The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 25th November 2018
  #4291
Gear Maniac
 
ceejay's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
Will the V3 version of Opto 3A have the preamp in the same instance as the comp? This would be very comfortable.
Tim's comps has separate pre by purpose. I'll quote he's corresponding comment from AA forum:
Quote:
Most saturation on a comp comes from the attack and release shape time and feedback circuit, this is due to compression distortion, this is why the pre and compressor is separated. There are two harmonic types coming from the compressor. This will not be accurate by doing it all in once instance. It's far more accurate this way.
Old 25th November 2018
  #4292
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
There will be a wait now..alot of compressors are getting fine tuned

anyway i'm just putting out new opto 3a to the beta's. A lot of testers are saying the've not heard anything like this before, so I hope if you own this already it will be a nice thing to fill in the time!

Opto 3a will warrant a v3 name as so many upgrades in the template have been made.
This makes me very happy! Opto V2 is already a beast.
Old 25th November 2018
  #4293
Lives for gear
 
vze26m98's Avatar
 

Just realized N4 isn’t part of the BF sale.
Old 25th November 2018
  #4294
Gear Maniac
 
ceejay's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
Just realized N4 isn’t part of the BF sale.
Old 26th November 2018
  #4295
Lives for gear
Ah, right when I just bought N4. I at least had a coupon though.
Old 1st December 2018
  #4296
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Trying to load the Tim P Blue 1102 V2 Pre doesn't load in N4. Programs from 3K 7K also not loading. All the normal programs (Lo Mid Hi) for the EQ load fine.

Wondering if it's an issue I missed and need to update.
Old 1st December 2018
  #4297
Gear Nut
 
Cali.bre's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Trying to load the Tim P Blue 1102 V2 Pre doesn't load in N4. Programs from 3K 7K also not loading. All the normal programs (Lo Mid Hi) for the EQ load fine.

Wondering if it's an issue I missed and need to update.
Great library! V2 is the latest version.
I have the filter, lo mid hi, pre and distortion programs. Don't recall seeing specific 3k-7k programs like with Alex B libraries.
Old 1st December 2018
  #4298
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Trying to load the Tim P Blue 1102 V2 Pre doesn't load in N4. Programs from 3K 7K also not loading. All the normal programs (Lo Mid Hi) for the EQ load fine.

Wondering if it's an issue I missed and need to update.
Check again if you copied all files into responding folders. Are you sure you used skin for N4?

In N4 it usually works all or nothing. If some libraries don't work than it's almost always problem with wrong copied files.
Old 2nd December 2018
  #4299
Gear Maniac
 
ceejay's Avatar
@brockorama and check your release version (in ReadMe.txt with lib) latest one is: 25/06/2018
Old 2nd December 2018
  #4300
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Thanks guys for the ideas.

@maiv yes all the files are there. It's really the first time I have seen this. I will check closer this week for any other reasons this might be happening.
Old 2nd December 2018
  #4301
Gear Nut
Ask TimP, he has account on FB and on AA forum, maybe he had such situation before?!
Old 3rd December 2018
  #4302
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
If you've not tried it - whack TimP's Opto V2 on the instrument bus. Magic! The preamp alone adds extra dimension and warmth.

I've missed a trick with preamps. Anyone have any they regularly reach for?
Old 3rd December 2018
  #4303
Lives for gear
 
drezz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
If you've not tried it - whack TimP's Opto V2 on the instrument bus. Magic! The preamp alone adds extra dimension and warmth.

I've missed a trick with preamps. Anyone have any they regularly reach for?
Pre-amps can really make a mix. I find loads of Neb/Aqua pres useful. The pres for Tim's stuff are always great. Some of the old pres on henry olonga stuff are awesome in nebula. the emi, the titan, those designed for kicks (bugs kick)...........preamp colours and saturation suite from alex b is great, as are the military tube stuff from signaltonoise.....................................admittedly lots of these i have updated to acquas (viridian, and cream, which are both glorious, and very varied).................

i've had some great luck with preamps to add that little something. it's like consoles, in the fact that they are so subtle some of the time, but added up in the mix, they bring the magic with them...................

Actually i could wax lyrical all day about viridian and cream pres........ but as we are in the nebula thread, i will err on the side of caution............. (but check em out..........!)
Old 3rd December 2018
  #4304
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
Pre-amps can really make a mix. I find loads of Neb/Aqua pres useful. The pres for Tim's stuff are always great. Some of the old pres on henry olonga stuff are awesome in nebula. the emi, the titan, those designed for kicks (bugs kick)...........preamp colours and saturation suite from alex b is great, as are the military tube stuff from signaltonoise.....................................admittedly lots of these i have updated to acquas (viridian, and cream, which are both glorious, and very varied).................

i've had some great luck with preamps to add that little something. it's like consoles, in the fact that they are so subtle some of the time, but added up in the mix, they bring the magic with them...................

Actually i could wax lyrical all day about viridian and cream pres........ but as we are in the nebula thread, i will err on the side of caution............. (but check em out..........!)
Yeah, I use the preamps within acquas (especially Gold2, Viridian and the tubes in Taupe), just haven't explored the Nebula landscape as much as I should. Titan is a favourite of course!
Old 3rd December 2018
  #4305
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
If you've not tried it - whack TimP's Opto V2 on the instrument bus. Magic! The preamp alone adds extra dimension and warmth.

I've missed a trick with preamps. Anyone have any they regularly reach for?
Well, there's Blu-MU. Another is AITB: FATE comp in TimeD mode. [mod].

AlexB Consoles, and the Preamp library [PC&S, MTP].

Henry O's - AYCE libraries [free] is pack with many goodies.

To note: With the addition of units like El Rey, TAUPE ... the choice of additional PRES becomes even more discerning. Spicing up a Mix can be tasty ... as long as it works well to the Track.

Every Project I receive for Mastering comes in variety, so the levels of additional 'spice' can be significant ... or none.

It can be a delicate balance act. Changing up the CHAIN or even the ORDER of the Chain.
Old 3rd December 2018
  #4306
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Well, there's Blu-MU. Another is AITB: FATE comp in TimeD mode. [mod].

AlexB Consoles, and the Preamp library [PC&S, MTP].

Henry O's - AYCE libraries [free] is pack with many goodies.

To note: With the addition of units like El Rey, TAUPE ... the choice of additional PRES becomes even more discerning. Spicing up a Mix can be tasty ... as long as it works well to the Track.

Every Project I receive for Mastering comes in variety, so the levels of additional 'spice' can be significant ... or none.

It can be a delicate balance act. Changing up the CHAIN or even the ORDER of the Chain.
Thanks for the tips on Blu-Mu and FATE.

AYCE is so comprehensive that I end up loading a preamp I already know

As you say, the order and combination is where the gold is hidden. Asher mentioned spending a week on testing for such. That's a serious effort!
Old 4th December 2018
  #4307
Old 4th December 2018
  #4308
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Instant purchase. Testing time
Old 4th December 2018
  #4309
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Instant purchase. Testing time
Vs Scarlet??

Scarlet3 is on sale at the moment for 66€ (with acqua ease of use) but if AlexB version sounds better than i'll buy that one?!
Old 4th December 2018
  #4310
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiv View Post
Vs Scarlet??

Scarlet3 is on sale at the moment for 66€ (with acqua ease of use) but if AlexB version sounds better than i'll buy that one?!
I've not used Scarlett.

What I can say is that this AlexB 432 library is serious quality. Transparent, musical and wonderful for shaping (I'm already spoilt with that due to my MIAD 4040's). This will likely be my go to for ITB mix top end, the 16K shelf (great addition) is butter smooth and can be pushed without 'saw edge' artefacts or smearing.

Still lots of testing to do with it.

An absolute steal at €40 (€32 for silver members).

Last edited by b0se; 4th December 2018 at 12:27 PM..
Old 4th December 2018
  #4311
Lives for gear
 

To tired to re-type, but from my post on AA:

Finally to see this for Public Release !

Had the pleasure and honor to participate in the 'testing' team, and immediately began putting it through analysis, and the
all important test Mastering session.

My first choice Audio was a 1987 Alt Rock recording that had not been Mastered.

Preparing for this, I had put together a special GUI interface [Reaper - Stripper], that housed the original EQ layout/function. Once I received
the beta-library, I could begin testing.

My initial EQ moves were a bit aggressive to start. WHY ... because I could continue pushing on a band with abandonment. [+/-6dB is really massive in Mastering]. I slipped through the large choices of FREQ [in both CUT/Boost] to sense out how the spectrum was affected.

Settling in on the needed Band Freq, Bandwidth [Q], and GAIN ... was decisive. I could broadly re-shape a given spectrum range, and also lock in on narrow band 'trouble' spots, with musical precision ... all the while maintaining a musical, vibrant, transparency.

The final GAINS required got into the 1/2dB zone on a couple Bands. The HF Shelf brought out what was previously missing in the original Mix presentation. Again ... I continued to A/B, finding that I could overdo the goodness. Tempering back the Gains maintained the original intent of the recording ... yet enhanced to fill out the soundstage top to bottom, left and right ... effortlessly.

This just one example.

N-4 users should consider DEMOing the provided Preset for their own listening. [I'm sure it is only a taste].

Great library creation AlexB. Well designed/layout/ efficient management of Presets.

Sincerely.


To add ... although I did a modest comparison to Scarlet-3 ... it was not overly detailed.

2. To be fair ... they are two different units of the same type.

AlexB might provide more exacting details of his unit.

Although I miss to ACQUA convenience, my Reaper STRIP layout is actually just as functional, with some additional features I like.

Scarlet was a very good release, but I just didn't lock in with it [possibly due to other releases] ... and the sound was good. We had Green and Ivory around
the same timeframe. But have to say, this AlexB Library made an early impression ... one that I hoped for from the 'clean' side of the processing side.

I was even able to use several in the chain from the FULL Preset. But for specific replication, a single FULL and all others in LE mode is what I tend to use.
I get plenty of Colors/saturation from other Acquas and N-4 instances.

AlexB supplies a DEMO Preset for a reason ...
Old 4th December 2018
  #4312
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
What do you mean by presets RJH?

Are you talking about the 50/100 to 10K/16K options?
Old 4th December 2018
  #4313
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
Great news!
Will the V3 version of Opto 3A have the preamp in the same instance as the comp? This would be very comfortable.

Unfortunately the problem with the meters in N4 has not been solved yet: it's still there in the latest N4. And (in my system) meters in Opto 3A and many other nebula compressors are jumpy and weird. Acustica aknowledges the problem, but the solution delays...
This is weird. When I last time updated the N4 I noticed it was more responsive and the meters where smooth and seemingly accurate. Now fast forward to yesterday - again all weird...
Old 4th December 2018
  #4314
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
To tired to re-type, but from my post on AA:

Finally to see this for Public Release !
Thanks RJHollins, great review!
Old 4th December 2018
  #4315
Gear Addict
 
B Elgin's Avatar
 

Alex's new 432 EQ is fantastic!

The 16kHz shelf is a killer addition, well-chosen and in general the highs are very sweet. No harshness.
Tight low boosts are powerful and focused and indeed - you can get away with bold 4-6dB moves just about anywhere in between if necessary.
My Buzz REQ pulls this off too, but that's hardly a fair comparison.

This will probably become my go-to bus EQ for mixing work - one on the drums bus and one on the front/foreground music bus for sure. I'll see how well it works on vocals, bass, and background groups too. I still use hardware on the main bus but wouldn't hesitate to add Alex's 5500 or 432 for extra control or their own character. EQs are still the highlight of Acustica/Nebula tech for me, the closest to convincing analog hardware sound in the box - more so than compression, saturation, or console stuff still (although it's all improved a lot and going in an exciting and promising direction).

For any mastering that must stay ITB this is definitely a top-ranking EQ. I don't have any delusions about it being totally equal to the HW, nor will I be that guy who starts telling people I'm using a Sontec but it's damn nice to have this type of sound in plugin form. Cheers to Alex for the great release.

The tone and depth certainly beats IK's model, and something especially nice happens in the low end even set flat. I'd choose this over a hardware GML EQ honestly.

Subtle enough that it's never overbearing, addictively enhancing.
Old 4th December 2018
  #4316
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Alex's new 432 EQ is fantastic!

The 16kHz shelf is a killer addition, well-chosen and in general the highs are very sweet. No harshness.
Tight low boosts are powerful and focused and indeed - you can get away with bold 4-6dB moves just about anywhere in between if necessary.
My Buzz REQ pulls this off too, but that's hardly a fair comparison.

This will probably become my go-to bus EQ for mixing work - one on the drums bus and one on the front/foreground music bus for sure. I'll see how well it works on vocals, bass, and background groups too. I still use hardware on the main bus but wouldn't hesitate to add Alex's 5500 or 432 for extra control or their own character. EQs are still the highlight of Acustica/Nebula tech for me, the closest to convincing analog hardware sound in the box - more so than compression, saturation, or console stuff still (although it's all improved a lot and going in an exciting and promising direction).

For any mastering that must stay ITB this is definitely a top-ranking EQ. I don't have any delusions about it being totally equal to the HW, nor will I be that guy who starts telling people I'm using a Sontec but it's damn nice to have this type of sound in plugin form. Cheers to Alex for the great release.

The tone and depth certainly beats IK's model, and something especially nice happens in the low end even set flat. I'd choose this over a hardware GML EQ honestly.

Subtle enough that it's never overbearing, addictively enhancing.
Exceptional indeed. You're going to love the highs on vocals btw, just been testing that myself.

Great tool for mixing when transparency and smoothness are essential.
Old 4th December 2018
  #4317
Lives for gear
Looking forward to comparing this to Surge....
Old 4th December 2018
  #4318
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Looking forward to comparing this to Surge....
That was my exact thought process

Enjoy!
Old 4th December 2018
  #4319
Lives for gear
Hoping someone can do a quick comparison of Scarlet with AlexB's new release I no longer have n3 to compare myself
Old 4th December 2018
  #4320
Gear Addict
 
leckel1996's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Hoping someone can do a quick comparison of Scarlet with AlexB's new release I no longer have n3 to compare myself
If you send me a file to do the comparison, I'd love to! I just quickly compared them and I'd say that Scarlet affects the tone of the source more. Like it's more obviously eq'd in a subtle way. It also collapses the front to back ever so slightly, while 432 is DEEEP!! Low end on the 432 also seems to be more dynamic when boosted, while Scarlet chokes transients slightly.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
quincyg / Music Computers
754
Dom & Roland / The Moan Zone
10
marshallplexi / Music Computers
6
fingerbeats / Music Computers
10
Patric Noonan / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump