The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeete View Post
well then you know you can save presets with multiple single instances within one N4 slot...?
I don't think that's right.

Can you clarify ?
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
well then you know you can save presets with multiple single instances within one N4 slot...?
Can you explain this further?
Old 18th November 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrdlof View Post
Why should I pay 600$ for a piece of iron crap. They just made segments on the market. If you don't understand it, then you are an idiot. My congratulations!
Yes! Totally agree. I want to be able to mix tunes on my Nokia 6210. Damn anyone who says it's not possible.
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Yes! Totally agree. I want to be able to mix tunes on my Nokia 6210. Damn anyone who says it's not possible.
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I don't think that's right.

Can you clarify ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Can you explain this further?
Well it was my understanding that using the N4 “preset maker” or whatever you call it you can add multiple N3-N4 single programs (ie.Preamp+LoEQ+MidEQ+HiEQ) and save it as say myN4EQ and it should show up as myN4EQ in my DAW plugin list and be instantly recallable. Or have I missunderstood something?
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well it was my understanding that using the N4 “preset maker” or whatever you call it you can add multiple N3-N4 single programs (ie.Preamp+LoEQ+MidEQ+HiEQ) and save it as say myN4EQ and it should show up as myN4EQ in my DAW plugin list and be instantly recallable. Or have I missunderstood something?
If that was indeed, I would make a party!
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
If that was indeed, I would make a party!
I mean N4 is capable of multiple single instances or else Bronze or HenryQ etc. wouldn’t work. I thought this preset system was one of the most talked about new features of N4. I have just played around with the N4 browser (adding multiple single libs from the library into a temp preset, but never tried it. I have only Bronze2 and TimP Opto3a as third party libs.
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mean N4 is capable of multiple single instances or else Bronze or HenryQ etc. wouldn’t work. I thought this preset system was one of the most talked about new features of N4. I have just played around with the N4 browser (adding multiple single libs from the library into a temp preset, but never tried it. I have only Bronze2 and TimP Opto3a as third party libs.
Try making a setup with a TimP OPTO3a Comp instance and a OPTO3a Pre instance together as one. Can you save and recall this configuration? If you can it’s news to me . . . but it would be great news!
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The feature you speak of is called SETUPS [now built into N4].

It allows you to select from from master library a group of Presets, and make a separate N4 that only has those Presets.

Now, not have to scan/load your entire N4 library database, only THOSE files load.

You can also set it to AUTO-LOAD a desired Preset [or not].

The 'new' N4 can also have a unique configuration setting if needed.

that's it briefly
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
The feature you speak of is called SETUPS [now built into N4].

It allows you to select from from master library a group of Presets, and make a separate N4 that only has those Presets.

Now, not have to scan/load your entire N4 library database, only THOSE files load.

You can also set it to AUTO-LOAD a desired Preset [or not].

The 'new' N4 can also have a unique configuration setting if needed.

that's it briefly
OK thanks for that clarification RJ. But does this feature then not answer the initial post I answered to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Fellow Nebheads . . .
What are you using to create and store chains of Nebula instances these days? I know of MetaPlugin and Patchwork, but have never used either, and there might be something else out there.
I don’t want to keep opening three instances of Nebula to use TimP’s VariLevel . . . etc.
I am the last wanting to spread "Fake News". Enough o' dem in these thar woods!
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK thanks for that clarification RJ. But does this feature then not answer the initial post I answered to?

I am the last wanting to spread "Fake News". Enough o' dem in these thar woods!
hehe ...

Was more concerned of someone mis-understanding, thinking they could 'build an Acqua-type' directly from a group of N4 Presets.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Try making a setup with a TimP OPTO3a Comp instance and a OPTO3a Pre instance together as one. Can you save and recall this configuration? If you can it’s news to me . . . but it would be great news!
You need to use a VST chainer. I'm using Blue cat's Patchwork for this. You create your VST chain, and save it as a Patchwork preset. Then you duplicate the Patchwork.dll and rename it Opto3a.dll for example.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
hehe ...
Was more concerned of someone mis-understanding, thinking they could 'build an Acqua-type' directly from a group of N4 Presets.
So RJ, what am I doing wrong here? I am starting to follow up on my testing and well... it's not working when I call up my custom SETUP. I get an empty N4 instance.... hmmmm
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-screen-shot-2018-11-19-22.31.28.jpg   Nebula must have-screen-shot-2018-11-19-22.51.17-copy.jpg   Nebula must have-screen-shot-2018-11-19-22.39.18.jpg  
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
So RJ, what am I doing wrong here? I am starting to follow up on my testing and well... it's not working when I call up my custom SETUP. I get an empty N4 instance.... hmmmm
Didn't set a default preset maybe? 'd' button your preferred preset

And you'd have to have setup for the pre and one for the opto too right?
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
As mentioned ... the 'd' assigns the Preset you select from the custom list as the Default Auto-Load Preset.
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

L-BUS is so damn good, still nothing ITB has beaten it.

And why oh why (that I can remember) have I never whacked Opto V3 on the mixbus before? 1-2 dB touch is absolutely killer.

Anyone else updated to the latest Cupwise C660? Might grab that today instead of the new Overloud C670.

Edit: Updated - it's fantastic.

Last edited by b0se; 20th November 2018 at 02:20 PM..
Old 20th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi schmeete, maybe you misunderstood what setups are, can and cannot do :

- A setup is an N4 plugin instance with only a choosen subset of libraries (loads faster), his own plugin name (nice looking in your DAW's inserts), and possibility of fine-tune settings for those libraries (in the xml file)

- A setup can have a default library loaded when plugin is inserted. Be careful, this "default preset" will have a fixed samplerate, so if you have different samplerates for different projects you will have to load the corresponding preset if it's not the same samplerate as your project.
If no default preset is defined, the plugin will load empty, and you must load the choosen preset via the Finder.

- A setup cannot load several libraries at the same time, nor can it chain them in a single plugin instance. For example I have made a setup with all the Opto-3a libraries ; for a complete emulation, I must insert one Opto-3a setup plugin loaded with the comp library, followed by the same setup plugin loaded with the Pre library.
In my DAW it looks like two consecutive instances of Opto-3a plugin.

Of course, you can make different setups for Comp, Limit and Pre, or for different samplerates, or one setup with all you Nebula comps, another with all the pres... you're free.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabilon View Post
Hi schmeete, maybe you misunderstood what setups are, can and cannot do :

- A setup is an N4 plugin instance with only a choosen subset of libraries (loads faster), his own plugin name (nice looking in your DAW's inserts), and possibility of fine-tune settings for those libraries (in the xml file)

- A setup can have a default library loaded when plugin is inserted. Be careful, this "default preset" will have a fixed samplerate, so if you have different samplerates for different projects you will have to load the corresponding preset if it's not the same samplerate as your project.
If no default preset is defined, the plugin will load empty, and you must load the choosen preset via the Finder.

- A setup cannot load several libraries at the same time, nor can it chain them in a single plugin instance. For example I have made a setup with all the Opto-3a libraries ; for a complete emulation, I must insert one Opto-3a setup plugin loaded with the comp library, followed by the same setup plugin loaded with the Pre library.
In my DAW it looks like two consecutive instances of Opto-3a plugin.

Of course, you can make different setups for Comp, Limit and Pre, or for different samplerates, or one setup with all you Nebula comps, another with all the pres... you're free.
xabilon thanks for clarifying that for me. I was indeed getting messed up by the setups, seemed completely logical to be able to construct multiple N3-N4 single instance within one N4 wrapper, since one of the biggest communicated advances of N4 was to finally by able to handle more than one “sample instance” like the Aquas could always do. Being able to use N4 as a custom AA Rack that could be saved as a plugin for instant recall, is surely where N4 must be going no? Giancarlo? I mean N4 has already the ability to host multiple “sample instances”, how much more work would it be to make this work in N4?
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Head

Hi schmeete, just get Blue cats patchwork and you can make chains of any nebula combination you like.
You can also include any vst you want in the chain if you want to create a channel strip from nebulas and vst programs in the same chain.
The latest version of patchwork is drag and drop. This makes it very fast to make new chains from old ones by opening multiple instances of patchwork chains you have already made.
You just drag the different nebula programs or vst you want into a new blank copy of the patchwork window.
Once you have a new chain you like just name it and save it. Super fast way to work.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Anyone else updated to the latest Cupwise C660? Might grab that today instead of the new Overloud C670.

Edit: Updated - it's fantastic.
Second that. I've only used the A version on drums so far, but it brought that fc weight and class.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moge View Post
Hi schmeete, just get Blue cats patchwork and you can make chains of any nebula combination you like.
You can also include any vst you want in the chain if you want to create a channel strip from nebulas and vst programs in the same chain.
The latest version of patchwork is drag and drop. This makes it very fast to make new chains from old ones by opening multiple instances of patchwork chains you have already made.
You just drag the different nebula programs or vst you want into a new blank copy of the patchwork window.
Once you have a new chain you like just name it and save it. Super fast way to work.
This is how I've done it also. Very handy for those using multiple daws. I find N4 setups highly unintuitive FWIW.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by moge View Post
Quote:
This is how I've done it also. Very handy for those using multiple daws. I find N4 setups highly unintuitive FWIW.
Thanks for the tip moge. I don't have many N3s only TimPs 3a and 1102. The rest are N4s new Gen. I could see this being handy for folks that have and work a lot with these N3s. I work in Logic so I save favourite plugin chains directly in there.

B0se you have a very good point though regarding the DAW interchangeability with Patchwork presets. "Intuitive" is what I would call something else at least for this old man. The whole Nebula xml and tuning thing is pretty geeky. I prefer to not get under the car unless I really have to Easier on the back....

In all seriousness though guys, don't you think N4 should have this kind of capability in it now or soon, given it's multi-instance capabilities? @zaphod ?
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I prefer to not get under the car unless I really have to Easier on the back...

In all seriousness though guys, don't you think N4 should have this kind of capability in it now or soon, given it's multi-instance capabilities? @zaphod ?
Haha!

Yes I agree completely. It's clear that AA, 3rd party N4 and Aquarius N4 can co-exist peacefully (synergistically, even) in the market. They are, of course, managed sold and distributed in a different manner, but surely it wouldn't hurt to allow stacking of 3rd party stuff N4 now.

How hard would it be to offer a 'rack' of N4 instances? They're just containers that pass I/O to each other. Imagine an N4 with a button to 'Add library'. Another N4 popped up underneath. With an option to hide the default N4 skin. Winning.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
From a developer's perspective I think that this could decrease the Aqua sales.
However I hope I'm wrong and N4 multi-instance capabilities become a reality.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't believe it will. Nebula has a sharp learning curve and a high price of entry, and most aren't willing—or even vaguely interested—in exploring it. In a world that is absolutely driven by the need for something right now (and as good/easy as possible), Acquas are the obvious solution. Especially considering the calibre of stuff AA are kicking out at the moment.

Multiple N4 instances would just make life easier for some long-term users (who more than likely own multiple AA's also).
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

Quote:
I don't believe it will. Nebula has a sharp learning curve and a high price of entry, and most aren't willing—or even vaguely interested—in exploring it. In a world that is absolutely driven by the need for something right now (and as good/easy as possible), Acquas are the obvious solution. Especially considering the calibre of stuff AA are kicking out at the moment.

Multiple N4 instances would just make life easier for some long-term users (who more than likely own multiple AA's also).
Well guys multiple "Instances" per say are already happening in N4, things like BRONZE2 or SteDal's Sounddrops are not Aquas and need the N4 framework to function. It is combining all instances into one window already. So it would be, nice via what the SETUP visually represents in sorts, to load up a complete TimP EQ for instance (no pun intended)
Maybe its got something to do with developers not willing/ready to sign into the N4 bandwagon.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear
It absolutely does. Nebula is close to G's heart, but it is sadly nowhere near his wallet. The original 'business model' was more akin to an enthusiasts open source platform and was not economically sustainable.

As the business grew and the decision was taken to go full time, G implemented some necessary policies. To his credit, he let the original devs stay on, even in N4, out of respect for their early contributrions to AA, but he couldn't afford to share enhanced N4 functionality with them because they declined to sign up for the N4 program. This includes fees on new libraries which contribute to AA business viability.

Aquas are by far the biggest chunk of sales and we should all be happy that they are growing, imrpoving and keeping AA in business. Viva the non-tweakers! What we have now is the best situation for us as Neb-tweakers without weakening AA as a business.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

The very first acquas were in cooperation with 3rd party devs. Anyone remember trinity? They were announced and disappeared with very little fanfare.
The history here is something we are not privy to, and I for one do not like to speculate. The timeline is not a squeaky clean one, that's for sure.

As a proud N4 owner, I am just happy I get to enjoy all of these tools in the same mix. I wouldn't want to be without any of them.
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Maniac

Check out this post regarding envelope follower results on 2a on my face book page! It's the next step! super happy with these results!

Tim P Nebula Libraries - Home | Facebook
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't have many N3s only TimPs 3a and 1102. The rest are N4s new Gen.
Check your Tim P account as I believe both of those libraries have N4 updates with skins.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search