noticed that CDSoundMaster has VST plugins that operate outside of Nebula. Has anyone tried them?
Old 10th February 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
I just noticed that CDSoundMaster has VST plugins that operate outside of Nebula. Has anyone tried them?
Sounds like aqua engine plugins, but I've honestly no idea if thats always the case
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've tried a couple of the console plugs - sounds just like the Neb libraries, IMO.

There are demos available so try them out and see what you think:
CDS Music software, buy vst plugins | Music recording software
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I've tried a couple of the console plugs - sounds just like the Neb libraries, IMO.
Wouldn't it be better then to buy the VST plugins, from a workflow standpoint?

Ideally you'd probably want both, so you have the option of using them in Nebula "chains" too.
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better then to buy the VST plugins, from a workflow standpoint?

Ideally you'd probably want both, so you have the option of using them in Nebula "chains" too.
I guess that depends. I like having Nebula because I can load it with any library I want. And, the libraries are inexpensive…

IMO, the plugins are cool because they give you a GUI if you prefer it. Plus, if you buy the Neb library, Michael will give you a really nice discount on the plugin version so you can have both if you want.

BTW, the demo/free plugs are a good way to try some of the Nebula libraries before you buy them.
Old 10th February 2014
yeah those CDSoundmaster aqua plugins are great and many people say they load and even sound preferable...
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
yeah those CDSoundmaster aqua plugins are great and many people say they load and even sound preferable...
Cool, I'll have to get the VSTs for sure then. How does R2R compare to UA Studer or Slate VTM?
Old 10th February 2014
Quote:
Cool, I'll have to get the VSTs for sure then. How does R2R compare to UA Studer or Slate VTM?
Id look at the Apex - that one looks very sweet...I have R2R and its cool - you want to team it up with the Tapebooster VST or programs...and ideally the VTMM2...to my ears it sounds more natural than those other plugins...

There is a demo vs VTM here

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8619394-post141.html
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Id look at the Apex - that one looks very sweet...I have R2R and its cool - you want to team it up with the Tapebooster VST or programs...and ideally the VTMM2...to my ears it sounds more natural than those other plugins...

I listened to the demo. VTM sounds good, but I think Nebula/VTMM2 sounds better. So I guess the CDSoundmaster stuff is a must have.

I'm trying to decide if the Alex B Modern Flagship Console (88RS) is on my must have list, as it's on sale for 2 more days.
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Finally got my RS88 authorized.. man, this is IT! I didn't really expect it to be so punchy.. gotta also love the low end saturation and the smooth highs. The "Cine" preset is god given for the stuff I do.

Yeah, it truly is the "ultimate" console.
Hey ultra, what size is the download for MFC?
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey ultra, what size is the download for MFC?
It's actually pretty small since there's now only one line amp and one mic pre program, around 700MB. If you want a punchy, fat console with smooth highs, I'd totally recommend it. Best console prog I've ever heard hands down.
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
It's actually pretty small since there's now only one line amp and one mic pre program, around 700MB. If you want a punchy, fat console with smooth highs, I'd totally recommend it. Best console prog I've ever heard hands down.
I've been listening to the Alex B pop demo song, it's stuck in my head right now actually. MFC does seem to do something good to the mix.

I may skip the Nebula console thing though, as I'll probably end up mixing through a console or "vibey" summing bus anyway. Apex library, TB+ and VTM-M2 are on my must have list, and probably R2R too. I plan to get Nebula Man for batch processing of tracks pre-mix.

I'm now viewing this "tape stage" as an essential part of the production process that digital recording cuts out. I think this is why people are loving the Burl and JCF A/D converters, they do some of the work for you. For some music you might not want to take the digital edge off, but in most cases it seems better to my ears.
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

These are really incomparable. The VTMM2 has much more compression than VTM. I love Nebula but it doesn't do what VTM does.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
These are really incomparable. The VTMM2 has much more compression than VTM. I love Nebula but it doesn't do what VTM does.
Are you suggesting VTM as "Stage 3" (instead of VTM-M2) after Nebulizing with R2R/Apex and TB+? CDSoundmaster does mention that compression and limiting are part of what VTM-M2 does.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you suggesting VTM as "Stage 3" (instead of VTM-M2) after Nebulizing with R2R/Apex and TB+? CDSoundmaster does mention that compression and limiting are part of what VTM-M2 does.
Absolutely he does, there are posts about it he made regarding compression. Since Nebula does not encompass compression and circuit "soaking"/limiting or what would come across as tape compression in this case, he set out to create a complimentary vst that handles that aspect.

I wouldn't suggest VTM as stage 3 only because VTM is all inclusive with the different stages of tape. So you'll be doubling up on certain stages. I mean if you like the sound of that, go for it. I'm just offering my perspective from a technical standpoint.

What I'd do instead, if you'd like to try something else, grab yourself a really transparent compressor and place it at the end of the Nebula tape chain. Set a super low threshold, so in other words it is affecting most of the signal most of the time. Set a super fast attack like 1 ms and fast release like 100ms. Then, a ratio of like 1.1. It works pretty well and allows for more control over that type of compression.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

So I've spent a bunch on Alex b and Henry Olga's libraries along with a few others - with the new nebula coming up, will my libraries be safe ie will work flawlessly with the new version?
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Absolutely he does, there are posts about it he made regarding compression. Since Nebula does not encompass compression and circuit "soaking"/limiting or what would come across as tape compression in this case, he set out to create a complimentary vst that handles that aspect.

I wouldn't suggest VTM as stage 3 only because VTM is all inclusive with the different stages of tape. So you'll be doubling up on certain stages. I mean if you like the sound of that, go for it. I'm just offering my perspective from a technical standpoint.

What I'd do instead, if you'd like to try something else, grab yourself a really transparent compressor and place it at the end of the Nebula tape chain. Set a super low threshold, so in other words it is affecting most of the signal most of the time. Set a super fast attack like 1 ms and fast release like 100ms. Then, a ratio of like 1.1. It works pretty well and allows for more control over that type of compression.
Thanks for that. I wouldn't want to repeat processes either.

Funny you should mention it, I was looking at transparent algo compressors to pair up with Nebula earlier today. I think some of the Nebula libraries I've seen are actually meant to be used that way, they just give you the amplifier stages of a dbx160, for example. I just got DMG Compassion in a used bundle, haven't even tried it yet. Any other suggestions? DC8C, Flux, TDR, etc...

I'm planning to batch process individual tracks with Apex and TB+, then put VTM-M2 on output busses. I realize there are a million combinations you could do, that's just one way of approaching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
So I've spent a bunch on Alex b and Henry Olga's libraries along with a few others - with the new nebula coming up, will my libraries be safe ie will work flawlessly with the new version?
Yes that was mentioned earlier in this thread, or in the linked thread at Acustica forum. Existing libraries will work with Nebula 4, which reminds me, isn't Trinity EQ supposed to be out, like, last week?
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

jdunn I like any of those for the task. Of course if I'm not mistaken the DC8C has the ability to turn the saturation on and off, correct?
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I was suggesting is that they are different products that make entirely different sounds. I wouldn't use them together.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
jdunn I like any of those for the task. Of course if I'm not mistaken the DC8C has the ability to turn the saturation on and off, correct?
Yes the Smooth setting is supposed to be transparent. They have no demo, but everyone says "Just buy it", so I probably will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
What I was suggesting is that they are different products that make entirely different sounds. I wouldn't use them together.
That's what I thought, just checking.
Old 16th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been listening to the Alex B pop demo song, it's stuck in my head right now actually. MFC does seem to do something good to the mix.

I may skip the Nebula console thing though, as I'll probably end up mixing through a console or "vibey" summing bus anyway. Apex library, TB+ and VTM-M2 are on my must have list, and probably R2R too. I plan to get Nebula Man for batch processing of tracks pre-mix.

I'm now viewing this "tape stage" as an essential part of the production process that digital recording cuts out. I think this is why people are loving the Burl and JCF A/D converters, they do some of the work for you. For some music you might not want to take the digital edge off, but in most cases it seems better to my ears.
I'm using Otari @30ips, a Pultec, TC Phoenix and Satin @15ips (not Nebula) besides the console on the master. Also usually RND tape on individual groups, so that's a tons of tape there. The console programs gives good punch, saturation and width, so it just sounds better IMO. It also smooths out the highs nicely. But to each their own.

AlexB has copy protection/auth. now BTW (for obvious reasons)
Old 16th February 2014
Lives for gear

I'm really loving NAG @30 -10 right now. I can't get enough VCult or HO's Vulture distortion sets on synths, especially those gritty or pumping synths.... just gives them an edge with such good bite. I have to also say HO's preamps and mics have become indispensable to me, his nebula work is fantastic.
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

I don't understand all the fuzz about the Nag tapes.. I bought them. but I don't seem to hear any real magic or saturation with it.. I drive the input until weird nebula artifact but they are really sensible.. any tips? thanks
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

Don't drive the input much (correct gain is a must) and get some better monitors or high def headphones to hear small details better. I clearly hear NAG, it's a bit darker than CDSM's tapes but it can be just the ticket in a Nebula chain.
Old 20th February 2014
Hmz there are several Nebula threads but let's choose this one. I'm not a user (yet!) but I become more interested. Maybe it's a n00b question, maybe it isn't .. anyway .. here it goes: the way I see it, using Nebula has only a value when I can buy the same releases (or better ones) as the plugins I use. For example: if I use Waves VEQ3+4 or UAD Neve 1073+1081 there should be a similar release for Nebula with better results. Right? Or if I use UAD Ampex ATR-102 + UAD Fatso there should also be a better one. Same with compressors (1176, LA-2A, Tube-Tech), eq's (Pultec, API, SSL, Manley Massive Passive), reverbs (Lexicon) etc. Hardware emulations of course otherwise it won't make any sence (I think?). Does it actually work this way and are such releases indeed available? So searching on the original names will provide a shortlist with the right releases. Found several interesting releases from CDSoundMaster for example. Just asking of course because I'm still trying to understand the whole process a little better before spending money.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamikemusic View Post
Hmz there are several Nebula threads but let's choose this one. I'm not a user (yet!) but I become more interested. Maybe it's a n00b question, maybe it isn't .. anyway .. here it goes: the way I see it, using Nebula has only a value when I can buy the same releases (or better ones) as the plugins I use. For example: if I use Waves VEQ3+4 or UAD Neve 1073+1081 there should be a similar release for Nebula with better results. Right? Or if I use UAD Ampex ATR-102 + UAD Fatso there should also be a better one. Same with compressors (1176, LA-2A, Tube-Tech), eq's (Pultec, API, SSL, Manley Massive Passive), reverbs (Lexicon) etc. Hardware emulations of course otherwise it won't make any sence (I think?). Does it actually work this way and are such releases indeed available? So searching on the original names will provide a shortlist with the right releases. Found several interesting releases from CDSoundMaster for example. Just asking of course because I'm still trying to understand the whole process a little better before spending money.
Well, if you're using any of those plugs and you're happy with them, there's probably not much point in changing anything. But, there are lots of Nebula libraries that many folks think sound better than many of their algorithmic counterparts. Check here for a pretty comprehensive list: Nebula Universal Program Explorer

Of course, the interface and methodology takes some getting used to… but, I think a lot of Neb users would tell you the results are worth it. YMMV of course…
Old 20th February 2014
That's a great start indeed. Thanks!
I recently saw some tuts about analogue mixing in the digital domain and Nebula was also used in one of the examples. These are the things that get my attention recently.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Well, if you're using any of those plugs and you're happy with them, there's probably not much point in changing anything. But, there are lots of Nebula libraries that many folks think sound better than many of their algorithmic counterparts. Check here for a pretty comprehensive list: Nebula Universal Program Explorer

Of course, the interface and methodology takes some getting used to… but, I think a lot of Neb users would tell you the results are worth it. YMMV of course…
i wish people would get over the clunky GUI and use their ears while mixing! Personally, I hope the Acustica team spends as little time as possible on GUI design and spend any available development time on the "engine". The workflow is tough for some people to get used to, but if you can wrap your head around the analog "make decisions, print your fx to tape, move on" perspective, your audio will be golden and you'll never want to be without. The last time I had to work out of my own studio and was on a "Nebula-free" system, I was a bit shocked at how much less I liked the sounds. Nebula has ushered out many of my formerly favorite "algo" plugins. I have even chosen Nebula instances over good hardware when both were available....Nebula is the best of all possible audio tool worlds; great full bodies analog sound with zero maintenance!!
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

I'm 98% all Nebula here while mixing, I can't go back, I took the N pill and woke up in the Natrix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search