The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3fstaxn View Post
First impressions a lot of this stuff seems very suttle...or am I doing something wrong?

So far I have done my usual Gain staging -18dB w max peaks at -12.

Quite a few of the stock tape machines and pre amps are giving me a very harsh digital artifact tone!!! No matter what level. Also on the Henry O. stuff too! What the hell? I read the Nebula manual twice.

Someone help please! Just dropped $300 and I’m worried now.........
I use N4 all day everyday and NEVER use the stock library. Start with Tim Petherick, Cupwise and AlexB.

The new AlexB Sontec EQ for example is incredible!! Got to figure out what you want to hear and purchase the corresponding libraries. Consoles are subtle but brilliant when you process everything using the line i/p, grp bus and master buss.
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear
Yup, don't bother with the stock library. But even with 3rd part devs, mic and console effectiveness comes from their subtlety.

When you try 3rd party reverbs eqs and comps on top of the consoles you should hear something you'll like.

You've not wasted your money. Give it a chance.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
A few sessions were 'work in progress'. About the only re-considerations after adding El Rey, was to remove a PreAmp [think it was BluMU] from the chain. It was too much ... and actually worked better with the substitution.
Gearsuser - TimP's BlueMu sounds tubey as you described.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the tips. After sitting with it for a few hours this is a game changer for me. Like I was saying my only concern was the metallic ringing no matter the gain staging on certain presets. (Found a couple in Henry O) Does anyone know the reason for this?
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for all the tips. After sitting with it for a few hours this is a game changer for me. Like I was saying my only concern was the metallic ringing no matter the gain staging on certain presets. (Found a couple in Henry O) Does anyone know the reason for this?
Yes ... your INPUT level into N4/Nebula is too high. [-18dB=0VU]
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Yes ... your INPUT level into N4/Nebula is too high. [-18dB=0VU]
Nope, in both of my post it says I gain staged source perfectly. (Maybe that wasn’t as clear in second post)
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope, in both of my post it says I gain staged source perfectly. (Maybe that wasn’t as clear in second post)
Maybe specify the exact Presets causing issue.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Nut

Complaints aside...this is the sound I’ve been looking for....so much so that I plan on limiting all algo effect plugs to maybe just delays/wideners, basic utility stuff. For full on analog distortion I’m thinking of just driving tracks Into Moog inputs and back out to my daw, mixing it in as a parallel effect....if only I would’ve Tried nebula before Black Friday....wasted mad dough on weak plugins.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Nut

NVS ClearCracker from HenryO was one of them, there were a couple more I think. A handful of tape and preamps from the stock collection, I already uninstalled all stock stuff to make room for more.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I love AITB verbs, they have a large collection of spaces.... also look at Signal To Noize for verb boxes.
Cheers, will take a look at STN, missed those
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
NVS ClearCracker from HenryO was one of them, there were a couple more I think. A handful of tape and preamps from the stock collection, I already uninstalled all stock stuff to make room for more.
Though I have all the Libraries ... all Stocks removed long time back. The few HO Libraries I have are from the purchase days. The only one I recall is the 'Claire-phonx'. [not saying the other HO's are bad though].

The 'stock' libraries did have some with preset issues. There are some good ones in there, but once you get involved with the 3rd Party Libraries, different ballgame. I view the 'stocks' as a sample tasting.
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablopicasso View Post
Cheers, will take a look at STN, missed those
Signal To Noize are often overlooked by Nebula users..... but I reach for his verbs and filters almost every mix so IMHO start there..... it's a shame people can't demo his work.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Nut

Very rough, obviously but this was made in my first hour in Nebula with henryO pack. Give it a listen it’s kinda cute

tfa nebula test.aif - Google Drive
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
For full on analog distortion I’m thinking of just driving tracks Into Moog inputs and back out to my daw, mixing it in as a parallel effect....
I do that with my Moog, Analogue Heat II, and other pedals, synths, and outboard distortion because IMHO as of today Nebula tech can't do that dark driven distortion properly..... so it's good to have hardware for that when needed.

Quote:
if only I would’ve Tried nebula before Black Friday....wasted mad dough on weak plugins.
We all live and learn and most of us were exactly where you are, just be glad you found a better tool alternative for your music. The negative propaganda around Nebula is something many of us have seen for almost a decade now, but the tide is slowly turning.

As always, to each their own.... and welcome to the Nebula family.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Signal To Noize are often overlooked by Nebula users..... but I reach for his verbs and filters almost every mix so IMHO start there..... it's a shame people can't demo his work.
Just taking a look now, so much good stuff in Nebula world, TimP’s Emt verbs have blown me away, cant wait to see more from this guy!
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablopicasso View Post
Just taking a look now, so much good stuff in Nebula world, TimP’s Emt verbs have blown me away, cant wait to see more from this guy!
IMHO Tim P is a Nebula Jedi, every library he makes is top notch.
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
IMHO Tim P is a Nebula Jedi, every library he makes is top notch.
Yeah I’m really enjoying his stuff, so good.
Don’t mind the limited demos or no demos in Nebula world either.
Old 20th December 2018
I recently bought the Cupwise 4K Crush and C660 mk3.

I'm so glad that 4K got a new skin

2 excellent additions to my collection

edit: AlexB has a sale on, picked up the BP1 Filter, it's quite something!
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Also grab AlexB's Sontec 432 EQ. Absolute amazing sound.

I've now used this EQ in several Mastering sessions, a variety of musical styles. This is a top flight EQ.

The Hi Freq Shelf is illuminating.
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Nut

Will, thanks, awesome so far...actually came across a lot of your posts on Nebula and was forced to push the button. Are you intentionally not using software distortions in your chains?

Last edited by th3fstaxn; 20th December 2018 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: moar
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will, thanks, awesome so far...actually came across a lot of your posts on Nebula and was forced to push the button. Are you intentionally not using software distortions in your chains?
Yes, I just find outboard distortion fast and really different than digital distortion, NOTHING ITB can do what my Moog will do IMHO. I only like digital when not pushed, but analogue loves being pushed..... so these days I'm hybrid to maximize the advantage of both technologies. With a few select outboard pieces with a whole lot of Nebula/Acqua on my digital side I'm getting the sounds I'm looking for.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I just find outboard distortion fast and really different than digital distortion, NOTHING ITB can do what my Moog will do IMHO. I only like digital when not pushed, but analogue loves being pushed..... so these days I'm hybrid to maximize the advantage of both technologies. With a few select outboard pieces with a whole lot of Nebula/Acqua on my digital side I'm getting the sounds I'm looking for.
Are you sending audio through your moog synths or are you using Mogg pedals?
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Is there a particular Nebula configuration best for Tim's reverbs? Currently using stock settings and get CPU spikes (audio glitches). Can't not have the sound though!
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Is there a particular Nebula configuration best for Tim's reverbs? Currently using stock settings and get CPU spikes (audio glitches). Can't not have the sound though!
I use dspbuffer=4096 mod in nebula setups and works a treat
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
I use dspbuffer=4096 mod in nebula setups and works a treat
Thanks, will give this a pop.

Taupe vs Tim's tapes scheduled in today also. Fun times!
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Nut

What do new users need to know about buffer sizes? Is there anything under the hood in the settings that I need to know about that would affect sound quality? Can I do a default factory setting restore if I changed something by mistake and forgot about it in N4? I have Read manual a couple times and I’m still not clear on a few things... like Econo mode, Mono-L and stereo are confusing to me as well. I read that some people tweak those settings and use meta plugin or dual mono tracks for reasons... to process L&R differently, get more focus, etc. Seems intimidating, don’t want to overthink things..
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Nut

Anyone fancy doing a screencast/video of the steps to create a Tim Pethrick VB Plate setup with lower dsp? I still can't do it without getting errors . Also tried creating new xml/dll instances to change dsp that way and Cubase won't recognise :(
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
Are you sending audio through your moog synths or are you using Mogg pedals?
Both, I just can't get enough Moog in my life, lol.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Both, I just can't get enough Moog in my life, lol.
Well, I never used the external input of my Moog Grandmother. Have to try that!
Thanks for the tip!
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Another hidden gem from TimP (video shows original HW, but ya know, TimP's sounds just the same)
Very unique spring reverb. It's stereo by design, and not sounds like a spring!
So wide and warm, natural sounding reverb. And it's only £8.00 .. what ?! Crazy)
The Great Spring v2 - Tim Petherick

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search