The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Head

Yeah I just got Smack VU and 660 from Cupwise last night, Cupwise comps r really good! Smack definitely smacks, plus the fact that u can adjust the attack and release with both those comps- u can get even smackier. I'm trying to get a collection of DBX comps, TimP's got the 160A, Cupwise's got the 160VU, is there a version of the 160xt out there? From what I understand the DBX 160xt is the dirty grimey 160.
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Once again ... AlexB's SoundTec 432 EQ ... nothing short of fantastic.

With each Mastering Session I've placed it on.
Old 31st December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam A View Post
Yeah I just got Smack VU and 660 from Cupwise last night, Cupwise comps r really good! Smack definitely smacks, plus the fact that u can adjust the attack and release with both those comps- u can get even smackier. I'm trying to get a collection of DBX comps, TimP's got the 160A, Cupwise's got the 160VU, is there a version of the 160xt out there? From what I understand the DBX 160xt is the dirty grimey 160.
I have TimP's 160A, definitely full-bodied and equally fantastic. I tried the UAD 160 and it's also good (apart from the stupid tiny GUI) but I'm so glad I got the Smack VU.

I'm wondering if I should get the Flucti and Lunchpail, I have the UAD equivalents, has anyone compared them?
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post
I have TimP's 160A, definitely full-bodied and equally fantastic. I tried the UAD 160 and it's also good (apart from the stupid tiny GUI) but I'm so glad I got the Smack VU.

I'm wondering if I should get the Flucti and Lunchpail, I have the UAD equivalents, has anyone compared them?
I have not compared.

But I own both of those libraries and can promise you they are world class tools.
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Nut

Any love for Acqua Crimson?
Old 1st January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
I have not compared.

But I own both of those libraries and can promise you they are world class tools.
I'm not sure I really need the Flucti but I bought the Lunchpail, it compliments the UAD nicely (more flexible and I like the punch) handy to have both in the context of CPU/DSP limits.

Happy New Year, everyone
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
There is Henry Olonga mojo of Dbx 160xt and Signaltonoise Dbx 165a...
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Head

oh Henry's got the 160xt- nice! ... th3fstaxn-'any love for Crimson?' - oh heck yeah, I got Crimson on most mixes, it's beautiful
Old 1st January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
oh Henry's got the 160xt- nice! ...
The Henry Olonga mojo programs only give the "colour" of the device, no compression.
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Nut
Hi!
I am loading 96k EAR reverbs in a 44.1k session an I am seeing this little arrow by the n4 sample rate converter and I think it is not correctly resampling.
FRT: 96000Hz -> 96000 Hz <- (this arrow is flashing)
I remember there was a fix for this somewhere in xml settings. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Screenshot by Lightshot
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Maniac
TimP has a 25% sale with code HYND and worked fine first purchase but when I tried to buy something else it said code had already been redeemed. Anyone else seeing this?
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Something interesting coming soon from Cupwise
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Something interesting coming soon from Cupwise
Looks like new plates...
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
Looks like new plates...
Rather renewed)
TimC has hugest plates collection in Nebulaland.

Last edited by ceejay; 2nd January 2019 at 08:02 PM..
Old 2nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi!
I am loading 96k EAR reverbs in a 44.1k session an I am seeing this little arrow by the n4 sample rate converter and I think it is not correctly resampling.
FRT: 96000Hz -> 96000 Hz <- (this arrow is flashing)
I remember there was a fix for this somewhere in xml settings. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Screenshot by Lightshot
You probably need to EDIT the RATECONVERSION value.

This can be done editing the XML file.

Look for <RATECONVERSION> 4500000 </RATECONVERSION>

try a setting like: <RATECONVERSION> 9000000 </RATECONVERSION>

Do we need to remind making a BACKUP of the XML first ... just in case.
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
You probably need to EDIT the RATECONVERSION value.

This can be done editing the XML file.

Look for <RATECONVERSION> 4500000 </RATECONVERSION>

try a setting like: <RATECONVERSION> 9000000 </RATECONVERSION>

Do we need to remind making a BACKUP of the XML first ... just in case.
Thank you so much!
This actually made quite a difference. I used N4 setups for this, no fussing with XML's.
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thank you so much!
This actually made quite a difference. I used N4 setups for this, no fussing with XML's.
Noob question but why do you need to load 96k in a 44k session? Any benefits?
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3fstaxn View Post
Noob question but why do you need to load 96k in a 44k session? Any benefits?
Just because when I purchased these libs I planned on running 96k so I downloaded 96k versions. Now I mainly run 44k, cause 96k is too much for my MBP + nebs and aquas.
I probably should re-download them at 44, because they take less space, but who got time for that.
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just because when I purchased these libs I planned on running 96k so I downloaded 96k versions. Now I mainly run 44k, cause 96k is too much for my MBP + nebs and aquas.
I probably should re-download them at 44, because they take less space, but who got time for that.
Less space and less CPU consumption, right?
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
TimP has a 25% sale with code HYND and worked fine first purchase but when I tried to buy something else it said code had already been redeemed. Anyone else seeing this?
TimP has changed so you can buy multiple times using code. Great discount to snap up some comps before his updates roll out very soon
Old 2nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would.

No sense doing SampleRate Conversion on the fly when we have Native Rates available.

Remember ... every N4 instance would Convert on first Load ... that takes time and resources.

More time than downloading the Native Project Rate.

Old 2nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
TimP has changed so you can buy multiple times using code. Great discount to snap up some comps before his updates roll out very soon
Do you know which libraries are being updated?

I recall Will (I think) saying Opto is to be updated. Can't wait for that, already love it.
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Do you know which libraries are being updated?

I recall Will (I think) saying Opto is to be updated. Can't wait for that, already love it.
No I just remembered him saying in november that he’d discovered a new technique for compressors and was going to update most of them before the RCA comp was released (which he just mentioned maybe in January?)
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I would.

No sense doing SampleRate Conversion on the fly when we have Native Rates available.

Remember ... every N4 instance would Convert on first Load ... that takes time and resources.

More time than downloading the Native Project Rate.

Yes, the impact on cpu is noticeable with the conversion within Nebula (as it should be, it's asking a lot). Though some releases don't have certain sample rates.

I know personally I prefer 44.1 and 48, then maybe 96 or higher for reverb programs. Slight difference when using high sample rates natively; upsampling and downsampling definitely sounds different and has an impact on CPU.

Additionally, big names are sample rate converting when dealing with lots of tracks at high sample rates. A good program to do this isn't hard to come by.
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Yes, the impact on cpu is noticeable with the conversion within Nebula (as it should be, it's asking a lot). Though some releases don't have certain sample rates.

I know personally I prefer 44.1 and 48, then maybe 96 or higher for reverb programs. Slight difference when using high sample rates natively; upsampling and downsampling definitely sounds different and has an impact on CPU.

Additionally, big names are sample rate converting when dealing with lots of tracks at high sample rates. A good program to do this isn't hard to come by.
Some Libraries only offer 2 Sample rates.

I think the reasoning being that 44.1 converts quite easily/directly to 88.2 [2x44.1=88.2]. This is not a common rate used ... and I don't know how N4's conversion accounts for the higher bandwidth [mystery].

96k easy converts/downsamples [96/2=48] to 48k.

At least the math is 'simple'.

In ACQUA format, AA usually release 44.1 and 96k to start. Then later will provide a Samplerate update package with 48 and 88.2.

Maybe AlexB will post his rationale for only 44/96.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Maniac

TimP VB Plate and VG Reverb: CPU load

Hi,

is there a big difference in CPU demand between TimP VB Plate and VG Reverb as regards the CPU load? Or are they both very demanding?

Which one has a denser texture and is darker ?
Do they both have the same reverb time?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by gearsuser; 4th January 2019 at 01:46 PM..
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Maniac

expander... Timp offerings

Is the Complex Expander a universal, musical expander or rather 'agressive' ?
Any other expander recommendations that I didn't think of?

I already have algo plugins that are expanders: Is it still benefitial/ more anaolog behavior using Nebula's for expander- functionaltity (…. all the rest will be Acquas and Nebulas anyway)?

thanks!

Last edited by gearsuser; 4th January 2019 at 01:00 PM..
Old 4th January 2019
Here for the gear

Hello guys,
I wonder if there is a low-cut filter in nebula-land that treats the lowend like the dangerous music bax eq. I tried to replicate the bax 30Hz cut with some eqs and get the nearest results with a 12db lowcut at around 29-30 Hz and a q around 1.0 (for example with pro-q3). But even when the lowend under 30 Hz is treated almost bax-like this way the bax lowcut still sounds much more punchy and tidier in the area above 30Hz (between 50 and 250 Hz). I also tried the bp1 and some acquas and wasn't successful.
Bzw, I wish you all the best for 2019!
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Hi,

is there a big difference in CPU demand between TimP VB Plate and VG Reverb as regards the CPU load? Or are they both very demanding?

Which one has a denser texture and is darker ?
Do they both have the same reverb time?

Many thanks in advance!
VB Plate on Drums: YouTube

VG Reverb: YouTube
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Is the Complex Expander a universal, musical expander or rather 'agressive' ?
Any other expander recommendations that I didn't think of?

I already have algo plugins that are expanders: Is it still benefitial/ more anaolog behavior using Nebula's for expander- functionaltity (…. all the rest will be Acquas and Nebulas anyway)?

thanks!
The Complex Expander is excellent and so is the TNT, i actually find myself using the TNT more.

The Ebony Acqua plugin has an expander as well: YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search