The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear
I can start you off with a few answers, certainly not all.

I've never had a problem sticking a Nebua instance on a mono source. I didn't think about it, but it sounds fine. Someone else might help with the details.

Drive and input are to taste. leaving them at default represents the hardware. Preamps and tape get their effect by accumulation over all of your channels so there's no need to overdo them unless you want that effect.

Best way to reduce CPU usage in any DAW is to up the latency on your audio interface.As Nebula is primarily a mixing tool as opposed to a recording tool, that shouldn;t present too much of an issue.

Best tape? The approach is different in Nebula. Ask yourself what hardware you want. Most libraries are accurate to the hardware so your answer depends on your hardware preference. if you don't know the difference between Studer and Otari for example, go look that up on GS.

I'm no power user, as you can probably tell, but I've been using Nebula for years and I hear hardware. I have no need to tweak to the extent you're asking about.

If you don't know already, Reaper and W7 is generally considered th best platform for Nebula and Aquas, and its powerful multistage freeze lets you crank up your Nebula usage as much as you want. Just needs a bit of planning. A good starting point for this is to run all your tracks through mics, pres and consoles then freeze. The do a round of channel comps and eqs and freeze. Then tape. Depending on track count, if your CPU is up to it, you might not beed to freeze so much. Next start working on the busses. then finally the 2 buss. Mastering should of course, be separate. Some people do like to stick a console on the 2 buss from the get go as this affects mixing decisions.

Good luck in Nebula land. It's a long journey, but with outstanding results. Read through this thread and then join in. The thread is searchable on google and specific questions will take you to the right page. Just dive in and learn though immersion. Unlike Aquas, nebula libraries are quite cheap, so you can get a lot for your money. Support our devs, buy their stuff!

Last edited by Shaolin; 13th January 2019 at 05:04 AM..
Old 13th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Cupwise - Plates of Legend VOL1 update released !

Not one, but TWO legendary plates. One stereo, with the solid state amp, and the other mono with the original tube amp. BOTH sampled with ADJUSTABLE damper controls. You can dial in exactly the decay behavior you want. VOL.1 Also contains Stooder 900 custom made EQ program with a fully variable high pass filter and adjustable gain high shelf, and pseudo-stereo bonus program for STYX reverb.

UPDATE info:

Free updates incoming for all of the Plates of Legend series, adding skins and increasing harmonic levels among a few other tweaks to the programs themselves. We're starting off by sending out the updates for Plates of Legend 1 first, so if you own this library you should be getting the email.

*NEW SKINS! There are new skins for both N4 and N3.

*I made a subtle change to the dynamic behavior. Programs used to kind of 'stick' at the loudest sampled steps after a loud input, for way too long (super slow release). Now the release is a little faster so the dynamics are a bit more... dynamic, after loud sounds. Probably nobody will actually notice this change in action though, including me. It's pretty subtle.

*I cropped the reverb tails down to 5 seconds for all lite programs, while adding about a half second fade out at the end. Now they use even less CPU. I don't think it's very noticeable at normal levels, but the whole point of the lite programs is to not have full quality while using less CPU.

*Harmonics have been increased in level to match hardware closer. Olympus plate full programs had 2 harmonic kerns removed because those harmonics are mostly below noise floor in the hardware samples i took and weren't contributing anything in the programs anyway.

*Optimized the harmonics using a recent method i came up with, and which should slightly lower CPU use in some cases. Programs should also load faster and use less RAM.

*Made dynamics more feedback detector based. Not going to explain exactly why, but it's based on my personal beliefs that it produces the most authentic results with reverbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-pol1_n4rack.jpg  
Old 14th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
I can start you off with a few answers, certainly not all.

I've never had a problem sticking a Nebua instance on a mono source. I didn't think about it, but it sounds fine. Someone else might help with the details.

Drive and input are to taste. leaving them at default represents the hardware. Preamps and tape get their effect by accumulation over all of your channels so there's no need to overdo them unless you want that effect.

Best way to reduce CPU usage in any DAW is to up the latency on your audio interface.As Nebula is primarily a mixing tool as opposed to a recording tool, that shouldn;t present too much of an issue.

Best tape? The approach is different in Nebula. Ask yourself what hardware you want. Most libraries are accurate to the hardware so your answer depends on your hardware preference. if you don't know the difference between Studer and Otari for example, go look that up on GS.

I'm no power user, as you can probably tell, but I've been using Nebula for years and I hear hardware. I have no need to tweak to the extent you're asking about.

If you don't know already, Reaper and W7 is generally considered th best platform for Nebula and Aquas, and its powerful multistage freeze lets you crank up your Nebula usage as much as you want. Just needs a bit of planning. A good starting point for this is to run all your tracks through mics, pres and consoles then freeze. The do a round of channel comps and eqs and freeze. Then tape. Depending on track count, if your CPU is up to it, you might not beed to freeze so much. Next start working on the busses. then finally the 2 buss. Mastering should of course, be separate. Some people do like to stick a console on the 2 buss from the get go as this affects mixing decisions.

Good luck in Nebula land. It's a long journey, but with outstanding results. Read through this thread and then join in. The thread is searchable on google and specific questions will take you to the right page. Just dive in and learn though immersion. Unlike Aquas, nebula libraries are quite cheap, so you can get a lot for your money. Support our devs, buy their stuff!
Thanks for your answer!

I ve read in "nebula tips and tricks" in acustica's facebook official page that n4 proccess in stereo and there is a way to make a mono instance for a library.i was wondering if i d make a setup of mono N4 for all libraries.

are you sure that there are not specific O.s. (windows) -cubase settings that help nebula and aquas perform better ?

I asked for reccomendations for tapes etc cause there are many options for an otari for example,from many developers.
Old 14th January 2019
Gear Nut

Hey guys. I have a little problem. Today from aparently no reason N4 doesn't see anything in the finder. Practically the finder is empty. All i did today was to update Aquarius and install Taupe as nebula library (i have it already installed as aqua). After a few swtiching between aqua and N4 instances the N4 instance i had open crashed (it didn't crash Reaper, just that instance crashed). After i closed it and opened another N4 instance, sudenly N4 have nothing in finder. All the instances that are already opened in the project are working, but they see only the library that is already opened. If i try to usee the finder, it sees just the library that is already in use, nothing more.
Should i uninstall and install N4 trough aquarius? I mention i checked and anything is placed where it should be in the nebula temprepository
Old 14th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalin View Post
Hey guys. I have a little problem. Today from aparently no reason N4 doesn't see anything in the finder. Practically the finder is empty. All i did today was to update Aquarius and install Taupe as nebula library (i have it already installed as aqua). After a few swtiching between aqua and N4 instances the N4 instance i had open crashed (it didn't crash Reaper, just that instance crashed). After i closed it and opened another N4 instance, sudenly N4 have nothing in finder. All the instances that are already opened in the project are working, but they see only the library that is already opened. If i try to usee the finder, it sees just the library that is already in use, nothing more.
Should i uninstall and install N4 trough aquarius? I mention i checked and anything is placed where it should be in the nebula temprepository
Problem solved. I uninstaled and instaled Nebula again. Now everythinkg is fine
Old 14th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Small example of using Nebula3 skin for controlling Cupwise - Plates of Legend VOL1 and VOL2 simultaneously.
*(unfortunately it's not possible in Nebula4, since Acustica Audio removed corresponding code from N4 skin language)
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
*(unfortunately it's not possible in Nebula4, since Acustica Audio removed corresponding code from N4 skin language)
Downgrading the feature set. Priceless.
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Small example of using Nebula3 skin for controlling Cupwise - Plates of Legend VOL1 and VOL2 simultaneously.
I asked Giancarlo about some of that stuff in 2017. N4 REQUESTS: Global Linking, Program Toggles, HQ Rendering -
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Nothing, I sad nothing, can open up a strumming acoustic guitar ITB like Timp Surge.
This is too natural sounding for a computer software. Too good. I don't deserve it.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

I apologize for any elements of this question that are just flat-out stupid. I'm new to Nebula but enjoying what I'm hearing so far and finding all this business much easier to use/install than I expected.

So here's my question(s).

I recently picked up Alex B's Sontec (because I'd be crazy not to). Everything is working peachy. In his detailed instructions for all of his Nebula programs, he has this:

2.1 - Parameter Settings
Some parameters must to be set into Nebula's MAST Page for better performance and Nebula experience:

1 – set the Mode from SIMPLE to GURU
2 – set the AHEAD to 6ms
3 – set the RATE CNV to 4500ms
4 – click on save and reload Nebula

For starters, there doesn't seem to be a "MAST Page" anymore. Clicking on "Edit" in N4 brings up this guy (which looks a lot like my old Kurzweil KSP8):

If I click the "Settings" button this pops up:

Expanding things gives me this:

Here's one more screenshot which gives version information for N4:

Clearly I can adjust "AHEAD" and "RATE CNV" (which was already at 4500 ms) here. But there's no sign of any kind of "SIMPLE" or "GURU" modes.

So here's what I'm wondering. Are the steps necessary? Are these simply about optimizing the processing, or are they critical to getting things sounding/working correctly? As it stands, near as I can tell, the Sontec is doing everything it's supposed to.

And should I still be trying to track down simple versus guru somewhere in all this?

Thank you in advance.

bryan
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
Nothing, I sad nothing, can open up a strumming acoustic guitar ITB like Timp Surge.
This is too natural sounding for a computer software. Too good. I don't deserve it.
Just out of curiosity, is "Surge" a GML 8200?

bryan
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma View Post
Just out of curiosity, is "Surge" a GML 8200?

bryan
No, Bryan, it is better.

Look, it is 100 x GML 8200 for 35£ instead of one GML8200 for 3500£. So, it is 8200 x 100 = GML 820'000 if you want.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, Bryan, it is better.

Look, it is 100 x GML 8200 for 35£ instead of one GML8200 for 3500£. So, it is 8200 x 100 = GML 820'000 if you want.
aAhahahaha!
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
No, Bryan, it is better.

Fine.

I just bought it.

Downloading now.

Happy?

bryan
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma View Post
I apologize for any elements of this question that are just flat-out stupid. I'm new to Nebula but enjoying what I'm hearing so far and finding all this business much easier to use/install than I expected.

So here's my question(s).

I recently picked up Alex B's Sontec (because I'd be crazy not to). Everything is working peachy. In his detailed instructions for all of his Nebula programs, he has this:

2.1 - Parameter Settings
Some parameters must to be set into Nebula's MAST Page for better performance and Nebula experience:

1 – set the Mode from SIMPLE to GURU
2 – set the AHEAD to 6ms
3 – set the RATE CNV to 4500ms
4 – click on save and reload Nebula

For starters, there doesn't seem to be a "MAST Page" anymore. Clicking on "Edit" in N4 brings up this guy (which looks a lot like my old Kurzweil KSP8):

If I click the "Settings" button this pops up:

Expanding things gives me this:

Here's one more screenshot which gives version information for N4:

Clearly I can adjust "AHEAD" and "RATE CNV" (which was already at 4500 ms) here. But there's no sign of any kind of "SIMPLE" or "GURU" modes.

So here's what I'm wondering. Are the steps necessary? Are these simply about optimizing the processing, or are they critical to getting things sounding/working correctly? As it stands, near as I can tell, the Sontec is doing everything it's supposed to.

And should I still be trying to track down simple versus guru somewhere in all this?

Thank you in advance.

bryan
Hi bryan,

I think most of the reference mentioned relates to NEBULA-3. I don't think N-4 has 'Guru' mode.

As to the suggested settings. Generally, N-4 is already set to handle most Libraries. Some Devs do offer setting changes ... but typically those are designed/targeted for a SetUPs version of a Library ... where you can customize N-4 to a specific Library.

It should be mentioned that using the custom SKIN of S-432, you will not see SETUPs button showing on N-4. I don't know if this is a bug, or a limitation on the Devs.

Within SETUPS there are all kinds of special settings/values that can be added in the 'magic' section [i believe]. I'm more old school, where we EDITED the actual Nebula/N-4 XML file [basically a TEXT file with a very specific format].

Hope this is a start to be helpful. Maybe start a new thread [linked here] if you need to pursue further.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Try AlexB S432!
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Hi bryan,

I think most of the reference mentioned relates to NEBULA-3. I don't think N-4 has 'Guru' mode.

As to the suggested settings. Generally, N-4 is already set to handle most Libraries. Some Devs do offer setting changes ... but typically those are designed/targeted for a SetUPs version of a Library ... where you can customize N-4 to a specific Library.

It should be mentioned that using the custom SKIN of S-432, you will not see SETUPs button showing on N-4. I don't know if this is a bug, or a limitation on the Devs.

Within SETUPS there are all kinds of special settings/values that can be added in the 'magic' section [i believe]. I'm more old school, where we EDITED the actual Nebula/N-4 XML file [basically a TEXT file with a very specific format].

Hope this is a start to be helpful. Maybe start a new thread [linked here] if you need to pursue further.
Excellent. Thank you!

bryan
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
No, Bryan, it is better.

STOP!! I’m just trying to make the difficult decision over whether to purchase ‘Surge’ or AA ‘Green’! I can get Green for around €44 and they are re-sampling this plus adding (presumably) the GML 8900 comp so I’d get that for free! Pretty sure in it’s current state, that Surge would win the fight..
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
STOP!! I’m just trying to make the difficult decision over whether to purchase ‘Surge’ or AA ‘Green’! I can get Green for around €44 and they are re-sampling this plus adding (presumably) the GML 8900 comp so I’d get that for free! Pretty sure in it’s current state, that Surge would win the fight..
If that helps I prefer Green over Surge. There is something I cannot define what Green does to mids and that I like and that I couldn't achieve this with Surge.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
If that helps I prefer Green over Surge. There is something I cannot define what Green does to mids and that I like and that I couldn't achieve this with Surge.
Thanks! It definitely helps, most people have stated a preference (sonically) for Surge but obviously it’s more of a hassle to work with, without using Patchwork or other chaining solutions.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Thanks! It definitely helps, most people have stated a preference (sonically) for Surge but obviously it’s more of a hassle to work with, without using Patchwork or other chaining solutions.
A year ago I’d say it was a no-brainer to but Surge. With the Green refresh eminent... yes, much tougher call.

Surge certainly won’t be broken once Green is revised. That Library will remain impeccable!

That said, the Magenta upgrade was staggering, and it’s hard to not suggest Green as an investment now...
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stergios T. View Post
Hi.
Iam new ti nebula world and i have some questions.
I ve already read many threads,articles etc regarding nebula but i still don't understand how to create a mono version for some nebula programs that don't have a mono version.i read the Nebula tips and tricks in acustica official facebook page but i got confused.

Is it possible to create a mono N4 setup which can be used with every library-program?
Is it neccessary to do this?what if i insert n4 in a mono track?does it still proccess in stereo with a mono output?
Do i gain in cpu performance with a mono version for mono channels?

-how do you recommend using drive and input in tapes and preamps?

-which are the best options for reducing cpu usage except for making a higher buffersize N4 version?

-is there any quantec reverbs library?

-which are the 3 best tape libraries?(nebula please,not aqua)

-which types of programs- libraries (except compressors of course) make use of the attack-release sliders?

-which finetunings-tunings do you suggest for N4?

Iam looking forward for your answers.thanks
-

can someone please give me some answers? willtheweirdo??
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
A year ago I’d say it was a no-brainer to but Surge. With the Green refresh eminent... yes, much tougher call.

Surge certainly won’t be broken once Green is revised. That Library will remain impeccable!

That said, the Magenta upgrade was staggering, and it’s hard to not suggest Green as an investment now...
Hmmm, a strong case for Green I think! I do like to support the ‘Tims’ where possible though. Really, what I’m looking for is something to provide clean cuts on instruments and mixbus. I already have a gazillion Acquas and Nebula libraries but think these two maybe what I’m looking for. Unless there are any better suggestions?!
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
-how do you recommend using drive and input in tapes and preamps?
We do NOT normally drive into Nebula, we use proper -18 dbu gain staging with Nebula, then simply choose libraries that do the drive and distortion for us.

Quote:
-which are the best options for reducing cpu usage except for making a higher buffersize N4 version?
I run everything Nebula @1024 buffer, that works best on my system.

Quote:
-is there any quantec reverbs library?
I have most Nebula verb libraries and I'm not aware of any Quantec verb libraries.

Quote:
-which are the 3 best tape libraries?(nebula please,not aqua)
IMHO, both R2R tape libraries and Tim P's.

Quote:
-which types of programs- libraries (except compressors of course) make use of the attack-release sliders?
Each library maker uses the knobs and sliders differently, Tim Cupwise seems to use them the most.

Quote:
-which finetunings-tunings do you suggest for N4?
I've learned over the years to not fine tune Nebula and run my libraries as each developer suggests for the best results.

Learn about Nebula technology and search this thread, it will go a loooooong way to answering many of your questions. Track down the Nebula video series if you can, IMHO it really helps explain the technology.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
We do NOT normally drive into Nebula, we use proper -18 dbu gain staging with Nebula, then simply choose libraries that do the drive and distortion for us.

I run everything Nebula @1024 buffer, that works best on my system.

I have most Nebula verb libraries and I'm not aware of any Quantec verb libraries.

IMHO, both R2R tape libraries and Tim P's.

Each library maker uses the knobs and sliders differently, Tim Cupwise seems to use them the most.

I've learned over the years to not fine tune Nebula and run my libraries as each developer suggests for the best results.

Learn about Nebula technology and search this thread, it will go a loooooong way to answering many of your questions. Track down the Nebula video series if you can, IMHO it really helps explain the technology.
Thanks for your responcea
What about n4 and mono versions?
Do i have to make a mpmo version for each library or i can just make a mono setup of n4 and load the libraries which don't come in mono?
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Cupwise - Plates of Legend vol. II "Legend Continues"
Updated + On sale now.

This entry provides more of that stunning plate sound sampled from two additional plates, and with each example of plate sounding different, it’s always good to have at least a handful of different flavors of this sound at your disposal. You may find that you prefer one plate for guitars and another for vocals and yet another for snares, etc.

This time around we have another stereo plate with solid state amp, but this one had a popular aftermarket electronics mod installed (Codename: Apollo). There’s also another of the older mono plates with the original tube amp (Codename: Minotaur). Again, they were sampled for use in Nebula to include a fully functional, sampled dampening control.

Update info:

*NEW SKINS! There are new skins for both N4 and N3.

*I made a subtle change to the dynamic behavior. Programs used to kind of 'stick' at the loudest sampled steps after a loud input, for way too long (super slow release). Now the release is a little faster so the dynamics are a bit more... dynamic, after loud sounds. Probably nobody will actually notice this change in action though, including me. It's pretty subtle.

*I cropped the reverb tails down to 5 seconds for all lite programs, while adding about a half second fade out at the end. Now they use even less CPU. I don't think it's very noticeable at normal levels, but the whole point of the lite programs is to not have full quality while using less CPU.

*Harmonic levels increased a bit to match hardware better.

*Optimized the harmonics using a method I've been using lately, which improves CPU use a little. Programs should also load faster and use less RAM.

*Made dynamics more feedback detector based. Not going to explain exactly why, but it's based on my personal beliefs that it produces the most authentic results with reverbs.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Acoustic band, folk pop, a song tempo 88bpm
Drums, acoustic bass, a bright acoustic guitar, upright piano, male bariton voice and some BVs.

Only Nebula (coz I became Nebuloid)

What would you use, friends?
Which Line ins, preamps, eqs, comps, consoles, reverbs, everything... but don’t forget: Nebula only :-)
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Drums, acoustic bass, a bright acoustic guitar, upright piano, male bariton voice and some BVs.

Which Line ins, preamps, eqs, comps, consoles, reverbs, everything... but don’t forget: Nebula only :-)
A lot of the choices we make in mixing are personal, so all youll get are a bunch of opinions. Learning how to choose is a big part of mixing.

I suppose I'd start you off with MFC console from AlexB, MFQ eq from him too and Mantis compressor forN4 from the AA store.

That's a cleanish chain.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:

It's like spices in cooking, you have to know flavors and than you need to know what do you expect from your meal.

You'll need TimP's Opto 3a and U76, those are workhorses ;-)
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I'd say Alex B 9KC, AlexB Soundtech432, Tim P U76 based on my own preferences.

Very crisp sounding chain!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search