The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

I matched them by ear. The compression very tight, so it's hard to match exactly 1:1. New clipper also was used here.
Anyway i think this examples shows the level of current TimP emulations nicely. On vocals i just can't tell the difference, the waveform also almost the same!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
I matched them by ear. The compression very tight, so it's hard to match exactly 1:1. New clipper also was used here.
Anyway i think this examples shows the level of current TimP emulations nicely. On vocals i just can't tell the difference, the waveform also almost the same!
Yes, in the voices or the bass there is almost no difference, yes in the guitars.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

It's up! cheers! free upgrade to all who already bought!
Old 24th January 2019
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict
In this test I preferred X1 as the transients sounded more pleasant. I think for such comparisons would be great to include unprocessed track as well so you know what's being done and also what settings been used so you can play yourself too.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
Yes, in the voices or the bass there is almost no difference, yes in the guitars.

note optical compressors will sound quite different between units, also many introduce ripple with age, plus hiss....
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Indeed. Also there is a lot of different revisions was manufactured during the long history of 2A.
Anyway i think this is real breakthrough for Nebula compressor emulations. Congratulations Tim and Tag, you did it!
1st fully featured 2A reproduction in history of Nebula.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

So, in my tests...I was able to achieve the same amount of air in Tim P's Nebula version as the hardware. When the hardware sounded more open, I backed off the compression a bit and the audio opened right up, with very similar compression grab! The most uses will be on vocals, bass, and guitars, so when the differences are this indistinguishable, something has been done right!

Great job, Tim!

Cheers and happy mixing, guys!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
note optical compressors will sound quite different between units, also many introduce ripple with age, plus hiss....
Thanks for the update Tim!!!! Just about to give it a spin.

Is the ripple you talk about in relation to the compression envelope or frequency response?
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post

Is the ripple you talk about in relation to the compression envelope or frequency response?
It's to do with envelope section... There is a post somewhere on the net explaining it, i'll see if I can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baila Tosco View Post
Should I have received an email with a download link about OPTO32? Or how is the update process? Sorry I can't remember how it was with previous updates.
from what I've heard i'm not really supposed to do any support on gearslutz, however the download should be in your account. Contact me if you have any problems
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut
This thing sounds amazing! Woaah...

How to get grey skin?
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Indeed. Also there is a lot of different revisions was manufactured during the long history of 2A.
Anyway i think this is real breakthrough for Nebula compressor emulations. Congratulations Tim and Tag, you did it!
1st fully featured 2A reproduction in history of Nebula.
Tim did it! LOL It was all him. I wish that I had the tools and the brain to comprehend half of the technical **** that he was explaining to me! Haahaha! Hoping that he picks me up for the next releases! Regardless, it was a pleasure and these things surely do sound like physical compressors more than any ITB compressors I've ever used or heard. Period!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

Just done a quick vocal test with the 2A (pre/comp/clipper) and its really classy and effortless so far.

Starting a new mix now...going to give them both a proper test!!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

I have just bought! thank you tim!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
It's to do with envelope section... There is a post somewhere on the net explaining it, i'll see if I can find it.

from what I've heard i'm not really supposed to do any support on gearslutz, however the download should be in your account. Contact me if you have any problems
UA WebZine "Compression Obsession" July 03 | Long Live the T4 Cell!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post

The ripple description is in this article. Peace.

UA WebZine "Compression Obsession" July 03 | Long Live the T4 Cell!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Little teaser-guess-test
TimP's (new) OPTO vs LA2A: WeTransfer
Not sure which is which. However, X2 sounds noticeably better to me. It sounds bigger (fuller, with more low-end), smoother, cleaner, more dynamic, and more open with a 3-D sort of quality.

Even at the beginning of the X1 file, the bass fades in with a sort of distortion underneath the tone. Also, there are clicks/pops.

On acoustic guitar, X1 has a warbling sort of slightly distorted sound. I guess X2 had a bit of that, too. Still, on X2, it is obvious when the guitar player plays the G and B strings. I could hear it and feel it. That quality got lost on X1.

On electric, X1 lost that lovely bass sound that X2 had. It sounds smaller, more veiled, and distorted.

X2 was smoother and more open on piano.

X1, which was consistently darker on all sources presented, seemed to also bring out an unpleasant sibilance in the female singing track. Also, X1 was less smooth (dirtier) than X2 and seemed to add a bit of what, to me, sounds like low mid mud on all narration. On the male singer's high and low parts, X1 was less "hi-fi"-sounding. Strangely, I preferred X1 for the male singing...

Last edited by wagz; 24th January 2019 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

@wagz You probably right, and this is definitely my fault, not the new OPTO.
I was in hurry and used too much clipper (and GR) which gives distorted quality not present in HW.
So i removing my files. And recommend everyone to get the new OPTO 32 and test it by themselves.
It's pure magic. And my new goto compressor for lot of tasks. 2A and 3A - both sounds incredible.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
@wagz You probably right, and this is definitely my fault, not the new OPTO.
I was in hurry and used too much clipper (and GR) which gives distorted quality not present in HW.
So i removing my files. And recommend everyone to get the new OPTO 32 and test it by themselves.
It's pure magic. And my new goto compressor for lot of tasks. 2A and 3A - both sounds incredible.
No problem. Thanks anyway, ceejay. I'm definitely looking forward to trying Opto32 when I get off work!
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Amazing, can't wait to test this (Opto 32) tomorrow!
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

Why are you not allowed to help or support anyone on a public forum?
Assuming you even answer my question as you did not with my previous one about the release dates to your new releases.

The arrogance amongst the Acustica audio family is undeniably unacceptable in today’s standards of doing business, including the way Giancarlo/zaphod responds to ‘his’ customers questions, queries, worries responses etc...

The beat downs regular and hardcore supporters get is beyond the joke.

I admitidly do not earn a living from audio but in my profession if I was to respond to my customers in the way this company and its assiosiates do I would no longer have a business left!

Rapidly going off this company.
Really do not care how great we all think these plugs sound if we are met with sheer arrogance from its creators.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablopicasso View Post
Why are you not allowed to help or support anyone on a public forum?
Assuming you even answer my question as you did not with my previous one about the release dates to your new releases.

The arrogance amongst the Acustica audio family is undeniably unacceptable in today’s standards of doing business, including the way Giancarlo/zaphod responds to ‘his’ customers questions, queries, worries responses etc...

The beat downs regular and hardcore supporters get is beyond the joke.

I admitidly do not earn a living from audio but in my profession if I was to respond to my customers in the way this company and its assiosiates do I would no longer have a business left!

Rapidly going off this company.
Really do not care how great we all think these plugs sound if we are met with sheer arrogance from its creators.
Woah haha TimP is one of the coolest devs and super helpful, He just means gearslutz rules means devs are not supposed to use the forums as support. Go to AA forum I guess to talk to him or email?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Woah haha TimP is one of the coolest devs and super helpful, He just means gearslutz rules means devs are not supposed to use the forums as support. Go to AA forum I guess to talk to him or email?
My bad sorry Tim, no personal disrespect meant.
My previous reply is open for discussion tho....
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
My bad sorry Tim, no personal disrespect meant.
My previous reply is open for discussion tho....
You should apologize to ALL of us.

Get your Facts correct before.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Couldn't resist - had to quickly check it out before bed. Opto 32 delivers. Crazy good... and for £25? You'd be mad not to buy it.

Thanks @TimP Nebula
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
You should apologize to ALL of us.

Get your Facts correct before.
Sorry RJ didn’t realise you one of the devs or part of the Acustica family that consistently beats down any and all criticism from customers.
We are in a golden age where that mentality from 20 years ago is disappearing extremely fast across all areas in our new professional modern world.
The customer is always right and all that.......

Sorry if I offended you in expressing my ‘personal opinion’ of what I have read from hundreds of posts over the last few months from other users,
Some in which I agree and I’m totally sure others will agree with my points.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry RJ didn’t realise you one of the devs or part of the Acustica family that consistently beats down any and all criticism from customers.
We are in a golden age where that mentality from 20 years ago is disappearing extremely fast across all areas in our new professional modern world.

Sorry if I offended you in expressing my ‘personal opinion’ of what I have read from hundreds of posts over the last few months from other users,
Pablopicasso, TimP has never been rude or dismissive toward me; just helpful. In all the years I've been tinkering with Nebula, I don't recall ever seeing a rude or dismissive post from TimP on any of the forums.

Quote:
When’s the release date Tim?
Any dates for your new comp everyone is talking about too?
TimP already partially answered your question when he let us know OPTO 32 was ready.

Here is Tim's response to a question on the Acustica forum about when his RCA comp would be ready:

"Guys, It will be ready when it's ready, I still plan to release, it could be in January. Lots of complex things going on for this and future updates..."

Tim Petherick » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:15 pm

That pretty much means that he doesn't have a release date, yet. It's public knowledge that he tweaks and tweaks, even developing new techniques, until his stuff is up to his standards. He's done it like that for years, generously giving us free updates! He doesn't have to do that. Lots of developers (like Toontrack) won't even publically mention what their future releases will be; Tim will. I'm just trying to stress how much we appreciate TimP around here. Anyway, although I'm not TimP, I hope that answers your question about the release date.

Also, I am on public record for (constructively) criticizing Acustica. However, I really do appreciate Giancarlo and Co. for working hard to make these tools available to me. Thanks, Acustica!

On the flipside, Giancarlo's exact choice of words about the metering situation: Not good, in my opinion.

The meters really are wonky.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Once again ... get your FACTS straight.

Read the GearSlutz POLICY regarding Tech Support. You 'knowledge' is shallow to the history that took place.

Another FACT ... I am NOT here to 'consistently beats down any and all criticism from customers.'

I was asked to join the Beta-Test Team for Acustica-Audio. My near 40 years Professional work [with much of the hardware that has be Acqua'd/Nebulitized].

As with other beta-testers, you've no idea the level of critique that is [constructively shared] within the beta forum.

As for Support ... none of the 'testers' have been asked to, nor are they paid to offer help. AA Tech Support does not respond here [although <G> does from time to time].

Continually we remind of the Official AA web site, and to utilize the AA Ticket Support Line for tech issues. There are solid reasons for this.

Oh ... and when you get out into the real world experience, you'll learn that the Customer is not always right. Something you may learn over the next 20 years.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

@Pablopicasso, in my experiences with Tim, I've learned that he doesn't like to give dates on releases, due to things that can change last minute. He wanted to be done with OPTO3a update in Dec '18, LOL. If he said "Before the end of the year" publicly, it wouldn't have become OPTO 32. Makes sense? Hit him via email or PM, for any support questions on inquiries about unreleased/upcoming libraries and I'm sure he'll give you a straight up response. This man is an artist, so he may come across as "distant" and cocky, but he totally means no harm. @wagz is telling the truth. Peace.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post

Oh ... and when you get out into the real world experience, you'll learn that the Customer is not always right. Something you may learn over the next 20 years.
Ah... I totally forgot to say that! I meant to. I definitely agree with your statement, RJHollins. The customer is not always right. The honest truth is that the customer is often ignorant, misinformed, rude, unreasonable, and wrong.

Thanks again for the update, TimP! You do good work. I'm off to go play with OPTO 32!

RJHollins, thanks for your review on AlexB's Soundtec 432 EQ. You didn't steer me wrong! I also got his BP1, based on your recommendation. Very nice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search