The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut
Got to use the OPTO 32 on rap vocals

Here are two versions of a quick mix.. one with the OPTO 32-2A mode on just the rap vocals and auto-tuned singing.. and one without it so you can hear the difference of what it is doing..

The OPTO32-2A to me makes a very obvious difference and really added body to the rap vocals.. which works well for this type of song that needs power.
Attached Files

Middle Child Remix (NO OPTO32).mp3 (3.88 MB, 2672 views)

Middle Child Remix (OPTO32-2a).mp3 (3.88 MB, 2699 views)

Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Once again ... get your FACTS straight.

Read the GearSlutz POLICY regarding Tech Support. You 'knowledge' is shallow to the history that took place.

Another FACT ... I am NOT here to 'consistently beats down any and all criticism from customers.'

I was asked to join the Beta-Test Team for Acustica-Audio. My near 40 years Professional work [with much of the hardware that has be Acqua'd/Nebulitized].

As with other beta-testers, you've no idea the level of critique that is [constructively shared] within the beta forum.

As for Support ... none of the 'testers' have been asked to, nor are they paid to offer help. AA Tech Support does not respond here [although <G> does from time to time].

Continually we remind of the Official AA web site, and to utilize the AA Ticket Support Line for tech issues. There are solid reasons for this.

Oh ... and when you get out into the real world experience, you'll learn that the Customer is not always right. Something you may learn over the next 20 years.
RJ it appears you have taken my post very personal and now coming across aggressive and dare I say arrogant.
My post was generalised at the AA group not the beta testers but the guys selling and distributing the plugs for profit based merely on what is written in black and white over many posts across many threads.

As much as I agree with you in that the customer is not always right sadly the reality is that they are, as without a customer there is no buisness.
Many trades across the spectrum very much disagree about what their customer has to say about their services yet still delivers their needs and requests as not doing so is not a good business model in today’s world.

So happy you have 40 years in the trade. Well done you.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Very excited. Can someone quickly confirm for me that installing this will not replace OPTO 3A V2, but rather exist alongside it? (I'm paranoid about losing my OPTO 3A V2 as it is.)
@TimP Nebula (or anyone else!)
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Very excited. Can someone quickly confirm for me that installing this will not replace OPTO 3A V2, but rather exist alongside it? (I'm paranoid about losing my OPTO 3A V2 as it is.)
@TimP Nebula (or anyone else!)
Confirmed! It exists alongside!
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelcruz View Post
Confirmed! It exists alongside!
Woot! Many thanks.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Addict

Tim's new Opto library is fantastic. The 2a and 3a pre and clipping programs are awesome on vocals, bass, guitars.. That's all I've tried these on so far. Two different but equally useful and convincing textures. Great compression response too, of couse.

This is probably my favorite N4 dynamics library now. Highly recommended.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post

That pretty much means that he doesn't have a release date, yet. It's public knowledge that he tweaks and tweaks, even developing new techniques, until his stuff is up to his standards. He's done it like that for years, generously giving us free updates! He doesn't have to do that. Lots of developers (like Toontrack) won't even publically mention what their future releases will be; Tim will. I'm just trying to stress how much we appreciate TimP around here. Anyway, although I'm not TimP, I hope that answers your question about the release date.
Ok. This is slightly off-topic. But, Toontrack seems to have gone contrary to their policy! So, I stand corrected. I requested eZ bass and an orchestral SDX years ago. Well, they finally announced their releases. Plus, there is an upcoming Al Schmitt SDX!!! What??! Great news.

Been listening to DSOTM the past couple of days. Is there an EMI in Nebulaland? I've got AlexB's EMI Road, but would like more of that flavor. Wonder what I need to inch closer to the sound of that album... (I doubt that Gilmour and Co. are for hire. So, I'm gonna have to compensate with gear. lol)
Old 26th January 2019
Quote:
Ok. This is slightly off-topic. But, Toontrack seems to have gone contrary to their policy! So, I stand corrected. I requested eZ bass and an orchestral SDX years ago. Well, they finally announced their releases. Plus, there is an upcoming Al Schmitt SDX!!! What??! Great news.

Been listening to DSOTM the past couple of days. Is there an EMI in Nebulaland? I've got AlexB's EMI Road, but would like more of that flavor. Wonder what I need to inch closer to the sound of that album... (I doubt that Gilmour and Co. are for hire. So, I'm gonna have to compensate with gear. lol)
Henry Olonga's All You Can Eat Nebula Presets. It has EMI direct line, mic pre inputs,MoJo's and bus outputs. I use them in my whole system chain via Menubus to listen to music, watching movies, mixing podcast and all computer audio period. Get it, you are in for a real treat. DSOTM sounds going through this signal chain.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

There's AlexB's ' E-mi Broadcast eQ'.

Also [Acqua format], I believe EBONY is an EMT 140 Plate and EMI gear in a channel strip.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Maniac

@wagz also consider AlexB SP79 German Mastering eQ + Console, which as he says was used for DSOTM mastering.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Tim's new Opto library is fantastic.
This is probably my favorite N4 dynamics library now. Highly recommended.
Tried the new 2a on some r&b vox last night. Shockingly realistic.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Nut

I'm using it right now and it compresses busses or instruments effortlesslesly, 75% of the time it makes things better
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompower9 View Post
Henry Olonga's All You Can Eat Nebula Presets. It has EMI direct line, mic pre inputs,MoJo's and bus outputs. I use them in my whole system chain via Menubus to listen to music, watching movies, mixing podcast and all computer audio period. Get it, you are in for a real treat. DSOTM sounds going through this signal chain.
Wow. You're pretty hardcore. I have Henry's massive 'All You Can Eat' library in 96khz. A while back, I looked through it and didn't see 'clean' EMI busses, lines or mic pres. I guess I need to look again and rename things... Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
There's AlexB's ' E-mi Broadcast eQ'.

Also [Acqua format], I believe EBONY is an EMT 140 Plate and EMI gear in a channel strip.
Thanks. I'll look into those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
@wagz also consider AlexB SP79 German Mastering eQ + Console, which as he says was used for DSOTM mastering.
I have those. I use SP79 a lot. I'm gonna revisit the EQ. It's got a skin now! Thanks.
Old 26th January 2019
Here for the gear

Opto 32

Hi guys.

Can someone please help me with setting up Opto 32 in setups for N3 ?

Not sure what skin is supposed to be allocated to what instances ?

Thanks
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Addict

Is there a way to use the 2a skins in N4 setups. I can’t figure out how to make that work.
Old 26th January 2019
Quote:
Is there an EMI in Nebulaland?
These obviously aren't Nebula, but can't hurt to give Cream a demo, and also Prime Studios Sparkle bundle.
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Head

It seems the "Frequency" control is a EQ tilt type function, but Tim has gotten rid of the HPF sidechain input - is there any reason for this? I basically always use this function, so I'm not sure why it would be deemed useless?
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
Is there a way to use the 2a skins in N4 setups. I can’t figure out how to make that work.
Neb-3 and N-4 use different construction. They are not compatible.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
These obviously aren't Nebula, but can't hurt to give Cream a demo, and also Prime Studios Sparkle bundle.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm tempted to demo Cream because it looks awesome! Been watching videos. I think I'll stick to the Nebula libraries that I own for now. I expect that Henry and AlexB's libraries will get me close enough to the sound of the album.
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
You just have to hit the “edit” button on N4... and then to go back to 3a setting you hit “simple”
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
You can also take a look at Alan Parsons' "Art & Science of Sound Recording" book.
Because sounding like Pink Floyd being recorded at Abbey Road by Alan Parsons is not just a matter of gear...
For example, Parsons used no compression on drums, and the only added reverb was a EMT140 plate with tape pre-delay.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabilon View Post
You can also take a look at Alan Parsons' "Art & Science of Sound Recording" book.
Because sounding like Pink Floyd being recorded at Abbey Road by Alan Parsons is not just a matter of gear...
For example, Parsons used no compression on drums, and the only added reverb was a EMT140 plate with tape pre-delay.
Thanks for reminding me of Alan Parsons! He's pretty cool and has spoken a lot about that record.

After researching, I found a couple of really good articles, in case anyone else is interested:

Studio Legends: Alan Parsons on "Dark Side of the Moon"

The Making of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon

I've got Cupwise and VNXT plates. I don't have a Studer A80 library. But, I've got CDSM's APEX, TimP's 37J, and some other tape stuff. Henry's 'All You Can Eat' bundle actually has much of the EMI stuff. Great. Now I don't have any excuses... just lack of skill.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Temoti View Post
It seems the "Frequency" control is a EQ tilt type function, but Tim has gotten rid of the HPF sidechain input - is there any reason for this? I basically always use this function, so I'm not sure why it would be deemed useless?
I think that Tim was more concerned with staying true to the hardware, which has a freq dependence screw on each of the real units. It would be useful to have the hpf in the sidechain, but I'm assuming he wanted to do something that has never been done in Nebula (Frequency dependent compression). In my opinion, the most common uses for the 3a and 2a is on Vocals, Guitar, Electric Bass, Piano, and even Strings. HPFs are typically for compressors that deal with low end and Group Bus functions, as well as the Mix Bus. If v2 is working better for what you need, I'll say use that and when you don't mind compressing the lows, use V3. V3 is a lot more accurate, but they're all tools, at the end of the day! Peace!
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Video showing new OPTO 32 on different material. Separately and in the mix.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Maniac

One more. Showing smoooth leveling control of pretty dynamic vocal.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

So good!
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Cupwise updated rest of his Plates of Legend series: Volumes 4 and 0.
Now we have all the PoL collection updated and vol's 3, 4, 0 on sale!
Plate Reverbs | Cupwise FX

Old 30th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Something's cooking up
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Something's cooking up
In who's kitchen?
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Maniac

@V4nger: one of the Tim's

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search