The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 14th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Beside this excellent 432 Equalizer [now a Top 3 in my arsenal]
And what other two?
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlandsamuel View Post
And what other two?
Though I wouldn't limit it to the 'other two', that said, AZURE-HQ, IVORY-eQ from the Acqua line get plenty of use.

For N-4: SURGE-eQ, MMeQ, ELY-eQ, A5M.

additional Nebula Libraries: W95S German Mastering eQ, even a Console EQ such as MFeQ, 4/9KeQ.

other notables: CORAL-eQ, COBALT-eQ, WHITE, Purple, PEARL, RUBY.

There is no particular order that I listed here ... just off the top listing.

Always Project dependent. Some call for clean, transparent ... while others take to color. More and more I tend to use transparent Equalization and use Comps, PreAmps, Tapes, Tubes for color/saturation.
Old 14th December 2018
Here for the gear

RJHollins
Thank's)
Alexb Teldec MPE30 sounds interesting too for mastering.
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
RJHollins
Thank's)
Alexb Teldec MPE30 sounds interesting too for mastering.
As yes, the Vintage Master eQ.

Thanks ... I need to go back and visit that one again ... been awhile. I did get a lot of good use with it [years back] ... but then a new Library came along ... and another ... things happen. I was invited as a beta-tester, and that has changed up my testing/experimenting routine I had. We've had a steady stream of ACQUA coming down the pipe, along with new Nebula Libraries [TimP, Cupwise, AlexB]... those earlier releases fade to the back. That is not a 'Diss'. It's just time management.

Thanks for the reminder though ... need to re-visit the Archive ... so many great Toys to play.
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Nut

Who is still using AlexB console emulations? How they compare to the latest aqua preamps? Or are they still the best console emulation?
I am thinking to buy the MFC.
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalin View Post
Who is still using AlexB console emulations? How they compare to the latest aqua preamps? Or are they still the best console emulation?
I always use MFC (Modern) on the mixbus. Wouldn't want to be without it.
Old 14th December 2018
Quote:

I use MFC, N14 and A12 religiously, i feel they are superior in tone and weight. In particular Alex B's A12 line and preamp inputs on drums & percussion in comparison to Pink2, no contest. In the Acqua realm I find Navy's pre's to be quite pleasing especially on effects busses. Overall, N14 is my unsung hero, everything I put through it sounds good whether it be rock, jazz, country, hip-hop/rap, pop etc.
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Many times. And MFC is a major player because of the Soundstage it opens.

Of course, each of the other Console have a definite place/use, be it SSL, API, TUBE, even the GMC [German Mastering Console].

Have near all AlexB Consoles ... but the MFC just works. I can then get differing sonic attitudes from other Presets or Acquas.

OR I use a combination ... start NEVE ... end SSL [how we use to do back in those daze].
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
I use them from beginning to the end.They tighten up the digital deadness and
bring you closer to the analogue sound.
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Maniac
I’m using metaplugin to host 5 x N4 instances of DocFear. However on a multitrack drum session, it delays the output on the track it’s on (Reaper) . Tried setting PDC within metaplugin but delay still there (was 40k odd). Just tried Blue Cat patchwork demo and no delay. Do I have to jump ship to patchwork? Anyone notice this issue in Metaplugin?
Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
As yes, the Vintage Master eQ.

Thanks ... I need to go back and visit that one again ... been awhile. I did get a lot of good use with it [years back] ... but then a new Library came along ... and another ... things happen. I was invited as a beta-tester, and that has changed up my testing/experimenting routine I had. We've had a steady stream of ACQUA coming down the pipe, along with new Nebula Libraries [TimP, Cupwise, AlexB]... those earlier releases fade to the back. That is not a 'Diss'. It's just time management.

Thanks for the reminder though ... need to re-visit the Archive ... so many great Toys to play.
Yes, the same thing, all new libs. replace old one and forget all the time about them)
Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
They have their drawbacks, but still very good. Lately, i started use MFC for tracking (with native eq and comp like pass-through) and 4KC for mixing stage ( with native 4KeQ BRN) but because AlexB comps. are bad on compression, i use 4K crush ( TimC ) for channel mixing comp. and Lbus (TimP) for G bus comp to complete emulate SSL mixing stage. With FM, C660 and Sontec on master stage it's a perfect sound tract for me. And i prefer it to Acquas with the exception of Taupe.

PS: Seems GZ changed Native eq to Oxford EQ, but meant MFeQ.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
They have their drawbacks, but still very good. Lately, i started use MFC for tracking (with native eq and comp like pass-through) and 4KC for mixing stage ( with native 4KeQ BRN) but because AlexB comps. are bad on compression, i use 4K crush ( TimC ) for channel mixing comp. and Lbus (TimP) for G bus comp to complete emulate SSL mixing stage. With FM, C660 and Sontec on master stage it's a perfect sound tract for me. And i prefer it to Acquas with the exception of Taupe.
When you say you use MFC for tracking you mean you're using the line in on each track?
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear
Good also to mention that the upgrades for the consoles are worth it if you still have old ones.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you say you use MFC for tracking you mean you're using the line in on each track?
Preamp (capturing the source), <tracking plugin chain (comp/EQ) >, Line In (going to console).
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Preamp (capturing the source), <tracking plugin chain (comp/EQ) >, Line In (going to console).
Got it! Thanks!
Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

Mic Pre (or/and youre favourite preamp)>Line in>Eq>Comp>Gbus>Master bus>Multitrack Tape>

It's a tracking path of MFC for each track

Than mixing on 4KC

Mic pre (i like 4kc mic pre)>Line in>Eq>4kcrush>Gbus>Lbus>Masterbus>FM>Sontec>C660>Master tape

Gbus and Master Bus at mixing stage not on every track, only on groups and correspondingly at Master slot.

http://i.piccy.info/i9/5668741f6e1c6.../1287192/1.jpg
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi,
how does Tim Petherick's T tape differ from J37 Tape?

Darker, more weight, more saturation,... or the other way around?
Rather similar sounding or completely different?

Thanks
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

@TimP Nebula - please consider applying your magic to the Vertigo VSC-2

One of the best (if not the best?) VCA comps, and the PA version, while great, is lacking.

Last edited by b0se; 17th December 2018 at 06:05 PM..
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Hi,
how does Tim Petherick's T tape differ from J37 Tape?

Darker, more weight, more saturation,... or the other way around?
Rather similar sounding or completely different?

Thanks
Studer J37 t's a 4 track machine for multitrack at 15IPS.
Studio Icons: Studer J37 - MusicTech

And Nagra T-Audio it's a 2 track machine for mastering with 7.5 and 15 IPS.
YouTube

Nagra more colored and saturated device with unique "Print" feature, not allowed with any nebula or acqua tapes.

Studer great for tracking and tape compression, better than in Taupe tapes. When we test it on multitracks, they are become solidifying in dynamics not as usual compressor, but a tape like.
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Maniac

@borlandsamuel i'd add that T-Tape (Nagra) has great pre which capable of hard tape-style clipping, pretty unique and nasty in a good meaning)
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Anyone know where I can get an N4 generic skin that is “half height” to default N4 skin please? It’s to use with DocFear and nebula setups, I like to stack modules on top of each other in Reaper so I can see everything. Surge EQ N4 skins are example of N4 half height skins and I can stack them nicely but stacking 5 x DocFear with standard Nebula GUI is not possible with my screen, all other N4 skin options are same height. Thought JPN had some free skins but seem to be N3 only. Thanks in advance!
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

On the subject of tape, AlexB's Analogue Tape Emulation (HW: Anamod ATS-1) needs a mention.

Very good indeed. Had it for some time (forgot I had it!) but just started comparing it to Taupe. Found myself loving the Ampex 351 variation on the mixbus (when mastering) at 15ips (rock track). Input drive at +2 and level at -10. Tape mode 2 (which I've just found out is GP9). It's BIG (watch that low end). Wide too.

(The Ampex in Taupe is preamp only.)
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
@borlandsamuel i'd add that T-Tape (Nagra) has great pre which capable of hard tape-style clipping, pretty unique and nasty in a good meaning)
Yes, indeed)
And guys, do not forget about the native Hiss files. They complement the tape.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Just bought T-Tape, looking forward to testing it tomorrow. Also nabbed the 140 and 240 reverbs.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just bought T-Tape, looking forward to testing it tomorrow. Also nabbed the 140 and 240 reverbs.
Perfect! I'd like to know later your opinion about T-Tape.
140 and 240 are plates made of diamond.
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Mic Pre (or/and youre favourite preamp)>Line in>Eq>Comp>Gbus>Master bus>Multitrack Tape>

It's a tracking path of MFC for each track

Than mixing on 4KC

Mic pre (i like 4kc mic pre)>Line in>Eq>4kcrush>Gbus>Lbus>Masterbus>FM>Sontec>C660>Master tape

Gbus and Master Bus at mixing stage not on every track, only on groups and correspondingly at Master slot.

http://i.piccy.info/i9/5668741f6e1c6.../1287192/1.jpg
You have such a different workflow with nebula compared to me! Interesting. Couple of Q's:

What do you mean with 'tracking' and 'mixing' path? Do you print MFC stuff on the tracks while recording (destructively?)

Do you generally insert the MFC chain you quoted above at every track just to print the sonic qualities from it even if you don't neccessarily use the EQ/compression for shaping?

Do you insert the 4KC instances in a later stage at the tracks when you have printed the MFC allready, or do you work with both at the same time(like in your picture)

I think what I don't understand is how you differentiate the tracking and mixing stage when working digitally, to me it sounds like you work destructively with MFC and non-destructively with 4KC.

The use of Gbus>Masterbus>tape on individual tracks is something I've never considered, what are the advantages of it compared to working with it like in your mixing stage

Sorry for the many questions
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just bought T-Tape
Good choose!
While testing Tape instance (aside from great Sat/Clip one), mind that INPUT knob, is not just a Nebula input level in this case, it has 7 actual different HW gain positions sampled for each tape speed! (like sampled VOL knob in CADPAN btw)
Here is PD pic of all 7 INPUT knob positions (16 ips) to get what i mean:
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-nagra-t_15ips.jpg  
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Good choose!
While testing Tape instance (aside from great Sat/Clip one), mind that INPUT knob, is not just a Nebula input level in this case, it has 7 actual different HW gain positions sampled for each tape speed! (like sampled VOL knob in CADPAN btw)
Here is PD pic of all 7 INPUT knob positions (16 ips) to get what i mean:
Had a play with T-Tape (in Plugin Doctor) last night and noticed this. Thanks for the graph, a great reference!
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Anyone know where I can get an N4 generic skin that is “half height” to default N4 skin please? It’s to use with DocFear and nebula setups, I like to stack modules on top of each other in Reaper so I can see everything. Surge EQ N4 skins are example of N4 half height skins and I can stack them nicely but stacking 5 x DocFear with standard Nebula GUI is not possible with my screen, all other N4 skin options are same height. Thought JPN had some free skins but seem to be N3 only. Thanks in advance!
If anyone was wondering, JPN does a bunch of 1 rack size N4 skins for 4 Euros. Pretty sweet

JPN skins - JPN skins added a new photo. | Facebook

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search