The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 18th December 2018
  #4411
Lives for gear
Does anyone know/remember if the legacy N4 Free (not player) needs to be authorized, and, more important, can load free AlexB libraries?
I still have the installer and would like to use some free libraries.
Old 18th December 2018
  #4412
Lives for gear
 
Arionas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
Does anyone know/remember if the legacy N4 Free (not player) needs to be authorized, and, more important, can load free AlexB libraries?
I still have the installer and would like to use some free libraries.
No, it cannot load AlexB libraries.
Just the ones in AA website.
Old 18th December 2018
  #4413
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
No, it cannot load AlexB libraries.
Just the ones in AA website.
Ok thank you.
Old 18th December 2018
  #4414
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Just bought T-Tape, looking forward to testing it tomorrow. Also nabbed the 140 and 240 reverbs.
('nabbed' sounds like a sale : o )... is there one on?)

I own the Ebony AA plate: how do these differ? Just tiny variations or completely different?
140 and 240: what is the difference?

Thanks!
Old 18th December 2018
  #4415
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlandsamuel View Post
Studer J37 t's a 4 track machine for multitrack at 15IPS.
Studio Icons: Studer J37 - MusicTech

And Nagra T-Audio it's a 2 track machine for mastering with 7.5 and 15 IPS.
YouTube


Nagra more colored and saturated device with unique "Print" feature, not allowed with any nebula or acqua tapes.

Studer great for tracking and tape compression, better than in Taupe tapes. When we test it on multitracks, they are become solidifying in dynamics not as usual compressor, but a tape like.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

I was asking because imho something doesn't feel right about Taupe when I compare it to J37. (in general) Acquas get you that 'finished polish', rounded of and bit 'dusty' quick but it feels a bit like a picture of something... it is not as open, raw and true to the source like TimP or AlexB stuff to my ears.

So it seems T tape is the right addition when working with J37 and I'm looking for some more masterbus 'glue and weight'
Old 18th December 2018
  #4416
Gear Maniac
 

'EL Ray' like weight from 3rd party developer

Question: Is there something so big and cushionlike and tubey from a 3rd party developer that would do what El Ray does?

For now I've been holding back from buying Acqua El Ray.
I like the bigness, openess but, as explained in my post above, I have some second thoughts soundwise when it comes to AA Acquas compared to TimP and AlexB offerings.

Who knows... maybe ALexB has done something that could replace El Ray?

Thanks in advance!
Old 18th December 2018
  #4417
Gear Maniac
 
ceejay's Avatar
@gearuser AlexB dynamics is not his strong point IMO, but TimP and TimC's strong side)
I think ElRey is stand on it's own in terms of low end weight and heavy bump.
Tubey dyn Neb's are TimP: Vari Level, Opto 3a, Blue mu, 100a. Cupwise's: C660, Flucti Mew.
Old 18th December 2018
  #4418
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
('nabbed' sounds like a sale : o )... is there one on?)

I own the Ebony AA plate: how do these differ? Just tiny variations or completely different?
140 and 240: what is the difference?

Thanks!
You're all good with Ebony - it's class. I use RS Transatlantic Plate as it's also great, but much better on the CPU (and it's being optimised as we speak). Ebony kills my mac.

140 is a much bigger plate and preferred for longer verbs as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Question: Is there something so big and cushionlike and tubey from a 3rd party developer that would do what El Ray does?

For now I've been holding back from buying Acqua El Ray.
I like the bigness, openess but, as explained in my post above, I have some second thoughts soundwise when it comes to AA Acquas compared to TimP and AlexB offerings.

Who knows... maybe ALexB has done something that could replace El Ray?

Thanks in advance!
El Rey is 100% worth the purchase. Adds weight, carves some space and tickles the highs. It's a killer plugin.
Old 18th December 2018
  #4419
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Question: Is there something so big and cushionlike and tubey from a 3rd party developer that would do what El Ray does?

For now I've been holding back from buying Acqua El Ray.
I like the bigness, openess but, as explained in my post above, I have some second thoughts soundwise when it comes to AA Acquas compared to TimP and AlexB offerings.

Who knows... maybe ALexB has done something that could replace El Ray?

Thanks in advance!
I too have many TimP Comp libraries, as well as most AlexB Comps, and all Acquas.

I've not tried to find/compare as 'similar', El Rey basically stands on its own. In multiple Mastering sessions, I've not had any fuss or muss that others have brought up.

A few sessions were 'work in progress'. About the only re-considerations after adding El Rey, was to remove a PreAmp [think it was BluMU] from the chain. It was too much ... and actually worked better with the substitution.
Old 18th December 2018
  #4420
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Goodness me. TimP's 140 - just been testing it on vocals. You were right @Arionas, a diamond indeed.

As much as I love RS Plate, VBP (140) is bigger, wraps around and saturates with warmth. Perfect for vocals.

£16? Madness.
Old 18th December 2018
  #4421
Gear Nut
 
Cali.bre's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Question: Is there something so big and cushionlike and tubey from a 3rd party developer that would do what El Ray does?

For now I've been holding back from buying Acqua El Ray.
I like the bigness, openess but, as explained in my post above, I have some second thoughts soundwise when it comes to AA Acquas compared to TimP and AlexB offerings.

Who knows... maybe ALexB has done something that could replace El Ray?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure that it'll be directly comparable to El Rey since that's a modded unit but TimP has his own RCA comp on the way...
Old 19th December 2018
  #4422
Gear Nut
 
th3fstaxn's Avatar
 

How do these Nebula emulations hold up vs Satson, Slate VCC, VTM or any other tape machine plugins? Or basically anything algo. Based / analog emulated?

I have VCC and haven’t been able to get the sound I want...to me it ruins my transients.

I tried N4 player last night and although extremely CPU intensive and glitchy I was kinda impressed.

Before I drop $300 on N4, Is this stuff really worth it?
Old 19th December 2018
  #4423
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3fstaxn View Post
How do these Nebula emulations hold up vs Satson, Slate VCC, VTM or any other tape machine plugins? Or basically anything algo. Based / analog emulated?

I have VCC and haven’t been able to get the sound I want...to me it ruins my transients.

I tried N4 player last night and although extremely CPU intensive and glitchy I was kinda impressed.

Before I drop $300 on N4, Is this stuff really worth it?
I discovered Nebula (and later Acqua) because of my dissatisfaction w/ Slate’s VCC. A large, large chunk of Nebula libraries are simply in another league compared to Slate and UAD.
Old 19th December 2018
  #4424
Gear Head
 

Hey what are the best Nebula Fairchild emulations? I'm trying to get that Beatles sound where the cymbals duck/pump down when the kick drum hits & it seems the Fairchild is the way to go (although I can get really good results with Cream's compressor B.) I've been blowing so much money on the Aqua deals that buying Ultramarine would kill my bank account, I hear Cupwise has a good 660, any others?
Old 19th December 2018
  #4425
Gear Nut
 
th3fstaxn's Avatar
 

Thanks for replying. Sounds promising and I would really like to take your word for it!

I just wish I could demo a console in the N4 Player for 30 minutes. (Too much to ask?)

The only things I want are a couple amazing tape and console emulations.

Drop $350 or go make music and get off the internet?
Old 19th December 2018
  #4426
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3fstaxn View Post
How do these Nebula emulations hold up vs Satson, Slate VCC, VTM or any other tape machine plugins? Or basically anything algo. Based / analog emulated?

I have VCC and haven’t been able to get the sound I want...to me it ruins my transients.

I tried N4 player last night and although extremely CPU intensive and glitchy I was kinda impressed.

Before I drop $300 on N4, Is this stuff really worth it?
Absolutely. The initial outlay is a bit high, but after that you can buy the best ITB stuff for relatively nothing. Console emulations, preamps, filters, comps, eqs, reverbs - so much gold in Nebula land.

You'll find yourself wanting a faster machine however Bouncing/printing/freezing tracks circumvents the need though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam A View Post
Hey what are the best Nebula Fairchild emulations? I'm trying to get that Beatles sound where the cymbals duck/pump down when the kick drum hits & it seems the Fairchild is the way to go (although I can get really good results with Cream's compressor B.) I've been blowing so much money on the Aqua deals that buying Ultramarine would kill my bank account, I hear Cupwise has a good 660, any others?
Cupwise C660 V3 is the one for you.
Old 19th December 2018
  #4427
Gear Head
 

Cupwise ah, cool I'll peep it out
Old 19th December 2018
  #4428
Gear Head
 

Any opinions on the old libraries by analog in the box... worth buying now or is there better options....how do they compare to alexb, I notice there seems to be some crossover between the 2 devs....
Old 19th December 2018
  #4429
Gear Addict
 

Sup guys, just finishing up a fresh install of OSX High Sierra. To my dismay, Nebula Setups 2 is totally unresponsive with a flat-out refusal to load the app. My lovely backed up setups are completely disabled.

I want to reinstall Nebula3 as well as I simply copied most plugins over from the backup drive and they work great when all other support files and stuff are in place. However, I cannot find the installers for N3 anywhere on Acustica's site.

Anyone got any clues for me, would be a great help as I want to get back to making music!

edit: found the N3 installers!

And reinstalling N3 has the setups registering again in Logic and Setups2 is starting up too!. Hooray! All set. Didn't think the App would depend on Nebula to such an extent, to be honest, so I thought it would be an OS compatibility issue.
Old 19th December 2018
  #4430
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablopicasso View Post
Any opinions on the old libraries by analog in the box... worth buying now or is there better options....how do they compare to alexb, I notice there seems to be some crossover between the 2 devs....
I love AITB verbs, they have a large collection of spaces.... also look at Signal To Noize for verb boxes.
Old 19th December 2018
  #4431
Gear Nut
 
th3fstaxn's Avatar
 

I’m about to purchase N4 tonight. Would any vets be willing to Lead me in the right direction on which console emu would work best for me? I produce electronic/hip hop/funk blends of music. I use a lot of Moog synths and talk box in my recordings. I want that punchy vibey realistic sound I haven’t been able to get out of Slate.

Mostly interested in tape plugs and consoles.. but... I’m basically wanting the necessary items to replace Slate Everything bundle...But I want to keep it simple and limit my choices to A few amazing comps, eq, preamps, Fx, etc.

What will absolutely wow me and also not break the bank right away?

Thank you!
Old 19th December 2018
  #4432
Gear Nut
 
th3fstaxn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Just bought T-Tape, looking forward to testing it tomorrow. Also nabbed the 140 and 240 reverbs.
How’d it go?
Old 19th December 2018
  #4433
Lives for gear
 
davidgary73's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3fstaxn View Post
I’m about to purchase N4 tonight. Would any vets be willing to Lead me in the right direction on which console emu would work best for me? I produce electronic/hip hop/funk blends of music. I use a lot of Moog synths and talk box in my recordings. I want that punchy vibey realistic sound I haven’t been able to get out of Slate.

Mostly interested in tape plugs and consoles.. but... I’m basically wanting the necessary items to replace Slate Everything bundle...But I want to keep it simple and limit my choices to A few amazing comps, eq, preamps, Fx, etc.

What will absolutely wow me and also not break the bank right away?

Thank you!
AlexB Consoles
N14 (Neve) @ AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - N14 Vintage Neev 14 Console - Nebula Programs
A16 (API) @ AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - A16 American 16 Console - Nebula Programs
4KC (SSL) AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - 4KC CLC Classic Logic Console - Nebula Programs

Tape, get Acqua Taupe (21 tape machines to choose)

Some good libraries you can invest later:
Tim Petherick
L-Bus Comp (SSL) @ L-bus comp - Tim Petherick
VBP Verb (140 Plate) VB Plate Reverb - Tim Petherick
VG Reverb (240 Plate) @ https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/vg-reverb/

Cupwise
Flucti Mew @ http://www.cupwise.com/fx/shop/fluct...v=0a10a0b3e53b

Freebie
Henry Olango free presets @ FREE! - Nebulapresets

Latest AA Acqua Ceil @ http://acustica-audio.com/pages/spec...x-rcbwzT7F-mxk
Old 19th December 2018
  #4434
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3fstaxn View Post
I’m about to purchase N4 tonight. Would any vets be willing to Lead me in the right direction on which console emu would work best for me? I produce electronic/hip hop/funk blends of music. I use a lot of Moog synths and talk box in my recordings. I want that punchy vibey realistic sound I haven’t been able to get out of Slate.

Mostly interested in tape plugs and consoles.. but... I’m basically wanting the necessary items to replace Slate Everything bundle...But I want to keep it simple and limit my choices to A few amazing comps, eq, preamps, Fx, etc.

What will absolutely wow me and also not break the bank right away?

Thank you!
Absolutely download HO's "All You Can Eat" first because it's huge and absolutely FREE!
FREE! - Nebulapresets

After that look to Alex B for his MFC aka AMS Neve 88RS console, it's IMHO the best console in Nebula land.

Look to AITB and Cupwise for real space verbs, STN for box verbs and Tim P & Cupwise for Plate verbs. Cupwise and Tim P are best for comps, Tim P and Alex B for EQ's, and STN for filters.
Old 19th December 2018
  #4435
Gear Nut
 
th3fstaxn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
AlexB Consoles
N14 (Neve) @ AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - N14 Vintage Neev 14 Console - Nebula Programs
A16 (API) @ AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - A16 American 16 Console - Nebula Programs
4KC (SSL) AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - 4KC CLC Classic Logic Console - Nebula Programs

Tape, get Acqua Taupe (21 tape machines to choose)

Some good libraries you can invest later:
Tim Petherick
L-Bus Comp (SSL) @ L-bus comp - Tim Petherick
VBP Verb (140 Plate) VB Plate Reverb - Tim Petherick
VG Reverb (240 Plate) @ https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/vg-reverb/

Cupwise
Flucti Mew @ http://www.cupwise.com/fx/shop/fluct...v=0a10a0b3e53b

Freebie
Henry Olango free presets @ FREE! - Nebulapresets

Latest AA Acqua Ceil @ http://acustica-audio.com/pages/spec...x-rcbwzT7F-mxk
Just pushed the button! Thank you!
Old 19th December 2018
  #4436
Gear Nut
 
th3fstaxn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Absolutely download HO's "All You Can Eat" first because it's huge and absolutely FREE!
FREE! - Nebulapresets

After that look to Alex B for his MFC aka AMS Neve 88RS console, it's IMHO the best console in Nebula land.

Look to AITB and Cupwise for real space verbs, STN for box verbs and Tim P & Cupwise for Plate verbs. Cupwise and Tim P are best for comps, Tim P and Alex B for EQ's, and STN for filters.
Will do! Thank you.
Old 19th December 2018
  #4437
Lives for gear
Check out CDSoundmaster too - another original dev. Good for pres, eqs, consoles and tape. Also one of my favorite libraries - vintage tubes and tube booster. Use them frequently! His libraries are old school in that they don't have skins (as far as I can remember), but that only impacts eqs and comps. They still work, but they are not as easy to use.

Oh and in case noone told you, nebula eqs are single band only. I love that personally, because it reduces tweaking syndrome.
Old 19th December 2018
  #4438
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Check out CDSoundmaster too - another original dev. Good for pres, eqs, consoles and tape. Also one of my favorite libraries - vintage tubes and tube booster. Use them frequently! His libraries are old school in that they don't have skins (as far as I can remember), but that only impacts eqs and comps. They still work, but they are not as easy to use.

Oh and in case noone told you, nebula eqs are single band only. I love that personally, because it reduces tweaking syndrome.
No doubt, I have a bunch of CDSM libraries and they are quality. His vintage API is the only one in Nebula land and both his SSL 4K consoles are nice, in fact I was mixing and matching them with Alex B's 4K SSL, when not using MFC, until I got my API Box mini console.
Old 19th December 2018
  #4439
Gear Nut
 
th3fstaxn's Avatar
 

First impressions a lot of this stuff seems very suttle...or am I doing something wrong?

So far I have done my usual Gain staging -18dB w max peaks at -12.

Quite a few of the stock tape machines and pre amps are giving me a very harsh digital artifact tone!!! No matter what level. Also on the Henry O. stuff too! What the hell? I read the Nebula manual twice.

Someone help please! Just dropped $300 and I’m worried now.........
Old 19th December 2018
  #4440
Gear Maniac
 
Osse_87's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3fstaxn View Post
I’m about to purchase N4 tonight. Would any vets be willing to Lead me in the right direction on which console emu would work best for me? I produce electronic/hip hop/funk blends of music. I use a lot of Moog synths and talk box in my recordings. I want that punchy vibey realistic sound I haven’t been able to get out of Slate.

Mostly interested in tape plugs and consoles.. but... I’m basically wanting the necessary items to replace Slate Everything bundle...But I want to keep it simple and limit my choices to A few amazing comps, eq, preamps, Fx, etc.

What will absolutely wow me and also not break the bank right away?

Thank you!
I have Alex b 4kc, 9kc, MFC, sp79. I would like to try the API aswell

To my ears, 9kc are a little more relaxed and extended hf response then 4kc, pretty often I find MFC too big/loose in the low-end.

I would probably say 4kc for compact aggressive sound or if you like a little sweeter sound 9kc.

Good luck console programs are awesome!! They make the tracks come alive
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
quincyg / Music Computers
754
Dom & Roland / The Moan Zone
10
marshallplexi / Music Computers
6
fingerbeats / Music Computers
10
Patric Noonan / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump