The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear
Hi. I am new to N4. Its difficult to read the full thread. Please clear my 3 doubts.

1. Can we make sub directories for different libraries in Vectors and Programs folders?

2. In N4 can we merge 2 or more programs? For example taking high pass from 1 library and high shelf from another?

3. I purchased MFC and in its manual some recommended settings are given to be changed in N4. Also TimP website has some recommend settings for N4. Can these settings conflict from one library to another?
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear
Read up on Nebula Setups. This is going to help.

Specifically on 2 answer is no unless the dev does this. Only affects eqs really. Mostly they are single band.
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Maniac
This is a picture of the actual comp El Ray is based on. According to this video it is an RCA BA6B YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-greg-wells-comp.jpg  
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Tim is still working on it and will be out when its ready
Yes this is true.

Just so everyone knows, before that BA release, i'm planning some more updates for all compressors, some more advancements have been made.
Old 27th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
Yes this is true.

Just so everyone knows, before that BA release, i'm planning some more updates for all compressors, some more advancements have been made.
I like the sound of that!
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
Yes this is true.

That sounds great!
Old 28th October 2018
Lives for gear

Selling SoundDrops Mantis and Acoustica Water, get in touch if your interested.
Old 28th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
Hi. I am new to N4. Its difficult to read the full thread. Please clear my 3 doubts.

1. Can we make sub directories for different libraries in Vectors and Programs folders?

2. In N4 can we merge 2 or more programs? For example taking high pass from 1 library and high shelf from another?

3. I purchased MFC and in its manual some recommended settings are given to be changed in N4. Also TimP website has some recommend settings for N4. Can these settings conflict from one library to another?
1) Nebula4 comes with pre-made folders in "AlternativeDataPath” folder. Move AlexB MFC Programs & Vectors to the “AlternativeDataPath” AlexB folder or you can move the “AlternativeDataPath” to another drive (to free up space in your main drive).

Launch N4, go to SETTINGS tabs, under Alternative data path, select + and locate the “AlternativeDataPath” AlexB folder, save and relaunch N4.

2) Unfortunately you can’t merge presets. You can only use one preset at a time.

3) You can change N4 settings given they do not conflict with each other

For more AA tips & tricks etc, join us @ Acustica Audio - Official Group public group | Facebook

and also sign up for AA newsletter (Get free mixing tips, product and artist news, and more) via the form in the footer @ Acustica Audio - Professional Audio Software - Acustica Audio
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Addict
Is there a MCI JH-500 or similar console in the Nebula world?
Old 28th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Is there a MCI JH-500 or similar console in the Nebula world?
CD Soundmaster has an MCI, I think it is a 500 series.
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
CD Soundmaster has an MCI, I think it is a 500 series.
Yes, MCI JH 536
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Addict
This is awesome, thanks!
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Maniac
I'm about ready to self master some tracks and was looking for an algo limiter at end of my chain. I have TimP TNT and Complex that includes limiters, would these be consider suitable for MAstering?

I know I can test the difference myself but Mastering seems a dark art to me and was wondering if Nebula Limiters would be too colouring for the sound? What about TimP DL16FiFTY6 v2, says its a clean Limiter but I swear Ive read Acustica tech can't do Limiting as well as algo.

Any advice appreciated! Cheers
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
I'm about ready to self master some tracks and was looking for an algo limiter at end of my chain. I have TimP TNT and Complex that includes limiters, would these be consider suitable for MAstering?

I know I can test the difference myself but Mastering seems a dark art to me and was wondering if Nebula Limiters would be too colouring for the sound? What about TimP DL16FiFTY6 v2, says its a clean Limiter but I swear Ive read Acustica tech can't do Limiting as well as algo.

Well, you'd be right in that Nebula can't do Brickwall Limiting. None of those libraries will do that but instead, they are high ratio and potentially very fast reacting compressors. That's the old definition of a Limiter before the modern brickwall limiting we have today. They were named specifically for limiting peaks and dynamic range when cutting to vinyl I believe, hence the name.

I have the DL16Fifty6 v2 and it's great, very fast on the Ultra presets and can be nicely distorted if you like. Probably good for mastering, can't say I've really used it in that context yet, think I'll give it a try
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I know that this isn't really answering your question, but I'm sure others will chime in on that. Instead . . .

Depending on the amount of dB you're looking to shave off, and the style of music you're working with, you might also want to try a clipper. Airwindows AdClip . . . (I think Chris is up to AdClip7 now, it's hard to keep track), and all Chris' stuff is donation via Patreon, so if you find it useful you can throw him some bucks . . . but free to try and use in the meantime.
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:

Try demoing DMG Limitless one of the very best.
I've used it for the last 3 years or so, great for mastering.
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
Well, you'd be right in that Nebula can't do Brickwall Limiting. None of those libraries will do that but instead, they are high ratio and potentially very fast reacting compressors. That's the old definition of a Limiter before the modern brickwall limiting we have today. They were named specifically for limiting peaks and dynamic range when cutting to vinyl I believe, hence the name.

I have the DL16Fifty6 v2 and it's great, very fast on the Ultra presets and can be nicely distorted if you like. Probably good for mastering, can't say I've really used it in that context yet, think I'll give it a try
Thanks for the advice, yeah please let me know your thoughts on TimP as a Master limiter. I guess brickwall needed for the loudness wars thing but not sure how bothered I am about that. Will do a side by side with Limitless and AirWindows as the others mentioned against TimP stuff and see how I get on i guess
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, yeah please let me know your thoughts on TimP as a Master limiter. I guess brickwall needed for the loudness wars thing but not sure how bothered I am about that. Will do a side by side with Limitless and AirWindows as the others mentioned against TimP stuff and see how I get on i guess
For sure if you don't want to even hit 0db then it won't matter what you use as your final limiter. But what you're comparing here are 3 totally different things. A clipper, a nebula compressor and a digital limiter. You could use all 3 and use them all for different purposes. The compressor/limiter from TimP for controlling dynamic range, the clipper to shave off the sharpest peaks and then Limitless (which is a very complex tool by any standard) to achieve the final balance.

Old 30th October 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
For sure if you don't want to even hit 0db then it won't matter what you use as your final limiter. But what you're comparing here are 3 totally different things. A clipper, a nebula compressor and a digital limiter. You could use all 3 and use them all for different purposes. The compressor/limiter from TimP for controlling dynamic range, the clipper to shave off the sharpest peaks and then Limitless (which is a very complex tool by any standard) to achieve the final balance.

Really helpful, thanks. I've always just put a nice acqua compressor like Violet on mix buss with Toneboosters barricade after that on a preset and that was my final mix. When it comes to clippers I'm a bit lost as I can't actually hear what they're doing. This is why mastering is a bit of a mystery to me because my ears aren't tuned in I guess but something I want to get better at!
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Nut

Hey guys im an old nebula 3 user and never got into its compressors since they fell behind in that category but read in past couple years they got good so looking for something that sounds and acts like hardware. Recommend me please favorite neb compressor(s)
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollo321 View Post
Hey guys im an old nebula 3 user and never got into its compressors since they fell behind in that category but read in past couple years they got good so looking for something that sounds and acts like hardware. Recommend me please favorite neb compressor(s)
All Cupwise and TimP compressors.

*Favorite?

L-bus comp
OPTO 3a V2
U76 V3
FLUCTI-MEW
LUNCHPAI
C254-E
RAYPHLEX
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict

Just bought TimPs C1061 v2 and L-Bus. Been looking at em for some time now, L-Bus has been one that folk have raved about since it was released. Very keen to try it myself
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post

*Favorite?

L-bus comp
OPTO 3a V2
U76 V3
FLUCTI-MEW
LUNCHPAI
C254-E
RAYPHLEX
I use the TimP ones and every one has its advantages and disadvantages depending on signal. I almost solely use these (and Acquas) and rarely turn to algos now. I think they sound amazing.
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Nut

especially interested in 3a and 2a compressors.i see tim p has opto3a and 100a. Opto 3a i see has 2a attack option so should that one compressor have me covered for both 2a and 3a compressors or also pick up 100a?
Thanks
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

All Tim P's compressors are great. The 3a, 100a, Vari-Level, Complex, L-Buss, and U76v.2 are all great, best in Nebula.

The latest Acquas are also fantastic. The Viridian comp, Cream comps, Water comp and Magenta4 compressor's and Pink2 are all worth a look. they are all different and all shine on different things. Best thing to do is trial them to see if they do what you want them to. Tan is free, as well as the Violet CM edition, both of which are very good indeed.

Oh, and don't forget Mantis from Soundrops. Transparent and effective. So, so classy...............
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear
Without turning this into a laundry list, I want to bring each Tim's 160 to the table. They are different but both great and super useful. Tim C's also has a variable attack and release unlike the origianl if I recall.

160s are mostly clean but like in hardware, you might surprise yourself at just how often you reach for it I have Mantis for this too, but sometimes I prefer the extra body that a 160 brings to a clean or utiity comp job than Mantis, which for me is sometimes too clean!
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post

*Favorite?

L-bus comp
OPTO 3a V2
U76 V3
FLUCTI-MEW
LUNCHPAI
C254-E
RAYPHLEX
If I could only have one of those it would actually be the OPTO 3a V2. They are all excellent, but I'm in love with the OPTO.
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
If I could only have one of those it would actually be the OPTO 3a V2. They are all excellent, but I'm in love with the OPTO.
Opto, L-BUS and Vari-Level need to be in everyone's toolkit :¬)

And Viridian. Magic.
Old 31st October 2018
His 76 is very impressive as well. So is his 160a.
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Maniac

TimpS Complex Comp/Limiter v2 - simply fantastic. It's like gentle and prim UK-character version of cheeky american 1176 (same as gentle and round C1061 comparing to classic sharp 4K Bus compression).
Also often overlooked Focus Comp Pro v2 - pretty unexpensive one, but with tons of character, very useful fast comp.
TNT Dynamics - what a dirty beast! Smashing dynamics to extreme with lot of THD, yummy!
Shape Modifier - blows my mind every time i use it, and brings smile to my face. Gives sooo natural dynamic extension/reduction. None of existing transient processors can even approach.

Every TimP's tool just like little universe - piece of art. He has no soothers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search