The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 17th September 2018
Gear Maniac

I have a bunch of Acquas and quite a few nebulas, especially from Tim P.
I find that I am choosing Tim P compressors and EQs on tracks ahead of my acquas.
Magenta or Pink comps I have been using on the mix bus in series with Mantis which has been working well for me.
As a broad generalisation, I sometimes find that my acquas are a touch heavy handed when I try the comps or EQs on individual tracks versus the various nebulas that I use.

I am currently really enjoying using Bronze which being an Acqua Nebula library seems to be the best of both worlds.

Last edited by woodnut; 17th September 2018 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: extra comment
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
I quote your question and hope the compressor gurus here (like Bmanic and Will the Weirdo) will express their point of view, too.
My not so technical ears are telling me that the new compressors in Magenta are very very good, both in tone and in action, and Violet, Coral and Cobalt have always been great compressors for buses and glue. But, perhaps, there is still something more accurate in the action of Timp Opto3A and Sum100A. Today the gap is greatly reduced, btw (imho).
IMHO the Acqua comps are much improved and are about even with the limited functionality Nebula comps but hardware still rules hands down for compression, my bet would be we are 3-5 years from plugin comps getting really close to hardware comps.

Now then EQ is a different story where it all comes down to taste between Aqua's and Nebula and I'm reaching for both these days, in fact Bronze 2, Henry Q, and Ruby HQ are all over my current work. Hardware has just a small edge in EQ's at normal levels IMHO, it's only when pushing hardware EQ's where you can even tell much difference today. I keep going back and forth deciding if I want to add hardware EQ's to my API Box console, Nebula technology is making it a real debate too, I'm just not sure the money spent would be worth it.

In fact I've recently been going more hybrid and at normal level ranges digital today is right there with analogue, but when analogue is driven or pushed current digital falls behind IMHO. All in all I'm really enjoying the best of both worlds for now.

To each their own.
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

Ok I purchased TimP´s 1061 and I love it! Looks like everything this guy releases ist just beautiful
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
Ok I purchased TimP´s 1061 and I love it! Looks like everything this guy releases ist just beautiful
Yes, Tim P is a true Nebula Jedi!
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

yes...without a doubt! I purchased 1102 right away and it´s hands down my favorite eq itb!!
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

let me see what to purchase next...

Vintage Gyrator or Dual Tech Tube Passive...hmm

purchased the Dual Tech.

This month Tim can drink a beer or two on me :D

Last edited by filterfreak; 17th September 2018 at 05:27 PM..
Old 17th September 2018
Gear Addict

I'm waiting until I have a few zeros to spend on TimP and get the lot For now, I'm happy with the new Neb/Acquas, the Pink2 with that FAT graphic EQ and some class algos like Kush Hammer and Electra.
Old 18th September 2018
Lives for gear
Tim Cupwise is the other comp wizard. Often overlooked. His lunchpail and 2254 are serious libraries IMO.

Nebula land is way bigger than Aqualand. If you catch the Neb bug you'll be discovering for ages. And it's way cheaper too. (G was very good to support old libraries in N4. )
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Just a heads up in case this helps anyone avoid this issue in N4 :

I (and it seems a few others so far) have found an issue when using Acqua libraries (Bronze, Henry Q, Henry F, Violet, Tokyo EQ, Copper).
Basically, if I have added anything to the N4 repository (vectors or programs), since the mix was done with instances of Acqua libraries, the mix cannot be recalled. Reaper crashes and will not open that mix session unless I open in safe mode and remove all instances of said Acqua libraries, losing of course, all settings in the process.

Unfortunately I had just done a number of mixes with Henry Q and Bronze all over the place, I then added a few bits of the HO AYCE library and now I can no longer open those mixes in reaper.

The only way these mixes will open is to restore the vector and program folders to the *exact* state they were in when I added the Acqua library into that particular reaper session! This is only OK of course if you don't plan to ever get any more Nebula libraries since you did the mixes that you want to open!

It has been mentioned that Acustica are aware of this. Perhaps if anyone has this issue they could help by raising a ticket as I have.
Hopefully my post will help other users to avoid any heartache.

Last edited by woodnut; 19th September 2018 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: extra detail
Old 19th September 2018
Interesting that you figured this out. Perhaps it was my problem also.

I found in the past that I was able to reopen in safe mode, then enable the plugins in groups, as long as it was only AA stuff in the group. If I included other plugins in the groups, it would crash. After getting the AA stuff back up, I'd enable the other plugins.

Might be worth a shot.
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
Interesting that you figured this out. Perhaps it was my problem also.

I found in the past that I was able to reopen in safe mode, then enable the plugins in groups, as long as it was only AA stuff in the group. If I included other plugins in the groups, it would crash. After getting the AA stuff back up, I'd enable the other plugins.

Might be worth a shot.

I spent all of last night experimenting with clearing the MAST cache, deleting scanboot and temp CSV files. trying different scan settings in the N4 XML file.

I lost count of how many times I opened Reaper in safe mode trying different combinations of bringing the instances online to no avail. Sometimes They opened with programs from other libraries, sometimes they crash Reaper.

Finally to be sure of what I had found, I made a clean install with no third party libraries installed. I also made clean installs of Acqua libraries.

I made a new project in Reaper, added Acqua libraries Violet, Bronze, Henry Q, Henry F. I saved the project. Then I added just one program and vector file into the relevant nebula folders, tried to reopen the project and it crashes reaper. It seems like it loses its link to those instances, something is wrong with the scanning of the folders.

I tried to open in fx safety mode but as soon as I bring any one of the n4 instances containing an Acqua library online it hangs reaper. If I delete the program / vector file I can open the reaper project again.

I would definitely advise any users of N4 commercial to check before using instances of Acqua libraries in a session. All may be fine until there is a change to the N4 repository (Vectors / programs). You may suddenly find you cannot open those mix sessions.

A real shame, I'm loving Bronze and Henry Q!
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Oh that sucks badly. Hope you'll get it sorted out fast.
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks, Yes its set me back a bit this week but I'm hopeful of Acustica providing a solution as I *think* this issue is across the board, its not specific to my setup.

Basically from what I can tell, currently, if you have N4 commercial with third party libraries and then you get an Aqua library involved, trouble is likely ahead at some point.

I got a response to my ticket pretty quickly, they are well aware of the problem, are working on it and hope to provide information on a workaround via aquarius in the next few days. For now they have advised me to try and get my folders back to where they were when they were working and not to add any more libraries in the meantime.

While mixing over the last week and a bit I had been feeding bits of HO AYCE into the repository so its going to be very difficult to restore it to the state it was in when I was adding each instance on each different session over that period. Probably I need to let that go and just get on with putting the mixes back together again.

Last edited by woodnut; 19th September 2018 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Actually just to add, I did another experiment :

I made a clean install of N4 and did clean install of Bronze and Henry Q. I started a new session added these saved it, then I installed Henry F. That session with Bronze and Henry Q cannot then be opened. So it appears that it doesn't have to be third party libraries in the vector / program folders that triggers the bug.

If I uninstall Henry F the session can then be opened again without crashing Reaper.
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for doing that new 'Test', and confirming even an update will cause the issue.

AA is fully aware of this ... now the tough part in developing a solution.
Old 20th September 2018
Lives for gear

Hello Nebula users,

Are some good emulations of the following harware units:
- API 2500
- Chandler Zener Limiter
- UBK Fatso
- Shadow Hills Master compressor
- Some Neve mojo units, comparable in quality to Gold 2?

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Sergio

Last edited by sergioelectro; 20th September 2018 at 03:37 PM..
Old 20th September 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut View Post
Just a heads up in case this helps anyone avoid this issue in N4 :

I (and it seems a few others so far) have found an issue when using Acqua libraries (Bronze, Henry Q, Henry F, Violet, Tokyo EQ, Copper).
Basically, if I have added anything to the N4 repository (vectors or programs), since the mix was done with instances of Acqua libraries, the mix cannot be recalled. Reaper crashes and will not open that mix session unless I open in safe mode and remove all instances of said Acqua libraries, losing of course, all settings in the process.
I've been having similar issues in Cubase 9.5 on Windows 10 after installing some Acqua library trials - sessions were freezing while opening. When I removed N4 from the VST plugins folder, the sessions would open. I then removed all N4 instances from the sessions. The Nebula setups that I made from any libraries (older TimP and AlexB stuff as well as the newer Acqua libraries) would still work fine even though N4 had been removed from the plugins folder. After removing the N4 instances, the sessions open smoothly. I hope that helps. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Last edited by cinematree; 20th September 2018 at 07:25 PM..
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

This threads gotten so long now its too much to read but, was there ever an official proper answer as to why the upgrade from N3 to N4 was time limited.

I mean I don't know of any other software that time limits an upgrade from the previous version.... ever! It just stays there on the respective website.
Why is it so difficult to implement a fixed permanent upgrade price option from N3 to N4 on the Acustica website?!? My user login on the Acustica website shows my Nebula 3 Pro license, its in the system, all the database has to do is go "ok I see Neb 3 Pro license, display upgrade offer X, give Nebula 4 license if he pays Y" Simplez. Just makes no sense to me....
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
This threads gotten so long now its too much to read but, was there ever an official proper answer as to why the upgrade from N3 to N4 was time limited.

I mean I don't know of any other software that time limits an upgrade from the previous version.... ever! It just stays there on the respective website.
Why is it so difficult to implement a fixed permanent upgrade price option from N3 to N4 on the Acustica website?!? My user login on the Acustica website shows my Nebula 3 Pro license, its in the system, all the database has to do is go "ok I see Neb 3 Pro license, display upgrade offer X, give Nebula 4 license if he pays Y" Simplez. Just makes no sense to me....
AA has limited time frame upgrades or limited time frame special pricing pre-release products. AA had a 3 month discount window to upgrade from N3 to N4, enough people complained that AA then did another 3 month N3 to N4 discount, if you wanted to upgrade there was a lot of time to do it. Maybe AA will run another N4 upgrade special during Black Friday.

As to the why..... a lot of companies only offer sales or discounts at particular times, it's a long standing sales technique that help to boost sales within a particular time frame.

Just be glad you don't own Revoice Pro 3 and want to grab the 4 update because they delete your 3 after you pay so old projects will not load properly, lol. When asked about keeping 3 for older projects with 4, Synchroarts said you have to buy Revoice Pro again for $450! LOL Point is companies all have different quirks, for AA it's random N4 upgrade discounts and resale fees based on how much you bought the plugin for, lol.

Do remember you can always run the free N4 Player along with your full N3 to use the new N4 libraries in Aquarius.
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Toontrack has moved in that direction with Superior 3.
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks, Yes its set me back a bit this week but I'm hopeful of Acustica providing a solution as I *think* this issue is across the board, its not specific to my setup.

Basically from what I can tell, currently, if you have N4 commercial with third party libraries and then you get an Aqua library involved, trouble is likely ahead at some point.

I got a response to my ticket pretty quickly, they are well aware of the problem, are working on it and hope to provide information on a workaround via aquarius in the next few days. For now they have advised me to try and get my folders back to where they were when they were working and not to add any more libraries in the meantime.

While mixing over the last week and a bit I had been feeding bits of HO AYCE into the repository so its going to be very difficult to restore it to the state it was in when I was adding each instance on each different session over that period. Probably I need to let that go and just get on with putting the mixes back together again.
The logic behind N4 emulation presets and Acqua libraries for N4 order and recall is a work of more than 10 years, however the N4 UAE (Universal Acqua Engine) is a constant development to ensure our ecosystem between 3rd party products, Acqua effects plug-ins, Modula/Network, and Aquarius works reliably.

N4 and N4 Player not recall settings correctly after new products installed: N4 and N4 Player not recall settings correctly after new products installed : Acustica Audio Help-Desk Portal
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Maniac
There's been an update to N4 available for last couple of days in Aquarius yet I have not heard any mention of it anywhere, inc Acustica forum. There no release notes either, what's new, do I update?
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaSupport View Post
The logic behind N4 emulation presets and Acqua libraries for N4 order and recall is a work of more than 10 years, however the N4 UAE (Universal Acqua Engine) is a constant development to ensure our ecosystem between 3rd party products, Acqua effects plug-ins, Modula/Network, and Aquarius works reliably.

N4 and N4 Player not recall settings correctly after new products installed: N4 and N4 Player not recall settings correctly after new products installed : Acustica Audio Help-Desk Portal
The latest N4 update via Aquarius is working for me!

Thank you for dealing with this so quickly. I can open all of he mixes that I was working on now!
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello Nebula users,

Are some good emulations of the following harware units:
- API 2500
- Chandler Zener Limiter
- UBK Fatso
- Shadow Hills Master compressor
- Some Neve mojo units, comparable in quality to Gold 2?

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Sergio
Lunchpail Cupwise for API is a great library.
Tim P Blue 1102 is fantastic Neve flavour, I have Gold also and probably still use Blue 1102 more.
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
There's been an update to N4 available for last couple of days in Aquarius yet I have not heard any mention of it anywhere, inc Acustica forum. There no release notes either, what's new, do I update?
Yes..you can update N4. It more of an engine update.

Post by Zab in AA Official Group Facebook > New engine is fixing some old hardcore bugs related to repository handling. As i understand, the latest update is public beta fixing repository errors when reopening project containing ACQUA libraries. Also, if it doesn't work for you, you can simply revert to previous version using Aquarius.

Do join us @ Acustica Audio - Official Group public group | Facebook
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Maniac

Could anyone please advise me on the Mono-L and Stereo Modes in Nebula. I have read a bit on the Acustica forum, including the notes about the EVF (envelope follower) but I'm still a bit unsure.

The N4 manual says "Push this button for toggle between mono and stereo mode. Please note that the mono mode does not mean you will drop the stereo information, it means that Nebula will only process both left and right channels using mono kernels, it operates as if you were using the same ideal channel for all your stereo tracks, processing them separately. Enable this feature for equalisers or filters, especially if you are using them for mastering."

As far as I can tell the nebula EVF processes in mono, so an instance of an N4 library will process things dynamically the same in both channels when placed on a stereo track.

If for example I am using Tim P's Opto 3a on a stereo bus and I change the mode from mono-L (as it is as standard) to stereo, what, if anything, have I changed in the operation of this N4 instance?

I appreciate it may be better to use two instances of Opto 3a and use Reaper's internal routing to process these but I wanted to get a better understanding of the difference between stereo and mono-L. From the manual statement perhaps stereo mode should not be used for compressor instances such as opto 3a on a stereo track.

many thanks in advance!
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
AA has limited time frame upgrades or limited time frame special pricing pre-release products. AA had a 3 month discount window to upgrade from N3 to N4, enough people complained that AA then did another 3 month N3 to N4 discount, if you wanted to upgrade there was a lot of time to do it. Maybe AA will run another N4 upgrade special during Black Friday.

As to the why..... a lot of companies only offer sales or discounts at particular times, it's a long standing sales technique that help to boost sales within a particular time frame.
With all due respect, that does not answer my question, at all. Saying they did offer an upgrade but for limited time period does not answer why they can't just offer a permanent upgrade option? Like I say the vast majority of software out there offers just that, you only have to do a relatively tiny bit of coding on the website and once its done its an automated process. I am sure they'd bring in even more revenue by allowing existing owners to upgrade who would otherwise be put off by paying the full high price of the newer version.

Also, upgrades are not sales, quite why you even mentioned that I have no idea as that's two separate things. Again, most software companies offer a permanent upgrade path from previous version, in addition to any other time limited easter/xmas/black friday sales that they do.
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Could anyone please advise me on the Mono-L and Stereo Modes in Nebula. I have read a bit on the Acustica forum, including the notes about the EVF (envelope follower) but I'm still a bit unsure.

The N4 manual says "Push this button for toggle between mono and stereo mode. Please note that the mono mode does not mean you will drop the stereo information, it means that Nebula will only process both left and right channels using mono kernels, it operates as if you were using the same ideal channel for all your stereo tracks, processing them separately. Enable this feature for equalisers or filters, especially if you are using them for mastering."

As far as I can tell the nebula EVF processes in mono, so an instance of an N4 library will process things dynamically the same in both channels when placed on a stereo track.

If for example I am using Tim P's Opto 3a on a stereo bus and I change the mode from mono-L (as it is as standard) to stereo, what, if anything, have I changed in the operation of this N4 instance?

I appreciate it may be better to use two instances of Opto 3a and use Reaper's internal routing to process these but I wanted to get a better understanding of the difference between stereo and mono-L. From the manual statement perhaps stereo mode should not be used for compressor instances such as opto 3a on a stereo track.

many thanks in advance!
Hi,
It won’t make a difference changing that parameter for this comp as it was a single unit sampled and yes nebula’s evf affects both LR equally. For dual mono effect you will need to route two instances, one per side.
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
With all due respect, that does not answer my question, at all. Saying they did offer an upgrade but for limited time period does not answer why they can't just offer a permanent upgrade option?
AA offered a limited time period N3 to N4 upgrade twice and only G knows exactly why they did that, lol. You may need to ask him directly about a permanent upgrade, but I assume he did not offer one for a reason.

You may want to just accept it and move on to things that actually matter or you can do something about.
Old 21st September 2018
Here for the gear

I can hardly wait for a potential sale during the black friday or holiday season (but i will), to finally purchase a copy of N4.

I've been drooling for it for quite some time and have already begun buying my first libraries. For nostalgic purposes, I have already purchased the "EL8 DE-STRESSOR Preamp Collection" from CDS, because of my love for the actual distressor. I bought it so that I'm forced to be commited to buy N4 when/if it goes on sale.

I know there are tons of libs that might be your first choice over the EL8 Preamp, and I can only justify my choice simply because I wanted to have it. On that note, does anyone know of any other/better distressor libs, perhaps a lib that actually does compression rather than just the preamp mojo?

Additionally at this moment in time, what would be your first few libraries if you were starting out with Nebula right now, like me.

If it helps, I produce a lot of Techno and House and currently work both inside and outside of the box.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search