The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Hi all, I just bought issue 260 of Computer Music Magazine to receive Violet for free (I never upgraded to N4 so didn't have access to Violet).

Does anyone know what hardware it's based on and how it compares to other Acqua compressors? I see no info on Violet under either the Nebula or the Acqua page on the AA site.
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Hi all, I just bought issue 260 of Computer Music Magazine to receive Violet for free (I never upgraded to N4 so didn't have access to Violet).

Does anyone know what hardware it's based on and how it compares to other Acqua compressors? I see no info on Violet under either the Nebula or the Acqua page on the AA site.
Why you don’t take a look at doom64 list? I’m sure it’s there.
Anyway, I think is Thermionic something
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post

Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Why you don’t take a look at doom64 list? I’m sure it’s there.
Anyway, I think is Thermionic something
I checked Doom’s list, before I even searched the GS forums. Found very little info on it (Core version, etc).

I’m unable to install/demo it for at least another day and was hoping to read up on it. Will probably need to go back to the Nebula thread when it was first released to get the scoop.

I guess my primary question is I think violet is a vari mu design and curious if anyone has compared it to the new comps in Magenta 4.
Old 10th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Mantis will no doubt add glue to your Mixbus. I haven't tried L-bus yet but I'm confident Mantis however does not glue "like" an SSL bus comp. It's a very classy musical tool that imo glues the image like those old school hand held magnifying glasses. Minute details get filled in and then spread beyond the edges of the speakers but stay focused in the mids with a convex smooth finish all in a transparent way. Elements although more coherent(glued) now have more perceived space in between. Truly a mastering/finishing compressor or if your like me the first choice to try on my Mixbus followed by a colorful eq. SSL is a brute and non conformative in comparison. Try it if you havent My mixbus preferances are Aquamarine, Magenta, and Mantis. I sometimes miss the smack of the SSL but now a days I'd prefer that on drums which I rarely mix now. I'll let RJ answer the "meat" foundation question as that is subjective and it would be better to hear from him.

Just cuz I can't wait for the NBA season to start, The SSL bus comp I liken to LeBron James, once he's on the team, he takes over everything but you have a higher chance of success (to sound like a record), Mantis on the other hand is Steph Curry, may not swing the pendulum to win by himself, but surrounded by an ace team will put them over the top into the realm of cheat code status. During mastering, if I have a weak mix, SSL, good mix, Mantis. Both highly valued depending on needs.
Asher! This is awesome! What a great analogy! I think i totally understand what you are saying and it is extremely useful, thank you!

Out of interest how would you set it for the mixbus. At the moment i have set like l-bus, slowest attack, fastest release threshold to taste.
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Maniac
The Violet CM is the compressor from Violet and the croasover from Titanium 3B YouTube
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeete View Post
Asher bro, you are hands down the greatest plugin poet in our community! You are one talented metaphoric mofo. I love the meticulous style in what must be your protocol, as I am always surprised that you don’t own many of the plugins you have documented.

your greatest fan
Peter
I cant tell you how many times while I was in college professors would drop a note in my end of year reviews that I needed to pursue a career in writing novels. The mixing/producing thing kind of fell into my lap because of my writing and I just happened to fall in love with it.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

The Proverbial Plugin Poet
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
I cant tell you how many times while I was in college professors would drop a note in my end of year reviews that I needed to pursue a career in writing novels. The mixing/producing thing kind of fell into my lap because of my writing and I just happened to fall in love with it.
Haha! That's brilliant! Good for you man! Love it!
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Nut
I have been experimenting, listening and just testing the comps I have in nebula land.

I have concluded that AlexB has the tone, dont know how close to hw, but it moves the audio in a special way. Setting up a separate GR meter in REAPER I can see that it is not flat but moving without any compression action set up. This even shows up on N4 GR meter if you watch it, you can see some spikes. Not sure if that is "correct or wrong" but it sounds "good/alive". The comp action is usually not that great, seems like high end gets compressed and mushy.
Continuing to TimC - compression is right, at least feels to me much better than AlexB. But it does not have that density, tone that alexb programs have. It has tone but not that moving lifelike quality.
And last - TimP, well these just work! Complex is amazing, Opto3a as well. Blue mu quite good as well and so forth. Tone is also better than TimC on higher comp levels.

I really wanted more tone, lifelike quality from Cupwise comps so I tried following the comps with AlexB programs without compression. And voila I stumbled upon two killer combos - Lunchpail followed by A5D and 254E followed by N54. This has crazy color, but it has so much weight on neve side and amazing glossiness with API combo. Also tried blue mu followed by c1b and got more tubiness. Well at least I thought so.
I know that this might be wrong, but boy I really enjoyed these combo tones. You can compress s**t loads with cupwise neve and follow that with n54 and you get that low end weight. Try bass with cupwise 254, 4-9dB comp and then add n54 and its PHATT! Or guitar compressed 3-4dB and then add a5d and you get that punchy glosssy attack.
Also - for LA2A type, got for opto3a with la2a attack and STN la2a type pre. Very nice weight, not that midrangy as opto pre.
Tried l-bus and alexb gcomps, both 4k and 9k. 9k had a more hifi sound, 4k - did not care, and original l-bus had better transients.

I do not have a question, just wondering has anyone tried this kind of combos and can share some other good ones? Or am I crazy and this is "wrong"?
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
I have been experimenting, listening and just testing the comps I have in nebula land.

I have concluded that AlexB has the tone, dont know how close to hw, but it moves the audio in a special way. Setting up a separate GR meter in REAPER I can see that it is not flat but moving without any compression action set up. This even shows up on N4 GR meter if you watch it, you can see some spikes. Not sure if that is "correct or wrong" but it sounds "good/alive". The comp action is usually not that great, seems like high end gets compressed and mushy.
Continuing to TimC - compression is right, at least feels to me much better than AlexB. But it does not have that density, tone that alexb programs have. It has tone but not that moving lifelike quality.
And last - TimP, well these just work! Complex is amazing, Opto3a as well. Blue mu quite good as well and so forth. Tone is also better than TimC on higher comp levels.

I really wanted more tone, lifelike quality from Cupwise comps so I tried following the comps with AlexB programs without compression. And voila I stumbled upon two killer combos - Lunchpail followed by A5D and 254E followed by N54. This has crazy color, but it has so much weight on neve side and amazing glossiness with API combo. Also tried blue mu followed by c1b and got more tubiness. Well at least I thought so.
I know that this might be wrong, but boy I really enjoyed these combo tones. You can compress s**t loads with cupwise neve and follow that with n54 and you get that low end weight. Try bass with cupwise 254, 4-9dB comp and then add n54 and its PHATT! Or guitar compressed 3-4dB and then add a5d and you get that punchy glosssy attack.
Also - for LA2A type, got for opto3a with la2a attack and STN la2a type pre. Very nice weight, not that midrangy as opto pre.
Tried l-bus and alexb gcomps, both 4k and 9k. 9k had a more hifi sound, 4k - did not care, and original l-bus had better transients.

I do not have a question, just wondering has anyone tried this kind of combos and can share some other good ones? Or am I crazy and this is "wrong"?
You aren’t wrong. Chaining is chaining. Wait till you give CDS consoles a try. The Neve mains is beautiful and I’m NOT much of a Neve fan. But keep experimenting. Makes you feel like why hasn’t this tech become the norm.
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
You aren’t wrong. Chaining is chaining. Wait till you give CDS consoles a try. The Neve mains is beautiful and I’m NOT much of a Neve fan. But keep experimenting. Makes you feel like why hasn’t this tech become the norm.
I have not tried any of the CDS consoles or anything from him except for Tapes. How do they compare to AlexB? I mean I have A16 and R88, would 107n3 complement them?

I thought that CDS is not active anymore and somehow dismissed his libs. :/
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Nut

I've recently purchased N4 and am looking at AlexB's consoles. I'm not really sure the differences between MFC and R88? Any opinions on which to go with first?
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloansimpson View Post
I've recently purchased N4 and am looking at AlexB's consoles. I'm not really sure the differences between MFC and R88? Any opinions on which to go with first?
Can’t compare, only have MFC and the 9k.

But MFC is the runaway most recommended, and is a cant miss.
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloansimpson View Post
I really like Alex b's console libraries and have R88, MFC, N14, A16 and SP79. I don't have the matching EQ or Comp libraries however.

I use the various Mic preamps on individual tracks and the also use one of the master bus instances on my mix bus.

to me, MFC sounds quite big and airy (soundstage) compared to the others which can work well with some mixes, opening up the space. But, often I find it a little too diffuse sounding with my material and favour n14 or R88, which to me, sound a bit more tight and solid.
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Nut

A few of my favorite consoles fly under the radar: Olonga's Titan can make an awesome Helios console, Signal To Noize has a Langevin console that is like a warmer API and great for folk-rock, and Olonga's EMI stuff can also make a console or just run everything through EMI Line In and things fall into place nicely. I have MFC and it's pretty awesome for a big soundstage like previously stated, but when you use it on everything it can sound a bit set back and too relaxed for me. I like it on synths or anything atmospheric.
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

Tim Petherick's new VR Plate Reverb is available @ https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/vbp-reverb/

And New Comp coming soon
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-tims-new-comp.png  
Old 20th August 2018
Hello all you lovely people,

I have AlexB's free TFT V1 and am looking for V2. Does anyone here have V2 that they can send to me?
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Tim Petherick's new VR Plate Reverb is available @ VB Plate Reverb - Tim Petherick

And New Comp coming soon
Saw post. Voted it up. Bought.

Will now use without worry!
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Tim Petherick's new VR Plate Reverb is available @ https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/vbp-reverb/

And New Comp coming soon

Huge fan of TimP but if I have Ebony do I need this? Does it differ at all? (away from home so haven’t tried demo yet)
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Huge fan of TimP but if I have Ebony do I need this? Does it differ at all? (away from home so haven’t tried demo yet)
They are both Plates but different sounding, Tim's does not sound like an EMT 140 IMHO. Ebony has EQ's and comps with filters making it very versatile while Tim's Plate is just a quality Plate library but it uses less CPU.
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear
Vnxt has a 140. I have that and it's awesome. Looking forward to comparing to Tim's.
Old 21st August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
They are both Plates but different sounding, Tim's does not sound like an EMT 140 IMHO. Ebony has EQ's and comps with filters making it very versatile while Tim's Plate is just a quality Plate library but it uses less CPU.
Thanks Will, I mean for only £16 it's worth trying definitely and the CPU saving a huge bonus
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

And New Comp coming soon
[IMG]https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...s-new-comp.png[/IMG]

(Sorry can't make the thumbnail show up)

Any clues as to what this is?
Old 23rd August 2018
Here for the gear

Rca ba-6a
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Maniac
Hi guys, i did a couple of videos with Tim's VB Plate, hopefully you can get an idea of it's sound:

YouTube

YouTube
Old 24th August 2018
Gear Addict
Hi!
Anyone use CDSM's ACQ American Classsic ( API 560B style EQ)library.

Is it good? Thanks. John.
Old 24th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTW View Post
Hi!
Anyone use CDSM's ACQ American Classsic ( API 560B style EQ)library.

Is it good? Thanks. John.
It’s awesome.
Old 24th August 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
It’s awesome.
Thanks Patrick, that's my mind made up. Always liked the 560B in algo.
AA can't be bothered to send me my due discount voucher for Pink2 and others, after more than a week of asking,so I'll go for the Nebula route.
Prefer Nebula libraries anyway.
Thanks again, happy mixing. John.
Old 2nd September 2018
From Wisecup

i just finished an update for my lunchpail compressor library. i've
tested in all of the DAWs that i have access to, and i'm pretty
confident that this update will retain backwards compatibility with old
projects that were saved using the old library. but, i believe some DAWs
handle nebula programs saved in projects differently, so i can't be 100%
certain in all cases. if you're concerned about old projects not loading
the lunchpail instances you saved in the past, you should make a backup
of the old program/vector files just in case. but again, i think the old
project files should load with these new updates just fine in most or
all cases.

installing the update is easy- just place the new .n2p and .n2v files in
the proper folders. they will over-write the old ones (have identical
file names) if you haven't deleted the old ones first. you DO NOT have
to do anything with the skins. the skins have not been updated.

i'll be sending links to the updated lunchpail files soon after this email.

here are the updates:

*someone brought to my attention the fact that the compressor programs
were all set to use mono mode! this was a mistake on my part. it's not
*really* a big deal, all it means is that both channels were using the
same impulses (from the left channel). now it's fixed and both sampled
channels are being used. the difference is very subtle.

*the shq programs weren't using the maximum sampled lengths for the
harmonic impulses. now they are. this makes them take even longer to
render but the idea of shq is to be the very best, most accurate
recreation of the hardware. the harmonic impulses had lower frequency
content going out past the 2ms lengths that are used in the 'full'
versions, so now the shq programs will provide that. however, again,
this is very, very subtle.

*harmonics were completely redone using an entirely different 'system'
'under the hood'. the old system (by system i'm talking about the actual
coding in the nebula program itself, and how it handles the harmonic
samples) placed more importance on the input level coming into the
compressor programs, to determine how the harmonics would change
(increase/decrease) and react. the amount of compression you were
getting didn't have as much influence. now both input drive and
compression amount are equally important.

*harmonics were also re-balanced, and the levels are much higher than
they were in the old versions (several db). much more reflective of the
hardware samples i took. for some reason you can't really trust NAT
(program used to sample and produce nebula programs) to just produce
programs that give accurate harmonic levels, and sometimes you have to
go in and adjust them 'by hand'. which is what i did here for this
update (while comparing directly to samples from the hardware). so
theoretically the harmonics should be more noticeable now, but you may
not notice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search