The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 26th July 2013
  #451
Gear Maniac
 
zwatrif's Avatar
 

Ditto to this.

[QUOTE=ultra171;9268825]That's a typo.. god, why does everybody have to be such dicks nowadays..
Old 30th July 2013
  #452
Itching with excitement for these M7 libraries!
Old 1st August 2013
  #453
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

I bought the E.A.R. Additional Spaces this morning.. wow, goodbye lifeless, hollow and cold sounding algo plugins. This is hands down the best sounding reverb I've ever tried.

With AITB, yeah, the authotrization system is a PITA, but well worth it.
Old 1st August 2013
  #454
Lives for gear
 

Anyone care to share opinions on Alex B vs CD Soundmaster consoles?
I'm looking more at CD Soundmaster as they're almost half the price in gbp.

Cheers
Old 1st August 2013
  #455
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

Ah, more Neb stuff, my fav subject here

Different gear, different tastes.. they're all different consoles and they're both top notch devs, depends what you want to do. CDSoundmaster doesn't (unfortunately) offer demos on the consoles, so I can't say much about that. Based on the audio demos, I'd probably pick up the much loved Trident for rock and maybe for many other things, the Sphere (Globe) sounded also super good, but seems to add a lot of stuff on the high end.

As somebody here (Junior?) mentioned, Trident is probably the way to go, as it's a good-sounding all-arounder. Take a shootout @ the CDSoundmaster listening room and listen to what may suit your style of music best.

OTT, I'm punishing my PC right now, rendering a track @ 96/24 with TIMED full on, takes about an hour for a 5-6 min song :P . Gotta love this stuff.
Old 2nd August 2013
  #456
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
CDSoundmaster doesn't (unfortunately) offer demos on the consoles, so I can't say much about that. Based on the audio demos, I'd probably pick up the much loved Trident for rock and maybe for many other things, the Sphere (Globe) sounded also super good, but seems to add a lot of stuff on the high end.
Not sure if this helps, but you can download a demo of CDSM's MCI console plugin here: CDSoundMaster Audio Software

It's the VST plugin version of the library, but it's the only one I know of that you can actually demo...

Also, there's a shootout of a bunch of these libraries here: consoles...Consoles...CONSOLES

Personally, I like the Globe and Trident. Alex B's API would be my next pick. Good luck!
Old 2nd August 2013
  #457
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

Oh man, I've completely missed that.. although I'm so in love with my Neve emus and used to the sound that I doubt I'll be changing that anytime soon

btw, the Rayphlex works wonders on the snare, I tried several 1176 and LA VSTs paired with Nebula colorization, and I still prefer the Rayphlex. Something just disappears when the harmonics is paired with a "normal" VST, especially in the stereo field.

EDIT: Haven't looked into the whole Aqua stuff much.. holy hell, it's Nebula with a proper GUI! Why on earth they don't use the Aqua tech more instead of just libraries? Also, that MCI demo is fully functional channel color VST, sounds fat. So thanks for that.
Old 2nd August 2013
  #458
Gear Maniac
 
kai handberg's Avatar
I have the CDSM N-TEN-AT4. Pretty nice.
Old 2nd August 2013
  #459
Lives for gear
 

Thanks guys, the Globe and Trident consoles are getting purchased for sure now, anyone else care to chime in?

The API from Alex B sounds interesting, I have his TFTconsole (think it's a Toft console) Demo which I rate slightly above Slate VCC and the others, is the API any better than TFT?

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2013
  #460
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

EDIT: nevermind, I don't understand the TFT Pack.. even the Sidecar81 page is linked to the TFT demo, even 'tho it's not included.. it's a mess.

Kinda bugs me though that isn't a demo for the CDS stuff, I just don't want to buy stuff that I won't use, even if they're cheap.

EDIT: Seems like the new Smashing Pumpkins stuff was recorded with exactly the same type of setup I'm using (except that it's analog of course)
http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.h...uipment_id=327
Old 2nd August 2013
  #461
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
EDIT:.

Kinda bugs me though that isn't a demo for the CDS stuff, I just don't want to buy stuff that I won't use, even if they're cheap.
Exactly, know how you feel brother, been there with sk note and sonimus, great sound but nothing but probs, money wasted
Old 2nd August 2013
  #462
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Not sure if this helps, but you can download a demo of CDSM's MCI console plugin here: CDSoundMaster Audio Software

It's the VST plugin version of the library, but it's the only one I know of that you can actually demo...

Also, there's a shootout of a bunch of these libraries here: consoles...Consoles...CONSOLES

Personally, I like the Globe and Trident. Alex B's API would be my next pick. Good luck!
Thanks for the link to the shootout junior, really helped me out.

I did a shootout with the files and picked out the Globe and the Trident first time around.
Tried it again without the names of the files on view 10 mins after, came back and ended up choosing the globe as the best of all yet again. Then it was a toss up between the Trident the Alex B Logic Mod and VBC Vintage.

Decision made, giving CD Soundmaster my money right now
Old 2nd August 2013
  #463
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

The Globe has a very open and pretty enhanced high end, so that will definitely affect the listening, so it's hard to say if you could just get the same effect by simply using an EQ. That's what I'd like to test. It also sounded pretty "detailed", but that could be just the high end talking. Dunno.

I picked the Neve desk since even when it's super clean, there's a subtle sonic characteristic which I would just describe as "elegant" and (as AlexB himself put it), "euphoric". It becomes very addictive, and this goes for all the RND gear. THAT i haven't been able to reproduce with just compressing/EQuing. I also found out that using too many "analog" modules makes the tracks sound too much like, well, regular mixing desk (surprise!) which somehow sounded pretty 80's, reminded me of some long haired glam rock dudes in a smoke filled studio filled with used paper coffee cups. Not good.

Report back when you get into The Globe
Old 2nd August 2013
  #464
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLAvenir View Post
Thanks for the link to the shootout junior, really helped me out.

I did a shootout with the files and picked out the Globe and the Trident first time around.
Tried it again without the names of the files on view 10 mins after, came back and ended up choosing the globe as the best of all yet again. Then it was a toss up between the Trident the Alex B Logic Mod and VBC Vintage.

Decision made, giving CD Soundmaster my money right now
Glad it was useful. Let us know what you think after you've had some time with the libraries...

BTW, Michael @ CDSM is a good guy and offers some nice discounts once you're a customer. If you're looking for an EQ, his Q8 pairs with the Globe really well. Plus, there's a demo...
Old 2nd August 2013
  #465
Ive listened again to those console demos and it confirmed my previous thoughts - that they are too subtle for me personally to bother with...once I match the levels often I prefer the unprocessed version and sometimes they just sound a tad muddier...ok the globe has a open high (and a bit of bass) end but its quite bright...
But when you hear examples of tracks processed by the vintage tube collection and tube booster, or R2R and Tape booster - then I hear the real analogue juice...

http://monumentalaudio.com/ACQUA/VTC...ORE-VTC-TB.mp3

http://monumentalaudio.com/ACQUA/VTCTB/AFTER-VTC-TB.mp3
Old 2nd August 2013
  #466
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Ive listened again to those console demos and it confirmed my previous thoughts - that they are too subtle for me personally to bother with...once I match the levels often I prefer the unprocessed version and sometimes they just sound a tad muddier...ok the globe has a open high (and a bit of bass) end but its quite bright...
But when you hear examples of tracks processed by the vintage tube collection and tube booster, or R2R and Tape booster - then I hear the real analogue juice...

http://monumentalaudio.com/ACQUA/VTC...ORE-VTC-TB.mp3

http://monumentalaudio.com/ACQUA/VTCTB/AFTER-VTC-TB.mp3
I agree about the differences being subtle with the consoles. I think it depends on how/what/where they're used and how you hear things...

Nice track! That's a big difference, IMO. Didn't have time to load them in a DAW, but the second one seems a little louder than the first. Are the only differences the tube plugs added to the master?
Old 2nd August 2013
  #467
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I agree about the differences being subtle with the consoles. I think it depends on how/what/where they're used and how you hear things...

Nice track! That's a big difference, IMO. Didn't have time to load them in a DAW, but the second one seems a little louder than the first. Are the only differences the tube plugs added to the master?
sorry I should have been clearer - thats the CDSoundmaster demo...actually once I set the levels what you hear which is the tube thing as I understand it - is a clear high end and some compression in the audio. But thats what I like about the Nebula processing compared to plugin algos - the processing tends to sound open and more natural.
Old 2nd August 2013
  #468
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
sorry I should have been clearer - thats the CDSoundmaster demo...actually once I set the levels what you hear which is the tube thing as I understand it - is a clear high end and some compression in the audio. But thats what I like about the Nebula processing compared to plugin algos - the processing tends to sound open and more natural.
Ah, cool - I'd never heard it before. I don't have any of the tube libs - maybe it's time to pick them up?
Old 3rd August 2013
  #469
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

Swan808, it becomes more apparent when you have the full setup, channels and all.. the saturation stacks up and the you start to hear the difference.

Simple, really. But I do have to say that in some cases, individual plugins can make a on the master can make more difference (like an EQ or comp). Depends if you like it or not. Sometimes it's not even desirable, but in most cases it is.
Old 10th August 2013
  #470
Sort of off topic while still somewhat on topic question:

I picked up the EAR verbs you guys were talking about. Some of them run pretty well but others bring my computer to its knees. It seems to be the reverbs with the longer decays. I'm using the Nebula Reverb plug. No other plugs/programs open. Just a guitar straight through it. Is this typical behavior for a computer like mine?

Ableton Live 8
OSX 10.6.8
2 x 3 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
20 GB of RAM (Overkill, I know)
Old 10th August 2013
  #471
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

You must increase the DSPBUFFER size on the Nebula MAST page (try 4096 or 8192). It unfortunately also increases latency.
Old 10th August 2013
  #472
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
You must increase the DSPBUFFER size on the Nebula MAST page (try 4096 or 8192). It unfortunately also increases latency.
Latency schmatency....
I love Nebula, but would never dream of tracking with it.
Old 11th August 2013
  #473
Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't seem to change anything at all with the effects of the crackling. Whether I'm at maximum DSPBUFFER which is like 8000 something or 128 I get the same amount of horrendous crackle.

I noticed that the session is fine even with the preset loaded up in Nebula and open on an aux UNTIL I send a signal to it then it all crackles like hell.

Any other suggestions? I've emailed Acustica and ITB.

UPDATE: Problem solved. The DSPbuffer rate wasn't actually changing even after pressing SAVE. To get to actually change I have to also reset the buffer rate in Ableton. Then Nebula seems to reset itself and the new buffer rate is set. Works great... save for that stupid pre-delay now.
Old 14th August 2013
  #474
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaySchmitt View Post
Problem solved. The DSPbuffer rate wasn't actually changing even after pressing SAVE. To get to actually change I have to also reset the buffer rate in Ableton. Then Nebula seems to reset itself and the new buffer rate is set.
Cool, didn't know that. I've always reloaded the whole project, that saves some serious time when changing stuff on the MSTR (although I don't use Ableton anymore).

On the side, totally seems like that AlexB has lift the the prices, TSX bundle now 65€ and no individual libraries or discount for returning customers..

I'd say that the Fatso itself is worth the 65 european, I nowadays just throw the it (from the preamp bundle) on the master along with console & comp, pretty much all the "warmth" and fat I need (the MWT seems to do something to the low end that I don't like on closer listen). It's a perfect cure for the digital coldness.

I also had a revelation when switching the preamps to high TIMED rates, especially on the drums. Kick-ass punch and clarity.
Old 14th August 2013
  #475
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Cool, didn't know that. I've always reloaded the whole project, that saves some serious time when changing stuff on the MSTR (although I don't use Ableton anymore).

On the side, totally seems like that AlexB has lift the the prices, TSX bundle now 65€ and no individual libraries or discount for returning customers..

I'd say that the Fatso itself is worth the 65 european, I nowadays just throw the it (from the preamp bundle) on the master along with console & comp, pretty much all the "warmth" and fat I need (the MWT seems to do something to the low end that I don't like on closer listen). It's a perfect cure for the digital coldness.

I also had a revelation when switching the preamps to high TIMED rates, especially on the drums. Kick-ass punch and clarity.
Careful with that timed mode stuff. People get so hung up on tweaking their Nebula presets and forget that most of the libraries were released to work mostly as-is, and to work in conjunction with the other libraries without additional tweaks. If you are loading your presets using the standard Nebula Reverb.dll, and have tweaked it to work "best" with some specific library or preset, then that same tweak can sometimes introduce less desirable results with other libraries. I am a huge Nebula user, and after almost 3 years of intense "customizing", I just recently reinstalled and put my xml's to almost default. If you really want to tweak and just affect certain presets, I strongly encourage you to start using Zabukowski's free app Nebula Setups. That has been a huge work-flow saver for me, and far better for my Nebula use than anything else. It allows you to create customized dll's and xml's that are specific to only certain functions/presets/libraries/whatever. I have over 50 specified instances now, and load time for any one of them is a few seconds now because it is scanning only for the few presets that I have told it to. Check that out.
And in regards to Alex and his price hikes; he was very close to considering stopping his work with Nebula libraries due to piracy, he was actually hit very hard. As much as I love the presets to be inexpensive (since I use them very extensively), I am glad that he decided to do that as opposed to quitting. That would be a win for software pirates, as far as I'm concerned. Also, there is a big Nebula update coming soon, and part of that update is...... guess what...... that's right, copy protection for the devs. Before anyone starts fussing, I am confident that it will be as gentle as possible, and as far as I know, it will still be voluntary for the devs to use it or not. But it will be available and I bet that more than Alex will be jumping on it. In the long run, it is good for all of us, I would hate to see Michael Angel (CDSM), Alex, Henry, and may others stop developing libraries for this exciting technology.
Old 14th August 2013
  #476
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Cool, didn't know that. I've always reloaded the whole project, that saves some serious time when changing stuff on the MSTR (although I don't use Ableton anymore).

On the side, totally seems like that AlexB has lift the the prices, TSX bundle now 65€ and no individual libraries or discount for returning customers..

I'd say that the Fatso itself is worth the 65 european, I nowadays just throw the it (from the preamp bundle) on the master along with console & comp, pretty much all the "warmth" and fat I need (the MWT seems to do something to the low end that I don't like on closer listen). It's a perfect cure for the digital coldness.

I also had a revelation when switching the preamps to high TIMED rates, especially on the drums. Kick-ass punch and clarity.
Did you say fatso library? Have you got a link please?
Old 14th August 2013
  #477
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Did you say fatso library? Have you got a link please?
HERE is a link to Alex's site. The TSX set, which is in the "effects" category, has a Fatso suite, and the Preamp Color Suite also has a Fatso preset.
Old 14th August 2013
  #478
Lives for gear
 
imloggedin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
Also, there is a big Nebula update coming soon, and part of that update is...... guess what...... that's right, copy protection for the devs. Before anyone starts fussing, I am confident that it will be as gentle as possible, and as far as I know, it will still be voluntary for the devs to use it or not. But it will be available and I bet that more than Alex will be jumping on it. In the long run, it is good for all of us, I would hate to see Michael Angel (CDSM), Alex, Henry, and may others stop developing libraries for this exciting technology.
They can obviously already do copy protection. Analoginthebox does it and it only takes a few minutes. If Alexb wasn't doing it that's his fault. His service has not been stellar for me anyway.
Old 14th August 2013
  #479
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
They can obviously already do copy protection. Analoginthebox does it and it only takes a few minutes. If Alexb wasn't doing it that's his fault. His service has not been stellar for me anyway.
True, AITB has great CP. It seems to work now, but it was pretty clunky for a while. But what's Alex's fault? That he lost money to pirates? That's an absurd assertion in my opinion. I guess it's my own fault if my computer gets stolen if I leave my house unlocked? That's goofy. Sorry to hear that you have had bad service from Alex..... I have never had anything besides awesome service from him, including many emails describing his libraries. Alex has been a very kind and helpful person for me, especially early in my Nebula experience.
Old 14th August 2013
  #480
Lives for gear
 
imloggedin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
True, AITB has great CP. It seems to work now, but it was pretty clunky for a while. But what's Alex's fault? That he lost money to pirates? That's an absurd assertion in my opinion. I guess it's my own fault if my computer gets stolen if I leave my house unlocked? That's goofy. Sorry to hear that you have had bad service from Alex..... I have never had anything besides awesome service from him, including many emails describing his libraries. Alex has been a very kind and helpful person for me, especially early in my Nebula experience.
Not a good analogy. It's more like driving your BMW into a ****ty part of town and leaving the keys in it and the doors open. That is partly your stupidity. Also, I didn't say he gave me bad services, I said it wasn't stellar.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
quincyg / Music Computers
754
Dom & Roland / The Moan Zone
10
marshallplexi / Music Computers
6
fingerbeats / Music Computers
10
Patric Noonan / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump