The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Addict

Used 432 on a mix yesterday and did some quick tests against Magenta and Ivory (Magenta was already in place). 432 is very direct and open with the high bell at its widest, extremely smooth and classy at all boost levels. It’s closer to Ivory than Magenta as expected but seems to have a more solid defined tone without any boosts. Being able to sweep the frequencies really helps fine tuning the high end as I often wish there were more frequency choices on some Aqua EQs (mainly Bronze!).

The 16KHz shelf is beautiful on vocals!! Much more testing to do but I think this is a must buy EQ for N4. To me it’s a very familiar sound, carving the low mids on a mix seems to open things up in a great way for example (0.5db) without losing body.

Never tried a real Sontec and probably never will. At this point I’m pretty sure this is the next best thing in software!!
Old 5th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Great tool for mixing when transparency and smoothness are essential.
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I just got a notification that there is a an update for Cupwise Flucti-Mew
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Nut
Seems like there is an included new Frankenstein - 2x76 driving vari mu with attack/release from smack?! :O
I am really enjoying Cupwise comps lately, love the added flexibility with variable attack/release compared to hardware and they always sound great!
I am going to put this up against M4 now
Old 5th December 2018
Lives for gear

Need to reiterate how good AlexB's 432 library is.

It was obvious from the the very first test that it was special, and the more I use it, the more I love it. It's not for everything—sometimes you need bite—but when you want to sculpt a track you're already happy with—retaining it's tonality—this is one of the best there is ITB at doing so. Perhaps the best. It's effortless, and the further you push, the more you think "when is this going to break apart?", but it doesn't.

Need to add some fullness at 330? Cut some mud at 400? Easy, and it does so like melted silk chocolate. I'll leave further similes to Asher :¬)

Cutting, btw, is as musical and as transparent as you'll get.

The low end is tight and clean, it doesn't bleed all over the spectrum. So easy to sweep with throughout the range, especially with regards to instruments and vocals. The top end is my favourite aspect, I think. As mentioned, the high shelf is stunning. Nothing has really compared to the Air band on the Silver Bullet until this library (compare PA Maag to this and you'll see what I mean). It can define and sharpen the highs without making them feel brittle or pokey.

FWIW - spent a couple of hours comparing it to my MIAD 4040 LCPQs today (beasts - unbelievably smooth with great character). While the 432 doesn't impart the same character, it's nearly as smooth (MIAD better, but a serious accomplishment). Couple 432 with a nice preamp—I was doing so with Gold2—and you have seriously powerful mojo/EQ possibilities.

Don't sleep on this library! It's insane VFM.

Edit: Will be comparing this to Magpha EQ and Equilibrium in analogue mode (using Sontec curves) next.

Last edited by b0se; 5th December 2018 at 10:00 PM..
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut View Post
I just got a notification that there is a an update for Cupwise Flucti-Mew
Where did you get notification? I don't have anything on mail or on site when i login.
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Maniac

New Cupwise Flucti is just stunning. I don't used previous version, but with this machine i can get all from subtle coloration with mastering dynamic improvement to totally smashed, limiter overdrive MU goodness, and all in-between. Especially i appreciate unique feature 0% to 100% compression, which is unique feature in whole compressor world, with which you able to mix between sampled unit passthru (with all harmonics) and sampled unit compression with fine adjusting all in-between.. I'm speechless. And this even no taking in account interpolated soft/hard knee, beautiful N3 skin with switching between all modes not loosing settings, and crazy additional "Special" program with two 76 driving the [email protected] which attack+release taken from 4K channel. Great job, Tim!
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

Cool ... hopefully I find time to get the upgrade this week.
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Exceptional indeed. You're going to love the highs on vocals btw, just been testing that myself.

Great tool for mixing when transparency and smoothness are essential.
Totally - that 16kHz shelf and some upper mid or top bell boosting is great on vocals. Really useful to be able to use this as a channel and bus EQ over a bunch of instances.
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Totally - that 16kHz shelf and some upper mid or top bell boosting is great on vocals. Really useful to be able to use this as a channel and bus EQ over a bunch of instances.
Yes, perfect. I avoided using character EQ's on instrument busses as one EQ may sound nice with one instrument, but not another. 432 affects them all while retaining individual tonality (while being polished/musical).

432 + Opto V2 (with preamp) on the instrument bus is quite special.
Old 6th December 2018
Gotta chime in to concur that Alex’s 432 is stunning, literally for me. I have all Acquas and a huge collection of 3rd party libs, and I had pretty much given up on thinking I was going to find a mastering EQ ITB that was truly amazing, and genuinely added to what I had going in my mix. I get all the character I want during mixing and don’t want additional - or too many - character pieces on the master. This EQ made my mix sound 10% better - smooth brightness with a balanced application across all dynamics, never harsh somehow, low boosts tighten up bass info, the pre unfolds low mids in a perfect way. Smooth and deep, and sounds rare as hen’s teeth.

Edit: I said “smooth”, but honestly the high boosts are more than that in that they sound aggressive, yet not harsh, and with a smooth sheen. It’s really something. Definitely has the sound of hit records.

Thanks so much, Alex. Beautiful work.

MG
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
The combo high low shelf is very useful.
This EQ sounds epic.
Love the depth and punch add to drum sound.
Old 8th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I've been an owner of Nebula3 since about 2010/2011. Is there an upgrade path for us long time users instead of the list 300€ price....?
Old 8th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sptz View Post
I've been an owner of Nebula3 since about 2010/2011. Is there an upgrade path for us long time users instead of the list 300€ price....?
Not right now. Contact your local dealer asking for a coupon.
Old 9th December 2018
Absolutely loving AlexB's new SoundTec 432 library. What I find interesting is that when using either of the 16kHz shelf combos, when boosting the 16kHz shelf between 0 and +3, it boosts the hi-mids, but actually filters the frequencies above 10kHz. It's only when boosting past +3/+4 that these frequencies start to reappear and eventually get boosted around +5/+6(max). The combos that contain the original 10kHz shelf act as expected. I'm guessing this is to do with the 16kHz mod that the owner requested?
Old 9th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Absolutely loving AlexB's new SoundTec 432 library. What I find interesting is that when using either of the 16kHz shelf combos, when boosting the 16kHz shelf between 0 and +3, it boosts the hi-mids, but actually filters the frequencies above 10kHz. It's only when boosting past +3/+4 that these frequencies start to reappear and eventually get boosted around +5/+6(max). The combos that contain the original 10kHz shelf act as expected. I'm guessing this is to do with the 16kHz mod that the owner requested?
I noticed this in Plugin Doctor also and was concerned - until I used it on audio of course. Then it was all smiles.

I'm currently using BlackCat Patchworks for the 432 strip, anyone having any success with Agent or similar?
Old 9th December 2018
Gear Maniac

TimP 37J Tape vs Taupe ... T Tape question

There is so much enthusiasm about Taupe... but to my ears the Tim P 37J Tape sounds like a much bigger, open soundstage and less 'fx like' compared to Taupe.

I will listen to Taupe again but it seems to me the usual impression that Tim P's plugins sound open, relaxed and wide while AA Acquas are have a narrower soundstage, lower 'ceiling' andless natural.

The only thing I wish for is a stereo tape:

Is the Tim P T Tape stereo? Or are all Nebula N4 plugins restricted to be mono by design?

Thanks!
Old 9th December 2018
Lives for gear

Nyrv Agent config made for AlexB's 432. The default knobs were the perfect match :¬)

Old 9th December 2018
Gear Nut

That alexb eq high end sounds awesome, opens everything up and gives definition/clarity. Only tried the demo, how does it handle low end/mids?

Has anyone tried the new Flucti update yet? I upgraded the 660 comp and it's very nice on instrument busses. Glue's them all together in a very natural way. Love the new skin as well.
Old 9th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
The only thing I wish for is a stereo tape:

Is the Tim P T Tape stereo? Or are all Nebula N4 plugins restricted to be mono by design?

Thanks!
Some DAWs let you split the left and right channels so you can process them independently. That's what I do in Studio One with Tim's 37J. The 37J has 4 channels you can choose as well, so I will use channel 1 on the left + channel 4 on the right, or channels 2+3 if I'm looking for a slightly mellower sound.

If your DAW can't do this, plugin hosts like Patchworks and Metaplugin can.
Old 9th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nyrv Agent config made for AlexB's 432. The default knobs were the perfect match :¬)
Could you please share this config ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Blackburn View Post
Has anyone tried the new Flucti update yet?
At this page, few posts higher: Nebula must have
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Could you please share this config ?
I was intending to share it here but I can't see how do do it.

Does anybody know?
Old 10th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I was intending to share it here but I can't see how do do it.

Does anybody know?
Hi b0se, How do you find Nyrv Agent with Nebula? I heard loads of stories a while back on here I think where it was very unstable. I went the LBX Stripper route in Reaper but unfortunately can use in Reaper only obviously. Would like one I can use in other DAWs
Cheers
Old 10th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Some DAWs let you split the left and right channels so you can process them independently. That's what I do in Studio One with Tim's 37J. The 37J has 4 channels you can choose as well, so I will use channel 1 on the left + channel 4 on the right, or channels 2+3 if I'm looking for a slightly mellower sound.

If your DAW can't do this, plugin hosts like Patchworks and Metaplugin can.
Thanks for the info!
That should mean I can create "presets' in Metaplugin e.g. called 'stereo Pink eq', 'stereo Gold compressor',...

Is it in practice very convenient to work with and there are no drawbacks?

Is a with the help of Metaplugin created stereo Acqua vst only twice the cpu load or will the Metaplugin itself use up essential cpu power?

Lastly: Will a Acqua ZL plugin stay 'latencyfree' within a Metaplugin?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Hi b0se, How do you find Nyrv Agent with Nebula? I heard loads of stories a while back on here I think where it was very unstable. I went the LBX Stripper route in Reaper but unfortunately can use in Reaper only obviously. Would like one I can use in other DAWs
Cheers
Like many I had issues (crashes) when scanning plugins. Could never get N4 VST scanned, but thankfully an AU scan found N4 before crashing out.

I've only used it so far for this 432 config, but it works as intended.
Old 10th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Like many I had issues (crashes) when scanning plugins. Could never get N4 VST scanned, but thankfully an AU scan found N4 before crashing out.

I've only used it so far for this 432 config, but it works as intended.
Thanks, I'm on Windows so no AU option but will give it a test again
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear
Just a quick note to say that i've compared Surge and 432 and the results are what I, at least, expected. Surge was absolutely accurate and 432 added a little extra sweetness, was a little softer.

A testament to the accuracy of both libraries to their respective sources IMO. Both useful at different times.
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Oh god damn thats cool. How???
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Oh god damn thats cool. How???
Agent is a wrapper (like BlueCat Patchwork) that lets you map multiple plugin instances to a single UI (that you create yourself).

Perfect for Nebula libraries. Takes a little time matching the dial frequencies (PluginDoctor invaluable here), as Agent doesn't know the values/range on the original plugin UI.

Once I find where Agent stores user presets/configs I'll upload here for anyone to use.
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agent is a wrapper (like BlueCat Patchwork) that lets you map multiple plugin instances to a single UI (that you create yourself).

Perfect for Nebula libraries. Takes a little time matching the dial frequencies (PluginDoctor invaluable here), as Agent doesn't know the values/range on the original plugin UI.

Once I find where Agent stores user presets/configs I'll upload here for anyone to use.
Awesome. I already bought it, if you come up with a preset that works I'd love it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search