The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 14th October 2018
Gear Nut

Hi guys,

i bought vb plate the other day (sounds great) but i'm getting stuttering/crackling when i put it on an fx bus despite my cpu/ram being low (buffer at 1024), Kontakt isn't showing signs of disk issues, Cubase and the pc performance running at roughly 40pc. Everything running off ssd. I can bypass it and then turn it on again in N4 and the stuttering sound partially goes away but is still there. This is using the 44.1 presets in a 44.1 project. All other TP libraries i have don't do this unless i'm maxing out my computer.

Has anyone else experiencing this with that library or can think of anything else it could be ?
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

AlexB new Vintage W295A - W295B EQ’s are OUT!!!

AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - W295A Vintage eQ - Nebula Programs

AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - W295B Vintage eQ - Nebula Programs

Warm, thick, creamy, lightly softening the transients and forward sounding.

Music pass-thru without any tweaks (first without and then with):
W295A @ Box

W295B @ Box

The top and bottom end are incredible. The TILT function is soooo useful.

Last edited by davidgary73; 15th October 2018 at 10:09 AM..
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Blackburn View Post
Hi guys,

i bought vb plate the other day (sounds great) but i'm getting stuttering/crackling when i put it on an fx bus despite my cpu/ram being low (buffer at 1024), Kontakt isn't showing signs of disk issues, Cubase and the pc performance running at roughly 40pc. Everything running off ssd. I can bypass it and then turn it on again in N4 and the stuttering sound partially goes away but is still there. This is using the 44.1 presets in a 44.1 project. All other TP libraries i have don't do this unless i'm maxing out my computer.

Has anyone else experiencing this with that library or can think of anything else it could be ?
Make an N4 “Setup” with VB Plate and set DSPBUFFER at 4096. This will help heaps in reducing CPU usage and no more crackling
Old 15th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Transcending Music tools are just so forward in time, even nowdays. They're truly unique and innovative in terms of approach to sound processing.
Also i find out that you really have to dig into them to get impressive results.

TM's site is no longer active, but he is still selling his presets directly, Bob's contact info: transcendingmusic AT yahoo DOT com

I gathered lot of info around this forum, KVR, Gearslutz, TM's manuals ant other sources and compile it into kind of "TIPS" text file for myself.
To help people better understand Bob's tools and unlock their potential, i wish to share it with you.

Behemoth
/ LO END THUMP / CLNUP / HI DTL / DYN EQ /
Level 1 for single instruments, Level 2, 3 adding and apparent increasing overall effect.
+ Increase the Drive for tighter and defined sounds.
- Decrease your Drive to put back in any fundamental bass you feel was filtered too much.
- On a master with Level 2 low end dynamics are musically improved + subtle but nice balance achieved on the whole spectrum.
- Does wonder to a sub, it gives it so much weight and power, enhance low area without mudding up things.
- If you're struggling with the low-end to be defined better on the whole freq spectrum or being able to be heard on smaller speakers better, then this is definitely what you need.
- If you want loudness while mastering but finding yourself pushing the limiter too much to get closer to "that" sound, this library helps preventing over-compression ugliness.
- If you have the problem of the kick not being heard on the higher freq.s, not getting enough punch with plug-ins you already have...there's a good chance this library can work.
- Can help for a better "flow", to detect and deliver punch in some aural balance, to excite them somehow in a way with "tempo".
- Restoration! able to bring back definition and dynamics to brickwalled squashed tracks. It worked nice with setting 2 or 3, with a small tweak on drive. That thin sounding brick started to sound like something commercial.

My Son Max
/ LOW / HIGH / BALANCE / CLNUP /
- Just leave everything at 0 on the master, it really does something great in this case.
- Useful when mastering or even on the Master bus while mixing. A bit of high and low will balance your mix a lot! Mud cleaner.
- Always keeping it really smooth (like 2 dB LOW and 1 dB HIGH, or even less). It's not working if I want a really natural sound.
- As final touch for mastering: you can enhance in a subtle way a song or a mix after src and before dithering. It really helps to give more depth and clarity to the entire project.
- As a mixing tool, by emphasizing different frequencies on different channels or busses.
- On synth buss it does miracles, just glues the lows in a, let's say, unnatural but kind way.
- On a drum group track adds some shimmering highs (just a touch 2-3db HIGH) which helps the kit to cut through in the mix nicely.
- Able to restore dynamics and bring back live to totally brickwalled tracks.

So Transcited
/ HI END / TRANSIENT / XCTR / VTLZR /
- SPL Vitalizer-like Fletcher-Munson curve for Hi freq's, but transiens aimed.
- Try it on a full mix: 1dB on the lowest setting somewhere between 400 and 500hz does the trick.
- Import it in Metaplugin for some M/S excitement. Follow it by MS Smith boosting stereo by 1dB or so and you could be a little suprised.
- To sound more intense or cut better through the mix, without becoming "louder", this can be a great help, besides eq and compression.
- Loves percussive or transient rich signals where it can detect and grow new upper harmonics for clarity, fullness, and overall impact while virtually leaving the peak out put intact.
- Restores natural dynamics for mid-high-end of heavily cilpped brickwalled matherial.

Xformer Verda
/ LO END / XCTR / DE MUDIFIER /
Input transformer driven low band EQ, based on J*****k “Q”, with dark transformer distortion.
+ Boosts lows without adding mud.
+ Freq range from 40hz to 150hz, very colored eq.
+ Operating range is best around -16 dB. Always watch your clip indicators.
+ “Drive” can be used for more aggression and up to about 7 dB offers a good response.
- Really does warm the signal up, so compensate for high's if necessary.
- Mellows things out while at the same time creating an aggression and depth around the set frequency.
- Filling in harmonic gaps to create density and fullness but as highvoltage mentioned, without mud.
- Impart a thick and rounded sound to the low frequency.
- Adds bass to a kick and retains the attack perfectly.
- Not just about boosting general resonance, but adding _relative_ musical harmonics; LOW 'So Transcited'
- Use it with a transparent compressor with transparent settings and listen to the beefiness.

78Five
/ COMP / SHAPER / FET DIST / SAT /
Thick as hell ! Fat ass дow end punch. Tons of mojo. Not typical comp.
Allows for so much sculpting. Transient shaping, emphasizing snap attack.
Сan compress more than 6dB in a natural way, has the famous Nebula analog mojo.
Reminds UBK-1, with the options of adjusting rhythmic and sonic character.
Adds a dark pulsating feel, rhythmic compression, driving forward movement, focus and punch.
- In instrument presets Threshold dictates how much presence is allowed, however punch is sustained throughout threshold adjustments, regardless. With higher thresholds you are just tickling the peaks, sonically, more or less, kind of a micro compression that is more about tone and letting the distortion breath that helps brightens the signal and presents less audible compression. In this state these instrument presets have an 'inflator' type behavior.
- Deeper thresholds starts clamping on the body of the signal and you get darker, rounder tones but still punchy results with again more or less level matched outputs. But be mindful of make-up gain and/or output when necessary.
- Upon insertion of these instrument presets, you are already dealing with level matched compression/excitation so just putting it on a track, with 0 threshold will give you some nice flavor.
* Clean crispy guitars gained a different snap and weight.
* Horns felt a little glassier and classier.
* Lead vocals took on a great grainy yet still clear quality.
* Kick - adds punch, removes mudiness.
* Snare - reduces mudiness, adds sparkle and transient attack.
* Vocal - saturate with harmonics, smoothly compress.
* El Guitar - leveller-compressed, adds glue, harmonics.
* Ac Guitar - evens up, adds nice finish and firm.
* Bass - snaps the attack, evens out sustains, cleanup mud, adds harmonics.
* FET - allround 'better maker', seems like kinda equalize to equal loudness curve, and adds warm harmonics.

VCult
/ FULLNESS / WARMTH / BITE / CLIP /
[T] - for master, buss or track, full control with BIAS and 2nd DIST.
- lower Bias causes subtliest signals affected. Gives polished, hi-fi sound.
+ higher Bias more of the signal enhanced, especially transients. They can get sizzling hot!
[P6] - darker, rounder, warmer. For solid thick vibe with obvious tone.
/ Simply use the Nebula Drive parameter to increase or decrease harmonic distortion.
/ Less Bias, more Drive = boost Mids and Highs, evens out Lows
/ Less Drive, more Bias = boost Lows, makes em viscous like honey.
- Insert T preset and boost both sliders, add 1-2 db gain with limiter... mastering finished.
- Boosting the controls+balancing levels, get very special glue thats not similar to anything I tried itb.
- Put this before S*L comp, and get that 'round' and 'full' sound compressing drums.
- Use on bass, adds perfectly smooth, a bit fuzzy harmonics to the lowerend while retaining transients.
- Effects of this library are not necessarily subtle, but not nearly as "heavy". It's a great weapon for adding fullness and "warmth" to a source. i typically use it on buses including master.
- Saved the guitars on a song! they sounded too smooth, I wanted a little more bite, tried EQ, saturation, distortion but wasnt .. satisfied. Then I put on the VCult and the guitars finally got that BITE. Not ear-piercing, not digital, fuzzing, artificial distortion .. just angrier!
- After it, tracks didn't need as much eq'ing and when loudness is required it worked great right before a compressor type plug-in (comp, lim or clip). To get more of that magic, more instances can be inserted.
- With Decapitator: use it at the end of the chain following vcult, to tickle peaks, "bend" them down, round them out and inject the sophisticated sound into the signal.
- With higher Bias values you can clearly hear how more and more of the signal is being enhanced, espially transients. At lower bias settings transients would still be affected but only high level ones.
- It can bring back or add dynamics in a very fast but still musical way, it can bring focus/save vocals that's level is lower than ideal, bring back punch either in micro dynamic or section beginnings of songs, widen very good when inserted to S (like in m/s), add some musical gain, glue alone or with compressor after it.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

I have almost all comps from TimP and a lot of other compressors from Softube and so on. What do you think...would it make sense (make the mix more solid and glued) to buy a hardware mixbus compressor in the 2000 € range when I am otherwise mixing completely ITB, so that a DA AD conversation would be necessary? Or would that make no sense and I would be better of staying completely ITB??
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
I have almost all comps from TimP and a lot of other compressors from Softube and so on. What do you think...would it make sense (make the mix more solid and glued) to buy a hardware mixbus compressor in the 2000 € range when I am otherwise mixing completely ITB, so that a DA AD conversation would be necessary? Or would that make no sense and I would be better of staying completely ITB??
Whether it makes sense to you is a personal thing. If you aren't hearing what you want from AA, then I guess it might make sense.

It doesn't make sense for me, but if I had the dough I might dabble for sure.

I love a lot of AA mix buss flavours, mostly flucti mew from cupwise for the music I do, but there are so many. Veridian I have found nice recently for Acoustic guitars and E GTR with bass and drums. Cream works there too. Of course L-Buss for beat heavy transients and synth projects in any EDM vein. Cobalt and Diamond are a great pair as well as Azure and flucti mew. Mantis and Henry Q trials I enjoyed and are on the buy list. So many great tools but....I would like to try silver bullet and a handful of other hardware when I win the lottery.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get a Silver Bullet instead. Glues, increases RMS (great at shaving transients), adds depth and width and is full of mojo. Plus you can run stems through it as the flick of a switch if you feel the need, and it has a marvellous preamp.

ITB compression is getting incredibly good now, but nothing ITB can replace the SB in my chain. Viridian (PYE) is insanely good on the mixbus. As is Weiss DS-1 (especially in parallel).
Old 16th October 2018
I just bought the N-10-7T3 console from CDSM and I have to say that it sounds very very good. I'm so happy with it that I had to make this short dry/wet video for those of you who are using Nebula consoles.
The demo from CDS page sounds quite dark/warm but the other channel and the rest of the programs (groups/mains) have more brightness and punch, especially those with the EQ engaged.
The console setup in this video is :
Mic pre no Eq (on every track) -> Line Eq in (on every track) -> Group preset -> Master preset.

Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Tim Petherick VG is OUT @ VG Reverb - Tim Petherick

Has a nice width & warm sound.

VGR short sample audio with no tweaks (first without and then with) @ Box

Last edited by davidgary73; 17th October 2018 at 10:13 AM..
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
YES!!!!!! But you don’t have to spend THAT much. I’m sorry I’m a HUGE LBUSS fan boy but MY MASTER has to hit ANALOG some way some how. I still feel ITB just doesn’t have that last 15% - 10% YET.
Old 17th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
YES!!!!!! But you don’t have to spend THAT much. I’m sorry I’m a HUGE LBUSS fan boy but MY MASTER has to hit ANALOG some way some how. I still feel ITB just doesn’t have that last 15% - 10% YET.
Couldnt agree more with that quote.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Agreed. Can't replace my HW mixbus with plugins. Extra magic!
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Great to read your opinions!!

what is on your mix busses then?
I usually put my analog heat on the 2bus via overbridge, that does work very well. elysia xpressor didn t work for me, maybe personal taste
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

If a Nebula library only contains 44.1 and 96k samples, I assume that with a 48k project, one should use the 96k version?
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloansimpson View Post
If a Nebula library only contains 44.1 and 96k samples, I assume that with a 48k project, one should use the 96k version?
Yup..correct
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Make an N4 “Setup” with VB Plate and set DSPBUFFER at 4096. This will help heaps in reducing CPU usage and no more crackling
Thanks David, absolutely no idea how to do N4 Setups. Was that a new feature with the update or can you do that with the original installation as well?
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Blackburn View Post
Thanks David, absolutely no idea how to do N4 Setups. Was that a new feature with the update or can you do that with the original installation as well?
Follow these steps shown by João Nunes

Setups @ YouTube

Adding DSPBUFFER @ YouTube
Old 19th October 2018
Gear Head

I just had to wipe my system drive and do a clean install. Now it seems like all my N4 presets, finder favorites, and the plugins I made with setups are missing. Thankfully, I have a backup of most of the old system's folders. Does anyone know how I could recover these things?
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
hello davidgary73
can you please explain how to do this? i'm a bit lost with nebula
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rici View Post
hello davidgary73
can you please explain how to do this? i'm a bit lost with nebula
Check out the video links above ^^^

"Follow these steps shown by João Nunes

Setups @ YouTube

Adding DSPBUFFER @ YouTube"
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Check out the video links above ^^^

"Follow these steps shown by João Nunes

Setups @ YouTube

Adding DSPBUFFER @ YouTube"
thank you Andy! ... didn't seen this post
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Maniac

I've been away from the Nebula land for some time now..

So it seems Nebula3 is discounted, is there still a way to download it? I own a license to Ultimate Server, and my TimP libraries don't work in N4 Player.
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
I've been away from the Nebula land for some time now..

So it seems Nebula3 is discounted, is there still a way to download it? I own a license to Ultimate Server, and my TimP libraries don't work in N4 Player.
Only the Nat4 libraries are working in N4 Player, and using Aquarius you can now demo N4 libraries. Contact support for the last N3 installer pack.
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Hi!

I'm having strange problems with Nebula N4 (last aquarius update).

I have the DSPbuffer internally set to 1024 and the buffer size to 1024 samples on Studio One 3 (Macbook Pro I7 2,2ghz mid-2015). When I add several instances of nebula and I increase the buffer size of my interface to 2048, instead of giving me some more room the CPU increases the performance, and when I set the buffer to something lower like 512 the CPU usage decreases (unlike the logic).

What frustrates me the most is that if the usage of the CPU is around 45% and I bypass all N4 instances (only using nebula) when I turn them on the CPU usage surprisingly hits it's maximum where it rests giving peaks and not leaving the possibility to play the project like I was a few seconds ago.

Anyone knows how I can solve this strange behavior? I understand that Nebula needs more CPU than algo plugins but this issues I'm having are killing my workflow seriously
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Addict

Hey guys, try Olonga's Milleniun TCS Elite Timed preset before Mantis. It's so smooth and shiny!!
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
Hey guys, try Olonga's Milleniun TCS Elite Timed preset before Mantis. It's so smooth and shiny!!
There are many TCS presets, but I can´t find one named ELITE TIMED ???
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Addict

Sorry, it's in the ELT category, Millenium h3 Timed or something quite near the top.

Use 2 in stereo
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear
So there's all this talk in the Aqua thread about the upcoming RCA BA6A El Rey.

It reminded me of someone saying earlier in this thread that Tim P is doing an RCA comp. Does anyone have any more info?
Old 26th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post

It reminded me of someone saying earlier in this thread that Tim P is doing an RCA comp. Does anyone have any more info?
It was me and no, I dont have any more info.
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post

Tim is still working on it and will be out when its ready

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search