The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 1 week ago
  #4951
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
The only question I have now is whether there are any libraries capable of the API sound that Pink2 does?
Cupwise has a Lunchpail (527) which I can use anywhere for that sound.
Alex B has a 550 A and B which Jpn has skins for.
I believe CD Sound master has a vintage A*I eq, but not sure.and probably not skinned, if that's important. Oh and remember neb eqs are single band. No biggie for me but some hate that.
Old 1 week ago
  #4952
Gear Head
 

Thanks for the tips. Yeah now I just need to start making a list of the Nebula stuff. I really don't know where to start.
Old 1 week ago
  #4953
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
Yeah I think I'm going to go the N4 route after all. Probably grab it Friday. I'm excited now.

The only question I have now is whether there are any libraries capable of the API sound that Pink2 does?
AlexB the 'American 16' Console [API 1608]

and the API 5500 Mastering EQ and the 5A and 5B.
Old 1 week ago
  #4954
Gear Nut
 

One kinda big issue with AlexB stuff right now is a lack of N4 skins. How are you folks working around that? (I sorta get nightmares because, without skins, everything looks like my old KSP8.)


-bryan
Old 1 week ago
  #4955
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma View Post
*And I'm just going to say it: it makes it difficult for newbies when everything about Nebula is in one 5,000-page thread and everything about Aqua is in one 7,000-page thread. There should be multiple threads. Every other individual plug-in on the market has its own dedicated thread here somewhere. So, there should be a thread for Gold and a thread for Flucti-Mew, etc.
Usually there are dedicated threads in the New Product Alert subforum for Acquas and Nebula libraries. I always read through those before buying, as some of them have a lot more of people's experiences than the general threads do.
Old 1 week ago
  #4956
Gear Nut
 

today's haul

Dual Tech, Flutci-Mew, and C660.

Purchased and installed today; ready to really muck with them tomorrow.

They don't sound like a computer, that's for sure.


-bryan
Old 1 week ago
  #4957
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma View Post
One kinda big issue with AlexB stuff right now is a lack of N4 skins.
That's not true anymore. Lately JPN has been making wonderful N4 skins for AlexB stuff.

Some of them are included in the library (Sontec EQ, Analog Tape Emulator...) ; other ones can be bought from the JPN website (Consoles, EQs...)
Old 1 week ago
  #4958
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma View Post
One kinda big issue with AlexB stuff right now is a lack of N4 skins. How are you folks working around that? (I sorta get nightmares because, without skins, everything looks like my old KSP8.)


-bryan
The 'Skin' for the 432-eQ is very nice.

I also like the fact that we can easily switch/revert to the standard N-4 Skin, because I sometimes need a more accurate, numeric, display ... then switch back to the custom skin.
Old 1 week ago
  #4959
Gear Head
 
strathcona12's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
Thanks for the tips. Yeah now I just need to start making a list of the Nebula stuff. I really don't know where to start.
One amazing forum member made this list (Maiv) which shows all real hardware modelled by the Nebula developers. He/she is a most certainly a gentleman/woman and a scholar and I keep this open in my mobile browsers at all times.

Nebula Bible v2.pdf - Box
Old 1 week ago
  #4960
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Fluciti Mu (Manley) and Cream (C660) are my go-to ITB tube comps. The new updated versions are killer. Also check out Lunchpail (API).
Have you compared the Flucti to C1/C2 in Magenta?
Old 1 week ago
  #4961
Here for the gear
 

good day

I have the team library, U76 and I have a doubt - curiosity. Like everything, I use my watermelons at the time of mixing, but I'm curious to know if they took more attack and release rates than the original I had 76. I ask why the attack and release values reach up to one value of 10. While the relationship with the original compressor is 1-7, if someone could give some light on this topic, I would be grateful. and I'm sorry if the topic has been discussed before. thank you so much
Old 1 week ago
  #4962
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
Thanks for the tips. Yeah now I just need to start making a list of the Nebula stuff. I really don't know where to start.
Most used for me and biggest mind blower.....Tim P Shape Modifier.
Old 1 week ago
  #4963
Gear Head
 
Antagon1st's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Have you compared the Flucti to C1/C2 in Magenta?
I have tried Magenta4 versus Flecti Mu. That was months ago. Unfortunately, I did not compare Magenta5 (the updated version). To my ears, Flecti Mu was difficult to get useful release settings, at first. I was attempting to get things slightly pumping, but in rhythm with the song. Magenta was a lot more simple, which made it easy to dial in useful settings. When it came to the SOUND of Physical Compression, Flecti was a lot more realistic and grabby. Smooth, but it grabbed more, just like a hardware compressor would. IMO, Acustica makes really great stuff, but their compressors just don't compete as well as 3rd Party Nebula developers. Flecti, for the win! LOL Hope that helps, peace.
Old 1 week ago
  #4964
Gear Head
 
Antagon1st's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amparitoo View Post
good day

I have the team library, U76 and I have a doubt - curiosity. Like everything, I use my watermelons at the time of mixing, but I'm curious to know if they took more attack and release rates than the original I had 76. I ask why the attack and release values reach up to one value of 10. While the relationship with the original compressor is 1-7, if someone could give some light on this topic, I would be grateful. and I'm sorry if the topic has been discussed before. thank you so much
I noticed this, when I first purchased this library. I would not look at the numbers, but the actual knob positions. It should help get you the results you'd want from the real unit. I tend to always use the FASTEST release and medium/slow attack settings. I have not read the manual, but details as to why he used 1-7, instead of 1-10 may be in there. I just use it like there are no numbers on the faceplate. LOL

Peace.
Old 1 week ago
  #4965
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon1st View Post
I have tried Magenta4 versus Flecti Mu. That was months ago. Unfortunately, I did not compare Magenta5 (the updated version). To my ears, Flecti Mu was difficult to get useful release settings, at first. I was attempting to get things slightly pumping, but in rhythm with the song. Magenta was a lot more simple, which made it easy to dial in useful settings. When it came to the SOUND of Physical Compression, Flecti was a lot more realistic and grabby. Smooth, but it grabbed more, just like a hardware compressor would. IMO, Acustica makes really great stuff, but their compressors just don't compete as well as 3rd Party Nebula developers. Flecti, for the win! LOL Hope that helps, peace.
Good stuff, Antagonist, thank you sir. Looking through the description page it sounds like he did some creative sampling as well (blending of soft/hard knees, 1176s used for drive, etc).

Now that I have Sand2 I can compare L-Bus as well.
Old 1 week ago
  #4966
Gear Head
 
Antagon1st's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Good stuff, Antagonist, thank you sir. Looking through the description page it sounds like he did some creative sampling as well (blending of soft/hard knees, 1176s used for drive, etc).

Now that I have Sand2 I can compare L-Bus as well.
Yes, but I think that was specifically for the BONUS program. I could be wrong. Regardless, enjoy! Sand2 and L-Bus are great tools to have, by the way.
Old 1 week ago
  #4967
Gear Head
 

is there anything even remotely as good as Taupe for the tape sound for Nebula? for people who have used both
Old 1 week ago
  #4968
Lives for gear
 
Patrick_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
is there anything even remotely as good as Taupe for the tape sound for Nebula? for people who have used both
CDS has a tape library that I use all the times.
Old 1 week ago
  #4969
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
is there anything even remotely as good as Taupe for the tape sound for Nebula? for people who have used both
Of course, I use TimP’s tapes all the time even though I have Taupe too. Incredible sound
Old 1 week ago
  #4970
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
is there anything even remotely as good as Taupe for the tape sound for Nebula? for people who have used both
Look at CDSM's R2R two tape libraries (they were the trendsetters) and Tim P's two tape libraries.
Old 1 week ago
  #4971
Gear Maniac
 
ceejay's Avatar
You asked for tapes ?
You'll get them soon!

Old 1 week ago
  #4972
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
is there anything even remotely as good as Taupe for the tape sound for Nebula? for people who have used both
Alex B's anamod emulation wipes the floor with Taupe. I haven't used Taupe since.
Old 1 week ago
  #4973
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Alex B's anamod emulation wipes the floor with Taupe. I haven't used Taupe since.
I agree it's really great but Taupe has plenty of fantastic options also!
Old 1 week ago
  #4974
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon1st View Post
I have tried Magenta4 versus Flecti Mu. That was months ago. Unfortunately, I did not compare Magenta5 (the updated version). To my ears, Flecti Mu was difficult to get useful release settings, at first. I was attempting to get things slightly pumping, but in rhythm with the song. Magenta was a lot more simple, which made it easy to dial in useful settings. When it came to the SOUND of Physical Compression, Flecti was a lot more realistic and grabby. Smooth, but it grabbed more, just like a hardware compressor would. IMO, Acustica makes really great stuff, but their compressors just don't compete as well as 3rd Party Nebula developers. Flecti, for the win! LOL Hope that helps, peace.

Thanks for this.

I had sort of forgotten about about Flucti-mew and have acquired a fair number of Nebula / Acqua over the last year.

The Magenta update from 4 to 5 does sound clearer to me but I still find that there is a slight diffuse "fog" with the preamp engaged on the Magenta compressor. I do like the preamps on Magenta EQ however.

I haven't really tried Flucti-mew since it was updated by Cupwise, but your post reminded me to try it on the mix bus for something I was working on. It really added a nice weight with no loss of clarity, it certainly worked better than the Magenta 5 comp for me in this case.

I guess it is easy to come to an assumption that with all of the core engine developments that these newer Acqua releases will automatically be better than their equivalent libraries made by the older developers who do not have access to the latest Acustica sampling engines. In actual use however, those libraries more than hold their own and in some cases feel more refined. A few of the Acquas feel (to me) quite heavy handed when their preamps are engaged. I don't tend to get that same feeling with Nebula libraries which feel a little less intrusive. Azure is one that comes to mind, with the preamp engaged it always feels like it is doing too much.
Old 1 week ago
  #4975
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Have you compared the Flucti to C1/C2 in Magenta?
Late to the party here (been traveling). Yes, the new Flucti Mu is why I don't own Mag5. The former is more open and sounds closer to real tubes (compared to my HCL Varis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
is there anything even remotely as good as Taupe for the tape sound for Nebula? for people who have used both
As others have said, Nebula is the winner. AlexB ATS and TimP's R Tape chosen over Taupe here. In fact buying Taupe made me go back and delve back into Nebula tapes. I'll be selling Taupe at some point.

It does make me wonder, I prefer Nebula releases over the AA officials even though it's their tech. Since they use the same sampling technology, I find it odd (disconcerting even) that there are always better sounding options from third parties. Compression, EQ, consoles, tape, reverb...

Only AA's I reach for are El Rey, Ruby2 and Amber preamp 2.
Old 1 week ago
  #4976
Gear Maniac
 

I think it definitely has to do with the compromise between sound quality and CPU usage. If I want a full Nebula strip with tape, EQ and compressor it uses much more CPU than one instance of Taupe. Of course other factors such as AD/DA conversation, the state of the gear and custom sampling templates all add up as well.
Old 1 week ago
  #4977
Lives for gear
Disclaimer - limited Aqua experience here as I never liked the Aqua hifi polish from the start and have mostly not bothered.

I think 3rd party devs old and new mostly just try to capture the hardware. AA just can't seem to help themselves; to me their plugs are more of an 'inspired by' series. I just want the real deal so I avoid.

Endorsed products like El Rey or Ruby might be an exception as AA is not in charge. Not sure haven't tried.

Whatever the truth, it's weird.
Old 1 week ago
  #4978
Lives for gear
 

I remember G. stating from the start that Acqua would be of a lesser quality than N3/ 4 for the functionality trade off.
Old 1 week ago
  #4979
Gear Head
 

I bought N4 but I seem to be having some problems getting it to work.

I had N4 Player (vst) on the computer - wasn't sure what to do. I went ahead and installed N4 AU.

But when I try to open the AU after installation it says "loading." I figured this might be the thing the manual says "takes a while" where N4 updates or something but IDK.

I am wondering if I did something wrong in the installation. Also the N4 Player does the same thing just says "loading" and I can't click anything. Also the presets like PureTeq do the same thing when opened.

EDIT: should have more carefully read manual. I guess I need to delete everything.
Old 1 week ago
  #4980
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
I bought N4 but I seem to be having some problems getting it to work.

I had N4 Player (vst) on the computer - wasn't sure what to do. I went ahead and installed N4 AU.

But when I try to open the AU after installation it says "loading." I figured this might be the thing the manual says "takes a while" where N4 updates or something but IDK.

I am wondering if I did something wrong in the installation. Also the N4 Player does the same thing just says "loading" and I can't click anything. Also the presets like PureTeq do the same thing when opened.

EDIT: should have more carefully read manual. I guess I need to delete everything.
Only one or the other.

N4 or Player. not both.

if you have N4 ... UN-Install Player.

This should be in the Manual.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
quincyg / Music Computers
754
Dom & Roland / The Moan Zone
10
marshallplexi / Music Computers
6
fingerbeats / Music Computers
10
Patric Noonan / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump