The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Ok, so Alex B has a sale on until the 7th Jan and i've been thinking about getting a Console for a long time but you can't demo them. I have listened to the soundclips on his site but there is no way to really compare the different console sounds. So i wanted to ask you guys, are they really, really worth it? Sonically how will my mixes benefit by using them? I see a lot of people bigging them up, but i'm a bit skeptical? Can you convince me? Thanks in advanced.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Ok, so Alex B has a sale on until the 7th Jan and i've been thinking about getting a Console for a long time but you can't demo them. I have listened to the soundclips on his site but there is no way to really compare the different console sounds. So i wanted to ask you guys, are they really, really worth it? Sonically how will my mixes benefit from using them? I see a lot of people bigging them up, but i'm a bit skeptical? Can you convince me? Thanks.
MFC is worth it just for the mixbus

Even better when you use it on busses and channels.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
MFC is worth it just for the mixbus

Even better when you use it on busses and channels.
Do you mix into the console bus presets like modern or do you put them on after?
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablopicasso View Post
Do you mix into the console bus presets like modern or do you put them on after?
I think you should mix into the presets.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalin View Post
I think you should mix into the presets.
Cheers, thats what i was thinking.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, mix into it.

That may cause too much latency for you however (it does for me), so you can copy the curves (load each library via PluginDoctor so see the EQ curve) to a CPU friendly EQ (I use CraveEQ). When you're happy with the production and arrangement (i.e. mixing only, not using VSTi's etc) you simply swap the 'temp' EQ's for the real thing.

Once you save the temp EQ curves as presets it takes no time at all. Waves Q-Clone is an even easier option. I love the sound of CraveEQ (analogue) mode though so am happy with a rough approximation.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, mix into it.

That may cause too much latency for you however (it does for me), so you can copy the curves (load each library via PluginDoctor so see the EQ curve) to a CPU friendly EQ (I use CraveEQ). When you're happy with the production and arrangement (i.e. mixing only, not using VSTi's etc) you simply swap the 'temp' EQ's for the real thing.

Once you save the temp EQ curves as presets it takes no time at all. Waves Q-Clone is an even easier option. I love the sound of CraveEQ (analogue) mode though so am happy with a rough approximation.
Gold!
Real good work around, cheers!
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, mix into it.

Can you save the eq curves from plugin doctor to load into other eq’s or do you just copy and try to match them up?
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

Manual/visual copy.

Q-Clone is a lot faster. You only need to load each library into Nebula then hit 'Save preset'.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Ok, so Alex B has a sale on until the 7th Jan and i've been thinking about getting a Console for a long time but you can't demo them. I have listened to the soundclips on his site but there is no way to really compare the different console sounds. So i wanted to ask you guys, are they really, really worth it? Sonically how will my mixes benefit by using them? I see a lot of people bigging them up, but i'm a bit skeptical? Can you convince me? Thanks in advanced.
No difference in using a pre ie. HO Titan or something.
The footprint of the electronics that are employed to control the digital sound towards a more analogue one with the taste of the console emulated.

Accumulative use gives better results. Would not have any track without them being employed at each stage.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, I do the EQ curve copy on busses and mixbus only. For channels I use True Iron and sometimes VPRE. Line in added (and VPRE removed) when starting the mixing only stage.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The Complex Expander is excellent and so is the TNT, i actually find myself using the TNT more.

The Ebony Acqua plugin has an expander as well: YouTube
thanks!
I actually do have the Ebony plugin here and didn't see the expander version ... blush.
Since you seem to have them all: I will try the ebony now... how does it compare to your complex or tnt? inferior, as good, just different?
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablopicasso View Post
Gold!
Real good work around, cheers!
But remember ... you get NO harmonics using the 'substitute'. [No dimensional character].

If CPU/RAM is the issue:

1. Pre-Render each track with the Console IN of choice.

2. Place the Console BUS on the Master Fader [1 instance], and maybe on Sub-Busses.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
VB Plate on Drums: YouTube

VG Reverb: YouTube
thanks for the links.

It seems - to my ears listening to these different sources- that the VG reverb is more transparent and less like a 'plume of wool' compared to the VB plate.

Does someone have both and can tell me about the cpu consumption of those?
Is one lighter on the cpu?
I've got the ebony plate ... is it roughly the same?

Last edited by gearsuser; 4th January 2019 at 05:49 PM..
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear
One is an E*T 140 and the other a 240. I wouldn't choose based on cpu as they are different beasts.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
thanks for the links.

It seems - to my ears listening to these different sources- that the VG reverb is more transparent and less like a 'plume of wool' compared to the VB plate.

Does someone have both and can tell me about the cpu consumption of those?
Is one lighter on the cpu?
I've got the ebony plate ... is it roughly the same?
I've found VG is a little darker than VB

CPU is pretty heavy on my machine/Logic Pro X, VG i remember being lighter.

The Ebony plate is much lighter CPU wise and is very usable, sounds pretty darn different though. To my ears VBP sounded way cleaner and with the drive up the harmonics were simply beautiful compared to Ebony.
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've found VG is a little darker than VB

CPU is pretty heavy on my machine/Logic Pro X, VG i remember being lighter.

The Ebony plate is much lighter CPU wise and is very usable, sounds pretty darn different though. To my ears VBP sounded way cleaner and with the drive up the harmonics were simply beautiful compared to Ebony.
Hi,
I found a VB demo and compared that to Ebony too and came to the same conclusion as you. Yes, Ebony is lighter but less 'clear, less open'/murky... something that I find in general with timP and AlexB vs AA Acqua stuff.
Thanks again and regards!
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Nut

Does anybody know the correct order of operations for Tim P's Silk EQ?

On the description it says

PRE>MID>H L in series

does ">" mean before? i mean why not just number them.. (yes i know > & < is greater than vs less than)

usually his pres come after. on the preamp plugin gui it says insert after H L.

am i an idiot or is this unnecessarily confusing
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Strange. One instance of Ebony kills my machine, whereas TimP's VBP is no problem at all.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Some Libraries only offer 2 Sample rates.

I think the reasoning being that 44.1 converts quite easily/directly to 88.2 [2x44.1=88.2]. This is not a common rate used ... and I don't know how N4's conversion accounts for the higher bandwidth [mystery].

96k easy converts/downsamples [96/2=48] to 48k.

At least the math is 'simple'.

In ACQUA format, AA usually release 44.1 and 96k to start. Then later will provide a Samplerate update package with 48 and 88.2.

Maybe AlexB will post his rationale for only 44/96.
Indeed. I know I prefer the Tim P format where there's 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96. Good coverage and you can delete what you don't need. Space is something that should be considered more often! For 192 I'd still prefer native where possible, but it comes along so rarely that it's not a big deal.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Strange. One instance of Ebony kills my machine, whereas TimP's VBP is no problem at all.
The same here!
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you mean the EBONY channel strip instance?
Because the EBONY reverb instance is lighter on cpu than the VBP in my machine.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Do you mean the EBONY channel strip instance?
Because the EBONY reverb instance is lighter on cpu than the VBP in my machine.
I think it may have been the strip...

I'll try the demo again and check.
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi,
I'm was comparing to the Ebony Reverb only… not the strip.
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think it may have been the strip...

I'll try the demo again and check.
Definitely use the standalone reverb. Or if you do use the strip, turn off everything besides the reverb and pass filters.
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
When I put MFC on my master bus, my reaction was "Oh f*ck" and now there is no going back.
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3fstaxn View Post
Does anybody know the correct order of operations for Tim P's Silk EQ?

On the description it says

PRE>MID>H L in series

does ">" mean before? i mean why not just number them.. (yes i know > & < is greater than vs less than)

usually his pres come after. on the preamp plugin gui it says insert after H L.

am i an idiot or is this unnecessarily confusing
1ST: PRE
2ND: MID
3RD: HI/LOW

The Pre order thing can change with certain libraries.
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
The same here!
I was talking about using the standalone Ebony reverb plugin as an insert, not the full strip.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Just compared Ebony (verb only) and TimP's VBP in N4.

VBP: 0.0 to 0.3% (0.3 is a peak, it's usually at 0.0!)
Ebony: 1.1% (consistently)

OSX (hackintosh) via Reaper.
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just bought T-Tape, looking forward to testing it tomorrow. Also nabbed the 140 and 240 reverbs.
Hi,
I also bought T Tape which is -to my surprise- a really different tape sound to owned J37 and Taupe.

As you also mention ATE by AlexB and have alll the other Tape plugins as well:
Where does the ATE fit into all these other tapes?
Again, completely different and therefore a 'must' addition when having the other ones already?... just trying to find a reason not to spend another 40 € as I'm interested also in S432 and TMS and BP1 by AlexB :o)

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search