The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
how do you think MMeQ is doing vs Magenta4 eq A guys ?

I'd also be really interested to hear any feedback on magenta 4 compared to MMEQ. Also how it sounds compared to flucti-mew.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut View Post
I'd also be really interested to hear any feedback on magenta 4 compared to MMEQ. Also how it sounds compared to flucti-mew.
I like both Magenta and MMEQ. I think MMEQ sounds a bit more natural. But I don’t think the difficulty in using it is worth the slight improvement in sound quality.

Magenta is miles better than flucti-mew. I can’t stand the action of that compressor. Something is really off with it. Magenta compressor feels like I’m using the hardware. It’s really nice
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

now i have A/B tested the eq`s

MMeQ sounds a bit softer to me vs Magenta4,
that could make me want to use MMeQ over magenta on the high shelf in some cases
some dont like M MP highs at all but i do
on the Mids i prefer Magenta because it sounds a bit more solid than MMeQ to me

MMeQ is great but Magenta4 is also great, i bought it yesterday so my ears liked it
Magenta4`s eq B is a great bonus its the Ma***y vox box eq i think

blending eq A and B makes Magenta4 a powerful tool
it sounded awesome on vox, snare and mixbus
on male vox i preferred the M MP on female i preferred the Vox Box eq in Magenta
in the project i was testing

i also like the varimu comp but i have not A/B tested it against flucti mew yet

i prefer Magenta4 the most personally
the Acqua workflow certainly helps swaying me in Magenta`s favor

having Magenta4 and MMeQ feels like having slight different sounding M MP`s to me
where one is a bit softer and the other feels a bit more solid
each can have a slight advantage over the other depending on the source

you cant really go wrong with either IMO
having both makes you feel spoiled
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Also nice to have an MMeQ for when an extra Band is needed.

I've not yet A/B Mag-4 vs MMeQ. My main focus have been on the Compressors.

I've also not compared Flex-MU or Blu-MU to the Magenta. Things I look forward to do later.

What I do like ... no 2 libraries/Acquas of similar equipment sound the same [just like in the hardware world].
That is a strength of the platform.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
I like both Magenta and MMEQ. I think MMEQ sounds a bit more natural. But I don’t think the difficulty in using it is worth the slight improvement in sound quality.

Magenta is miles better than flucti-mew. I can’t stand the action of that compressor. Something is really off with it. Magenta compressor feels like I’m using the hardware. It’s really nice
These are my findings as well. The EQ is a considerable improvement from the previous version. And with flucti-mew I've had similar results, really touchy and not much smack.

Drums: C2 or D1
Vocals: D2, also clipper has good distortion
Guitars: C1
Bass: B
Keys: C1 or C2

The GR meter's also a bit erratic.
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
If you demo it, you’ll buy it.
Aah! That's what I thought!
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Don't do it !!

Mantis is very different [sonically] to L-BUS.

Mantis is much more transparent and open sounding, yet can fill out the foundation 'meat' of a track. Especially nice for Mastering. Love it ... plus it is very easy to setup.

L-BUS has that 'classic' character a lot of people go for [understandably]. I hate to sound 'critical' of such a 'popular' compressor ... and I have used it often [many times WITH Mantis]. In practice, a 1dB reduction.

To throw 'care to the Neb thread wind' ... the latest MAGENTA-4 [ACQUA] Compressor is getting called for my current Mastering session. This brings another dimension/control to the equation.

Nice to have so many quality choices to pick/choose from. For my work, I need all of these.

Did that help ?
Lol! Kinda! Yeah, it was a very useful. The fact that you use Mantis and L-Bus together is very interesting and has sparked my curiosity further, i'm gonna have to demo it now I think. Thanks for sharing RJ.
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear
I'm a great believer in running comps in series. I think Mantis is outstanding at this because it is so transparent and has such a wide knee.

I just used it with TimC's Lunchpail 527 on the 2 bus, and I got the transparent strenghtning plus the A*I weight and roundness.

I'm sure it'll work wonders with his 2254 or TimP's L-bus. Looking forward to doing this a lot! And AlexB has a bunch of mojo type comps that Mantis could underpin. Henry too if I recall, but I mostly use his mics and pres.
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear

Other nice Mastering [or 2-BUS] Compressor combos:

Mantis and L-BUS

Mantis and MAGENTA4

To be clear ... each can be used as the only ... but sometimes the Combo method [with just a dB or so] brings that needed extra.

I tend to prefer a more transparent compressor for Mastering. With so many 'vibe' choices with ACQUAs and N-4, I want 'those' vibes to shine through.

If doing Combos, I like to have one comp available for 'groove' enhancement, while the second one to tamp down the dynamic range and strengthen/solidify the
mix structure and add depth, height/width.
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=moge;13451702]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
I think it would be more fair if it was at least offered for maybe another year or two but only at sale times i.e. upgrade during black friday if you haven't already.

I asked some questions about the initial offer. At that time I thought they were still floating the idea not realising it was actually a firm offer because no one on this thread seemed very interested in it apart from the comments that it was expensive.
After that I never heard anything about it never received any promotional emails etc

I read here at the end of July that it was the August 8 deadline and realised I wouldn't make it because I want some acquas first and the N4 boat has sailed at least for now.

I'm just wondering how many people even heard that there might be a N4 Slightly reduced upgrade price?

I have to agree with Synonym Music that the whole upgrade path is really
badly done. There must be tens of thousands of people who don't check
GS Facebook etc and would have absolutely no idea that there was an upgrade offer.
Hey moge, I am not sure why didn't get an email. It is possible that it is related to the whole EU regulations thing. However, the team in Lodi did send an email to N3 customers about this. I also posted about this around forums and on our Facebook group. I have now passed yours and previous feedback about it and this will considered in September. As I said, I cannot promise anything, but the info has been distributed to the correct channels.

For now what you can do is to open a ticket and let support know that you would like to receive any such future emails and they can update the system. In case you have bought some products already, this makes sense, as they also send loyalty discount codes.
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Many thanks for the comments on Magenta 4, MMEQ and Flucti-mew.

I managed to get my new computer up and running and demoed Magenta 4.

I really like Flucti-mew and have been using it on the mix bus in series with Lunchpail.

Magenta 4 sounds fantastic however and I did prefer it to Flucti-mew in my application, I think I will end up purchasing this Acqua.
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Maniac

I think I would like to give this a go, Mantis in series with another comp on the mix bus.

Perhaps something like Tokyo Dawn Labs Kotelnikov could achieve similar results. I have not really used it much since getting into nebula / acquas.

I have been enjoying using Lunchpail a lot, it has peaked my interest in Pink 2 although I have been unable demo Pink 2 as I have somehow used the trial slot already and the trial won't authorise.

Would anyone care to offer up any feedback on how Cupwise Lunchpail compares to the compressor in Pink 2?

Many thanks.
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Head

[QUOTE=Acustica Press;13456247][QUOTE=moge;13451702]

Hey moge, I am not sure why didn't get an email. It is possible that it is related to the whole EU regulations thing. However, the team in Lodi did send an email to N3 customers about this.

Thanks for replying to this.
I will take your advice and contact support. I am going to trial a few Acquas soon so I will do it at the same time.

Cheers
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I would like to give this a go, Mantis in series with another comp on the mix bus.

Perhaps something like Tokyo Dawn Labs Kotelnikov could achieve similar results. I have not really used it much since getting into nebula / acquas.

I have been enjoying using Lunchpail a lot, it has peaked my interest in Pink 2 although I have been unable demo Pink 2 as I have somehow used the trial slot already and the trial won't authorise.

Would anyone care to offer up any feedback on how Cupwise Lunchpail compares to the compressor in Pink 2?

Many thanks.
It’s FUNNY you would ask that as I was dealing with this dilemma at 3am this morning. The pink 2412 comp is sooooooo damn nice it replaced the lunch pail I had on a lead vocal. It’s smooth and beefy and damnit I want it in hardware form. It makes my laptop cry ( yeah yeah I’ll get a new pc soon I get more clients ) but it’s worth EVERY DAMN PENNY!
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I have been unable demo Pink 2 as I have somehow used the trial slot already and the trial won't authorise.
I would email support, as far as i am aware they can provide you with another trial.
Old 8th August 2018
Gear Nut

I've a question on moving from N4Player to the commercial version of N4. I have several projects in progress with N4P instances (running Bronze, Mantis, Tokyo). I understand that N4P/N4 can't coexist on my machine. What's the recommended solution to upgrading while I have these projects unfinished? Is there anything beyond screenshotting my current settings in N4P and manually setting those instances in N4?
Old 8th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Cupwise has new room reverbs, anyone tried? Just bought AITB E.A.R room reverbs but maybe nice to have more options
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Finally got around to updating N4 and all is well.

Having a go at Bronze, Mantis, Copper and Tokyo this week.

Quick question....is there a loyalty program for these the same as AA acquas?
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Finally got around to updating N4 and all is well.

Having a go at Bronze, Mantis, Copper and Tokyo this week.

Quick question....is there a loyalty program for these the same as AA acquas?
Unfortunately 'till now, no.
I've got them on their pre-sales.
Worth every penny, all of them.
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear
Any updates on Soundrops upcoming release?
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Mantis is much more transparent and open sounding, yet can fill out the foundation 'meat' of a track.
Hi RJ! By the "meat" do you mean that Mantis can be used to get the "Glue" going on the mixbus like L-Bus can? Thanks.
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Hi RJ! By the "meat" do you mean that Mantis can be used to get the "Glue" going on the mixbus like L-Bus can? Thanks.
Mantis will no doubt add glue to your Mixbus. I haven't tried L-bus yet but I'm confident Mantis however does not glue "like" an SSL bus comp. It's a very classy musical tool that imo glues the image like those old school hand held magnifying glasses. Minute details get filled in and then spread beyond the edges of the speakers but stay focused in the mids with a convex smooth finish all in a transparent way. Elements although more coherent(glued) now have more perceived space in between. Truly a mastering/finishing compressor or if your like me the first choice to try on my Mixbus followed by a colorful eq. SSL is a brute and non conformative in comparison. Try it if you havent My mixbus preferances are Aquamarine, Magenta, and Mantis. I sometimes miss the smack of the SSL but now a days I'd prefer that on drums which I rarely mix now. I'll let RJ answer the "meat" foundation question as that is subjective and it would be better to hear from him.

Just cuz I can't wait for the NBA season to start, The SSL bus comp I liken to LeBron James, once he's on the team, he takes over everything but you have a higher chance of success (to sound like a record), Mantis on the other hand is Steph Curry, may not swing the pendulum to win by himself, but surrounded by an ace team will put them over the top into the realm of cheat code status. During mastering, if I have a weak mix, SSL, good mix, Mantis. Both highly valued depending on needs.
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloansimpson View Post
I've a question on moving from N4Player to the commercial version of N4. I have several projects in progress with N4P instances (running Bronze, Mantis, Tokyo). I understand that N4P/N4 can't coexist on my machine. What's the recommended solution to upgrading while I have these projects unfinished? Is there anything beyond screenshotting my current settings in N4P and manually setting those instances in N4?
Hi sloansimpson, N4 Player is meant to have a seamless crossgrade function that will allow you to replace it with the full N4 version without having to manually copy/paste any settings. But to be frank with you, I have never done it and I am not sure if it works yet and how it works, but it should. As this is an important bit of info I will ask support now and get back to you as soon as I have the answer. Cheers
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acustica Press View Post
Hi sloansimpson, N4 Player is meant to have a seamless crossgrade function that will allow you to replace it with the full N4 version without having to manually copy/paste any settings. But to be frank with you, I have never done it and I am not sure if it works yet and how it works, but it should. As this is an important bit of info I will ask support now and get back to you as soon as I have the answer. Cheers
Hi,

I went ahead and took screenshots of my N4P instances in working projects, did the N4 install and found that it was indeed seamless (at least under Reaper 64/Win10), as I didn't need to change anything in my projects.
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloansimpson View Post
Hi,

I went ahead and took screenshots of my N4P instances in working projects, did the N4 install and found that it was indeed seamless (at least under Reaper 64/Win10), as I didn't need to change anything in my projects.
Oh, excellent! This saves me some work Good to hear it working. Thanks
Old 9th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Cupwise has new room reverbs, anyone tried? Just bought AITB E.A.R room reverbs but maybe nice to have more options
I bought room about 6 months ago and Its way enough for me. This library is wonderful
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I bought room about 6 months ago and Its way enough for me. This library is wonderful
Thanks and yeah totally agree. Might support Cupwise still though as he always seems aggrieved
Old 9th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Thanks and yeah totally agree. Might support Cupwise still though as he always seems aggrieved
Please report back once you try it, I might give it a shot as well if it cover another part of Room acoustic reverberation
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Mantis will no doubt add glue to your Mixbus. I haven't tried L-bus yet but I'm confident Mantis however does not glue "like" an SSL bus comp. It's a very classy musical tool that imo glues the image like those old school hand held magnifying glasses. Minute details get filled in and then spread beyond the edges of the speakers but stay focused in the mids with a convex smooth finish all in a transparent way. Elements although more coherent(glued) now have more perceived space in between. Truly a mastering/finishing compressor or if your like me the first choice to try on my Mixbus followed by a colorful eq. SSL is a brute and non conformative in comparison. Try it if you havent My mixbus preferances are Aquamarine, Magenta, and Mantis. I sometimes miss the smack of the SSL but now a days I'd prefer that on drums which I rarely mix now. I'll let RJ answer the "meat" foundation question as that is subjective and it would be better to hear from him.

Just cuz I can't wait for the NBA season to start, The SSL bus comp I liken to LeBron James, once he's on the team, he takes over everything but you have a higher chance of success (to sound like a record), Mantis on the other hand is Steph Curry, may not swing the pendulum to win by himself, but surrounded by an ace team will put them over the top into the realm of cheat code status. During mastering, if I have a weak mix, SSL, good mix, Mantis. Both highly valued depending on needs.
Asher bro, you are hands down the greatest plugin poet in our community! You are one talented metaphoric mofo. I love the meticulous style in what must be your protocol, as I am always surprised that you don’t own many of the plugins you have documented.

your greatest fan
Peter
Old 10th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Please report back once you try it, I might give it a shot as well if it cover another part of Room acoustic reverberation
Yeah bought these and definitely a very nice compliment to E.A.R. rooms. With a quick test, I love the stereo library, really adds some great space. All the rooms seem very lively and I really love the feedback option that EAR doesn't have that can be used as a great sounding effect. For $16 easily worth going for. I wouldn't have it instead of EAR though

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search