The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
Not a good analogy. It's more like driving your BMW into a ****ty part of town and leaving the keys in it and the doors open. That is partly your stupidity. Also, I didn't say he gave me bad services, I said it wasn't stellar.
Is there a reason why you decided to get immature and insulting? I was just responding to your comments. I also never called you stupid. Don't be the same type of dork that gives GS the dorky and negative reputation is gets on other forums. Alex has always been a great guy in my experience, and as far as I'm concerned, no software dev should be stolen from because they decided not to use CP. Either way, he is now, and it will cost the users more money. Don't be such a negative and insulting brat, by the way.
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
Careful with that timed mode stuff. People get so hung up on tweaking their Nebula presets and forget that most of the libraries were released to work mostly as-is, and to work in conjunction with the other libraries without additional tweaks. If you are loading your presets using the standard Nebula Reverb.dll, and have tweaked it to work "best" with some specific library or preset, then that same tweak can sometimes introduce less desirable results with other libraries. I am a huge Nebula user, and after almost 3 years of intense "customizing", I just recently reinstalled and put my xml's to almost default. If you really want to tweak and just affect certain presets, I strongly encourage you to start using Zabukowski's free app Nebula Setups. That has been a huge work-flow saver for me, and far better for my Nebula use than anything else. It allows you to create customized dll's and xml's that are specific to only certain functions/presets/libraries/whatever. I have over 50 specified instances now, and load time for any one of them is a few seconds now because it is scanning only for the few presets that I have told it to. Check that out.
And in regards to Alex and his price hikes; he was very close to considering stopping his work with Nebula libraries due to piracy, he was actually hit very hard. As much as I love the presets to be inexpensive (since I use them very extensively), I am glad that he decided to do that as opposed to quitting. That would be a win for software pirates, as far as I'm concerned. Also, there is a big Nebula update coming soon, and part of that update is...... guess what...... that's right, copy protection for the devs. Before anyone starts fussing, I am confident that it will be as gentle as possible, and as far as I know, it will still be voluntary for the devs to use it or not. But it will be available and I bet that more than Alex will be jumping on it. In the long run, it is good for all of us, I would hate to see Michael Angel (CDSM), Alex, Henry, and may others stop developing libraries for this exciting technology.
You DO know that the TIMED and FREQD modes are program specific and not global settings, right?

But yeah, I gotta admit that the AlexB libraries are hands down my favorites.. I mean, super-enhanced Neves, what else does a boy need? Oh yeah, the Fatso of course

Oh yeah, about the EAR reverbs I purchased.. I compared some of the settings with similar ones of the Lex PCM. It somehow sounds less "glued on" when used on sends, not just adding a layer layer or effect on it. Very addictive, and the library was whooping 15€. No-brainer.
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
You DO know that the TIMED and FREQD modes are program specific and not global settings, right?

But yeah, I gotta admit that the AlexB libraries are hands down my favorites.. I mean, super-enhanced Neves, what else does a boy need? Oh yeah, the Fatso of course

Oh yeah, about the EAR reverbs I purchased.. I compared some of the settings with similar ones of the Lex PCM. It somehow sounds less "glued on" when used on sends, not just adding a layer layer or effect on it. Very addictive, and the library was whooping 15€. No-brainer.
I did know, I had a brain fart, my bad. But even so, I have heard from some of the devs, and many of them are hesitant to go that route- it can be unpredictable. What i really mean is that those tweaks can have a nice effect, but it does not necessarily mean that it will have a great effect across the board. In other words, they release them in the state that they feel is best. But as with many things, if it sounds good to you, then it might be good for you. Just take notes or save your install files!

Have you tried any of CDSM's new EQ's? My current favs, very good to my ears. I also love Henry Olonga's approach with the "mojo" presets. His are the most adaptive and forward-thinking in my opinion. He is addressing the users who might not want to give up their "algo" plugins (familiarity, workflow, CPU efficiency, convenience, etc) but want the elusive "vibe and color" of hardware. I like that he is not trying to offer a supposed direct emulation. And they are ridiculously cheap. Bottom line, there are so many good libraries these days, and more than a few phenomenal and reliable devs. I am loving this age of digital audio.
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear

The TIMED kernels just offer more authentic simulation and to my knowledge they're switched off by default because of the massive CPU hit, so you really can't go wrong with it unless you set the TIMED very, very low.

I haven't tried CDSM EQ's because I really don't need any more libraries. I'm pretty much set up, and finally getting some results I'm happy with. Still drooling for that Bricasti M7 'tho because of certain presets that thing has..
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Is there a reason why you decided to get immature and insulting? I was just responding to your comments. I also never called you stupid. Don't be the same type of dork that gives GS the dorky and negative reputation is gets on other forums. Alex has always been a great guy in my experience, and as far as I'm concerned, no software dev should be stolen from because they decided not to use CP. Either way, he is now, and it will cost the users more money. Don't be such a negative and insulting brat, by the way.
He wasn't insulting you. That was part of his analogy. Read it again.
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Animus, how about creating programs for "Europa" and "Stone Quarry" (or whatever it was called) from the M7? I'd buy them from you. Seriously. Only then my life would be complete.

Love the Thelema avatar BTW
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
If I misinterpreted his comments, then I'll be the first to say I'm sorry. I really am not "that guy" looking for conflict (quite the opposite- I'm told that I am annoyingly positive most of the time). I read "That is partly your stupidity" and my bristles went up. Truce.
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
The TIMED kernels just offer more authentic simulation and to my knowledge they're switched off by default because of the massive CPU hit, so you really can't go wrong with it unless you set the TIMED very, very low.

I haven't tried CDSM EQ's because I really don't need any more libraries. I'm pretty much set up, and finally getting some results I'm happy with. Still drooling for that Bricasti M7 'tho because of certain presets that thing has..
There is a very detailed and massive thread over at the Acustica forum about this. HERE. Like I said, it's long, and from what I have read so far the idea that running something in TIMED mode being "more authentic" seems questionable. Many of the people posting in that are some serious sampling folks, so I am inclined to take their opinions seriously. There is no doubt that the tweak can improve certain presets, or at least make them sound better to you ears and how the preset pertains to your particular needs. But doing the tweak also changes the frequency response, which to my understanding, the changes are not always in an authentic direction. I feel like that is one of the beauties of Nebula- much of the juiciness of analog, but included with options to change the behavior of a "piece of gear" beyond it's reality. So I am not saying it is a bad idea. But if a person is lo0oking for authenticity, working with the TIMED mode is not always getting you there. Besides, the CPU hit can be big enough for some programs that I don't mess with changing these modes just for final mix render when I have been mixing with the presets in the lighter default mode. Whatever works for you is good. It took me long enough to adjust my work-flow working with Nebula, I've just decided to trust the devs decisions on this. As I said, many of the devs I have communicated with don't even deal with the TIMED mode using Nebula in their own music production, so I am perfectly fine with what Nebula is out of the box (mostly).
Old 14th August 2013
Quote:
True, AITB has great CP. It seems to work now, but it was pretty clunky for a while. But what's Alex's fault? That he lost money to pirates? That's an absurd assertion in my opinion. I guess it's my own fault if my computer gets stolen if I leave my house unlocked? That's goofy. Sorry to hear that you have had bad service from Alex..... I have never had anything besides awesome service from him, including many emails describing his libraries. Alex has been a very kind and helpful person for me, especially early in my Nebula experience.
haha - well you would not be wrong and not condoning robbery - but if you leave your house unlocked and get robbed - surely you might feel 'some' responsibility?

However - I dont blame Alex B. The Nebula community for a long time remained a nice community where you could leave your door unlocked. Unfortunately maybe less so now...Alex at one time got stick because he tried to use a protection scheme - so he dropped it. And now he got pirates - its sad. Still not sure putting prices up will help...
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
haha - well you would not be wrong and not condoning robbery - but if you leave your house unlocked and get robbed - surely you might feel 'some' responsibility?

However - I dont blame Alex B. The Nebula community for a long time remained a nice community where you could leave your door unlocked. Unfortunately maybe less so now...Alex at one time got stick because he tried to use a protection scheme - so he dropped it. And now he got pirates - its sad. Still not sure putting prices up will help...
I try to remember that for what a user gets, Alex's prices are still, in my opinion, a much better deal than any algo plugin. But Nebula users (me included) have been unrealistically spoiled by unusually low prices like Henry's, and free stuff that is good. Alex's prices are right up with CDSM's, which I also think are fair. Very few people know how involved it is to sample a piece of hardware, and then assemble the code into a finished preset, even for a mediocre or simple preset. Alex's prices still equate to an average wage for his time, IF he sells enough and IF he doesn't get pirated. If people think his prices are too high, then they have the freedom to not purchase from him. But I think it is his prerogative to raise his prices, and I even think that his prices are still extremely fair. I'll keep supporting his work because I think he delivers amazing quality at fair prices. I'd give him my money long before almost any algo plugin company, there is just no comparison to my ears. To each their own though, go spend your money wherever you see fit.
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey Animus, how about creating programs for "Europa" and "Stone Quarry" (or whatever it was called) from the M7? I'd buy them from you. Seriously. Only then my life would be complete.

Love the Thelema avatar BTW
I will try and do those for you. Not sure it will be that great for Europa as if I remember right there's a lot of modulation in that preset.
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a very detailed and massive thread over at the Acustica forum about this. HERE. Like I said, it's long, and from what I have read so far the idea that running something in TIMED mode being "more authentic" seems questionable.
I've read that, and what you get from that thread is that clean kernels in TIMED mode with high rates will result almost zero aliasing (page 4) and better response. And the DO sound better, especially with preamps and EQs. But whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus
I will try and do those for you. Not sure it will be that great for Europa as if I remember right there's a lot of modulation in that preset.
Oh man, that would be awesome, I think that a lot of people would appreciate that. I love the Cathedral preset on the E.A.R, but it's only around 3.5+ secs or so, I'd need one with 5+ sec tail. Thanks.
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Quote:
If I misinterpreted his comments, then I'll be the first to say I'm sorry. I really am not "that guy" looking for conflict (quite the opposite- I'm told that I am annoyingly positive most of the time). I read "That is partly your stupidity" and my bristles went up. Truce.
Yes Animus is exactly right. You did misinterpret it. Calm down.
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
You're goofy. I calmed down days ago, and even apologized a second time. I thought it had all passed already. Cheers.
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

My next purchase will probably be the full MTP pack (modern tube preamp) from AlexB.. I just cant resist hearing those Mullard tubes. This thing just recently found it's way into my master when I realized that DO want some modern tube warmth (the D.W. Fearn is great for this and I use it as a preamp for some stuff that need some heavy tube flavor, but it sounds even bit TOO vintage some things).

We're spoiled yes, but very grateful
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
My next purchase will probably be the full MTP pack (modern tube preamp) from AlexB.. I just cant resist hearing those Mullard tubes. This thing just recently found it's way into my master when I realized that DO want some modern tube warmth (the D.W. Fearn is great for this and I use it as a preamp for some stuff that need some heavy tube flavor, but it sounds even bit TOO vintage some things).

We're spoiled yes, but very grateful
It is indeed an amazing library. Do you already have the full tube libraries from CDSM? Those are also awesome.....(someone stop me, I recently had to remove some libraries because Nebula has a threshold of how many libraries it can "see", and I exceeded that.....)
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

No, since (once again) there's no demo. I'm not buying anything if I can't try it.

EDIT: Wait, apparently there is.. gonna try it out now.

Thanks for the heads up, but these are VERY different sounding than the MTP, although I can probably find some use for these.. the Tessla has really nice softening effects, I can see how that can be useful on some sources. I still think I'm going for the ADL600 since I've been drooling that for so long for some reason
Old 16th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
You dis Rich, you dis yo' self
Insanely nice guy.
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, since (once again) there's no demo. I'm not buying anything if I can't try it.

EDIT: Wait, apparently there is.. gonna try it out now.

Thanks for the heads up, but these are VERY different sounding than the MTP, although I can probably find some use for these.. the Tessla has really nice softening effects, I can see how that can be useful on some sources. I still think I'm going for the ADL600 since I've been drooling that for so long for some reason
CDSM's tube library is one of the only libraries that I use parts of it on every mix, without question. I have some custom tube processing in my studio, but I have almost retired all of it since getting this library. I use Reaper, and Reaper has an awesome batch-processing tool, and I will batch process practically everything in a project through at least a clean Mullard or something, not as an "effect", but just as a subtle "conditioner" of sorts. That tube library is insanely useful, especially if you get the whole package, with the Tube Booster. The Aqua versions (With gorgeous GUI's ) is an awesome alternative, especially for people who either don't want to take the plunge with Nebula, or just need that GUI experience. Either way, there is something for everyone in Nebula, I would never tell someone that any library is a "must have". Just like a piece of hardware- one set of ears is in heaven with a certain compressor or EQ, and another set of ears feels like there are fingernails on a chalk-board......
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandry View Post
(edited by rich) You Rich, you dis nicely insane guy.

Aw shucks Blandry. I appreciate the nice thoughts, but I took it upon myself to edit your comments and make it more correct......lol.
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear
ultra171: The MTP and the CDSM tube set are definitely very different sounding. I was not trying to compare them at all, actually. I was just mentioning the CDSM because if you like the effect that can be acheived by running an audio signal through tubes of different types and at different saturation stages, the CDSM library is a gold-mine. I know people who have no use for the library, and are much better off with the MTP, or neither. I am probably what is classified as a Nebuholic, so I was just sharing my enthusiasm about the massive CDSM library. No matter what you use, there are very few "clunkers" in the Nebula offerings, all of the many devs are passionate about sampling gear for use in Nebula/Aqua.
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandry View Post
You dis Rich, you dis yo' self
Insanely nice guy.
Thats sweet and all, but I didn't diss anyone. So
Old 17th August 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is indeed an amazing library. Do you already have the full tube libraries from CDSM? Those are also awesome.....(someone stop me, I recently had to remove some libraries because Nebula has a threshold of how many libraries it can "see", and I exceeded that.....)
Oh it does? How many is that...?
Old 17th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Oh it does? How many is that...?
It's actually true, Nebula starts to not see random presets when you get to this threshold.....Something like 9800..... that's individual presets, mind you, not complete libraries. But still, I feel like I need an intervention......
To be fair, some of those were almost duplicates and triplicates from beta-testing for over 3 years.... but it's still too many.
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Animus, still working on those Bricasti presets for me..?

I'll buy you a beer if you come up with these.
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:

Just one? You're not in much of a hurry, are you??
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ultra, I just saw and downloaded a M7 library and presets from STN's site. It's not Nebula and is for Reverberate/convolution verb, but I just checked out the Europa preset and it sounds wicked (didn't see a Stone Quarry preset, however).

The IRs and presets are donationware, didn't have the funds to properly tip STN today but will hit the donation jar next paycheck.

I shoulda posted here instead of starting a new Nebula thread, but I got all caught up in my pending Nebula purchase excitement. I'll start posting queries here.

One question I have is the CDSM Globe/Sphere library... is that based upon or sampled from a Quad8 or something similar? Does anybody have something similar, like an A Designs Pacifica? I'm looking for a console library that's a bit more open, broad.

ultra, I think I read you use AlexB's MWC which is based on the Neve (or is it RND) 5088... would open, broad, 'euphonic' be a good description?

I write/record mostly prog ambient (think Floyd, Yes, Rush, Porcupine Tree mushed up with ambience and Lex224s). I've been looking to open things up. My current ITB stuff is a little flat (the problem is mostly the guy behind the DAW and not the lack of plugins, but every little bit might help).
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
One question I have is the CDSM Globe/Sphere library... is that based upon or sampled from a Quad8 or something similar? Does anybody have something similar, like an A Designs Pacifica? I'm looking for a console library that's a bit more open, broad.
I seem to recall someone saying that it was a Sphere Eclipse desk that was sampled. Maybe someone can verify this?

If it helps, here's what Michael said about it on the Acustica Audio forums:
"The Globe is a collection of a classic vintage console's channels and mains etc, with the eq circuity turned on and off, but it is not an eq collection. If you are looking for a single ideal console for use in mixes, and not looking for a flexible vintage eq, then I personally think the Globe is the prettiest sounding board I have heard, and I like it on every style of music. There are situations where I would choose the N-TEN if using both. Also, the Q8 is from the same family and lineage as the Globe, and is what I consider the ideal eq from that heritage, so if you liked the Globe and wanted to add the best version of its eq into the chain, the Q8 is a perfect choice."
And, from the Q8 page:
"About the "Q8 444X EQ/CONSOLE COMBO". The analog hardware device that this collection is inspired by is a completely custom, top-of-the-line 1970's Film Console. It was built by Quad-Eight Electronics. Quad-Eight is named after a film processing system developed to allow four strips of 8mm film to be processed on a single professional 35mm film strip. The clever name symbolizes the revolution of combining multiple channels of variable impedence sources into a single routing system, which we now know of as the audio mixing console. The entire signal chain, from transformer to op-amp to eq to make-up gain op-amp, is sampled in each program. If you have heard of Electrodyne, Sphere, Quad-Eight, Reichenbach, the AM10, API 2520, Jensen 990, John Hardy 990C, then you have experienced the heritage of this amazing original vintage device. To describe the sound, think Pink Floyd's "The Wall", which was recorded on four interconnected Quad-Eight's usng this preamp! The eq section was originally installed into a custom Quad-Eight film console, made special order to upgrade the standard eq to the 444X, or Super 444. The 444 is the next generation of the earlier 333. It is quasi-parametric, meaning that variable "Q" is provided by the choice of narrow, wide, and shelf band choices. The very few 444X eq's, also known as the QE PE 444X, that are in existence, were made to add more features and editing options while making use of what many consider the best sounding operation amplifier to date, the AM10. The 444X was installed in this single custom console for a brief time and was only in active duty for a brief time. This makes it one of the most priceless examples of a practically new old stock original QE console channel strip, or as it was originally called, the line input module."
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear

AITB is no more :( I hope they have a last chance sale!
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
AITB is no more :( I hope they have a last chance sale!
A last chance sale.... MANY people are hoping for that. From my understanding, unfortunately, they are not planning one for some reason. They really seem to be abruptly bowing out. I totally respect them for it though, Nebula development is not a very lucrative venture even at best. And with software piracy being pretty rampant, more than one Nebula dev has considered getting out and cutting their losses before things get out of hand for themselves. The up-coming Nebula update is most likely going to include the coding in place to allow the library devs to implement copy protection, which is something that we have all been expecting anyway. But on thatv topic and AITB..... whether they have a final chance to get more libraries is far less important to me than them finding a solution to the eventual need for users to reauthorize purchased libraries when they have the inevitable system/hardware upgrade or replacement from catastrophic failure....... ouch.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search