The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

I read a bunch of this thread last night, what a fun New Years huh!!?? Anyway, I gathered that Nebula is going to be replaced soon with a new, improved engine that will run the same libraries. So then, instead of buying Nebula now, I should wait. Correct?
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

Really - where did you read that? So are they going to release a proper version or I'll go as far to say as it's out of beta with the new release?
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear
There is a huge update around the corner. It's much anticipated and very good (I am not an employee, but am a tester and can verify that much). And it will relate to the Aqua series as well. By the way, it should be totally safe to buy now. But if you are really worried, email the devs and ask, they are pretty friendly and don't bite TOO hard or often.
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
There is a huge update around the corner. It's much anticipated and very good (I am not an employee, but am a tester and can verify that much). And it will relate to the Aqua series as well. By the way, it should be totally safe to buy now. But if you are really worried, email the devs and ask, they are pretty friendly and don't bite TOO hard or often.
Can you elaborate a little ?
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear
On the Nebula side of things, one of the biggest improvements is that it loads MUCH faster and seems to be more efficient in regards to CPU load. Basically, a better and more robust "engine". On the Aqua side, they are working on improving the performance and user experience tremendously. This is beyond all of the Nebula improvements (you know that they work on the same technology, right?), but beyond that, I am probably not supposed to talk about until Acustica is ready to deliver (sorry, but sometimes too much info can turn into a bad thing...).
If you already like and have Nebula and/or Aqua plugins, then you will be super happy with the new updates. If you have been on the fence with this technology, or even swore it off already, you may want to give it another try when the update comes. I won't say that the work-flow is totally smooth, that would be a lie- this IS Nebula after all. But many of the work-flow issues seem to be related to load times and general CPU heaviness, so the new versions will be welcomed for any user. I personally don't mind the "issues" some other people have with Nebula (GUI, work-flow...). I decided a few years ago that the sound is what matters most in my audio (personal and clients), everything else is secondary. Not everyone agrees with me, so those of you who don't agree, you make up your own minds.
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Really - where did you read that? So are they going to release a proper version or I'll go as far to say as it's out of beta with the new release?
I read it here on the acustica-audio forum, third paragraph in the post by giancarlo.

This led me to believe that a new product, no longer named Nebula, was in the works. Perhaps not.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear
I emailed Giancarlo, the main creator of Nebula, and asked him what he would be comfortable with me spreading around. This is the small quote....
"We are working on [the]next product and adding support to all formats.. Soon acqua will support multi bands and will be loadable from nebula ."

As far as I am concerned, that's pretty cool news.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

ye new auth new hype new product new down payment

“we will even rent an office for 2 months”

I’ve given up on the nebula engine with this current leadership.
Old 2nd January 2014
Quote:
I emailed Giancarlo, the main creator of Nebula, and asked him what he would be comfortable with me spreading around. This is the small quote....
"We are working on [the]next product and adding support to all formats.. Soon acqua will support multi bands and will be loadable from nebula ."

As far as I am concerned, that's pretty cool news.
wow multi bands...I think our CPU and RAM can take it now days so its time...
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post

???
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post

Nebula is not for everyone, but for the people who do like it, there is nothing like it. Regarding the new hype and all, have you tried the new authorization process? It's awesome. I got a few things authorized in minutes, automatic and no issues at all. And as a tester, I can attest for the new improvements and "engine" upgrades. I am excited to be in digital audio these days, and I also think that Acustica is one of the few businesses that stay forward thinking in regards to concepts and implementation. You don't have to agree, you can make up your own mind. But I have gotten rid of so many algo plugins that sound terrible and flat to me after using Nebula pretty heavily for a few years. To each their own, make music and enjoy yourself.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
wow multi bands...I think our CPU and RAM can take it now days so its time...
Indeed. Maybe the one thing that means so much to so many people (less to em though), the GUI and workflow, will finally compete with other plugin formats. Nebula already has the sound, if the GUI gets friendlier, Acustica may make some serious ripples in the plugin market this year.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

So then... not a new product? Does this mean you have to buy Nebula and Acqua now, or is Acqua just the engine?

Now I see why I didn't buy Nebula when I was looking at it a couple years ago, it's confusing as hell. My prediction is, even with the new enhancements, it's still gonna be pretty fiddly for people who are used to algo plugs. And the new GUI probably won't be shiny enough for some.

And Analog In The Box is gone. But still, I want this product. Just please make it more clear what I'm buying. Maybe a decent wordpress page with bigger fonts would help too, Jesus Chr!st! Lol
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
And Analog In The Box is gone. But still, I want this product. Just please make it more clear what I'm buying. Maybe a decent wordpress page with bigger fonts would help too, Jesus Chr!st! Lol
AITB isn't gone. On November 23 they started a thread to announce they are back in business.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
So then... not a new product? Does this mean you have to buy Nebula and Acqua now, or is Acqua just the engine?

Now I see why I didn't buy Nebula when I was looking at it a couple years ago, it's confusing as hell. My prediction is, even with the new enhancements, it's still gonna be pretty fiddly for people who are used to algo plugs. And the new GUI probably won't be shiny enough for some.

haha I felt the same way when I first bought it. Isn't it incredible how such a great product can be managed so terribly?

I initially spent a lot of time researching Nebula because due to the poor documentation available and poor English on their site/forum, I thought it was a scam.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear
I can't disagree about the vague documentation. In my opinion, THAT is the biggest stumbling block that Acustica needs to remove. Using Nebula (that includes downloading, installing, authorizing, actually using it...) is much simpler than it at first appears, but unfortunately the documentation does not make that clear (often it is the documentation that is what causes the confusion, which causes a seemingly endless loop resulting in frustration for many people...). English seems to be the defacto language these days, and English is NOT their strong point.....

I am in frequent contact with the 3 main devs at Acustica, and have just recently urged them to let me help them edit (re-write!! lol) this stuff, so hopefully this language barrier will not be an issue anymore. But I can guarantee that they are not slacking in the development and improvements of their products. I can also promise that they are not out to scam anyone; they are extremely passionate about this technology and merely need some work on their PR stuff......

This is why I am telling people to hang in there if they are frustrated existing users, and to give it another try (when the new versions are released) if they were turned off before. I know that I am only one person and my opinion may not mean anything to some of you, that's fine. I also realize that since I am a tester, it may be viewed that I am "on the inside" and biased. I never publicly support any product if I can not honestly do so, whether I test for them or not. Most of you/us artists and creative types do what our "hearts" tell us to do anyway, so I am sure that any decision about any product will be handled in this fashion anyway. Cheers! Have a happy, creative, artistic, and prosperous New Year everyone.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMaus View Post
AITB isn't gone. On November 23 they started a thread to announce they are back in business.
That's great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
haha I felt the same way when I first bought it. Isn't it incredible how such a great product can be managed so terribly?

I initially spent a lot of time researching Nebula because due to the poor documentation available and poor English on their site/forum, I thought it was a scam.
Hilarious! I never thought it was a scam, but it does require some reading to understand what you're getting into. Then you see people talking about "kernals" and stuff, and you start to wonder if it's worth the hassle. By most accounts, the sound is worth it.

richinmusic, maybe they'll let you work on the webpage a bit too. No but seriously, keep up the good work. I look forward to trying Nebula, or Acqua, or whatever, when the new, improved version is ready.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear
jdunn: Good idea, but unfortunately I am a good audio person, and a skilled writer and editor, but my web design skills are non-existent..... Definitely try things out when you can. The free version is still usable, but not the best promotional tool right now as it is a bit more cumbersome and CPU heavy than even the existing paid for versions. So if you are easily put off or already feeling reluctant, I encourage you to not further annoy yourself...just wait for the new stuff.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

ooohhh interesting news !!!
wow all new 64-bit nebular I reckon ,can't wait !
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Addict
I hear "multi-band with Acqua" and "more efficient" and things start to tingle.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
I hear "multi-band with Acqua" and "more efficient" and things start to tingle.
Yeah I think Chris Matthews just got a tingly feeling down his leg too. <-politics wonk joke.

Quote:
jdunn: Good idea, but unfortunately I am a good audio person, and a skilled writer and editor, but my web design skills are non-existent..... Definitely try things out when you can. The free version is still usable, but not the best promotional tool right now as it is a bit more cumbersome and CPU heavy than even the existing paid for versions. So if you are easily put off or already feeling reluctant, I encourage you to not further annoy yourself...just wait for the new stuff.
I wouldn't say easily put off, but maybe I will wait for the new version to drop. Sounds like it will be a major step forward.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear
Indeed, great things on the horizon for this very forward-thinking technology (in my opinion).
Old 2nd January 2014
their business might be a bit funky compared to the norm - but the Acustica Audio guys are some of the nicest Ive dealt with in the audio world
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Nut

I appreciate the idea that the new Nebula will support the libraries I've already purchased (see jdunn link on this page). I also really like the improvements in sampling techniques over the past year or so and, in some cases, even have to turn the 'drive' down to hit the sweet spot on my master bus. In the beginning a few years ago I could hardly hear the 'color' when I needed it. Nice improvements there! I'll have to see what exactly the multi-band idea is before worrying about it too much - I already use toneboosters flx for crossovers and nebula/acqua mb. There is probably more to it than that so no use me guessing about specifics. Speaking of Acqua several nice ones with CDSoundmaster tapes/tubes as well as the new D361A dolby w/mods sound - nice having more ITB noise reduction 'character' effects to compliment the similar Uhe Satin 'coloration' implementations.

On the downside it does take a learning curve and being careful/knowledgeable with the externalized 'internal' settings, hopefully the new Nebula will have some centralized tips/manual and interface where I can't goof them up as easily. Also 'GAS' has taken me into acquiring way too many great eqs and 'character' sounds, kind of gets in the way so I'm on a 'New Years Diet'...that's my fault
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Multi-band = EQ-heaven..
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
their business might be a bit funky compared to the norm - but the Acustica Audio guys are some of the nicest Ive dealt with in the audio world
I hope nobody takes my criticism too harshly, I like funky businesses. Really I was just waiting until the compressors got better on Nebula platform. Both the Cupwise Rayphlex and Gemini 2500 sound really good, so I'm pretty excited to try it.
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Addict
guys can somebody help me here please, i own nebula 3 pro bundle and i dont know how to use their NAT! I don't even now what is an AQUA engine and how to find it or use it! :( also, i don't know if zabokowski's nebula set ups2 and nebula man are for free or not! In some websites he says it's free in the tools section in acustica's website (which is where i found a free download link for it), and in his website he says its available for purchase!! now i'm confused as hell!! :S why can't they be clear about it!! not to mention the nebula's website is the slowest page on the internet IMO and i can hardly access their forums.. (facepalm)

I love nebula and iv always supported their technology, but i have never felt that their customer support was helful to me, and they always gave very short answers that usually didnt solve my issue but only gave me the feeling that they don't have time for me, or that they'd rather do something else than give me time to solve my problem. So i don't know how some of you persist that they are the nicest devs you've ever dealt with in the music world... (with all duo respect to your opinion ofcourse)

Also, some of you mentioned that they released a new auth or technology, could somebody enlighten me what that is because i feel that i am missing out Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
But if you are really worried, email the devs and ask, they are pretty friendly and don't bite TOO hard or often.
How can i email them straight please? because the only link for support i can find is there product support link on acustica's website, and i am struggling with it ..

Also, could you please tell me what's Aqua? thanks.
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

man all this Nebula talk is driving me insane. No matter how pissed I am about the 64 bit, I can't WAIT to have this beast back.

Someone said it was a placebo effect...I can't disagree more. I don't think anyone that tried Nebula reverb would disagree that it's the best software reverb available by far. Same goes for EQ's, Consoles, etc...

There are only a few other plugins that come close...Like all the Slate Digital stuff and Kush Audio. They clearly are doing something right about recreating analog in the digital world.
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
guys can somebody help me here please, i own nebula 3 pro bundle and i dont know how to use their NAT! I don't even now what is an AQUA engine and how to find it or use it! :( also, i don't know if zabokowski's nebula set ups2 and nebula man are for free or not! In some websites he says it's free in the tools section in acustica's website (which is where i found a free download link for it), and in his website he says its available for purchase!! now i'm confused as hell!! :S why can't they be clear about it!! not to mention the nebula's website is the slowest page on the internet IMO and i can hardly access their forums.. (facepalm)

I love nebula and iv always supported their technology, but i have never felt that their customer support was helful to me, and they always gave very short answers that usually didnt solve my issue but only gave me the feeling that they don't have time for me, or that they'd rather do something else than give me time to solve my problem. So i don't know how some of you persist that they are the nicest devs you've ever dealt with in the music world... (with all duo respect to your opinion ofcourse)

Also, some of you mentioned that they released a new auth or technology, could somebody enlighten me what that is because i feel that i am missing out Thanks.
Programs are not free, they are available for download before purchase for demo purposes, though. Nebula Setups 2 even allows you to save-only setup(s) without a license.

ACQUA engine is Nebula engine (library), which can be used outside Nebula plugin. There are ACQUA based plugins available, also Nebula Setups/NebulaMan programs are using ACQUA for access to Nebula.

NAT is a tool for making Nebula presets/programs. If you don't have an intention to create some, you don't have to bother with it at all. For example, I've never used it for real

btw. Giancarlo promised recently, that Acustica's website will soon be moved to new, faster server.

Sorry for a confusion, hope this clarifies things a bit

Zabukowski (Nebula Setups & NebulaMan creator).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search